January 2022

Spotty McGregor

Spotty McGregorHi:This week my project was to build another “cremation urn” for our neighbour's dog.“Spotty”, a beautiful Border Collie, was the best friend of his master, always ready to please. He was a well trained and well exercised dog, who came to his master the week after his master had received double hip replacement.The idea was that his master would take him on walks five times each day, and that way undergo the necessary exercise to promote rapid healing from his surgery. It worked. His master was soon able to discard the walker, and move to a single cane. Later, he was able to discard the cane and walk unassisted.As a reward for service rendered to his master, Spotty got to enjoy walking the neighbourhood each day, greeting other dogs and socializing with the local community.Unfortunately, last week Spotty went out to the back yard for his morning constitutional, gave and loud shriek of pain and dropped dead from a heart attack.His master was overcome with grief. For seven years he and Spotty were companions.Thus the need for a cremation urn for Spotty's ashes.Spotty's full name was “Spotty McGregor”, a nod to his master's Scottish heritage. The Scottish Thistle was carved into the side of the urn, along with Spotty's name carved (and painted) onto the lid.Made of black locust and cherry woods, and featuring corner spines and buttresses.Dimensions: 5” x 5” x 5”. Volume = 60 Cubic Inches, one cubic inch for each pound of Spotty's weight.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2022

Blocks for Dax

Blocks for DaxBlocks for DaxGrandson of a good friend is nearly two years old. He needs a set of blocks.Honduran Mahogany
Indiana Walnut
Tennessee Hard Maple
Georgia Fir
Carpathian Elm Burl on Baltic Birch
Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Suggested Activities:

• Sort and group
  • Stack and knock down
  • Clap together, with a beat
  • Build a road
  • Build a tower, tall
  • Build a house
  • Build a corral
  • Build a castle, strong
  • Build a bridge
  • Build a cascading knock down series
    (dominos style)
  • Count and compare groups
  • Arrange in artistic patterns
  • Learn the shape names
  • Learn to identify; lookup picture in chart
  • Learn their names; big words
  • Give them nicknames
Info: Finish is Howard Butcher Block ConditionerPut them in a burlap bag and they are ready for delivery.Thanks for any comments

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2022

Wood Clamps

Wood ClampsAnother project. I made a second one this week. It came in a kit. No wood except round handles. I did not like them so I made my own from oak. I layered oak over some dark African Rosewood scraps. The first one went well. This weeks project was more difficult as I misplace the instructions. I had to copy from the older one. Its Ok now. Varnish is drying now .

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2022

New Orlean Siants

New Orlean SiantsAfter a nightmare of trying to get a good paint color match on this BUT I got the color right, New Orleans Saints Silver…. And dozens of very thin sprayed coats. Acrylic metallics are the worse. But I got the color right

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2022

Finally finished my Christmas projects

Finally finished my Christmas projectsI made 2 quilt ladders for Christmas presents. I almost had them done on Christmas. All I needed to do was apply the finish.
The first one is for my wife. It is made of cherry. The other was for my wife's good friend. It is made of pine. Both were finished with rattle can polyurethane.
I apologize for the sideways photos. That is how this site uploaded them. If anyone can tell me how to fix them I would appreciate it.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2022

A Personal Gift Wrapped in the Wooden Box

A Personal Gift Wrapped in the Wooden BoxI bought a very special gift for a special young man and decided to 'wrap' the gift in a hand made box from the wood shop. The gift is personal but very meaningful for this early teenage boy.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2022

Disc Break

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Disc Break Back when I bought my radial arm saw, onboard braking systems didn't exist. But I'm a gadget freak, so I bought an electronic brake and mounted it on top of the saw. The brake worked by converting the …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2022

Shop Footwear

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

I don't know about you, but when I'm working in the shop, I usually try and carve out at least a few hours. Enough time to make some progress on a project at least. Often, this means standing for long …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2022

Gift to a brother...

Gift to a brother...Baltic birch, laser engraved with a Varathane top coat. The verse is Proverbs 18:24Frames are easy to make and add more to the gift… the SVG files are available through Trotec lasers…

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2022

LIDDED BOX WITH KNOB

LIDDED BOX WITH KNOBThis is a Lidded Box with a Knob,from a combination of Three Woods. The Base is from Australian Hard Wood, The Lid is New Guinea Rose Wood and the Knob is from a Neighbours Shrub which had a very close and hard grain….I wish I had a heap of logs of this wood. It is quite beautiful.The Diameter of the Box is 4 inches and the Height from the Top of the Knob, to the Base is 4 1/8 inches.
It is finished with 4 coats of Shellac. Usually I would Wax it and hand buff with a soft cloth. But I was getting keen to put the project on LJs and couldn't wait a few hours before Waxing.
There is a felt lining which I made a mess of. Some of the adhesive Spray glue went from my finger on to the felt when I pressed it into place….”What a Boofhead” still we live and learn.In my haste I forgot to take pictures of the wood before preparing and turning.Kind regards to all Lumber Jocks…...Cliff.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2022

