February 2021

Magnetic Knife Bar

Magnetic Knife BarThis was a simple little project that punches above its weight in terms of functionality and aesthetics vs effort and skill.I needed to free up some kitchen drawer space and I also wanted to easier access to my knives (I do cook a lot) without resorting to a traditional knife block, so I decided make this knife bar from a scrap of 3/4 walnut and some bar magnets from Amazon.I had to experiment with the magnets and the thickness of the wood, so that the bar would have the right holding power – enough so that the knives would stay put, but could still be removed pretty easily (with a little twist, cutting edge out). In the end, I had to route the dado so that the remaining thickness was about 1/8th of an inch and I had to stack two magnets on top of each other to increase their pull. I ended up using a total of 14 magnets and they're all oriented in the same direction – I could have gotten the magnets closer to each other if I inverted every other pair, but that resulted in more pronounced dead spots between the magnets. As is, the pull is strongest in the middle of each magnet stack, but it's still strong enough to hold between magnets, too.Using fasteners to keep the magnets in place didn't seem practical, so I covered them in epoxy. Keeping strong magnets in place for the pour and curing time can be a challenge when they're this close together, they want to jump at each other, so I placed the bar face down on a metal table and then put the magnets in place – this made them stay in place, holding on to the table, and kept them from fighting each other.In addition to the dado to house the magnets, I routed keyhole slots for a cleaner look without fasteners on the face of the mounted bar.It was finished simply with Danish Oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Feb-2021

Brass Bowl Recovery

Brass Bowl RecoveryNew Life of a Brass Bowl. Unusual work in a carpentry workshop.VIDEO

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Feb-2021

Lipless Crankbait using chrome paint

Lipless Crankbait using chrome paintYet another pandemic bait. Can't wait for ice out. A lipless crankbait with a new chrome paint called spazstiks. Made of cedar (an old deck board). As usual I make everything but the hooks.BTW….I do make other things besides baits you know. Look at my gallery. I've got a combo dresser/changing table in the works. It's almost done. I'll be posting the project and a video of that too… in a few days.Video below!

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Feb-2021

Board-Stretching Joint

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Board-Stretching Joint I bought a planer/molder so I could make my own moldings. My living room required one 28'.-long molding, but all I had to make it were 12'. boards. I didn't want to settle for …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Feb-2021

Infinity Professional Router Table Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Professional Router Table Package Buy Now  Manufacturer: Infinity MSRP: $1074.40  Tricked Out Router Table Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to use a variety of router tables, ranging from shop-made versions to high-end tables from top …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Feb-2021

Wood clamp

Wood clampHey jocks…...it's been a few years since my last post! Just thought I'd check in

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Feb-2021

A dozen roses, - 3?

A dozen roses, - 3?Gotten behind on projects, so this is the “latest” upload. The carving is in mahogany, from drawings of roses in a Berkerley (California) rose garden in the surrounding hills. I spent hours drawing the selected blooms (I'm not an artist) and finally (months later) created a composition that appealed to me. The blooms are of several varieties of roses, .. to those who care, .. get ov er it! I decided on 8 of 12 roses, because more would have been too “noisy” and too crowded. The final project is about 17” x 20”. The extension beyond the frame was a last minute decision which was an appropriate choice! The project required edge glueing two sections of a mahogany board I'd acquired. I presented the finished project to my fianc (eventually wife and mother of my son), who was present, and encouraged my drawing activities.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Feb-2021

Red Caboose

Red CabooseI finished the red caboose to go along with the locomotive and tender. the box is made out of padauk with a black walnut roof. It has a cocobolo pot belly stove a desk and a bed on the inside. I also included a rail road crossing sign specifically for LBD. I cut a 300 Win. Mag. brass cartridge to make shades for the lights. Worked great.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Feb-2021

Block Plane Basics

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

This versatile hand tool should be every woodworker's first plane purchase. As a professional woodworker I often get asked what's the best bang-for-the-buck tool by people getting into this craft. My response is always to ask if they have a …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Feb-2021

Northwest Coast Elbow Adze

Northwest Coast Elbow AdzeThe gutter blade was purchased from Kestrel Tools in northwest Washington. They provide excellent instructions on how to make your own handle and fasten the blade with tarred seine fishing twine.I made my handle from an 8/4 rift sawn hickory board. The head was reinforced with an epoxied hard wood dowel. I found shaping the handle was easiest using a spokeshave and Auriou file. Put one coat of shellac on it. I am thinking of putting baseball bat pitch wax on the handle for better grip, a David Fisher trick. Some people rough it up with carved divots but I hear they can really rough up your hand.I plan on using it to hollow green wood bowls and large spoons. I am also going to give some of the Northwest traditional aboriginal crafts ago such as the ladle, canoe bowls and bent wood boxes. The kestrel tool site has great free videos of Gregg making these crafts.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Feb-2021

Infinity Professional Router Table PackageReview

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Feb-2021

Schooner relief carving

Schooner relief carvingWhat a difference from my previous work share here at Lumberjocks. Practice it the key. When I'm willing to make mistakes it amazing how beneficial my carving practice can be. This is a basswood relief using an assortment of flex tools.

posted at: 12:01am on 25-Feb-2021

Table with bench

Table with benchFor my daughter I made a table with a bench. It is made out of Hevea wood panels which were already glued out of small pieces. The panel size is 80×400x2,8cm.All the joints are done with invisible connectors, who are normaly used as cot connectors. I used a water bassed coloring and a cellulose lacquer as a top layer.THANKS FOR WATCHING.

posted at: 12:01am on 25-Feb-2021

Dock Chair

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Lightweight, folding and portable, this chair is so simple to make you'll want a pair - or more. I've always disliked the Adirondack chair and have never understood its popularity. I find it uncomfortable because the human frame does not …Source

posted at: 12:01am on 25-Feb-2021

Folding Table Base

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

This mobile, folding table base provides a huge work area, holds a ton and folds up to only 7 in. thick.Source

posted at: 12:01am on 25-Feb-2021

Hand carved Koala

Hand carved KoalaI have FINALLY managed to complete this order from last year. I deferred it until I had more brain power to nut it out as I had a lot of Christmas orders to get out.I am so pleased that I did as it as I am quite pleased with it considering that I have never carved a koala at all.
I initially wanted to carve it all as one piece- the stand, back rest etc. However things turned out totally different. I broke the base while carving and then decided to cut off the back rest in lieu of a real branch that I found in the paddock.That then had to be attached some how, so I screwed in on, filled the large-ish gap with PVA glue mixed with wood shavings and sawdust. Once dry did a layer of shop bought wood filler, then painted it.Haven't yet added it to my social pages but there are some work in progress shots if you want to check them out.
Theresa's Treasures at Derrymore-

posted at: 12:01am on 25-Feb-2021

"C" Cab Delivery Van

"C" Cab Delivery Van “C” Cab Delivery VanThis little truck was inspired by Doug, aka Hunter71.I'd seen him make some beautiful delivery vans in a C cab pattern.Some time ago he'd kindly shared his “C” cab pattern with me which was extremely generous and helpful as it gave me a starting point.I've used Doug's pattern on a number of trucks but thought it was about time to have a go at a Delivery Van.Not a heap of extra detail on this first attempt but enough to make an interesting toy for a child's play.As you can see the van is about 12” long.The timbers are as follows:
Spotted Gum sides,
Tallow Wood roof & rear doors,
Merbau for the engine & radiator as well as the mudguards [fenders],
Tassie Oak for the running boards as is the chassis,
The finish is my Home-Made Wipe-On-Poly.Shop bought 2” wheels and ale pegs plus the furniture buttons used for lights.Button steering wheel and bead gear shift on bamboo skewers.Not sure if this one's for the community club fund raising or as a gift.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Feb-2021

Comments:

Kinda quick table saw calibration

Kinda quick table saw calibrationSo I ripped off the woodpeckers miter to blade guide. HF dial indicator, oak and an piece of brass rod I had I didn't know what to do with. My blade was within 0.002 at max but adjusted my fence to be just off parallel as I like it +0.002 or so.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Feb-2021

Wine Cork Board Frames.

