August 2022

Travel Humidors

Travel HumidorsTravel HumidorsLeft to Right
- Hickory- Hickory with Sycamore lid panel- Walnut with Canary lid panel (this one is a companion to this full size humidor, https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/423015, and is sold to the same individual)All have a nice friction fit lid with magnetic capture. They slide open and closed like a dream!Rubio Monocoat finish.Thanks!

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Aug-2022

Travel jewelry boxes / Small keepsake

Travel jewelry boxes / Small keepsakeSmall boxes with pull off lids. These are a “save” from a run of boxes that were intended to have hinges and magnets. Unfortunatly, I took the stock thickness too thin to accept the magnets and hinge screws and it generally turned into a mess after I ruined three trying to will it to work.So, I put them aside for about 8 months. Then decided to add a liner taller than I usually do, and voila, a really satisfying sliding action to open and close these now. They are tiny little boxes and I have 6 more to “save” from the original run…I'll get to those later!Padouk and “I can't recall”
Mahogany and PurpleheartThanks!

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Aug-2022

Slick

SlickNeeded a slick for upcoming timber framing project. As I've been playing around with blacksmithing for a couple of years thought I'd try to make it. Got a piece of O1 tool steel and fired up the forge. Is all forged from 1 piece of steel. Handle is turned white oak (handled the wood with steel dust on my hands so it turned a little black, oops). Blade is 10” by 1 1/2”, Handle is 18”. Works pretty well.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2022

Backyard Swing

Backyard SwingSo, my brother in law had an old swing on an A frame type structure. He asked if I could build a new swing so he can surprise his wife. This is what I came up with. Hope she likes the difference.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2022

Small bookcase

Small bookcaseThis was at an Airbnb where I stayed a couple of years ago, & I took a pic and a couple of measurements.
The wood is madrone, milled in northern California many years ago- difficult to dry, but great to work after that.
the 5/8” sides and shelves are joined with #10 biscuits. The trefoil design is very easy & fun- three tangent holes with a forstner bit & rout with a small cove. 22”, 32”, 10”, shelves angle 12.Does this happen to you?

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2022

How to Use a Router Dovetail Jig

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Not everyone's ready to tackle hand-cut dovetails. Here's how to get the most from your router and jig. Dovetails are prime joints. Long history, great appearance and cachet. Used in boxes, drawers and carcases. But for many woodworkers, cutting …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2022

Wine Rack

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Elegant results from a humble beginning. Thin strips of wood littered the shop floor after I completed the doors for a custom kitchen. Throwing these toothpicks away didn't seem right, but neither did storing them. So instead I used them …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2022

LxWxH - Vintage Puzzle Upgrade

LxWxH - Vintage Puzzle UpgradeHey Guys,I found another in the files, maybe this one you can make out more detail.This box was a souvenir box from somewhere tropical that has a sliding front panel that unlocks the lid when retracted.I saw an opportunity to build on what was existing.Basically, there is a draw bolt that I added that is perpendicular to the box's original front sliding panel. A pin in the draw bolt will align with a hole predrilled into the front sliding panel.The purpleheart pieces run perpendicular to the draw bolt. only when each other's notches is in alignment will the main draw bolt be retracted.The three little holly knobs act as the external slider handles for the purpleheart sliders.These letters in LxWxH are relatable on your phone pad, what numbers do they relate too?Easy peasy lemon squeezey, right?

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2022

Clock Box Pistol Storage

Clock Box Pistol StorageMy latest attempt at a clock box with hidden storage.
This one is Leopardwood with Maple. I always feel that little details make a difference.
The overall size is 13×5.5×7” tall. Interior storage is 10.5×3.5×5.5” I lined the bottom with 1/2” Kaizen foam.
I used my go-to finish that is lacquer with 10 coats sanded between each coat. I always seem to get good results with lacquer. I always use small rubber bumpers (the ones used for cabinet doors and drawers) on the bottom to protect the surfaces my clocks and boxes are set on.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2022

Blackout - Upcycled Puzzle Box

Blackout - Upcycled Puzzle BoxI came across this funky wood box, or something…The original boxy thing had the diamond shapes already out of the three sides and doors, and I added all the exotic wood parts.To me it already had a look like an antique lantern, though there was no evidence it was used as such, hmm, maybe an LED candle perhaps.If it wasn't for the cute little bubble on top of the door I might have left in in the 'another day' bin, and so it got a second chance at having a second chance, lol.So a lantern it became, though since it would never hold a candle, I did hide a super cool flashlight/lighter in the core as a juxtaposed treasure.I wish I could just show you how it all works guys, alas, the collectors of these pieces don't like all of the secrets exposed, you know how it is, if I tell ya, then I gotta take out the witnesses, lolCreate a super day guys!