Function over Form Coffee Table

Function over Form Coffee TableWell, I figured I might as well post it since I mentioned it in a previous project and also in a forum.Thanks to the LJs in the forum, the top is not only glued, but also screwed into the base with some room for wood movement (see, I'm listening).The base isn't me at all. I did tighten the legs and touch up quite a few nicks with a touch up marker. But the base used to be a glass coffee table that I bought from our Habitat for Humanity's ReStore for $25. It's actually super solid!The top is some Ambrosia Maple that I picked up from our local Lowes.As I mentioned, my wife is traveling (hence all the clocks I'm finishing). She absolutely hates the glass coffee table that we currently have, which I got in my divorce:You can actually see the very first bowl I ever did on top of the glass coffee table. But, anyway, the glass table is constantly filthy in smudges and we are forever bumping our shins and knees into it. My wife is going to be stoked when she sees this new table.You can see under the glass coffee table our Ruggable. A Ruggable is attached to the floor with velcro. It can be pulled up from the velcro and thrown in a washing machine (I highly recommend if you have animals or kids or a white rug).The hassle? Moving the coffee table to get to the rug. I know she hates that, so I did add casters to the new coffee table. Lowes had some antique brass ones that looked pretty good:I did counter sink the screws and filled the divots with plastic wood. Here might be my proudest moment in this project. From making the clocks with the Ambrosia Maple, I learned that with a pencil I could draw on the wood and extend patterns… that way I could make my frames on the clocks seem to flow into each other.It made me wonder if I could hide the countersunk screws. I used a pencil, a pen, and some touch-up markers.Here's a before:And here's the after:In my picture gallery for this table you can see three other examples of counter sunk plugs I hid with this method. Yes, I know you can see them when I point them out, but they would be hard to spot if someone wasn't actively looking for them.The nice thing? Even though I used a lot of my Ambrosia Maple for this table, I didn't come close to using all of it. I would imagine I could make 10 clock faces with the cut off ends that I have left… so that's good!Now that the table is done, I HAVE to clean up this house! She comes home tomorrow night, and I've been doing some major bachelor living with two teen daughters who have been doing some major bachelorette living,Lots to clean… which means my over-posting on the project page is done for awhile!Thanks for looking and for helping!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2022

Another White Oak Bowl

Another White Oak BowlI had two pieces from that branch so I took another shot at a bowl today and fixed my issues from the last posting, short sidewalls. Not much more to say, happy with it and love that end grain like on the last. Thanks for checking it out!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2022

PLAQUE

PLAQUEOne more project for US embassy Zagreb. Sgt Shane, who made orders for all his colleagues, now gets his reward, when finishing service in Zagreb. Thank you Shane Hale!
Ash, dimensions 33×20x2cm, laser engraved Croatian flag amblem, finish non glossy spray laquer.
Outer shape I cut on bandsaw, edge trimed with handrouter.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2022

We Try (and Fail) to Make An NFT

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

A dive into the world of non-fungible tokens reveals what's real in the world. It seemed like a simple enough idea at the time: let's make an NFT. Thirty seconds of google quickly told me it was never going to …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2022

Chattering birds automata

Chattering birds automataSimple automaton from Robert Race's book Making Simple Automata. A good learning experience for me, and I have to say I love working at this scale.The cam is fine but I think a wire one would be better. I'll affix it to a heavier base and paint the base I think. Overall I enjoyed this project and I can highly recommend the book.Tawa, poplar and bamboo.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Jan-2022

Introducing a New Woodturning Symposium

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Im happy to announce a new, online woodturning symposium that's going to be taking place March 19th & 20th. Tickets for Meet the Woodturner Live are available here. Here's a little of the backstory: Working in the woodworking media …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Jan-2022

Eagle canes

Eagle canesCouple more Eagle canes to add to the roll.
I make the canes because they don't require a lot of wood. And I really like the Eagle and Falcon canes. They are so comfortable and for me, represent a beautiful part of the wild.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Jan-2022

Bullet-Catch Bench Dogs

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Bullet-Catch Bench Dogs When I built my workbench, I drilled round bench-dog holes in the top so I didn't have to cut square mortises. Being a thrifty sort, I didn't want to shell out for store-bought dogs, so I made …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Jan-2022

Cove Cuts on the Table Saw

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Accurately set up for and safely make these versatile curved shapes. It was the 1970s. I was a young, lost woodworker out cruising the West Coast in search of inspiration, mentors, cool old tools and furniture to study. I …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Jan-2022

Garden planter

Garden planterI made this from scrap cedar that I would otherwise have thrown away.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jan-2022

Last of the Spalted Maple Bowls

Last of the Spalted Maple BowlsHere is the final group (with a couple of decent pictures my son took.)The range is from 5.5” to 8 1/4”.
Friction Polish
All out of spalted bowl blanks

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jan-2022

Skull

SkullThis skull illusion was cut on my scroll saw using ” oak plywood.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jan-2022

Shenandoah Toolworks Birdcage Awl

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Birdcage Awl Shop Now  Manufacturer: Shenandoah Toolworks MSRP: $59.99 If you're in the market for a birdcage awl, this Shenandoah Tool Works version offers a stylish twist - that is, the hand-forged 01 steel shaft is actually twisted …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jan-2022

Portable Plug-In Power Source

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

While preparing to sand some cutting boards for customers, and after noticing how blissful the weather was I decided to do the sanding outside. After all, why have dust in the shop when I can spread the particles in the …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jan-2022

Pizza Rocker

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Your handmade pie deserves more than a generic roller. Handmade pizza is a mainstay at my house, but I never knew how much fun cutting up a freshly cooked pie could be until I made a rocker. This baby doesn't …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2022

Intarsia Pelican Lamp

Intarsia Pelican LampThis was a father – son project to make a Christmas present for my wife. She is a huge fan of Pelicans so we set out to make a Pelican lamp. It didn't start out as a salt lamp. It was supposed to be an LED light, but ended up looking …. bad with the LED'. The lighting was just all wrong. So we regrouped, and redesigned around a salt lamp.Beak: Apple limb with the pith separating top from bottom.
Body: Ficus limb from the neighbors, that has a knot for an eye.
Wing: Cypress with gray-blue streaks
Rock: Cypress that has been burned with a torch and brushed away 3 times.
Sunset / cookie: Cypress with a bit of epoxy to hold it together.Finish: 2 coats of pure Tung oil. (should have had 3 or 4 but… holiday deadlines.My first intarsia-like project. It was kind of fun matching grain and wood patterns to the various pieces.Source: Pelican Salt Lamp

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2022

Hardware Store T-Bolts

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Specialty hardware can be really annoying. Take the T-boltit's essential for attaching anything to a T-track, but where can you buy one at a moment's notice? Hardware stores don't carry T-bolts, but I've found that they always have a good …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2022