Wine Cork Board Frames.Blondie mentioned she needed some frames for all the corks we have.We make cork boards out of them and people seem to love them. I used some Oak and Paduk that was left over. We all know that end grain is a weak glue joint. So I made Paduk splines for the corners. I put a rabbit on the backside for the hardboard. I used Arm-a-seal as the finish.
I made a cpl wine stoppers from the cutoffs on the lathe just for fun.
Thx appreciate y'all looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Feb-2021

April Wilkerson Interview: Assembly Required

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

In between the many different projects April has going, we were able to ask her (via email) a bit about Assembly Required, a new TV show premiering on the History Channel tonight. In addition to April, the show stars legendary …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Feb-2021

Comments:
1 comment

Circular Saw Crosscut Station

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Crosscut Station Buy Now  Manufacturer: Kreg MSRP: $59.99 It can be tricky to do precision work with a standard circular saw, which is why it's usually relegated to breaking down material before you do the detail work …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Feb-2021

Sowing the Seeds of Woodworking

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

My first time teaching woodworking to a group of toddlers took place almost two years ago. This opportunity to introduce the craft of wood to what is by far the youngest crowd I have ever taught was in my son's …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Feb-2021

JAR OPENER

JAR OPENERBeing a senior citizen my hand strength seems to be waning. SWMBO has been hinting that she could use something to help her open some jars.The other day I was browsing the internet and saw this Jar Opener that cost about $20.00 ($14.75 on sale). I thought that with all the wood scraps in my shop and broken bandsaw and old hack saw blades I could easily make one of these.This is the perfect project to keep me busy during this pandemic.I started with drawing the plans in Sketch Up. Then down to the shop to build it.I started by laying out a 7-3/4 inch circle on a scrap piece of 3/4 plywood. Drew a line down the middle. Then 1 inch from the edge of the circle I drew 2 lines 30 degrees on either side of the line to form a 60 degree angle. I then cut the circle. Then I cut 2 pieces (yellow and blue in illustration above).HINT: If you have enough scrap wood around the circle layout, you can cut the lines that make the 60 degree angle first. Use a piece of scrap (guide board) that has 2 edges that are parellel and bigger than the board your circle layout board. Align one of the parallel edges of the guide board to the line to be cut and screw it to the circle board in a waste area. Use the other edge of the Guide board against the table saw fence to cut the line. Repeat to cut the 2nd line.Then the circle part can be cut on a bandsaw.Although this illustration shows cutting kerfs in the yellow part I actually cut the kerfs in the blue part. So make a note of this if you try to build it. Also note that in the final assembly the blue and yellow parts are reversed.Before proceeding with this step, you need to identify what saw blade you are going to be using. I would suggest using a blade that is at least 1/2 inch wide like a hack saw or bandsaw blade. You will need 2 blades about 6 inches long. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff abrasive blade to cut my blades.The blades need to project 3/16 to 1/4 inch from the wood.I used a Japanese pull saw to cut the kerfs because it makes a really small kerf. To create a depth guide to make sure the kerf depth would be even I used double stick tape to attach a scrap of 1/4 inch plywood to one side of the pull saw. The edge of the scrap was located a distance from the fine teeth of the saw so when the saw blades are inserted they project the proper distance from the wood.To guide the saw 1/4 inch from the side of the blue part I clamped a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood on top of the 1/4 inch depth guide and extended it below the teeth of the saw so that it would ride against the side of the blue part.The blue part of the jar opener was then put in a vise and the saw was used to accurately cut the kerf the right distance from the edge and to the correct depth. The second kerf was cut after I flipped the blue part in the vise in the similar manner.The 7-3/4 inch circle bottom piece was cut from a scrap piece of 1/4 inch piece of plywood. Then the yellow and blue pieces were glued to the bottom piece. REMEMBER flip the blue and yellow piece when gluing this assembly.After the glue set I sanded the edges of the circles to match. I also used a round over bit to finish the edges of the blue and yellow pieces.The saw blades now have to be sized. I cut my blades to a length so that when inserted into the kerfs they were about 1/4 inch shorter than the kerf. This allowed me to glue a thin piece of wood at the end of the blade to help keep it in the kerf. If the blades do not fit tight in the kerfs use a little epoxy to secure the blade in the kerf.NOTE: The blades should point toward where the angle meets.This is what my blades look like after installation. The blades that I used were 1/2 inch bandsaw blades.All thats left to do is drill and countersink the mounting holes and applying some finish. I used mineral oil on mine.This is the my jar opener mounted under the cabinet.I like it and SWMBO likes it too.NOTE: If you want to build this you can save my illustrations and youll have enough information to do it.Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Feb-2021

Carved Kookaburras

Carved Kookaburras Another bird to add to the ever growing number of carved birds.
I have been using the pyrography technique to add the feather and finer detail instead of carving. It really makes adding the finer details a lot easier, especially on timber that has resin or hard to carve areas.
One kookaburra
https://youtube.com/shorts/2eDaG-HVYJATwo Kookaburras

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Feb-2021

Practical Paraffin

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Ordinary paraffin canning wax has dozens of uses in my shop. It's cheap at a few bucks a pound, available at any grocery store, and easy to cut into small chunks. Unlike candle wax, which often contains beeswax, or some …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Feb-2021

Pergola birdfeeder

Pergola birdfeederI built it for a friend.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Feb-2021

Comments:

Out feed table for two saws

Out feed table for two saws Built a outfeed set up for my new saw and old. I'll add drawers and doors under it for storage and access to the dust collection.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Feb-2021

Comments:

How To Make A Hot Glue Gun Stand - The Super Simple Way!

How To Make A Hot Glue Gun Stand - The Super Simple Way!Hello everyone.This little project helped me solve a problem. My hot glue gun kept tipping over every time I set it down. So, I looked on line at various designs and, well, quite frankly, I didn't want to spend that much time on making something that isn't that important to me. I needed something that I could make quickly and something that would do the job. This super simple, and I mean super simple, stand did the trick. Apart from the added time making the video , the whole thing can be made in about 5 minutes (assuming that you have some scrap wood and a way to drill the holes). Now, I realize that not everyone has the same glue gun that I do so yo may have to modify yours a bit.Nonetheless, I hope this was a help to you. Let me know what you think. And if you get a chance, watch the video. And do be sure to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE. Please leave a comment below the video.Thanks and take care.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Feb-2021

Laundry Cart Wheels

Laundry Cart WheelsI was asked to make some wheels to replace the 4” wheels on this laundry cart because the 4” ones were too hard to push in the gravel. The wheels are 1” wide and 9” diameter with 8 holes to match the rear ones. They are made from mesquite and painted gloss black. I thought I had a close up of the wheels right after I turned them but I can't find it.The cart moves very easy in the gravel with 4 9” wheels!!Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Feb-2021

