When LJ Andy posted his Fishy project, I knew someday I had to make a school of them. I made mine out of sapele and hard maple. I liked the way the vertical bands run in sapele and they really came to life when rubbed out with Tried and True -linseed oil with beeswax finish. Instead of running stopped dados in the sapele, I cut, ran through dados and glued them back together. That saved a lot of chiseling. I used a plug cutter for the eyes and decided to offset the pupil for a fun look. This was a great project that I enjoyed building. They made a couple of nice gifts for the holidays.Thanks for looking and I wish everyone on LJs a wonderful New Year!
It's been a long time since I've posted here! I've gotten out of the habit of documenting my projects, however I have a few that I can share….This is a Christmas tree shelf I made recently. The plans came from Anna White. It's made out of poplar (or clear pine – I can't remember), and stained to have a rustic appearance.I went a little above and beyond what the plans called for, which definitely added to the complexity. All of the joints are dowelled and glued. It was some good practice, but really time consuming.I ended up giving this away as a prize for the winner of a Winter 5K Race