SawStop Job Site Saw Zero Clearance Insert with jig

SawStop Job Site Saw Zero Clearance Insert with jigThis post is about making a jig to cut the inserts for the ZCI (Zero Clearance Insert) plate for the SawStop Job SIte saw.To make the insert with the miter gauge see this project.https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/422166I used the mfg supplied insert that came with the red Aluminum Plate for the saw.Ideally a 12×12 piece of plywood would be the size to use. Mine is 11 X 9 but it works. I put a miter slot slider on the bottom of the Plywood. See my posting for how to make the Miter Slot Glide Bar.https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/422136When mounting the bar to the jig surface use you miter gauge in the slot on the other side of the blade so that the Miter Slot Glide Bar is able to sit under the plywood This is why MFG put two miter slots on saw surfaces so that you can use them both at the same time. See picture above.I mounted the glide bar and the plywood in a position that when you cut the blade side of the jig that it is cut with a 60 degree angle. I set the angle by using a 30-60-90 degree triangle. A blade angle electronic device could also be used.
When those 2 pieces are attached then glue a strip of wood across the front of the jig. You are gluing it to the edge not on the top surface. The reason being that the front edge is a 90 edge from the blade. Once it's glued on then cut the edge with your 60 degree angle blade. This makes the front piece having a 60 degree cut so that you have it as a measurement that can be used as a reference when cutting the ZCI piece. I also glued a piece on the right hand side of the plywood jig. This is used as a part of the length measurement of the insert that you are making.See my picture of the right hand edge.
One more piece to glue on. This is apiece that is used to cut the width of the insert piece. In this case 3 1/2” from the blade. I hold the MFG insert to the blade that is sitting at the 60 degree angle and then glue on a block of wood that buts up against the mfg insert. Again look at the picture. That's picture 2 in the pictures above. Picture 3 is the cutting of the width of the insert.So you now have attached 3 pieces to the jig. 4 if you count the miter guide bar.The front one is 90 degrees to the saw blade the right hand one will be used to cut to the correct length of the insert. It should be 90 degrees to the front piece. The third one is to cut to the correct width and make the insert with 2 parallel cuts. 1 straight 90 degree and a second one at 60 degrees.You need to cut one additional piece of wood. it will be used to cut your insert to the correct length. Seen in picture 4.With the blade raised but turned off put your MFG insert touching the blade and measure to the right hand stop you glued on. Now cut a piece of wood about 1/32 to 1/16” smaller than the measurement you just found. The reason it's smaller is to that you can control that distance by the use of masking tape. Without any tape you will cut your insert too long, and as you add tape the insert will be getting shorter. My control piece is a 3/8” thick piece of wood with maybe 10 to 20 pieces of tape. I've got a storage area to hold extra tape if I need to add or take away some measurements I've found on my tape that 2 pieces were about 1/128 of a inch. Duct tape would be thicker if you need to fill up space. Or you can glue on a piece of wood and then retrim to the correct measurement. But the final adjustments should be tape pieces.To do the final adjustment I'll trim up some scrap pieces to see that I can get the length to the final size.Making the cuts to the rough cut over-size piece for the insert.Cutting order:First I cut to width, That gets the two edges on the insert parallel and 3 1/2” wide.Then I cut the first end to the bevel without using the length edge. Then I use the length block to cut to final length. Make sure that the long edge of the insert is up and not down. You also want to make sure that the first end cut has the insert oriented so that the bevel edge matches the bevel you cut on the side.One other tidbit of information that I tried to follow and in some cases, but in other failed. If you hold your insert in your hand before making any cuts if there is a slight or sever bow, you want it to be down once the edge cuts are made. That will make your insert fit tighter once installed in the plate. This means that the bow is up as you are making the cuts, because the up side is the long edge when being cut.Confusing I know, but it works.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2022

Viking Bottle Stopper

Viking Bottle StopperHere's a Viking Bottle Stopper I just completed. He's about 2.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches tall. Carved from basswood, painted with acrylics. The stopper is recessed into the carving so it can either be placed on a bottle, or set on a shelf.I trace my pattern onto the block of wood using graphite paper and then saw it out using my bandsaw. I noticed as I began cutting it out, that I had forgotten to put the hole for the cork recess in the bottom. I stopped sawing and drilled out the holes. The larger one is by a 1.25 inch Forstner bit, 1 inch deep, and the center hole is a 1/2 inch hole another 3/4 inch deep to glue in the dowel.Here's the cut out, and then I start rounding the corners and roughing out the general shape.The rough out completed, I can now begin the detailing. Carving the hair, eyes, eyebrows and shaping the nose and the carving part is complete.And here it is with painting complete. The last photo shows the underside with the silicone cork glued in.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2022

Marine Varnish - needs a good base

Marine Varnish - needs a good baseMarine Varnish needs a good base to prevent cracking due to variation in timber moisture and because of weather, or so I'm told…We had an old Oregon spar which needed some TLC.So we used WEST SYSTEM Epoxy Resin 105 an Hardener 207Here's a short video of what we did – https://youtu.be/LcMhJhdEl4IAnd here's the finished product – ready for a coat or two of marine varnish!

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Jan-2022

Ahab's shelf

Ahab's shelfor a one-legged table. Because of my day job, I usually hate naming things and I'm not good at it.My wonderfully patient wife identified that the stuff I like keeping by the door was taking over the kitchen counter. Since this is a high-traffic intersection, a small freestanding shelf would get bumped and knocked over frequently. And I have an irrational aversion to mounting a shelf or two to the side of the cabinet. So I grabbed some scrap wood and threw this together.It's unconnected to cabinet, wall, and trim by nestling between two of them, and I screwed a wedge into the underside of the counter to secure the top of the upright. Tried a few new-to-me things:

Made my share of mistakes, none of which detract from this shelf's utility. When using tea dye be sure to heed Swirt's warning to avoid blotching. Also, I can see that the pocket hole doodad will be useful in some cases, but isn't likely to dominate my future techniques.