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2022

Finishing Odds & Ends

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Four short (but crucial) finishing subjects. What follows are four concise - but important - finishing topics about which you've likely wondered. 1 - Metamerism Most of us have experienced a situation where we finish a project in our …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2022

Drawer Helper

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Drawer Helper Desperation is the mother of inventionisn't that how the old saying should go for woodworkers? I invented this device when I realized that the drawers in my new armoire tipped down way too much. Two of these helpers, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2022

Wine Caddy

Wine CaddyFirst wine caddy to be finished of my current batch. Drilled the center hole slightly too small per the template I was using but I'm not going to try and re-center a forsner bit that's 1/4 larger than the current hole.Cut out on the bandsaw, sanded to final form, used a 1/4” round over bit on the outsides and 1/2” round over for the center hole. Sanded from 80grit up to 320grit followed by a coat of wood honey. I forgot to brand it but I'll go back and do that later when I brand the rest of the caddies after their sanded to 320.Not sure the exact type of wood, my guess is maybe marblewood. Board came from a woodcraft exotic wood project pack that was on clearance.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2022

White Oak dining table

White Oak dining table96” by 43” dining table made from quarter and rift sawn white oak. Thanks to the Wood Whisperer for the design. Thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2022

DeWALT Miter Saw Recall

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

DeWALT is recalling nearly 1.4 million miter saws for a potential safety issue. According to the CSPC “The miter saw's rear safety guard can break or detach, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Aug-2022

The Return of the Great Brass Mallet

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Five years ago, I wrote a blog entry about the brass mallets I use for joinery. I mentioned the Canadian-made Veritas Mallet, a compact tool that weighs 17.6 oz (500gr) and costs $39, and a Taiwanese-made mallet heavier than …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Aug-2022

Avery's Carved Mirror

Avery's Carved MirrorHi:Today I completed a project I've been working on for the last 4 months. It is a carved mirror frame for my grand daughter Avery. She's 12 years old, and a fan of her “Grumps's carvings.Avery chose the images and sent them to me via email. These images were printed in color and used to produce a full sized pattern for the carving.Dimensions: 20 x 26 x 2
Wood: hard Red Birch
Paint: acrylic
Top Coat: Varathane Professional clear finish – satinTop left: Avery's name (of course). Yellow and violet are her favourite colors.Top Right: The family motor home, which is parked at a nearby lake resort.Right: A portrait of one of their Schnauzer puppy, and a Rubik's cube, because last year Avery has learned to solve the cube in 2 minutes. Her Dad taught her.Bottom right: The family outboard motor boat, parked in the marina.Bottom left: Portrait of Dad, Mom and Avery at the lake.Left: Avery's favourite bird, and of course maple leaves, cause they live in Canada.This is a complicated carving for a number of reasons:First, the panel needed to be assembled in two halves, and then the pattern was traced onto it. Then the centre of the panel was cut out on the bandsaw. The two sections were then glued together. A plunge router was used to set the depths throughout the carving. After that, everything was carved by hand.Second, the objects around the mirror sit on what I call a supporting background. This means some of the objects extend outside the background of the frame. This gets a little tricky as these parts of the carving are hard to get into, and they are often fragile.Third, all the objects are undercut to add to the illusion of shape and depth. This means working in awkward and difficult spaces, and a whole lot of bull-work.Fourth, the painting was time consuming and precise. And I'm slightly color blind, so my wife was invited to offer advice on colors.I really enjoyed carving this project. I am retired now and not under the restraints of time and income. So I could take my time and enjoy the process.God willing, this carving will become a life-long heirloom for Avery.BTW, I have one more grandchild to carve a mirror frame for. But he's only 6 years old, and will need to be a little older before he appreciates this type of thing.All the best,Bill

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2022

Vintage Pharmacy Cabinet

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

An Homage to the Past by Embracing the Present. Over the years it has become apparent that all projects are not created equal. Although, they all seem to come with their equal share of challenges and complexities. It never fails, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2022

Comments:

Thirteen Happy Mushrooms ( refrigerator magnets)

