January 2021

Pliers, Snips, & Vise-Grip Storage Solution for French Cleat

Pliers, Snips, & Vise-Grip Storage Solution for French CleatI'm pretty happy with this one, guys.I had some old unused shelving from my shop renovation. I cut it half, turned it on its side and violin! A made-to-order pliers, snips, and vise-grips storage solution.The build: I cut a backer board which spans two of the french cleats. I then simply aligned and affixed the modified shelves to the backer by screwing wooden “washer” pieces that span at least 3 of the 'rungs'. I wasn't sure if they'd be enough to hold the weight (and the final decision there is yet to be seen when/if I fill it up) but it's been doing perfectly so far!

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Jan-2021

Comments:

Power Tools (Drill, Driver, Jigsaw, Oscillating, Circ) + Accessories & Charging RackHere is the Hand Power Tools & Accessories rack that I built to hang on my french cleat wall.It holds my Drill, Driver, Jigsaw, Oscillating Tool, 4-1/2” Circular Saw and most of the various accessories that go with these tools (at least the ones that get used often). The chargers are mounted properly to allow for single handed on- and off-ingNothing too special about the build. I just googled for some examples and found one that fit my needs. If it were to build it over again, I would add more cubbies (once I realized that I could fit more than just the drill & driver on it, it filled up quickly) and I would make some of the cubbies larger than the others. I would also probably add a third shelf.

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Jan-2021

Bench Hammer

Bench HammerForged. Handle is Gabon Ebony. Approximately 14oz

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Jan-2021

Hanging Your Cordless Drills

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

While building this little station to organize my cordless-drill paraphernalia, I discovered that bicycle hooks make great drill holders. Mounting the station on the wall saves valuable benchtop space. Now I never have to hunt for my drills, chargers, and …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jan-2021

Milling Your Own Lumber

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Whether a hobby or a small business, it's a woodworker's dream job. As a craftsman, I've always enjoyed building stuff. But the pivotal point that led me into woodworking happened long before I stood at a table saw or picked …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jan-2021

Wooden Hangers

Wooden HangersThese are prototypes for making solid wood hangers. I keep having the plastic ones break and the wood ones we buy have the rod held in with a little pin nail and they come loose so I tried making a solid design.
These were just made from scraps of 1/2” mahogany and cherry that I salvaged from some raised panel doors.
They are 1/2” x8” x 15 1/2” and finished with semi gloss enamelCheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jan-2021

Comments:

Make a Leather Folding Chair.

Make a Leather Folding Chair.Simple joint add Leather.
Working process here

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jan-2021

Tree branch cars

Tree branch carsI was looking for something unusual and completely different for one of my grand kids and this is what I came up with

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jan-2021

Backside Out

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Backside Out After dabbling with woodworking for a couple of years, I finally got up the courage to build some kitchen cabinets, starting with an 8′ long upper unit. I composed a detailed drawing, cut all the pieces, and glued …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jan-2021

Comments:

Knives made with repurposed material

Knives made with repurposed materialKnives that I made. Front three made in 2021. Back right made Nov. 2001. Other two made a couple of years ago. Front two and the one on back left have blades custom made from a lawnmower blade. The Cherry handled one's blade was made from a broken pair of scissors. Fourth one back was made from a broken knife. All have oak handles. These are not fancy but were made for fun to use in the shop to scrape or pry when you don't want to use a good pocket knife or carving tool. Also made just for the fun of making them.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jan-2021

Epoxy River Vase Holder

Epoxy River Vase HolderAnother gift for the wife. I ended up making a few of these and gave them out as Christmas presents. They were well received, so I guess that means they're ok. It was my first epoxy river experiment. I made some narrower ones that I liked better, maybe 0.5” wider than the hole diameter. Didn't feel so bulky.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jan-2021

Shop Mallets

Shop MalletsI made a couple new jointer's mallets for my dad. Or is it joiner's mallet?

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jan-2021

Dado Stack Jig

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

For many years, I set up my dado stack directly on my table saw. So if my test cut was not correct, it required the re- moval of a portion of the set to add or remove shims, or swap …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jan-2021

Square Pedestal Box.