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Jan-2022

Jupiter

JupiterJupiter - a SuminboBefore we get into what this project is, Why Jupiter?Jupiter has two small moons Adrastea and Metis, which orbit the mysterious planet within its characteristic ring. They are thought to be the source of the 'dust' which forms the ring.So Jupiters and its ring provided the inspiration for the name of the box which is a follow on for my Starry, starry night box – see it here.The lift off lid, held in place with a traditional obijimi sash, is veneered marine ply, with book matched burl elm on the outside and jarrah edging, with paulownia veneer on the inside. It has a dyed black band, Jupiter's ring, running across the top and down the ends. This is inlayed with a range of small shell and opal dots, and two larger cabochon stud earrings, Jupiter's moons – Adrastea and Metis.But, what is the box? Continuing with my Japanese inspired boxes, this is a traditional writing box - Suminbo, It is used to hold a range of tools and equipment associated with Japanese calligraphy – Shado. It is a little more complex than my previous Suzuribako, check it out here. Its design was based on earlier wrting boxes which also held calligraphy paper so needed to be larger.The main box/base and the internal writing tray, Suzuribako, are made from cherry.The lift-out Suzuribako contains calligraphy traditional tools. An Inkstone – Suzuri, a water dropper – Mizusashi, two brushes – Fude, and a brush rest – Fude oki.It seems that in times gone bye people had to make their own tools in order to practice shodo, but today you can find all the necessary objects in stores across Japan or other countries. I got most of mine from AliExpress. Though the Suzuri - inkstone, and the Sumi - inkstick, where given to me be the eventual recipent of the box – little did he know he would get them back!The inside of the Suzuribako tray and its interior framework have been ebonised and then sprinkled with gold dust to reflect traditional Japanese black lacquer.I use polyurethane instead of traditional lacquer - urushi. A couple of coats are applied and rubbed down, then another coat is applied, and while still wet the gold dust, or you can use fine glitter, is sprinkled on. This is left to dry after which I brush off any loose dust before applying another two or three coats of polyurethane to cover the gold dust. I then rub it down with 400 grit and apply more coats until the gold dust is completely sealed and I can rub it down get a flat satin finish.Beneath the Suzuribako in the base of the box are more traditional items. All of which have their own specific Japanese names.Two paper weights – Bunchin, made from Mexican Rosewood with shell dot inlays and grooves to act as brush rests. A paper knife - Pepanaifu. A brush hanger - Burashihanga, for hanging cleaned brushes after they have been cleaned to allow them to dry. A solid inkstick - Sumi in its own paulownia box. Also included is an uncarved soap stone seal – Hanko.Making boxes that have a specific purpose and hold set items is more challenging than making an empty box. Things have to fit, and fit in particular positions, so the internal layout and associated sizes and tolerances have to be precise and carefully built into the design. Many of my boxes are just empty containers - you put in what you want and arrange things as best you can. So finished sizes don't really matter, and a few millimetres discrepancy form the original sizes are OK.The whole box is gift wrapped in a traditional Furoshiki cloth.It was made as a surprise for a very good Japanese friend who has given me so much encouragement, and help with translations while researching many of my Japanese boxes. Thank you Tad!As ever thanks for looking, and if you have nay questions please ask.Hope you enjoyed it

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2022

Fly Fishing Clock Take Three

Fly Fishing Clock Take ThreeMy wife is traveling for work, so this weekend I find myself with more time than usual. I received some feedback regarding my previous fly fishing clocks, and I decided to try to incorporate it.I started by making my traditional frame of 6.5” by 9.5”. I had some left over pieces of the ambrosia maple that I'd found at Lowes, so I used those pieces to make the outside frame.I had a fairly good size piece of wild cherry gall among my gall and burl pieces and, after grinding and sanding it, I saw that it would be a good clock face for this particular clock. Following Dick's advice, I tried to keep the frame plain, with only the fish and the fly rod as add-ons. Following fellow LJ Eric's idea, I made my fish from a piece of basswood I'd found at Michael's Craft Store.I will admit it was difficult for me not to add more pieces of burl. I do think the wild cherry gall is handsome enough that it is all that the clock needs. Given the “less busy” style of this clock, I felt that it could handle more elaborate clock hands.I'm pretty pleased with the fish. The fly rod is looking good to me too.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2022

Bunk Beds from Doug Fir

Bunk Beds from Doug FirHey Lumberjocks
Just wanted to post my latest project. Bunkbeds for the grandkids. The twin boys ages 3 1/2 were ready for an upgrade so Mom decided on a simple bunk bed design. Jay Bates had a set of plans which turned out to be great, followed them to the letter. I purchased all the Doug for from a local lumber yard – KD, 1 or better. Yea right. I ran all the lumber through the tablesaw and the planer to square all the stock. I then sanded all the lumber to 150 grit. No need to go further. Following the plan cut list – I completed all the cuts. I drilled the pocket holes on the four uprights.
From there I put together the bed rails and ends as one assembly each. I then preassembled the ends which capture the rails and ends. The ends also serve the ladder as well. I sealed all the lumber and applied the customers requested stain; Minwax Semitransparent Classic Grey followed by a small application of PolyU.Once at the customers house, I finished the assembly – two ends, two bed frames (rails and ends), four safety rails, 22 bed slats and four Oak upright caps with a small bit of stenciling. The daughter is happy, grandkids are happy so all good here. I already made my daughters King size bed and my granddaughters twin bed. So, this rounds out the family.
Thanks for checking out the Bunk beds for the twins.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2022

From a Pot to a Bowl

From a Pot to a BowlThis project started with a Texas Ebony crotch sent to me by Mesquiteman99 to see what I could do with it. I cut off the long part of the crotch branch and tested it to see how it turned . I was going to make a pot that I hollowed from the bottom and then glued in a mesquite bottom. I found the wood to be brittle and “chippy”....the chips were like coffee grounds. It was okay until I tried to turn the top of the pot. One cut and it exploded so I turned it down to a small bowl (3 1/2” x 1 1/2” high with a .050” wall) and with a mesquite bottom. If the pot would have survived, the bottom would not show.It is finished with satin enamel.I have split the rest of the crotch in half through the pith and will soak it in black epoxy before making the piece I had planned for it.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2022

Intarsia - Large Mouth Bass

Intarsia - Large Mouth BassHad a lot of fun with this one mixture of Intarsia and scroll/fret cutting. Made it for my brother. Avid fisherman who I spent countless hours chasing bass this size. JGR pattern. 18in x 18in. Blue Pine, Aspen, Ebony, Yellowheart, and stained/painted layered Birch background. Frame is commercial (ran out of time before X-mas).

