Not much of a story. My daughter wanted a rustic wedding and a watering trough as a drink cooler. I can't just throw a metal tub on the ground and call it a day, so…I had a bunch of cut-off 2X4s laying around and got to work. The only “new” purchase was the trough and the hinges. I attached the tub to the base using metal roofing screws to keep it water tight and finished with a couple of coats of cedar deck stain/water proofing.By the time the reception was over, I had this one sold and had orders for a few more. Yes, the spigot is a working drain. It holds 8 full cases of soda and fifteen 10 pound bags of ice.
This is loose end that I had laying near the lathe for a while and I decided to finish it for the show tomorrow. I got this big alder log from a firewood pile in Washington State. It was twice as long but it was very cracked so I cut off half of the height and burned it and still had some cracks to contend with in this piece. I filled them with powdered gold stone and CA glue. I'll never use that in a turning again unless I can just sand it. It dulled 4 bowl gouges to just clean up the fills. Actually the fleck in the gold stone does not show up very well in this small of an area.This bowl is 10” x 3” high and finished with Danish oil and buffed and waxed.Cheers, Jim
“Big Santa Painted!” I completed painting this guy last night and i think he turned out pretty good. Not as good as the original by Harold Enlow, but I knew that wasn't very likely. But I still enjoy carving his rough outs and I learn quite a bit from each one and hopefully something will rub off one of these days. He is about 16 inches tall and six inches wide, so there is a lot of room for details. I did open his eyes up a bit, although they are still a little squinty. I was trying a technique that Vic Hood mentioned for making a happy eye. At least I'm happy! Thanks for looking!