Rustic picture frame

Rustic picture frameCleaned up the shop with this one. Picture frame idea. Barn board back, some shingles made from an oak wedge I made years ago, a trip to the hobby store and a couple of photos I was proud of. Magnetized picture frame from Wal-Mart is stuck to a piece of metal on the barn board. A galvanized elbow created a nice roof line.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Feb-2021

Golf Ball in Wood Block

Golf Ball in Wood BlockHad seen this done by a few other LJers on this site and on YouTube. Decided to try it myself. I had some 2X2 inch Poplar that I cut down to 1 3/4” X 1 3/4”, and cut them to five inches in length. I set up a quick jig on my drill press and used a forstner bit to hog out most of the wood and finished it on my osc. spindle sander. The slots are 1 1/4” wide and 3 1/2” in length. Golf balls are 1 7/8” dia. Already gave a couple away and had one destroyed by a weak minded friend of mine trying to force the ball out, didn't know how it was put in. I tell everyone that there are NO cuts, breaks, glue or anything used to get the ball in. I covered the ball with tape before inserting it in. Then a couple coats of lacquer, 0000 steel wool to buff, then peeled tape off. Since it is sealed, it would be a little harder to get out. Mel

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Feb-2021

Vacuum press I built back in 2012

Vacuum press I built back in 2012Built this vacuum pump and system and made my own bag and platen.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2021

Swedish Trestle Table

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

This classic design is at home in settings both rustic and modern. PROJECT #2007 Skill Level: Intermediate Time: 4 days Cost: $500 My home is a 150-year-old farmhouse situated in the middle of Cincinnati, Ohio. When it …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2021

A Pair Of Simple Edge Grain Cutting Boards

A Pair Of Simple Edge Grain Cutting Boards I know that these aren't the most complex cutting boards that are out there. They are made from maple, cherry and walnut. No intricate patterns or frills (ie juice grooves and rubber feet) but they are flat, smooth and pleasing to the eye. The last cutting board I made was 38 years ago in a fully equipped high school wood shop (which I still have). I'm especially proud of the maple used in these boards, I milled it from a very rough piece of maple that wasn't remotely square and varied in thickness from less than 3/4 on one corner to well over an inch elsewhere. I cut the finger grooves with a 1/2 rabbeting bit with my DeWalt plunge router. I also used it to chamfer and round over the edges. This was a great way to start out my journey into the finer aspects of woodworking. A little side note, I managed to break my left foot a few days after starting this project, quite a sight for the neighbors to see me wheeling around my garage on my Knee Scooter. The boards were sanded down to 220grit, grain raised then hand sanded back down to 220grit. I finished them with about 6 coats of mineral oil and then a final coat of Walrus Oil cutting board finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2021

Festool TID 18 and T18+3-E Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: TID 18 impact driver Buy Now T18+3-E drill/driver Buy Now  Manufacturer: Festool MSRP: Starting at $199 for bare tool Premium Impact Driver and Drill Like all power tool companies, Festool is continuing to improve its battery …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2021

Comments:

Box built for granddaughter.

Box built for granddaughter.Hand cut dovetails, Combination of woods. Purpleheart, Walnut for the tray, Maple for the sides. I can't remember what the lid was made of next to the purpleheart. Memory box for Granddaughter.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2021

Another shelving unit

Another shelving unitA couple years ago, I picked up a new hobby, Stained Glass, but never got any shelves to store my accessories.I have built 3 of these unit for my woodworking shop, so this is the 4th one I have built.To make the 1/2” deep by 3/8” wide groove for the 1/2” MDF shelf to set in, I set up the Dado blade on the table saw. I use the blue Rockler clamps to hold a sacrificial board, so the dado set does not hit the fence. Works pretty slick once you get it set up.Seems like I am always running out of storage space, so I will probably be making some more of these :)For more details, see my woodworking web site.Thanks

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2021

Antler Back Scratcher

Antler Back ScratcherSo I had a bunch of Antlers laying around the shop. All were Drops found on the ranch. I literally had some Mesquite scraps laying round. So I engraved the date we found on the antler drilled a hole to accept handle and Bam we have a back scratcher. I added a leather loop to hang around the shop and the campsite.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2021

Comments:

Which Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig Should I Get?

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Kreg recently rolled out their new line of pocket hole jigs, meaning that the hold K3/4/5 hierarchy is no more. In it's place is a new series of jigs aimed at woodworkers of all levels. So which one is right …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2021

A Hoseline Clothesline

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

There's nothing more annoying than a vacuum hose dragging on the bench when you're working with a router, sander or other power tool. These big hoses always seem to hang up on workpieces and tangle with tools on the bench. …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2021

One plywood sheet Bookcase

One plywood sheet BookcaseShout out to The Wood Whisper for the plans. I purchased from the site and built from 1 sheet of 4×8 plywood. This was meant to go into my office but my daughter came home from school and needed a book case. Very good instructions, easy project even with minimal tools. If I built again I would use a sanding sealer or shellac to seal prior to staining. I thought from the beginning that I was going to paint it, but stained because it's what I had and I didn't need to run to the store again!!

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2021

My first rolling pins!

My first rolling pins!Gifts for upcoming birthdays. I saw some of these online and wanted to try them. It was also an excuse to get more experience on the lathe.These are made of maple, cherry, and walnut. They are 1.75” diameter in the middle, with a 4” taper at the ends to 1.25” on the ends. This leaves a 12” workable flat surface in the middle. I used sandpaper on a board to smooth it nice and flat in the middle, and work my taper smooth on the ends. I only sanded to 220 grit, as I read that you do not want to sand them too smooth, or they will not coat well with flour. I did finish with mineral oil, but no wax for the same reason.I am happy with the way they came out, but I am not a baker… I await the final verdict from the pastry chefs, and expect payment in treats so I can help with the evaluation! :-)

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2021

1919 Ford Model T

1919 Ford Model TFinishing up my Ford Model T, 1919. A lot of fun to build. I made the wheels, the headlights and the radiator on my CNC router.Phil

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2021

New and Improved ISOtunes Headphones

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: XTRA 2.0 Buy Now LINK Buy Now  Manufacturer: ISOtunes MSRP: $79.99 each Bluetooth Hearing Protection The ISOtunes family of hearing-protection headphones has grown by two recently, with the addition of the XTRA 2.0 and LINK. Like …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2021

Mill Brass & Aluminum with a CNC Router

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Add a new dimension to your woodworking skills. With the right techniques and tooling your CNC router can mill brass and aluminum with dependability, accuracy and consistency. Milling these materials on a home shop CNC router isn't difficult, but milling …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2021

Medium Sized lumber cart

Medium Sized lumber cartMedium Sized lumber cartOverall dimensions are approximately 60”W x 17 1/2”D x 50”HI found this design on youtube: link below. The video has a link to a place where you can purchase the plans which I did.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMMKFDCpiisThis is a good sized cart for my needs. It allows me to move my partial sheets out of the way and it doesn't take up excessive room itself.I built it according to the plans except I added extra 2×4 where the casters attach. Below is a link to the casters I usedhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1GWFLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2021

Moon and star bookends

Moon and star bookends Made out of reclaimed timber floating floor and put together with dowels and glued.
Cut on the scrollsaw and given a few coats if paint.
This is a link to a short video
Inside my workshop and what I am currently working on at the moment
https://youtu.be/M3ZF3sVrYTcAlways more on my pages
Theresa's Treasures at Derrymore-