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2022

Improved Push Pad

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Ordinary push pads tend to slip, I've found, when face-jointing a board. I modified one of mine by cutting 1/2″ of the rubber padding off its back end and then screwing on a 1/2″ x 1/2″ cleat. Now the …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2022

Body Mechanics

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Get better woodworking results with these 12 tips. I've been teaching now for more than 15 years. And in that time I've thought a lot about why students are or are not able to do certain things. Problems arise only …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2022

Comments:

Hold fast - that you can easily make

Hold fast - that you can easily makeHold fast wedge and twist
updating an old idea.Hi all,I made these updates out of frustration today.A wedge for fast clamping on my existing DIY hold fast and a DIY flip end stop, that can be made from wood, so no special hardware are needed any moreThis post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/133203
Pictures:
1. Wedge quick clamp, with new flip back stop from wood.
2. Old type.
3. The old hardware, with old flip back stop from metal.
4. Quick clamping.
5. The other version.
6. Here used in the workbench dog holes, to hold wood.

Hope it can be to some inspiration, or to hold on to what you love…Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2022

Brunswick Gold Crown IV

Brunswick Gold Crown IVI purchased a 2004-2007 Brunswick Gold Crown IV recently. The timber frame is like a wooden sailing ship but this model had an issue with the ends of the table sagging under the several hundred pounds of slate. A table mechanic recommended shoring up with some angle iron. I opted for some 12/4 Mahogany instead.Sizing things up.Drilled for 6.5” 3/8 bolts. Shocked the stain was an exact match. Decided to leave the rustic saw marks.Flipped upright with the center supports.The exploded view

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2022

Rustic Bench, Reclaimed Wood

Rustic Bench, Reclaimed Wood2m long bench, made of 3”x12” reclaimed pine for top and 5” thick for legs. Finished with varnish.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2022

Silverware Tray

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Hone your hand skills with a project that has low risks but high rewards.Source

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2022

A Special Project in Joinery for a Friend

A Special Project in Joinery for a FriendThis design was by special request as a gift. it was made from left over walnut from another project and I finished it with teak oil. This project was my first effort in biscuit joinery and dove tail corner joints. I used a box bit for the drawer corners and dowels to join the top to the box bottom. All I can say is I did a lot of practice and generated a lot of scrap dove tails…

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2022

Couple more crosses

Couple more crossesFinished up a couple more crosses. The first one pictured was intended to be a layered but I did my half lap on the wrong side so cut the vertical piece down. The size left meant the layers wouldn't look right so I found a piece of walnut that I had from the practice with the bandsaw, and headed back to the bandsaw to cut a “background cross.” Used the blue tape as I couldn't see my pencil marks. Worked great.

Not sure what the centered cross is made from (was from a bunch of cutoffs I got at the local hardwood store).The other is poplar (center cross), and the heat-treated poplar, and another mystery wood (very soft and medium brown with interesting grain). I just used half-lap rather than stacking like prior attempts. Did a little blog about this.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2022

Fix Uneven Chair or Stool Legs

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

A simple table saw technique levels four legs in no time flat. Rock-n-roll. That's what four-legged pieces have a habit of doing - even with perfect joinery and a careful and unhurried assembly. Even with all the care and …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2022

Open Segment Bowl Success

Open Segment Bowl SuccessI finally made an open segment turning. This is actually my second open segment bowl. The first one did not turn out as well. I learned the process by watching “Earl's Small Segmenting Shop” on YouTube. Very informative videos. This turning is 14” in diameter, about 7” tall and had 36 segments per ring. Made from maple, cherry, and walnut. Finished with Danish oil and spray lacquer.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2022

Knew Concepts Titanium Fretsaw Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

The truss system of the spine looks curious, but it works gangbusters. Tool: 5″ Titanium Birdcage Fret Saw Shop Now  Manufacturer: Knew Concepts MSRP: $235 (includes saw and Pegas #7 skip tooth woodworking blade) The crazy design of …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2022

He's upset!

He's upset!Stuck on the mandrel. He's not happy!!

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2022

Comments:

Can You Stain Cherry Without Blotching?

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Some straight talk about cherry and blotching. When I opened my furniture-making and restoration shop in 1976, the woods considered best for high-end furniture were walnut and mahogany. Of course, oak and maple were also used, and sometimes cherry. As …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2022

Bandsaw Blade Marking Knife

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Old bandsaw blades can easily be recycled into useful marking or carving knives. One blade nets you a slew of small pieces. Use a tin snip to cut off a piece of the blade, grind off the teeth, and then …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2022

Floating Shelf

Floating ShelfMade this floating shelf for my son so he had a place to put his completed Lego's and store some of his other stuff. The wood was from his old bed frame. Since he's a big Star Wars fan I put on Star Wars pulls.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2022

Laminated bowls

Laminated bowls For some reason in my previous post system failed to upload pictures.
Here are all 3 bowls I made last month. It is laminated bowls from the board. Did some few years ago. Recently modified tecnhiques which allow to make wider range of shapes (different cutting angles require very careful calculation of selected radius to angle correlation.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2022

Laminated bowl 2

Laminated bowl 2Love these laminated bows from the board. Did several few years ago, and now restart with some technique modification, which allow angular calculations and more precise cut. More intricate shapes could be made.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2022

Comments:

Hand cut box joints - a tool tote tray. (Post).

Hand cut box joints - a tool tote tray. (Post).Hand cut box joints
a tool tote tray.My favourite tool tote, that I build back in 2010 (as you can see in this blog series), needed a new tray, as the old one had changed purpose.
The tray.The old tray had also always felt wrong for me as, I didn't like the proportions and the machine made box joints, didn't go well with the hand cut dovetails on the tote it self. I like machine cut box joints a lot, but not mixed with hand cut dovetails, here the contrast was simply too big.This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/133183A real step by step, about simple box joints, with hand tools.
Pictures:
1. The tray in the tote.
2. Royal wood…
3. Layout.
4. method.
5. sawing.
6. glueup.

