Here's some before and after pictures of some sandwich knives used at our deli. As you can see in the second picture, the handles where sort of nasty looking. I did a quick job of replacing the handles. Only three of the four made it into the “after” picture because one was back in service before I could take the picture. The new handles came from a scrap of wood that I'd had around for years. It was labeled walnut, but given the color I can't help but wonder if it was English walnut. The shapes were rough cut on the bandsaw, and then the final shaping was done mostly by hand using files and rasps. The finish is a home brew of mineral oil and bees wax.
My first mallet on the Treadle lathe made from a piece of firewood. I finished it off with a piece of leather hand-sewn around the hitting surface. It was inspired by my Wood is Good Mallets. The winner of the mallet was announced today.If you are interested in seeing the build on video, I will post a link below.Thanks,Jim View on YouTube