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Feb-2021

Library Magazine Rack

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

This wall hung magazine rack is easy to make with a few simple tools and readily available material.Source

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Feb-2021

Triangle Marking System

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Keeping project parts organized and in proper relation to one another while machining and assembling them can be a real challenge, especially if you're organizing the pieces for attractive grain composition. So how do you mark the parts for quick …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Feb-2021

Tree Shelf

Tree Shelf This only took a couple of hours to put together. Made from Cypress Pine pickets and baling twine.
It was initially made at Christmas time as a Christmas tree. But as I am carving several different bird species I was running out of suitable places to display them.
This tree works great and will have another couple of birds to add to it soon.Short video-
Inside my workshop, the projects that I am currently working on
tps://youtu.be/M3ZF3sVrYTcTheresa's Treasures at Derrymore-

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Feb-2021

Seasonal Napkin Holder

Seasonal Napkin HolderBreakfast Table napkin holder with salt and pepper grinders.
Made one of these with a round oak base years ago, then added more seasonal inserts over the years. Never really liked the round base and it was too thin, so I finally just made this new smaller rectangular one.Base of 1” thick cherry, with slots for the seasonal inserts.
The inserts are all cut on the scrollsaw, and just press fit into the slots
The stainless steel salt and pepper grinders sit in 7/8” deep holesStill plan to make more inserts as new ideas come to mind.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Feb-2021

Rustic Coat rack

Rustic Coat rackMy oldest daughter is really into the rustic furniture. She commissioned me to build her a repurposed lumber coat rack. This is what I came up with. It is basically 1 X 6 barn wood. Most of it is milled from Bald Cypress that was so abundant here in South Louisiana. I also used 2X10 pine and 4X4 treated lumber for my fittings. The whole thing can be disassembled and reassembled without any tools. In one picture I have it laid out to show assembly methods of one piece inside another. It stands about 68 tall, and I incorporated railroad spikes for the coat hooks. I found the spikes at an old Mom & Pop hardware store for $1 per spike. My daughter really likes it and is in the entry foyer of her house.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2021

The New Kreg 720 and 520 Pocket-Hole Jigs

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: 720 Pocket-Hole Jig Buy Now 720PRO Pocket-Hole Jig Buy Now 520PRO Pocket-Hole Jig Buy Now Manufacturer: Kreg MSRP: $99.99-$149.99 Redesigned Pocket Hole Jigs Packed With Useful Features Kreg's name is nearly synonymous with pocket hole jigs. …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2021

Leonardo da Vinci wing machine

Leonardo da Vinci wing machinehttps://youtu.be/rKyKYnCdz7cI built this last summer, its the first project I ever filmed. The wing is all Sapele, with brass and ebony accents. The base is made from rigid foam and rocks from the yard, (I also build diorama's). its fairly large as models go, 32” long, 18” high, 13” wide, and it does move as da Vinci's drawing suggests, although it was a fun figuring it out. I am working on a way to show it flapping , thats on the way….

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2021

Barrel Lid Clock

Barrel Lid ClockHi:In keeping with the use of wine barrels for my recent projects, I have constructed and carved a “Wine Barrel Clock”.The clock is made of white oak from a reconditioned wine barrel lid. By reconditioned, I mean that the lid had to be disassembled and prepared for lamination and gluing. After this, the lid had to be levelled on both sides and then reshaped into a true circle, as it had come out of the barrel slightly elliptical.Next, a paper pattern had to be made and transferred onto the outside surface of the barrel lid.Only then could the carving commence.The background areas were “stamped”, or as the English say, “stippled”. The letters were hand carved. I have done thousands of letters over the years, so this part of the project was routine.I chose the scripture passage from Ecclesiastes 3:11 to provoke thought on the contrasting concepts of time and eternity. It is my understanding that “eternity” in not made of an “infinite amount of time” but is actually the “absence of time and all its constrains”. I wonder if Einstein would agree with this sentiment :-)As it says in 2 Peter 3:8 “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”Something to think about each time I look at this clock.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2021

Woodworking in America: Milton Mizell

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

We're interviewing makers from all 50 states. Today we're featuring Milton Mizell, a box builder from Florida. How did you get started woodworking? Who were your mentors? Growing up, I watched my super handy Dad build all sorts of things …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2021

Writing Desk

Writing DeskSo what do you do when your son asks you to make him a desk…..make him a desk!The desk is solid walnut. Measures 30” X 60” with a 2' drawer. The legs are tapered on inside portion only. The apron is attached using mortise and tenon with the rest of the supports and top attached via pocket holes. The drawer and front apron are cut from a single piece so the grain continues across the whole front. I sanded to 600 grit (I know probably overkill) raising the grain after the 220 and 300 grit. It was super smooth! Finished off with danish oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2021

Chuck Box- A kitchen for camping

Chuck Box- A kitchen for campingThis is a box that I just finished building designed to hold food and cooking related things while camping out of my truck. I've looked at a bunch of chuck box designs prior to making my own, however I could not find any just like this one. One of the most glaring differences is the fact that most of them hold stoves, mine however does not because I already have a storage spot in my camper build. If you wanted to make yours hold a stove a couple inches wider would do the trick. The top part would also be a nice spot to keep the stove all set up, I plan on using mine for food. I do have the option to set the stove across the top part by just hauling 2 extra wooden slats. The mahogany slats on the inside of the top make a really nice surface that I don't have to worry about scratching or burning paint. Oh, did I mention it had retractable handles? If you are interested in any more details, check out my video- https://youtu.be/yyIrS0_dmGY

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2021

Candy Dispensers

Candy DispensersI made these months ago. This was the prototype, I didn't use the same wood or even design when I made the others.I used Danish oil followed by wax and the smell just wouldn't go away. The first time my son tried it out he said the candy smelled bad. I realized the outgassing of the Danish oil was wafting up into the bottle containing the candy and making them smell terrible.I asked for help on our forums and got some great advice. I was told to try shellac to seal the wood and trap the smell. It was recommended that I order flakes rather than using shellac out of a can. I found a place called the Shellac Shack that sold a 1 lb. sample pack of shellac. They had 6 colors to choose from of which you could pick 4. I ordered the 4 middle colors and watched some videos on how it was done.One recommendation was to grind the flakes in a coffee grinder. We happened to have a brand new one on a shelf that we never used and I snatched it. Once ground up it took less than a half hour to be completely dissolved and ready to use.I had to take everything apart that wasn't glued together for access to the inside. I carefully drilled out the plugs so I could get access to the screws holding the top and bottom on.Then I wiped everything down with lacquer thinner and put on a couple of coats of shellac. All the dispensers had to be refinished, but now there are corners and protrusions to deal with. I tried the pad method and that left small puddles around any protrusion so I switched to a brush so I could get into corners and around anything that wasn't flat.I found that this would leave small puddles that when a second coat was put on it would darken in those spots and show up even more. I really struggled to get a finish I wanted. When I tried the shellac on another project that had flat panels it worked like a charm and was one of the easiest finishes I've ever tried.I can't seem to get a picture that shows what it really looks like, it is much more noticeable in person. I also got some damage when I had to drill out the plugs to take things apart, this project kicked my butt but they still came out pretty good and I know the people that get them won't even notice.I know a lot of people here use shellac and must run into the same problems I did unless they finish everything before it all gets put together. If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid these problems I sure would appreciate hearing about them.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2021

