Seven units sized to fit as built in. Designed in Sketchup. Sketchup model includes a model of the room to ensure the units fit. Pulled the dimensions from Sketchup to create dimensioned drawings in Visio. This was done before I acquired Fusion 360. The current workflow using Fusion is much easier.The client wanted simple and painted. The units have 3/4” Sande plywood carcases and 1×2 frames. One shelf on each unit is fixed. The rest are adjustable.It was to be the last project I built in my uncle's shop before he passed away.
I am very fortunate to have my mother in my life so this is a bowl that I've made for Mother's Day. It is from the same wood stock that I've been calling elm but it is probably better called mystery wood. It is a simple form that I seem to keep making but this one is a bit more refined that the others I've made.Here is one that is similar for comparison. Spalted Ash Bowl This Mother's Day Bowl is a bit more refined in the both the profile and the cut. I was able to achieve a very smooth surface by sharpening my bowl gouge frequently. I also sanded it from 180 grit to 600 grit and was very happy with the smooth texture on the exterior. The interior was also more refined and I was able to get a very thin wall thickness of about 1/8th of an inch.This mystery wood is so easy to cut and it is gorgeous with the color and wild grain. I will be sad when I use the last piece of it. The dimensions of this bowl are 3 1/4” tall x 5 1/2” at its widest point.The finish included buffing with tripoli and white diamond compounds so it had a polished sheen with no oil or finish product. Tripoli is about 800 -1000 grit. White Diamond is about 1500-1800 grit. I then followed it by a buffing with carnauba wax. On a whim I decided to apply Howard's Feed and Wax to make the wild grain pop and was very happily surprised by the depth it added.Here is one final pic of the Mother's Day Bowl. Thanks for looking.
I had a broken Acacia board that had been floating around in the workshop. So I thought I would try and carve a spoon. Well…. one spoon grew into four and still carving them. I started with the gumnuts and Eucalyptus leaves. Then the NSW emblem of the Waratah Then i thought I would try for all the floral emblems of each Australian state. The Cooktown orchid for Queensland I had one order for the city of Brisbane which happens to be a red poinsettia even though iys a native to Mexico. I am really enjoying these as they are relatively stress free and easy to do once cut. And they turn out well. Once the carving is finished I coat with food grade oil or wax. I realised that oil is easier because of the carved detail.