Thirteen Happy Mushrooms ( refrigerator magnets)I got this idea from watching a video of Slab City, Ca and some of the art displayed there. There were drawings of some of these happy mushrooms. My great granddaughters like magnets and they like mushrooms so I thought I should make them some. I pulled various scraps out of the wood storage room and I wound up with 13 after getting as many as I could from the scraps.
They are made from walnut, chestnut, Osage orange, box elder and 150 yr old cedar from a pickle vat. I finished all of them with Danish oil and then buffed and waxed them today.I added the last shot with all of them on my “refrigerator” display I use at craft shows to show what they are. They have a 3/4” x 1/8” rare earth magnet in the bottom held in with #6 SS wood screw.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2022

Made a Chair from a Tree

Made a Chair from a TreeI took a chair-making class in July 2022 with Kenneth and Angela Kortemeir at their Maine Coast Craft School, off-grid in the Maine woods. Kenneth makes beautiful stuff and knows how to gently help you do the same. We followed the method in the Make a Chair from a Tree book pretty closely. Each student completed a chair in seven days, using hand tools only, starting from a green oak log and ending with weaving the seat.We started splitting a large fresh oak log with starter wedges. You could see the moisture squirt out as the wedges went in. We used froes to further split the wood to try to get close to the size of the posts and rungs.Then the main work began with drawknives and shave horses. It took a while to turn out usable parts. We squared the posts, then made octagons, being careful to follow the fibers in the wood. This took days of intense work.We steam-bent the back posts to get a comfortable back angle. We chopped the back slat mortises with chisels. We bored the rung mortises with a brace and bit using levels and other tools. I tried to make a perfect tenon with a spokeshave, but quickly switched to Kenneth's hand-powered tenon cutter, which gave perfect results.On the last day, in the morning, we split the back slats, shaved them to 3/16ths, steam-bent them, and installed them with walnut pins. In the afternoon we wove the chair seat from Shaker tape. This was the best class I have ever taken. Finish is pure tung oil with a little citrus solvent. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2022

Comments:

small side table with dovetailed legs

small side table with dovetailed legsMade a little table for my lounge chair: 6/4 legs dovetailed into a 6/4 top. Fun, easy project and super strong. Was looking for a fairly minimalist table and this fit the bill. All hand tools.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Aug-2022

Table for office

Table for officeHi, I made this table for the office.The top is two pieces of baltic birch, which I pocket hole jointed together (I just bought a kreg pocket hole joint jig, and am a fan!). And, I attached a strip of red oak on either side – using pocket hold jig.The legs are just 2×4's, which I tapered on my table saw – first time tapering legs, and I really like how they look.Then I also added a little hanging shelf for a computer to sit.Finally, I finished it with danish oil which is my “go to” finishActually, I was wondering, is there a rub on oil finish that produces a lighter, closer to the original wood color finish?Thanks for your advice!

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Aug-2022

Wooden tray

Wooden trayThis was a couple of years ago, made from scraps of 5/16” oak flooring. The end butt joints are reinforced with Japanese tapered wooden nails. Gave it to my daughter to hold keys, etc..

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Aug-2022

It's the little things

It's the little thingsI built this little table for behind the couch. Very simple. I added the black outlet with USB connectors to charge the phones and get them out of the kitchen. I believe it was Art Mulder on YouTube that first gave me the idea.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Aug-2022

Wood and Resin coasters

Wood and Resin coastersExperimenting with wood and resin for fun and to see what projects I could easily crank out for craft fairs. These are made from wood I got from Woodcraft as part of their exotic hardwood project packs which were in the clearance section for half off. I ripped them to about 2 inches wide and so I got 2 pieces from each board. I've still go the other half to cast along with the other boards but my cellar is too cold for the epoxy to properly set right now with the central AC running.Cast the epoxy next to the board clamped in the mold, let it set, and then demolded. A number of trips through the planer brought everything level and about 1/2” thick. I then ripped each side to get a nice clean edge leaving the blank slightly smaller than 4” wide. Used the now ripped blank to set my crosscut sled so that all the coasters would be square. The now square coasters got all the edged rounded over with an 1/8” round over bit followed by sanding from 120 grit to 320 grit then wet sanding with 400, 500, and 1000 grit. A final sanding with 2000 grit and polarshine left the epoxy glassy. I hand sanded the wood with some extra 320 paper before cleaning everything off and then applying the wood honey. Wiped the excess off after 20 minutes and buffed with a spare cloth.Really happy how they turned out, I just wish I knew what the wood was. The sanding dust from the wood was kind of greenish yellow.I think they'll do well at craft fairs, I just need to perfect my production methods. I'm already figuring out a quick jig made of some plywood and scrap to form cleats to help anchor them when sanding as the ROS's pad is larger than the coaster itself.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Aug-2022