Tea box with inlay

Tea box with inlaySo I wanted to kill two birds with one stone with this latest project: make a box and do some inlay. Since I have some black walnut and bubinga lying around I decided to make a tea box for my wife. The box sides and bottom panels are 1/2” walnut and the top panel is solid 1/2” bubinga. The center inlay is amboyna burl which I resawed from a flitch I picked up a few months back because it looked interesting. The inlay banding is just some 'black morado' I picked up from Rockler because it looked like it would be a good match. I put some black string inlay along the seam between the panels and the carcasse. I actually had a bit of a time with finishing this because I don't tend to grain fill but this turned out to be an issue with the inlay banding around the center panel. I could just never get that to finish properly. Fortunately, I had also picked up some grain filler a few months ago when it was on sale so I just gave everything a sand and started over. Hinges are just JB-102 1-1/4” Brusso 90 degree stop hinges. The center dividers are just some maple that I resawed and ran through the drum sander. I sanded them to smooth but didn't bother to finish them. They whole divder assembly isn't attached so if I ever decided to change that or the wood in there I can pull it out.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Feb-2021

Comments:

Snowman ornament on the lathe

Snowman ornament on the latheBuilding some inventory for next years Christmas from firewood and a broken chair leg.
The piece of spalted ash was originally cut for a bowl blank, had rot running through it. Instead of firewood, I decided to cut spindle blanks instead.
I used a broken walnut chair leg to make hats for the snowman.
Used a story board pattern for replicating proportions for the snowmen.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Feb-2021

Permanent Clamp Pads

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

I lost the rubber pads that came with my clamps. I liked the way the pads protected the wood, so I decided to make my own. After a couple dips in liquid plastic ($9 at a hardware store), my clamps …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2021

Comments:

Purple Heart and maple end grain cutting board

Purple Heart and maple end grain cutting boardI made this for my girlfriend this week for Valentine's Day.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2021

Southern Cellarette

Southern CellaretteThis is a reproduction of a Southern style cellarette for storage of bottles of fine beverages. Around 1760, the Dutch began importing gin into the American Colonies, and other high quality spirits came from elsewhere. This style cellarette evolved to store the square bottles containing the Dutch gin; however, the bottles were prized and were reused for brandy and other spirits. The upper case was designed to be removed, thus, when visitors arrived who were not deemed worthy of sharing the very expensive spirits, the case and contents could be quickly whisked out o sight. These cellarettes were very similar to sugar boxes in the colonial period, except for the partitions. Similar cellarettes were in use in the UK at the time.The original of this piece was made around 1780 by Micajah Wilkes in North Carolina, and is on display in the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. Wilkes is known for several exceptional pieces; the original cellarette sold at auction for $165,200 before being donated to the museum. The original is shown in the last photo.The piece measures 34 high, 19 wide and 14 deep and accommodates 12 bottles. Inside compartments separate the bottles and prevent banging together. The compartments are 3 5/8 square and accommodate most bottles.The wood is 7/8” walnut, with curly maple bead accents and inlays.My goal was to build this with traditional vintage hand tools. The only operations were done by machine were crosscutting the panels on the table saw sled for perfect squareness, and routing the profile around the top. The molding corner joints were cut with the pre-1912 Goodell miter box, using the Disston back saw which dates between 1896-1910.The through dovetails on the case are hand cut. The half-blind and through dovetails on the drawer are also hand cut.The 15” wide board was thicknessed and smoothed using the #606 Bedrock and #7 foreplane. Most of the planing was done with the #606. When I restored it, I ignored the blade as it had a significant nick an dI had spent enough time on it. Once I worked it out, it became obvious that the blade is laminated – I was unaware that Stanley made laminated blades, but it is clearly marked. That extra hard blade was honed down to 1000 grit and cut throughout the entire project without resharpening.The final smoothing of the surfaces was done with card scrapers and a restored Stanley #12 scraper plane with an owner's name and date of 1905 - it worked beautifully, but slowly. There was a leaning curve for sharpening the #12 blade, but once mastered, it was great.The recesses for the accent moldings were cut with a #78 rabbett plane. Some antique chisels were used in cutting the dovetails. The dovetails were laid out using a divider owned by my great-grandfather.In the interest of authenticity, I used cut nails to attach the drawer slides and kickers, as well as the bottom. likewise, it took some effort to find small steel screws for the lock, as brass screws did not exist in the 1700's.I was not satisfied with the finish, and removed it and started over – twice ! Not unusual for me.The bottle shown was made in Holland between 1800 and 1830, about 200 years ago.So, a vintage reproduction reproduced mostly with vintage tools. I intended to keep track of the time involved in this but lapsed at about 30 hours, and that was about halfway.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2021

Comments:

Japanese inspired cherry bench stool

Japanese inspired cherry bench stool Made of Cherry and mostly with hand tools this stool features splayed legs in two directions. The legs are also tapered with a hand plane and are angled mortise and tenon in two directions. The top(as is all parts) are made of 8/4 cherry with some fairly wild grain. As I mentioned it is made mostly with hand tools with the exception of ripping the leg and stretcher stock down. The concave top and stringer were made using a scrub plane and then cleaning it up with a spoke shave, card scraper and double strength glass as a scraper. Everything was hand burnished with plane shavings and then finished with boiled linseed oil and some wax. I figure about 100 hours went into making this and I did it without a proper work bench which was a tedious feat at best. There are a few flaws, but I'm not telling!

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2021

Woodworking in America: Larissa Huff

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

We're interviewing makers from all 50 states. Today we're featuring Larissa Huff, a maker and woodworking instructor from Pennsylvania. How did you get started woodworking? Who were your mentors? Like so many traditional craftspeople before me, I started woodworking by …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2021

Lucet

LucetA handmade Cedar Lucet I made several years ago and never got around to posting. They are becoming popular especially with Medieval reenactors. Cheers!Lucet Info:
A lucet is a tool used in cordmaking or braiding which is believed to date back to the Viking and Medieval periods when it was used to create cords that were used on clothing or to hang items from the belt. Lucet cord is square, strong, and slightly springy. It closely resembles a knitted I-cord or the cord produced on a knitting spool. Lucet cord is formed by a series of loop-like knots and therefore will not unravel if cut. Unlike other braiding techniques such as kumihimo, finger-loop braiding, or plaiting, where the threads are of a finite length, lucetted (or knitted) braids can be created without pre-measuring threads and so it is a technique suited for very long cords.Links:
Lucet Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucet
Lucet Viking Necklace/Scarf: http://radmegan.com/2011/09/viking-crafts-a-lucetted-necklacescarf.html

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2021

Garrett Wade 45th Anniversary Set Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Hand Tool Starter Kit Tool: 45th Anniversary Set of Three Woodworking Tools Buy Now Manufacturer: Garrett Wade MSRP: $253 For a long time, there were really only a couple options to get started using planes and other hand tools: …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2021

Butternut Comfort Bird

Butternut Comfort BirdIt's been a while since I last posted. Here is a Butternut comfort bird I hand-carved back in 2011. These birds are popular as they are quick and easy. This is my first Butternut piece and I loved carving it. Holds detail well and carves like basswood. A simple light coat of Deft sanding sealer and wax for a finish so it will be durable and soft in the hand. I hope to eventually make one in every wood species. Cheers!