Hope it can be to some inspiration, or a few box joints…Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2022

Mid-Century Modern Coffee Table

Mid-Century Modern Coffee TableMy niece requested I have her name in our family Christmas gift exchange, then asked for a mid-century modern style coffee table. We don't typically spend more than $50 for the gift exchange, but what the heck.Online search for some inspiration and then to SketchUp to design my interpretation. Walnut was the wood of choice as I had some on hand and it was easier to come by than mahogany. Table measures 18” wide x 48” long x 18” tall. Sanded through 220. Rubbed in a coat of Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil. After letting it dry a few days, light scuff sand and then sprayed a few coats Sherwin Williams lacquer. Hand rubbed with paste wax to finish it off.She loved it. Maverick, her dog, was only slightly interested, perhaps because the walnuts didn't seem too tasty.Why the walnuts?
It became obvious to me that it wasn't going to be quite ready in time for our family gift exchange. Besides, I didn't want to cart it anymore than I had to. So, I wrapped up some walnuts with a message, ”Seems walnut is the wood of choice for MCM furniture. Since walnut is becoming scarce in our area, I am giving you these MCM furniture seeds. Plant them and care for them. When they grow up, we can harvest the wood and make your MCM coffee table.
She appreciated the coffee table more than my sense of humor. LOL

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2022

3D bandsaw animals

3D bandsaw animalsHad some time to kill over the Christmas break, so thought I'd give the 3D bandsaw animals a try. Turns out they are easy and fun. The grandkids loved them.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2022

Cutting & Carving Plastics with a CNC Router

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Add this flexible material to your shop repertoire. Plastics are amazing materials. Their lightweight grain-less structure gives them uniform strength in all directions making it an ideal material for all sorts of parts and projects. Available in clear, translucent and …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2022

Soda Cap Standoffs

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

When finishing a flat panel, I use plastic soda bottle caps as standoffs to raise the panel above the bench. First, I finish the back side of the panel. Then I set the wet side on the upturned soda caps …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2022

Comments:

Jewelry box for the wife...

Jewelry box for the wife...Circa 1990… cherry, walnut, spalted maple (from my firewood pile)... hand tools only.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2022

Mountain Man Fork & Spoon

Mountain Man Fork & SpoonI made these for my Mountain Man Kit. I needed something a bit more rugged than the usual utensils. I love the Beaver cause they work so hard and are a tough little creaure. We have some nearby and they built a dam and a lodgehouse too. I even swam (snorkelled) with some in the Mad River in Vermont back in the 70s. The momma beaver swam up to me and looked into my facemask, wondering what I was doing there. She uttered a strange sound and she and two beaver kits (young) swam up into their lodge through an underwater entrance. I will never forget that day. Wish I had a Go-Pro camera to film it, but theywere not available back then.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2022

Comments:

My first lathe project. Beer bottle stopper - I guess you could us it in a wine bottle too.

My first lathe project. Beer bottle stopper  - I guess you could us it in a wine bottle too. About 2 years ago, Woodcraft went out of business. The owner retired. I purchased a lathe from their classroom because it was a great deal and he threw in a few tools to boot; I had yet to put the lathe to use.Getting into epoxy, I purchased a cheep cylinder mold to pour the excess epoxy into.I finally decided to try my luck. Well, it is round. Beyond that, nothing fancy. Since, despite my bantering with others on this site, I often have a partial beer waiting when I get to the no finger cutting ops of a project.I decided I needed a stopper. So, ta-da. My first lathe project.Certainly, the next one will be better.Thanks for visiting.Ps. Poppy (Poplar) and Teak say hello from the French Goat Bar & Drill.Pss. Just spayed it with polyurethane. It pops. But, then again. It might be eating the epoxy.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2022

Comments:

Another epoxy inlay charcuterie board

Another epoxy inlay charcuterie boardSo, a friend asked for a charcuterie board. To my surprise, she asked for my logo on the front.It took two separate pours.The woods are maple, walnut and padauk.This one went much better than my first. However, still learning, and that – in some regard – is what it is about. Thanks for visiting.Overall, I think it came out nice.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jan-2022

2x4 Furniture Round Table Childs Nightstand

2x4 Furniture Round Table Childs NightstandFound a plan in an old woodworkin magazine for this table. The plans called for a Kreg jig and the screw thing. This was put together with wood dowels and glue. I wanted to show someone how to use 2×4 construction lumber to make nice furniture and this is what I ended up with. All this wood was repurposed scrap. School logo is Franklin Oh. Goin to a grandson of mine. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jan-2022

SCRAP AND PALLET WOOD SHOP STANDING AND WALL CABINETS

SCRAP AND PALLET WOOD SHOP STANDING AND WALL CABINETS Made in the 1980's from scrap wood… back when I had a bit more time and a lot less $$$...
One pallet I used was from overseas… it was made of some exotic woods (the drawer-fronts).
See the plywood-top bench? It was a good bench to me. I was able to do good work on it.
I hope to upgrade it soon…

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jan-2022

Screech owl nesting box

Screech owl nesting boxThe screech owl is a misnomer, it makes a horse-like whinny instead. This box is made with cypress. You can hang it as low as 10 feet off the ground. If you have squirrels you might need to wrap the tree above and below with sheet metal, and maybe even put a metal sheet on the roof so they can't jump down from above.The plans are here: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-screech-owl-nest-box
The dimensions are in the pdf here: https://nas-national-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/screech-owl-nest-box.pdf

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2022

Turned live ?edge?