Olivewood and Resin wine caddy

Olivewood and Resin wine caddyI've been trying out casting resin and wood together with small projects. I had a silicone mold for wine caddies I bought to see if I could turn out a bunch for craft fairs. Used two pieces of scrap olive wood that came off a slab project laying around followed by resin mixed some mica powders from a sample pack.Planed down what came out of the mold to a uniform thickness and then smoothed out the bulges caused by the pieces being slightly bigger than the mold. I rounded overall the edges on with a 1/8” roundover bit in my router table. This was then followed by sanding at 120, 150, 240, 320, 400, 500, 1000, and 2000. The 500-1000 was wet sanding and the 2000 Abralon pad had polarshine on it. I went back and scuffed up the wood with 320 to open the wood up a bit. Finished everything with a coat of Totalboat's wood honey which I applied, let sit for about 20 minutes, and buffed off with a cloth.Overall I think it came out well and I learned a few things of what not to do when casting epoxy with wood and where I could improve. The end product looks a lot better and much different than what came out of the mold.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Aug-2022

Comments:

Walking stick I carved this week

Walking stick I carved this week Walking stick I carved this week for the farmers market. Carved with a Dremel 4300 with a flex shaft, the wood is unknown, just a stick I picked up.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2022

The Art of Resawing

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Resawing can be a wild ride. You never know exactly what's going to happen when you cut open a board! Just getting your tablesaw or bandsaw to work right can be an adventure, too. Resawing often pushes those machines to …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2022

Welcome Home! Modern Version

Welcome Home! Modern VersionI mentioned the modern variation of my Welcome Home plaque but never posted it. Oops! Design and build info are the same as the traditional version (see that post for details). The difference on this one is I use India ink to dye the back walnut piece and leave everything unfinished, sanded up to 400 grit for a silky smooth feel.I also like to find walnut with some imperfections to give it a more rustic look. This one had some nice bug holes that I think add character (see second picture).

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2022

An Unusual Retirement

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

In Conversation with Plane Maker Karl Holtey. Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the December 2020 issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine. In 2015, acclaimed hand plane maker Karl Holtey announced his impending retirement and was working on the 984 …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Aug-2022

Shaker Style Oak Dining Table

Shaker Style Oak Dining TableBuilt this for a friend about 2 years ago. A bit over 8' long with the simple slide-in leaves in place. plain sawn red oak that I planed to 7/8. the extra eighth makes a noticeable difference in weight and feel. Golden oak stain with 5 coats of Zar self leveling matte oil-based poly. Tried to talk her into tung oil, but the kid factor won out. The matte finish is actually quite nice when rubbed out. Little or no reflection but glass-smooth touch.
The two most challenging aspects of this build were 1. Keeping track of all the boards during glue-up and breadboarding to ensure that each board maintained its identity end to end. OK, I will admit to being easily distracted, and had to re-rip one leaf to properly rearrange the boards. Lesson learned: index and mark up your glue-ups reeeal good. And 2. Getting good glue joints on 9' long boards. I don't have a jointer, so I carefully tuned the table saw for good rips and then shot the boards by hand – a simple process of booking two boards to be joined, and shooting them with a Baily #5 followed a #7. They actually turned out seamless and that was the most gratifying part of the project. It also introduced me to the joys of a sharp, well tuned plane. But that's another story

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Aug-2022

Wilder's Rocking Horse

Wilder's Rocking HorseBuilt as a gift for my grandson's 2nd birthday from a pattern. I am glad I did not follow all of the instructions and held back on pre drilling all of the connection holes. Got covid in the middle of the project. After 2 weeks down came back to shop and broke the original tail which had to be amputated.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Aug-2022

Yard Schickt - A Yardstick Puzzle

Yard Schickt - A Yardstick PuzzleYard Schtickt is a voyage into unknown puzzle box making waters.I just couldn't help but make another recycled yardstick puzzle project.This one has the design so that each side is removable for exploring how it all works!Likely more fun then I should be having. ; )Fun to learn if anyone one is interested with a few plans on Etsy for those keen enough.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Aug-2022

Shallow Cut Eliminates Tear-Out

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

When I crosscut hardwood plywood, I use an old technique to minimize tearout on the bottom face. I simply make two passes with my general-purpose blade. After setting the rip fence, I cut a shallow groove, no more than 1/32 …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Aug-2022