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2021

Comments:

large bowl from maple segments

large bowl from maple segmentsripped the angles with table saw, cut the curves on the bandsaw. Getting the inside smooth was quite a task. Lot of scraping and a lot of sanding obviously. Measures 15” dia. x 9” h. The pattern on top rim was burned on but in hind sight I now wish I'd have just left it bare.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2021

Flying Fish Aquarium

Flying Fish AquariumView of front yard through my “aquarium”. Simple carvings in cedar. “Details on inside, .. shape from people approaching house don't (can't see) details. May add other objects, but simple appears to be more eye catching!

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2021

My newest !

My newest !Both 22 Inches across. MDF! Acrylic

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2021

How To Ebonize Wood

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Ebonizing can be a lot of fun and it's a great option to add to your offerings. Learn how to achieve a deep, rich black using household ingredients plus some powder from a South American evergreen.Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2021

Accurate and Easy Joint-depth Gauge

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

A straight mortise-and-tenon joint requires each tenon cheek to be flat, of consistent thickness and parallel to the body of the workpiece. If a cheek is twisted or angled relative to the faces of the workpiece, the result can be …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2021

Old Unisaw Mobile Base with Dust Collection

Old Unisaw Mobile Base with Dust CollectionSo I wanted to mobilize my table saw but had some design restrictions that I felt would limit me to build my own mobile base instead of purchasing. I just finished the project and man I am pretty happy with its end result so I thought I would share. The base only raised the top of the table by about 1/2 to be at 34-1/2 and then also incorporates dust collection. I didn't want to cut into the sheet metal of my 1951 Unisaw so I thought this would work pretty good. I used hardboard for the bottom and slanted it to the back to a 4 collection port. The way I was really able to keep the table height from increasing was removing the sub base that was used in older Unisaw's as seen in my one picture. If anyone wanted, I have some pdf's of all the parts that I modeled up in solidworks. The base was made of 2×6 and 2×4 material that I jointed to make flat and easier to make square.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2021

X-Carve Pro Review

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Compact CNC with Pro Features Tool: X-Carve Pro Buy Now Manufacturer: Inventables MSRP: $9, 995(4×2)  $11,995 (4×4) Inventables made a big splash with their affordable X-Carve and Easel software a few years back, putting CNC routing into the reach …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2021

Linens Cabinet

Linens CabinetMy wife asked me to build a linens cabinet for her, and this is what I came up with. Built with pine, 30-1/2 inches wide by 13-7/8 inches deep by 67-3/4 inches high. It has three spacious shelves on the top and two on the bottom, plus two roomy drawers. She already has it filled and wants me to make another one.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2021

Planting Trees

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

This piece originally appeared in the November 2020 issue of Popular Woodworking As I write this, I'm sitting in my basement (home office) in Minneapolis, a few days after my 35th birthday. It's 2020, and the world is dealing with …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2021

Tiny Twitch Baits with Flashabou

Tiny Twitch Baits with FlashabouOut in the shop today. Decided to make a sort of little twitch baitfor early in the season when Ice goes out in the spring here at the lake. It's about fifteen degrees here in Maine today.These are very small, but with a little detail. Hard to work on, carve, detail painting, etc,as they're about the size of my little finger. A little flash to them using some rubber skirt material.
They sink head down with their tail ends pointed up. The flashabou tries to float and waves in the current.Hoping to twitch them andentice (maybe annoy) a few nesting bass in the spring maybe.Anyway, made of white pine and painted with an air brush. I make everything but the hooks.. .and for this one I decided to use up some eyes I had around instead of making them. A video of the build.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2021

Comments:

Articulated Dragons - (John Hutchinson Design)

Articulated Dragons - (John Hutchinson Design)Many thanks to fellow LJ John Hutchinson for this design and for sharing it with fellow woodworkers. I've always thought these dragons were awesome since I first saw the feature in Woodworkers Journal but I didn't have the skill or equipment to tackle this. Now a few years later with a thickness planer, a better bandsaw, and a bit more experience I decided to try building one for my grandson Owen's 3rd birthday. When I started out I was going to build 2 pretty much the same with the bodies made from sapele that I had in the shop, the first being a prototype in case I made any mistakes. I soon realized that I needed more contrast so I added some cherry that I also had and was kind of on my way to making 3. I proceeded with one sapele, and one cherry, purpleheart head and tail, leopardwood and cocobolo wings, walnut hips, zebrawood wheels on one, butternut on the other. After completing the first one (sapele) I decided to add some roundovers on the cherry version that I completed and shipped off to Owen in time for his birthday.The third dragon took shape a couple weeks later when I was isolating in the basement (conveniently near my shop) after my wife contracted covid. It was a great distraction to keep my mind occupied during a very stressful time and I decided that this one would be our household 'protector dragon'. She recovered just fine and I never contracted it so I think it worked!By the way, I did everything on the bandsaw including the 'wing bones'. I used spray adhesive to laminate 6 layers of 1/8” cocobolo and cut all 6 at one time using a 1/8” blade and Carter stabilizer guide on a 14” bandsaw. Dropped the whole cut 'assembly' into a dish of mineral spirits and they slid right apart. Similar process for the 1/4” leopardwood wings but I did those as 2 sets of 3 layers each.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2021

Bottle openers

Bottle openersI was starting to accumulate quite a bit of small scrap material so I made a batch of bottle openers. Species used are walnut, maple, cherry, hickory, paduak, wenge, and purple heart. Sanded up to 120/220/320 grit using a diy sanding mop on the drill press. Drilled a recess for the insert using a 1-13/16 forstner bit and then a 1-1/8 forstner bit. Added a 3/16 hole w a light countersink. Coated with 5-6 coats satin polyurethane aerosol.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2021

It's a Bloody Cracked Pot

It's a Bloody Cracked PotThe park maintenance guy brought in this piece of a citrus tree ( lemon, orange or grapefruit? ) and asked me if it could be made into something. It was pretty ugly as you can see from the 4th photo..the pot was made from the bottom half of that branched trunk. It had 3 different shapes as it got whittled down but there was no getting away from the big cracks. I had to tape it up to bore out the inside. Instead of filling all the cracks with inlay, I painted them red..hence the blood pot! I'll try anything once. It is 6 1/2” high and 5 1/2” in diameter at the top.It is finished with semi gloss lacquer.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2021

Federal-style Inlay Bellflowers & Stringing

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Small pieces transform your work from austere to awesome. Signature features of Federal-style furniture include bellflowers and stringing that often adorn furniture legs, but are also found on table aprons and tambour doors. Bellflowers have regional characteristics. There are Baltimore …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2021

Mark-Free Drilling

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Sometimes drilling a hole in a finished piece of wood is unavoidable. I keep a pad of sticky notes nearby for this purpose. I put the sticky note roughly over the area where the hole is to go. Then I …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2021

The full set

The full setThe original “tray” I posted was a poor representation of the finished project, this picture is better and includes some of the other “artifacts” that were part of final wedding gift to my son and his bride. It includes salad tongs, coasters (lased with a monogram) I designed for the occasion, a “holder” for the coasters, two wine “cork” seals and a small bowl. I also created a jewelry box that incorporated embedded magnets that kept the lid and the two levels aligned and “attached” when closed.There were “fragments which I used for knife “scales” as well as an Oboe reed holder (also displayed in my postings) which were about all that remained from the original maple slab I had worked from.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2021

Workbench storage drawers

Workbench storage drawers Over the Christmas holiday, I started a shop cleanup and re-organization. One thing I really needed was more storage in general. The shelf under my workbench was a poorly utilized space and had turned into a catch-all. I decided to start there and build a slide-in cabinet with a set of drawers. The full build blog is here.The carcass is 3/4” birch ply, the drawer boxes are 1/2” birch ply – all from Home Depot. The front of the carcass is edged with some cherry.I did not want to use any handle hardware that I would bang my knees on, so I wanted a recessed pull. This mid-century credenza provided the inspiration for mine:The drawer fronts are mdf, edged and veneered with anigre, with a 1/2” radius cove on the backside of the arc pull.The front of the exposed drawer box is painted black to disguise the exposed crack between drawers. Quite effective.And the obligatory stair-step drawer shots:
Now I just need to fill them up. In an organized way. Somehow. :)

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2021

Family Crest

Family CrestThe design for this project was extracted from various generic family crests, whose design elements (in my opinion) were crude at best. I improved on the various elements, and created my own. I used a particularly beautiful piece of black walnut (~8” x 11”) which was very dense. It took a year to complete (I was working for a living at the time) and I consider it one of my better effort!