Turned live ?edge? Live knot, maybe. Another piece from niece's walnut tree that went to her sister this time. 4 dia x 6 total height with the lid. A small amount of epoxy involved as well.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2022

An Old Chair from my family's Ancestry

An Old Chair from my family's AncestryThe chair was obviously handmade. There were a lot of broken pieces which I was able to redo. The caning was not as big of a challenge as I thought it would be, with the help from the Internet, I found plenty of pointers and supply houses. Also, there is an 'antique' hardware store in Indy that provided me with some materials.It was a fun project. My mind was constantly on the person who made the chair and the tools they would have used compared with the tools and resources I have available, electricity being the prime commodity. I was thinking about all the mothers in my ancestry who rocked their babies using this chair. My guess is, from the family I talked with, the chair was made sometime in the later 1800's.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2022

12 Weekend Picture Frames

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Here's a fun way to save money, be creative, make something useful, and use up scrap stock: make your own picture frames. You can start from scratch and have finished frames in a day or less, and the only tools …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2022

Tape-clamping Small Miters

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

When gluing miters for small mouldings, clear packing tape makes an ideal clamp. Begin by placing a strip of tape across the bottom of the joint; this will prevent glue squeeze-out from getting on your bench. As you push the …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2022

Comments:

Snow Day fun in the shop.

Snow Day fun in the shop.With it being a so called “Snow Day” in our part of the world and at a standstill waiting on material to show up.
I thought I would use the down time to have a little fun in the shop and build a Mini Benchtop Router Table for my trim router.
PS: I have included a basic sketchup drawing if someone wants to make one for themselves.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2022

Working Reclaimed Wood Presentation [Video]

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

A guide for woodworkers, makers, and designers. Last June I was invited to give the keynote presentation on reclaimed wood during the 2021 World Wood Day Symposium. Because of the disruption caused by the Covid epidemic, the symposium took place …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2022

Comments:

Diorama style framed wall hanging

Diorama style framed wall hangingShe goes to the local craft fair and comes home with a laser cut sheet metal representation of a pine forest. She hands it to me and says, “Here make something with this.” :)The inner Oregon is composed of blocks made from fir construction lumber. That is set recessed inside an Oregon shaped frame of poplar. The star represents the community of Boring, Oregon. A strip of LED fairy lights are set in the void to highlight the border and back light the trees.Normally we give this kind of thing away as a gift, but the missus decided she wants to keep this one.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2022

Dremel 8260 Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

How does Dremel's newest rotary tool stack up to one from 30 years ago? Tool: 8260 Cordless Smart Rotary Tool Shop Now  Manufacturer: Dremel MSRP: $169 (includes tool, battery, and carrying case) When evaluating a new tool, there are …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2022

Douglas Fir and Redwood handrail

Douglas Fir and Redwood handrail Douglas Fir and with Redwood balusters handrail on concrete steps.
I used 3/8×8 inch Redhead anchors for the first three posts and a galvanized bracket for the bottom post.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2022

A Back-saving Vise Extension

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

While sawing dovetails for a jewelry box, I found my back was hurting from hunching over my bench vise. In order to work more comfortably, I built this vise extension that works on the same principle as a leg vise. …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2022

Triangle Tables

Triangle TablesI would like to say this is my design, but I can't. I saw this table in Fine woodworking and I was attracted to the simplicity and clean lines of it. I couldn't help myself and made two sets of them because I couldn't settle on the wood choice. One set is made with walnut and curly ash I wanted to celebrate the sapwood, so I book matched it down the center. The other is made with oak and curly ash. The oak was ebonized with vinegar that had a Brillo pad dissolved in it. The curl in the ash is hard to see and I suppose if I would have stained it, it would have popped but I was looking for the light dark contrast.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2022

Madrone branch with mushrooms

Madrone branch with mushroomsOur neighbor likes mushrooms so I made this for them. It measures about 4” x 12”.
I wanted to expand my repertoire of mushrooms so this was a fun way to do that.
I put a bug in there because who doesn't like a bug in their picture?

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2022

Get the Most From Your Router

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

These tips and tricks will take you a long way toward success. The router is, simply put, a multi-tasking workhorse in the woodshop. But you would be surprised by how many folks don't get the most out of their …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2022

High Powered Glasses from projection TV Lenses

High Powered Glasses from projection TV LensesI was watching a cool movie (on DVD) called ” The Name of the Rose ”, with Sean Connery and Christian Slater. Ron Pearlman. He had a pair of thick lensed wooden folding glasses for reading and looking for clues. So I made a similar pair from lenses I salavaged from a big old projection TV. I made a nice leather (wool fleece lined)) pouch and lanyard for them too. They are quite heavy to wear around my neck. Sean carries them on his belt in the movie. They also have a shiny copper ring that holds the lens into the African Rosewood wooden frame. Just a fun project that was very satisfying to make.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2022

Mesquite/Cork Trivet

Mesquite/Cork TrivetI made this trivet out of 3 pieces of mesquite, turned it and the glued in the cork. It is 9” diameter and 1” thick. i rolled the edge under so a person can get their fingers under it to lift it with a hot dish on it.It is inlaid with turquoise sand from the Sleeping Beauty mine in Globe, Az and finished with Danish Oil and buffed and waxed.I added a shot of the first turn with the mortise in the top for holding it to turn the bottom.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2022

A Pumpkin Center Piece Project for my Sister

A Pumpkin Center Piece Project for my SisterMy sister asked me to make a number of table center pieces for a school program she was helping to decorate for. The piece is based off (with some modifications) something she saw at a Large Lot store (no ads here) so I went to the store to get the measurements, the last picture. Shortly after my commitments to her, I injured my ankle playing my husband in racquetball. SO, between the 3 of us, we finished up making 35 of these center pieces. This is as close to production line work as I would ever want to come. I made my poor hubby salvage the wood from someone's back yard who was taking down a swimming pool & fence, with their permission of course. I have a reputation as a dumpster diving, garage sale'n kind of person. SO, from old pool fencing to Thanksgiving center pieces.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2022

Hammered Cat

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Hammered Cat The handle on my favorite hammer needed to be refinished, so I sanded it, sprayed on a coat of polyurethane and hung it over the edge of the picnic table to dry. A moment later I heard a …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2022