Simple Spice Shelf..one day project

Simple Spice Shelf..one day projectOne need for large spice jars….36 inch shelf, 3.5 inch deep and ledge to keep them in. So i made the ledge with a 1/2 in dowel, marked matching holes for 1/4 inch dowels in shelf and dowel. Then drilled to about 1/8 or so depth. dry fit showed it was a go. i cut the dowel short on the ends for looks. i did use a pocket screw on the bottom to really secure the shelf but it was a snug fit anyways. a coat of matching stain and spray poly in an hour. Its Arizona and it works that way here. And thats the before and after, but of course the wife went right to it. now I just counted 14 large jars on this shelf. Shelf number 2 will go on the top of the range control with space for venting and the switch but only room for small spice jars and cans of seasoning. that one is 32 by 3.5 in.
Maybe some ideas for your kitchen and spouse.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2022

Wall cabinet

Wall cabinetWe have some unsightly electronics and outlets that The Customer wanted concealed. This wall cabinet emerged as the approved solution.Cherry case work with a single shelf, assembled with proud joinery.The front panel is Cherry with glueless kumiko made from Port Orford cedar. Behind it is some washi with embedded plant material that I judged to be harmonious with the wood colors. I also happened to have a piece in exactly the right size left over from another project.The front panel will be opened almost never, and so I did not bother with hinges and the like. Instead, I cut grooves into the top and bottom of the case and rabbets on the front panel. The panel can just be removed by lifting up and tilting out the bottom, just like a sliding door.Wall hung with a French cleat. Odie's oil finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2022

simple red oak desk

simple red oak deskmy dad recently moved to a continuing care community, and i convinced him to leave behind his old office desk (very heavy, particleboard and veneer). told him i'd build a desk for him, “you can do that?”finally finished this red oak desk – don't think i'll ever work with this material again…used the wrong plane and gouged the top. bought a new scraper, spent time sharpening it and testing it before touching the desk top. spent hours repairing the damage i caused smhseveral attempts at a simple penetrating stain…scrape, sand, try again. tested my biscuit joiner to attach the top with z-clips; it was the first thing that went right lolon the plus side, this was the first time i'd tried floating tenons – love the strength it gives joints. can't wait to try it again :)

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2022

Timber Frame Child's Bed

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Practice Traditional Building Joinery on a Smaller Scale Project #2104 Skill Level:Advanced Time: 2 Weeks Cost: $300 During my 14 years living in Europe, I marveled repeatedly at how these beautiful timber framed structures had withstood …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2022

Toughbuilt QuickSet Work Bench Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: QuickSet Work Bench TB-WB700 Shop Now   Manufacturer: ToughtBuilt MSRP: $99 Space in my shop is always at a premium, especially work surfaces. Most of the permanent counter space is reserved for the various tools I'm testing, and my …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2022

Paul Sellers Style Router Pkane

Paul Sellers Style Router PkaneI built this router plane because I wanted a second router. I already have an old Stanley 71. Sometimes it's very handy to have routers with different settings during a project.It is made from a single piece of walnut that is a reject gunstock blank.I followed Paul Sellers videos and purchased his hardware kit.Thanks for checking it out.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2022

A Real Stand-Up Clamp

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Sure-Foot F-Style Clamp Shop Now   Manufacturer: Rockler MSRP: $19.99+ There are few tools that couldn't use an improvement or twoeven the humble bar clamp. Rockler thought of a few improvements when coming up with their Sure-Foot F-Style Clamps.…Source

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2022

Comments:

hemlock farm house style bench

hemlock farm house style benchhere is a picture of a 5 ft long hemlock bench i made from rough cut hemlock sanded to 80 grit it is finished with 6 coats of a satin classic oak poly shade the top was made from a single 1×12 piece of hemlock hope you all enjoy

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2022

Scrap Pieces Box

Scrap Pieces BoxWith my wild cherry gall largely gone (will restock in mid-August) and much of my wood gone, I decided to make a box from scrap pieces I had in my little cut-off pieces box.I played around with some stains with this one. I glued the walls together first, and then took them to the miter saw, which was a bit unruly. Lining up and gluing the walls was no easy feat, and the whole thing is a little cock-eyed (but maybe that adds to its appeal?)Once I got it more or less “straight,” I decided on some left over pieces of poplar for the bottom. I alternated the stain for a little more character.I decided on a picture frame lid of sorts, which again was reluctant to give me nice, tight miters, but I did my best.I still had some twisty wood left and decided to use that for another handle, which I think turned out well.The whole thing is finished in the last of my spray-on, water-based poly (I will be buying more of that!)I know it won't be everybody's cup of tea, but I wasn't setting out to make tea.Time to put this on the Lumberjock's water and see how it fails… sails, I mean sails!