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2021

BOOT Evolution Continued!

BOOT Evolution Continued!It is minus 25 degrees outside, Covid is making me miserable so I crawled into my carving den and proceeded to finish the boot evolution
The wood is from my willow tree I chopped down some 5 years ago.
Pictures show process shown in the previous post – left, front . right, right, and rear.Finished with a shellac and the sole was stained with a mahogany stain.
Detailing was kept to a minimum.Enjoy!The Bootman (frozen!!!!)
Spring is 35 days away. Please hurry!!!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2021

Comments:

1920's Were good years for Ford especially their "C Cab Trucks"

1920's Were good years for Ford especially their "C Cab Trucks"While 2020 wasn't much of a year for many of us, 100 years earlier in 1920's it was for Ford especially their C Cab trucks.Towards the end of last year I was asked by a local shop to supply them with some hand made wooden toys.Now I seem to have specialized on trucks so made one for the shop which the owner purchased from me on the spot asking if I could make a couple for the shop to sell.I made two and these were posted in a previous post but then the fun began.The encouragement and support from folk on Lumberjocks is just so good, Jan, aka Dutchy emailed me suggesting I needed to draw up some plans for my designed “C Cab Truck”.At first I dismissed the suggestion but then rethought it and started another truck taking measurement and photos along the way. I then sent a “THANK YOU” note to Jan.Now the real story starts, as Jan kindly offered to draw up a set of plans for me using my photos and dimensions.He blow me away with a 3D drawing first, then over the past few months between he and myself, Jan refined the plans and WOW they are excellent.That's not the end of the story folks, Jan then offered to add my “C Cab Truck” plans to his website as a free downloadable playable toy…https://dutchypatterns.com/links/Please have a look at the link, download the plan and put a smile on a child's face.Thank you to my woodworking friend in The Netherlands, Jan.And if you need any assistance please drop me a note, I'd be more than happen to help.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2021

Shoji

Shoji 50×30 inches. Used left over redwood fencing and a piece of cedar decking (port orfard).170 joints. No glue.Most interesting joint is the outer frame. Those are mitered, haunched, through tenons secured with hardwood wedges.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2021

Comments:

Cheese board for a house divided

Cheese board for a house dividedThis is a serving board for a couple who are college sports fans, but went to different schools. On the one side, is the University of South Carolina. On the other side is the Ohio State University. The school stripes are made of wenge, maple, and bloodwood. Both of them work with animals at the National Zoo, so the main part of the board was made of zebrawood. It is finished with a food safe finish of mineral oil and bees wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2021

Comments:

Jewelry box for Valentines day.

Jewelry box for Valentines day.Made with flamed Maple and inlay of Cherry. Cherry also used for the feet. 11 1/2” wide x 6 11/2” deep x 7” tall. Top, sides, drawer fronts and dividers all 3/8” thick. Drawer sidesand drawer bottoms are 1/8” thick. The drawers are lined with dark green flocking. Small brass hinges for the top and a ball chain for the restraint.
Simple build, easy inlay using Bosch colt to cut inlay grooves with 1/16' Freud bit. Finish is wipe on poly, several coats and then waxed and buffed.
This is one of 4. One for wife, daughter, granddaughter, and daughter-in-law.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2021

Woodworker's Drill Press

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Laser Drill Press  Buy Now Manufacturer: Delta Delta's 18″ drill press is specifically designed for woodworking. The difference is in the table: It's a big improvement over the tables designed for metalworking on most drill presses. First off, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2021

Knockdown Computer Desk

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Ladders form the base of this knockdown desk simple steps to a higher education in woodworking. Editor's Note: Hunter was a high school senior when he completed this article for Popular Woodworking in 2009. I'm in the …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2021

Simple Reliable Sliding Dovetail Guide

Simple Reliable Sliding Dovetail GuideFor the past 20ish years I have challenged to make stuff with wood that does not require screws or nails. It's just a mental challenge I enjoy. Dovetails, mortise and tenons, and sliding dovetails are my friends in this challenge. The problem is, sliding dovetails are usually a pain to get right and they are not very forgiving if I make a mistake.That changed when it hit me that a simple guide rail cut with a dovetail bit at the exact same depth as the thickness of the guide(photo 1 and 2), will create a profile (housing) that exactly lines up with the wide part of the dovetail at ANY depth needed (see red lines in photo 3).
So I made two identical guide rails using the same bit that I make the dovetail with. The finished project here is the pair of guides. Each made from 1/4” thick plywood base and a plywood (thickness not critical) rail with a straight edge for the router to ride along.With a pair of these guides, the process of making the sliding dovetail is pretty simple and reliable.1. Use the dovetail bit to cut the long dovetail. It does not matter if the dovetail is tapered or the same width throughout. Can be done with handheld router or a router table.
2. (Photo 4) Position the first guide rail on the wood where you need to cut the dovetail housing and clamp it in place good. It must not move.
3. (photo 5) Position the dovetail board you made in step 1 firmly against the guide rail in the position that you need the board to end up.
4. (photo 5) Push the other guide rail firmly against the other side of the dovetail and clamp it firmly in place.
5. (photo 6) Slide the dovetail board the end being careful not to shift the guides. Then set your router to the depth of dovetail PLUS the thickness of the base of the guide. And run it along the left guide, then run it back along the right guide (this avoids a climbing cut)
The housing matches the dovetail exactly. If you set the depth right, it will be a perfect fit.Super simple game changer if you use sliding dovetails for shelves or battens.source: More photos and build description of simple sliding dovetail jig.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2021

Repairing Veneer on Antique Furniture

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Veneer is just thin wood - so don't be afraid of it. I love repairing old furniture - the older the better. I find repairing more challenging and satisfying than making new because someone else, or time and age, has …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2021

Quick Panel-finishing Setup

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Quick Panel-finishing Setup When making frame-and-panel doors, my panels are finished before installing them into their frames. The fact that the edges will be tucked into the frames allows for a quick, easy setup that permits finishing both faces right …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2021

Picky cypress TV stand.