Tool Test: 3M Convolute Deburring Wheel

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Scotch-Brite Deburring Wheel Shop Now  Manufacturer: 3M MSRP: $50+ Someone saw this deburring wheel on Instagram and clued me in to it; sold. It's really a metal-working tool for knocking off sharp edges and small bits of metal. …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2022

Happy New Year from Popular Woodworking

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Greetings Fellow Woodworkers, As we look forward to the new year, I hope this letter finds you, your friends, and families well. The new year can be an exciting time, packed with anticipation for what the upcoming months hold. Many …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jan-2022

White Oak Stool

White Oak StoolStool for the wife on screened porch, Christmas present. About 2 inch thick white oak, mortise and tenon. I really need to get better at mortise and tenon, not clean as I wanted. I need a mortiser if someone wants to send me one to Chattanooga. :)

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jan-2022

Turn Handles Into Savings

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

The price of good turning tools can be pretty steep. Since most of the better lathe tools can be purchased without a handle, put your money where it countsin the steel, not the handle. After all, it's the steel that …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jan-2022

Comments:

Custom rock maple and walnut foosball table

Custom rock maple and walnut foosball tableSo this is actually the third foosball table I have built. The second in this style. The case is made from solid rock/hard maple. The legs are also made of rock maple. The field is a butcher block style of walnut affixed to two 3/4” sheets of particle board. This was to get weight and a flat surface for the field. I inlaid the maple field markings with scrap left over from some figured maple I had laying around. I used my Shapeoko CNC to do this and am really happy with the results. I added the walnut trim to the box this time. Last time I used maple (maple on maple) and it just didn't have the pop I was hoping. The walnut fixed that, and it took me finishing this one to realize it. I bought all the parts for the men, rods, etc online and after measuring 3 times I drilled the holes. Things lined up like they should. This was a fun project, and foosball tables are by far my favorite build. They are way fun, great conversation pieces! The finished product is FAST and HEAVY. I think this thing weighs easily 300 lbs put together. I finished the whole thing with 3 coats of General Finishes Arm-r-seal semi-gloss and am happy with the finish. I just recently began using General Finishes and I am really happy with them so far. I really wanted toThanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2022

Cypress Dining Table with Cherry Base

Cypress Dining Table with Cherry BaseI've been MIA on here for a long time. I really haven't been doing much with woodworking but I had a project I wanted to do over the Christmas break. I had a glass dining room table that was always dirty looking so I wanted to replace it with something wood. Everything is joined with domino tenons. The table isn't quite as square as I would like but it should hold plates of food 30 inches above the floor without collapsing.I'm hoping this project will get me back into making some furniture pieces.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2022

Gall Wall Clock Take 2

Gall Wall Clock Take 2This design proved pretty popular here and among friends, so I wanted to see if I could create it again. Other than playing with some stains and changing the wall hanger, I followed the original design pretty closely. The speckled trout pattern of the clock face is something I'm able to get out of a wild cherry gall if I cut into it correctly. The outside frame is from a board of ambrosia maple I got from Lowes. I went back to Lowes and snagged 8 more 8 foot pieces of the maple, so more of these clocks to come. I got the ambrosia maple at $10 a board, so a decent deal I think. I finished my first clock on November 2nd, so it feels fitting to finish this, my 20th clock, on January 2nd.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2022

Comments:

Two small traditional pine benches

Two small traditional pine benchesTwo simple pine benches, looking traditional but made a bit easier by hiding 4 screws that are used.
The making of:

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jan-2022

Bring on twenty "22"

Bring on twenty "22"Coming soon to an optometrist near you… 128 deuces to celebrate the onset of twenty 22. Coincident? I think not.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jan-2022

Break-Down Doll House

Break-Down Doll HouseMy daughter made a cardboard doll house for my granddaughter this past fall. She refined the design a bit and sent me sketches to produce a version from 1/4” Baltic birch plywood.Side wall. I cut the pieces using my Festool track saw. The grooves were plunge routed and guided by the same track system…overpriced, but awesome! I took a second shaving pass to loosen the joints for easier assembly.Interior wall. I drilled a 9 mm hole at the corners of the door and window openings and then cut the opening with a jig saw with a fine-tooth blade.Side wall.One of three floor pieces.Assembly sequence. First wall.Second wall.Floor.Floor.Roof.A nice feature of this design is that it can be stored under a bed when not in use. My “woodworker's daughter” did well!I'm sending it to them sanded, but unfinished and they'll decorate it together…pretty cool!

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jan-2022

RYOBI LINK Review [Video]

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: LINK Wall Storage Shop Now  Manufacturer: RYOBI MSRP: $5.98+ Today we're trying out the new RYOBI LINK system and seeing if it's a good fit for woodworkers, or better for the general DIY type instead.  …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2022

Grandpa Adirondack

Grandpa AdirondackI started with rough sawn 12 to 16' long cypress boards. From there, it was cut down, planed, then cut out from the pattern templates I made up, based on Barley Harvest plans. The table plans are from another source, but I modified the dimensions to fit the chairs better. I used pocket holes to fasten the arm rests from the underside at the front, I also added a small triangle brace on the underside of the rear of the arm rest. (must survive 5 young people). I loved turning rough cut cypress into pretty chairs. Any suggestions welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2022

Large Padauk, Walnut and Jewelry Box

Large Padauk, Walnut and Jewelry BoxI'm realizing I should probably get better at staging my projects when I take the finished photos. Oh well.Solid padauk sides with walnut dovetail cornerposts. Top is padauk and walnut rabetted into the sides and pinned in the center with walnut dowels, sliding pins at the edges. On the inside of the top, there is a necklace rack with double doors to keep them in place when the lid is closed. Mahogany veneer plywood for the drawer and top section bottoms. Maple with box joints for the drawers. Dadoed maple dividers for the drawers with earring holders. Finished with polymerized tung oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2022

17 Ladder

17 LadderLadder truck for my guys at the Hill Hooks. from T&J plans

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2022

Our Top 10 Articles of 2021

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

2021 is coming to a close, and as is the tradition, we look back at the most popular articles we published in the past year. Our reader's interests were as diverse as ever, branching across time and topic- there's techniques, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2022