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2022

The Handy Dandy Double Square

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

One of the first tools many get when embarking on our journey into woodworking is a 12 (300mm) combination square. This American innovation is one of our toolbox's most versatile marking and measuring devices. However, the relatively heavy cast iron …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2022

Wide-Mouth Dust Collection

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

The dust collection port on my sliding miter saw missed a lot of sawdust, so I added an additional port mounted directly behind the blade. The port is a piece of 3-in. ABS pipe that's cut at 45 degrees to …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2022

Comments:

Trying something new, please critique my work

Trying something new, please critique my workI wanted to try something new and being the impatient type I didn't want to watch countless videos on how to go about this new adventure.I first started out making something out of repurposed cedar from my deck. I found out it is too soft for how sharp my tools are. I finished the piece just to see if I could do it.Not very happy with it I tried some hardwood. I like how this turned out and it was easier to turn than the cedar as far as getting a good clean cut. It is 2.25” tall by 3” in diameter. Made with red oak and hedge with a maple stripe.One more experiment I tried was open segmented turning. I had no idea what I was doing, but I forged ahead anyway. I had the walls about 1/4” to 3/8” thick and was just about to start sanding when I had a catch and the thing exploded. I was able to find a couple of pieces and glued them back on, but I couldn't find them all. I had to use a wood that was close to what it was originally, but it wasn't exact and if you know what to look for you can find them. The walnut was easy to replace, but the other wood was hard to match.I think I was to stingy with the glue because I didn't want squeeze out and that might be why it broke apart. I got it glued back up and carefully put it back on the lathe and turned it again.This piece measures 5 1/4” high by 6” in diameter. I used walnut and maple, but I don't know what the third wood is. Can anyone guess what it might be? It lit up when I put some Danish oil on it.If any wood turners view this I would appreciate it if you would critique my work. I don't know if the walls should be thinner or if the spacing is done wrong. Also any tips or sites to watch would be very helpful. Thanks for any help you can provide.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2022

Online Woodworking Calculator

(Feet, Inches, fraction calculator)

Feet Inches /
Add/Subtract
Enter a measurement in feet, inches, fraction
Press + or -
Enter another measurement in feet, inches, fraction
Press =

Multiply/Divide
Enter a measurement in feet, inches, fraction
Press X or /
Enter a number in the X / Box
Press =

posted at: 6:36pm on 01-Aug-2022
path: /Woodworking/Calculator | permalink | edit (requires password)

Time tested job stools

Time tested job stoolsI made these in 1979 after seeing something similar while driving by some working carpenters. They have been in use ever since and have worn down and inch from being slid around on concrete, etc.. The height is good for reaching 8' ceilings and can also be stacked for 12”, 24”, and 32”. Often used for blocking & lifting heavy stuff, as a saw bench, to hold upper kitchen cabinets, & as a place to sit for lunch. Hammer claw fits in the hole to pick up & carry, sometimes used upside down to hold a spool of wire, & occasionally as a crate. One suffered a broken leg in a fall but eventually had the piece replaced.A year or two ago I was given some plywood scraps & made four more, thinking I might sell them, but they have been put to use as well. If you make some, the sequence is to cut the pieces square, taper the legs, leaving an inch or two straight at the bottom, cut the notches in the tapered legs, fit the sides with the short point even with the top of the legs, & belt sand flat after. Round the edges of the top before fastening to avoid hitting the fasteners. Thin nails are better than screws to not split the plywood- gun nails or staples would be fine. Both the new & old ones have had multiple coats of linseed oil, especially soaking the end grain of the feet.I wrote my name and the date inside of one, & that is how I remember the year that I started my business.Cheers, Jay

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2022

Three way Highchair

Three way HighchairYes this is just a put together these by another plan but I did add the top tray as I felt it added to the use.Link for the plans is here : https://www.gcwoodworks.com/shop/the-baby-sitter-woodworking-plans/I used some 3/4 cherry on the first and 3/4 pine on the second one both felt sturdy when fully glued.
The first one was quite bit heavier and stained little darker with different wood used.I also added straps at the seat here : https://www.ebay.com/itm/165476418298Have wanted to do one of these for a while and my wife pushed me to build two.Last picture is my templates so I can build future ones without recreating from scratch , all other seat panels are pretty much square cuts.My young cousins loved them

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2022