Well I let the elves in the barn with the wood furnace running and here is what they did. They made pens out of the 8 comfort grip pens kits that were left!!I used samples of the various woods I had in the wood room to see what wood will look the best on pens. They are from left to right: Birds eye maple, purple heart, red box elder, hard maple burl, teak, yin and yang walnut and maple, regular box elder and acacia with a small fractal burned pattern on it. They are all finished with EEE and Shellawax.One problem I had with the EEE was that the rag would slide onto the brass spacer bushing and get black and deposit that onto the wood. I could not get it all off because the bushing were already sanded down to size. So I thought I'd make the bushings out of a material that did not turn black when polished with EEE. I made a complete set of Delrin bushings and I'll try them out tomorrow with EEE. They should work good with CA glue too because just about nothing sticks to that slippery Delrin. This is my little tool set I use in the drill press to press all the parts together. I stand the tube on the small peg and it holds it vertical for good alignment under the top arbor with the three diameters on it. cheers, Jim
We were moving into a new house and needed a new dining table so I decided to make one. I found this amazing Parota slab at a local wood shop and knew it would be great. It's 8' long x 45 wide and 2 thick. I finished it with Waterlox to harden and waterproof it for everyday use. The base is 2×4 steel tube I painted with spray on truck bed liner.I had a lot of fun with this project including finding out how irritating Parota dust is.Overall, I'm really happy with the way it turned out and we hopefully will get a ton of use out of it.