Square Pedestal Box.I saw one of these on Facebook so thought I would have a go.
The box is black walnut and the base and finial are Figured Mulga, (wattle)
I made the base first and then while turning the finial I broke about 1 inch off the tip. Crying.
It looks a bit stubby but it was the last of the piece so had to use it.
The box is where I keep all my money, LOL.
It's 6 inches square and stands 7.5 inches tall. Sanded to 400 and sprayed with clear gloss varnish.Thanks for looking and I hope you like it.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jan-2021

Natural edge Mulberry dish

Natural edge Mulberry dishThis was a piece of Mulberry recovered from the rubbish tip here in KalbarriIt measures 8 1/4 inches x 2 inches, sanded to 400 and sprayed with clear gloss varnish.Had a bit of fun keeping the bark edge attached.Thanks for looking and I hope you like it.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jan-2021

The Dremel 4000

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Tool: Dremel 4000 Buy Now Manufacturer: Dremel MSRP: $149 The Dremel 4000 was designed to be easier to use and longer lasting than previous models. It's recommended for carving, engraving, routing, grinding, sanding, cutting, cleaning and polishing. The tool …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jan-2021

Cabinet Experiment

Cabinet ExperimentI made this cabinet for myself as an experiment with things I don't normally do. First, I wanted a mid century look. Second, I wanted bold color (I NEVER paint!). And Third, I wanted to play around with texturing.The case is painted poplar. The doors are spalted ash. The legs are walnut and the drawer fronts are walnut burl veneer. I think I might add interesting door pulls.It's definitely different for me…. Ha!Any and all critique welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jan-2021

Torben Helshoj

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

From apprentice to craftsman to fine toolmaker, he's always had a passion for woodworking. Torben Helshoj's passion for woodworking started when he was a boy watching the skilled craftsmen in the boatyards of Denmark. But his path to becoming a …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jan-2021

(Almost) Effortless Dutchman Keys

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

I used to struggle making Dutchman keys (also known as butterflies) - but I love using them in my furniture. So, I came up with an idea that works well and makes the process completely painless. Because the pieces are …Source

posted at: 12:01am on 27-Jan-2021

Bibliophile's Bookcase

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

With simple lines and straightforward joinery, this project yields ample shelf space (and drawers to boot). This large case-on-case shelving unit is adapted from similar pieces I've seen in private libraries and in stately homes. I also dug up a …Source

posted at: 12:01am on 27-Jan-2021

Rocking Adirondack Chairs

Rocking Adirondack ChairsThe little woman in my life wanted a Rocking Adirondack Chair so I found a plan on Esty had the UPS store print the plane in a full 2' X 4' sheet and made two using a mix of different woods. Some PT and some framing lumber.They will be under cover and out of the weather so they should last a while. I made templates for all the parts so if I need to make a new part down the road I can knock them out with out any trouble.They are well balanced and easy to get out of. I put a strip of anti skid rubber that is used on stair treads on the bottom so if someone drag the chair it won't wear a flat spot on the bottom of the blades. I hope that works :)
Hope you like them!

posted at: 12:01am on 27-Jan-2021

Clipboard remake - Fun in the shop

Clipboard remake - Fun in the shopIt was time to throw away my clipboard. I bought these back in 1967. Over the years I've used it for everything in the shop. Cutting, painting, nailing, backer board, etc. took it's toll on it. I kept saying I need to get a new one. While cleaning up my scrap bin I came across many thin strips of different hardwoods and something clicked in my head. I decided to laminate the old one. Removing the clip first and sanding the board before I glued the strips on I then went on to spray the clip itself. I used hammered copper spray paint that fitted the deed. After glue dried I sanded it smooth and waited till the next day to let it acclimate. I sanded again to make sure none of the pieces moved then gave it a couple coats of danish oil rubbing it in with a piece of 100 grit used sandpaper. Came out smooth as a baby. Now I need to find a nice place to hang it instead of being buried in the cabinet.
Just as easy to make a clip board with all wood but this way everything got a new life.Fun in the shop.

posted at: 12:01am on 27-Jan-2021

Nice Curves, No Math

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Mechanical solutions for the formula-challenged woodworker. There was a time when I was fairly good at math - but that was back when personal and computer were two words you'd never expect to see together. A few decades later, …Source

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jan-2021

Scottish Gnome

Scottish GnomeIt seem that some of the members of the Gnome Lives Matter movement have been arrested, so they have retained the services of well known Scottish lawyer Aonghus MacLeod. He will be putting off his plans to attend the 2021 Highland Games to go to the aid of his brother Gnomes.
The wood used is Cherry and he stands about 6 1/4” tall.Bobby
Louisiana

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jan-2021

Arts And Crafts Bathroom Vanity Conversion

Arts And Crafts Bathroom Vanity Conversion Here's what the cabinets looked like before I converted them to the A & C style.I used the wood for the rails and stiles from the original kitchen cabinet doors I replaced in the A &C kitchen cabinets project I completed a while ago. With lumber prices so high it paid to recycle them.They also matched the face frame wood.
Sanding the face frames with an orbital sander.