Picky cypress TV stand.This little TV stand was built from repurposed cypress. The legs are 4X4 wall studs from a barn that my great grandfather built in the early 1920's. The top and shelf are from the same barn but must have been added as repairs later on, it's a little younger! The trim is from recently milled and cured cypress. The funny shape is because one end of the board I wanted to use had this screwy angle to it. I just matched the other side. There is no stain on this build! Only 3 coats of clear polyurethane. The older the wood was, the darker it became and it and just sucked up the clear coat! The difference in colors really popped! I was pleasantly surprised!
This stand is 50 wide at the top, 17 deep and 26 tall.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2021

Flicker marquetry

Flicker marquetryThis is one of my favorites. I think it took about 3 weeks. Size is about 17” x 19”. Ordinarily I would never think of staining walnut, but the color of the walnut I had just didn't work for the frame. I really like how it looked after I stained it with some walnut stain. The background is ash and after bookmark matching two pieces I thought it kind of looked like wings. The hickory I used for the tree had a knot in just the right place. It got kind of torn up while making the veneer so I had to do a little repair work on it.George

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2021

Knife box

Knife boxMy daughter is showing real interested in cooking so I got her some decent knives. To subtly remind her take them seriously, I made a box with her name. Since they are Japanese steel, I found the Japanese version of her name; nintai – Patience.The box is mahogany with a polycarbonate cover (more scratch resistant than acrylic). The knives I bought and cut a simple foam insert to hold them separate. It took three times to get the slots right. I still need to find my technique for my combo plows…

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2021

12 Glider

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Glide Miter Saw Buy Now Manufacturer: Bosch MSRP: $649 That's rightglider, not slider. This innovative miter saw from Bosch has the same huge capacity as a 12″ sliderwithout the rails. The blade assembly glides on a set of …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2021

Woodworking In America: Sophie Glenn

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

We're interviewing makers from all 50 states. Today we're featuring Sophie Glenn, a furniture maker and metalworker from Mississippi. How did you get started woodworking? Who were your mentors? I became very interested in furniture making about 10 years ago …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2021

Comments:

Spalted poplar wood - wood versus carver????

Spalted poplar wood - wood versus carver????A conundrum in the carving room! Plant against human! Who will win???Had this piece of spalted poplar found in my wood box. To burn or not to burn? To carve or not to carve?
Notice that one side has been left as the wood came out of the forest and the other side was mutilated by a power carver. Is co-existence the final result? Hope so.Enjoy.The confused Bootman!

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2021

Natural Edge Emerging Bowl

Natural Edge Emerging BowlThis is an emerging bowl turned from mesquite and with a mesquite stand.
The bowl is 2 3/8” OD and it is finished with clear semi gloss lacquer.The process I used is on this blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/Slovenian/blog/132129Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2021

Comments:

Bedroom dressing bench, shiplap headboard.

Bedroom dressing bench, shiplap headboard.The last two items to complete my lovely wife's special request of a new bedroom suite. The dressing bench, and shiplap head board.Dressing bench is made of straight grain SYP (southern yellow pine) painted and the top is cherry with Kona stain. This took a couple full days to complete, and my wife loves it.Headboard is just MDF frame with pine shiplap primed. The headboard is not particularly complicated I used preprint 1by 6 MDF and 1 by 3 MDF, with primed pine shiplap from Lowe's. It took 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2021

Vampire skull Hiking stick

Vampire skull Hiking stickI don't know ,it just came about.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2021

Roy Underhill: Still an Agent of Subversion

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

More than 30 years on TV hasn't softened his approach to the craft, tools or peopleBy Christopher SchwarzPages 14-19It's a typical day at The Woodwright's School in Pittsboro, N.C. Sunlight floods the storefront room through two enormous plate-glass windows. Six students carve ball-and-claw feet at their German workbenches while 1930s-era music tinkles through the air.Something crazy, radical and perhaps dangerous is about to happen.Roy Underhill makes the rounds at the benches. He checks on each student, cracks a few jokes and retires to his miter box to crosscut the material for the next day's class.A bell rings. The door to the school opens and in walk two women and a man. They stand at the entrance and look a tad bewildered, as if they accidentally stepped into a small flaw in the space-time continuum in this small Southern town.Classes: Find out what classes are coming up at The Woodwright's School.Video: Start your collection of "The Woodwright's Shop" with DVDs of the venerable PBS television show.Video: Watch episodes of "The Woodwright's Shop" online at our Roy Underhill streaming video channel.To Buy: "The Woodwright's Guide: Working Wood with Wedge & Edge," "The Woodwright's Apprentice: Twenty Favorite Projects from The Woodwright's Shop" and "The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop."Source

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2021

Better Winding Sticks

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Better Winding Sticks Winding sticks are very useful for gauging twist in a board, but they're difficult to read. My improved version of these time-tested helpers makes the twist stand out. I start with a pair of straight, flat 2…Source

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2021

Coffee Table For my daughter

Coffee Table For my daughterAnother nice chunk of maple I've been sitting on for quite a while. That first table I made kind of inspired this next one. My daughter loved it so what else could I do but merry Christmas it to her.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Feb-2021

Skew Block Plane

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Modern hand planes continue to be popular, and this low-angle block plane excels at trimming tenons, rabbets, and end grain. Tool: Skew Block Plane Buy Now Manufacturer: Veritas MSRP: $229 When you pick up the Veritas Skew Block Plane, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Feb-2021

Build a Wooden Arch Toy

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Since my early days in architecture school, I have been fascinated with masonry and stone arches. Arches are a wonder of both simplicity and complexity. How seemingly impossible is it that a group of stones, joined together oftentimes without any …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Feb-2021

Knot head

Knot head I call him knot head, but he gets mad at that. Makes me laugh. He sounds like two branches rubbing in a wind storm when he gets mad at me. “Master Wood Wizard” is what he wants me to call him, or “Master”. Saved him from a log pile on the Green River, here a bouts. He's hardly even grateful! Always critical, I like a good critique, but not into critics so much. Not that he gives bad advice though really. I mean he really does know “wood”. However he gives those wizard type advice where what he says is obscure and could be taken different ways. Conversations can be very frustrating. May as well be talking to myself.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Feb-2021

Cherry bowl with epoxy

Cherry bowl with epoxyCherry and epoxy bowl. Finished with hand rubbed polyurethane.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Feb-2021

MDF Drill Bit Cabinet (w/o a door) for French Cleats

MDF Drill Bit Cabinet (w/o a door) for French CleatsI finally have a place for my drill bits! I got tired of opening a drawer and pulling out a plastic container to find my bits.This houses my forstner bits, twist bits, spade bits, step bits, various countersinks, and some auger bits.The build: A simple box minus one face of MDF + some 2-1/2” x 1-1/2” pine with one face trimmed at ~30deg (I think it was 30. Hard to remember). The labels are just some tape because (a) I wanted to be able to read the black text ink which was impossible if I wrote directly on the pine and (b) easy to change it up if I decide to re-write in the future. A quick coat of poly just to provide a tad of protection.The twist bit shelf houses 2-3 of each size because I buy cheap twist bits in bulk and break them all the time. Now, when I snap a bit, this allows me to quickly get back to the work because I have another of that size in the cabinet. Later, after the flow is gone, I can go dig a replacement out of the drawer and put it in the cabinet.This was a very tedious build. The main idea was quick and easy to implement but drilling the necessary holes in (a) the right sizes and (b) the right spacing for all the bits was time consuming—especially for the twist bits. If I were to do it again, I think I'd drill the majority of the holes with one size that “fits most” and then only drill a special size hole for the much larger bits.Maybe, one day, I'll build a plexi or acrylic door for it but, for now, I wanted to move on to other projects.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Feb-2021

Puzzle Tray

Puzzle TrayWe like doing puzzles, but they tend to get knocked all over the place. This is a quickie prototype made from salvaged redwood from a swing set and a piece of hardboard. It has four trays for pieces. I left the ends of the board and the trays open so you can slide pieces off of them. If it works, I'll get smarter about the size and use nicer wood.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Feb-2021