Installing the side panels.I used the overlay draw fronts for the new inset draw fronts.
Sawing the rear top of the drawers at a 45 angle so they would fit the slides which were now set back behind the frame.
Installing the slides with a leveling jig I made.Staining the face frame.This is the third bathroom I've done and have one more to go. My knees and back will be glad when it's finished.Thanks for visiting.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jan-2021

Comments:

Spalted and white stripe maple jewelry box

Spalted and white stripe maple jewelry boxAll from one piece of wood with some bloodwood accents. This is my first with a drawer. The hardest part about this box were the Soss barrel hinges. One was off by what I swear is 1mm and the lid would bind. I put in and forcefully ripped out two sets of hinges. Then I elongated one hole just a smidge and got it to work with a third set. I'm glad I got a bag of 24 for $50 instead of $7 each at a store.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jan-2021

Fraternal Twins

Fraternal TwinsThese are actually just test or practice pieces … the two were constructed out of a single set of 3/4” rings, split in half on the bandsaw. Each is about 2-3/4” high and 3-1/2” in diameter. The rings are 50/50 maple and black walnut.The jig is based on one by ThePapa1947 ... here's a link to his YouTube video on the jig.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jan-2021

My Photo Box #summerofboxes

My Photo Box #summerofboxesI'm really getting into the swing of #summerofboxes now, this is the third cab off the ranks. This time around I've made a dovetailed box, using spotted gum and messmate, which is sized to store just over 1000, 64 photo prints.If you're interested, click the image to see the video on YT.
About 6 months ago, I made the decision to actually try and skill up in woodworking. I've been working wood out in the shop for over 10 years, but if I look back, I can't say that I've gotten much better with time. I decided to plan out the next 12 months, with the view to improving my skills as much as I can.The first few months were all about handcutting joints, and now I'm throwing box making into the mix.
I call this, my #SummerOfBoxes, because you have to have a cool hashtag these days. :DThis box is my third in the project, and is the favourite box of mine that I've built, really happy with how it turned out, and I'm excited to see how I will improve on the next one!Cheers,
Mario

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jan-2021

Workshop cabinet

Workshop cabinetWorkshop cabinet. 3/4” baltic birch case, pocket screwed and glue. Drawers 1/2” baltic birch, pocket screwed and glue. full extension drawer slides. Shellac and wipe on poly.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jan-2021

Microjig Convertable Horizontal And Vertical Clamping Table

Microjig Convertable Horizontal And Vertical Clamping TableHi All,
I have updated the table top of my Multi-function Workbench that I posted here a couple of years ago.
I used a good quality sheet of maple plywood, made a box without a bottom, and routed the dovetail grooves on top and on the sides. It slides down over the existing top.
Then, I wanted to be able to flip the table top vertical so that I could work on projects that needed to be clamped in that orientation.
I made and attached two red oak sliding arms at the bottom of the workbench that are slotted and held in place by bolts. They slide over and attach the bottom of the table to the workbench, keeping it good and solid.
With the casters locked down, the workbench doesn't move a bit! (It may look like the table will tip over, but I have two 45 pound barbell weights built into the bottom of the workbench and it is super stable! It takes just a few minutes to convert the table from horizontal to vertical.
I really like the Microjig system and I am planning on making more jigs using the dovetail clamps!Ryan

posted at: 5:08pm on 24-Jan-2021

A Facelift for A Translucent Arkansas Slip Stone

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

A few years ago I found a broken and grime-covered segment of a slip stone buried in the soil outside our front porch. Thrilled by this unexpected surprise, I immediately decided to restore the stone and incorporate it into my …Source

posted at: 5:08pm on 24-Jan-2021

Use a Countersink As a Depth Stop

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

If you have an adjustable countersink bit (like the ones from Insty-Bit), you can loosen the set screw and pull the collar off, then flip it around so the flat side is facing the work. Tighten it where needed …Source

posted at: 5:08pm on 24-Jan-2021

Joyners vs. Carpenters, 1631

(from Popularwoodworking.com)

Period woodworking trades in London were strictly regulated. I've temporarily put down my 516” joiner's mortising chisel in favor of a 2″ chisel for chopping carpenter's mortises. I'm timber framing a workshop, and while whomping away …Source

posted at: 5:08pm on 24-Jan-2021

Piano Board #2

Piano Board #2This is my second piano board which is based on the dimensions generously shared by Mr. Jeff Loken.Maple and Walnut, with shellac / French polish finishWarren

posted at: 5:08pm on 24-Jan-2021

Rainbow bank

Rainbow bankThe back story of the bank is a sad story of property crimes. Recently, my niece's home was burglarized. The Jack wagon crook smashed my great nephew's piggy bank for a whopping few dollars in change.So, I asked – what type of bank would the lad like? Rainbow was the answer.So, this is what I came up with. I am leaving it up to him to pick the colors and do the painting. A bit of ownership is always good.The front quarter is 1965 and the back quarter is 2016, thus making a birth year connection.PS
God bless the CNC machine, what a time saver. Sorry LBD I couldn't rotate the picture on my phone. No, the machine is Mounted on the wall Thanks for checking out my project.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2021

WOODEN BLACK HOLE

WOODEN BLACK HOLEhttps://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=100009755774614&attachment_id=3527233700726942&message_id=mid.%24cAAAAA_X9mjV9WUd9el3KAG-Cd3rX I made this toy for my grandchildren, but I found myself interest in playing with it as well. The rubber balls would swirl several times until enter the small hole and appear again in the prepared saucer.. Just for fun.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2021

Napa Wine Barrel Bistro Table

Napa Wine Barrel Bistro TableI have made dozens of candle holders from barrel staves, but this was my first venture into wine barrel furniture. Because of all the curves and coves of each stave this turned out to be one of my most challenging projects.For a flair I decided to have the staves come through the top. In my next version I will just fake the though tenons…The lower shelf turned out nice.The table is a little fancy for the spot…I built it for our staff bathroom at my school…as a teacher we always race around campus and run all our errands during the passing period…so with coffee mug, photocopies and roll sheets in hand you need a spot to set stuff down.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jan-2021

Tribute to family

Tribute to family As I was cleaning my shop today, I noticed these two projects. They are prominently displayed in my shop.The condiment table was made by my Pop, Rest In Peace, in 2005. He had just gotten started in wood working when he had to give it up due to medical issues.The miniature shelf display was made by my daughter in 1994.I certainly realize neither of these projects were produced with some of the skill I have seen on this site. To the contrary, they were both budding wood workers.their building process at the time was likely much like mine, which generally comes with an audible prayer before every cut – especially if I had to add or subtract fractions-The point is this. Regardless of your skill, confident and knowledgeable or unsure and prayerful we all can make a special something for someone. I love these projects in my shop.So, don't be discouraged just build.At the time of the builds, Pop would have been 82 and Jylian was about 8 – yes, she is still building with wood.Sorry if this was too sentimental, but just thought I would share my Pop's and Daughter's finished projects.Here's to family. May they always be on my mind.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2021

Urn

UrnI made this urn for a friend of my wife's with specific instructions that it had to have a rolling pin and golf club on top. The dark wood is walnut and the light wood is Birdseye maple the was 60 years old in 1954.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2021

Toilet paper holder

Toilet paper holderReally simple project but very handy. Holds up to 6 rolls.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jan-2021

Whimsy jewelry box

Whimsy jewelry boxThis is a whimsical piece made from repurposed chair backs ,with quilted maple cherry and walnut

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2021

Reflecting on love

Reflecting on loveI was looking for a piece of wood that would speak to me and present me with a heart. I found this piece of burl that had a large hump in it. I tried to imagine how to make a heart out of it and thought, if I could create a reflection, it will be my heart. It had a very large cavity in it and thought, what a perfect area to fill with epoxy and add some red to the piece. This piece can be a center piece for a table or comes with a French cleat (hanging mechanism) to mount this to a wall. The only real way to see the heart is to view it in the mirror. I love the symbolism of this.I believe this wood is burl cherry. It is large, 16×16 x 24”Yearly, I donate a piece of art to the Memphis Child Advocacy “Works of Heart” art auction. This year it is virtual, so anyone can bid on this. https://www.memphiscac.org/worksofheart/The auction is online from Feb 7-14 via the link above.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2021

Tool Cabinet - Wall mount

Tool Cabinet - Wall mountMy tiny shop needed better organization so built this cabinet to help. Its based on Shop Notes #122 but I reduced the size down to 5ft in length from the original plans. (even now it takes nearly the whole wall!!)Made from Popular 1×4's and 1×10's, plywood backing and some walnut knobs I turned. finished with a simple waterbased poly. Came out nicer than I expected and I am indeed pleased. Time to stock it up!!!

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jan-2021

Night Table

Night TableHi:Today I finally completed a night table for my wife. Have been working on it off and on for three weeks.Made with Red Oak top, drawer faces, sides and shelf and White Oak barrel staves. Drawer handles from Lee Valley Tools.36 wide and 22 deep, standing 29 tall.The table top reveals 1/4 sawn red oak boards, a full 1-1/2 thick.The lower shelf features a barrel stave stop across the back edge. Inner drawers made from Baltic birch.This turned out to be a rather heavy piece of furniture but nice and solid!Thank for looking :-)Bill

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2021

Coping Sled for the Router Table

Coping Sled for the Router TableI've got some projects coming up that'll require quite a bit of coping, and I've had poor results in the past, so I decided that I wanted a coping sled. I'm a cheap-as——uh, I'm selective with what I spend my money on and I decided that I wasn't interested in buying a sled at the asking prices at Woodcraft or Rockler, let alone Woodpeckers or Infinity.There's not a lot, material-wise, that goes in to the sled and I had much of it on hand.I started with a 14” x 8” piece of 3/4” ply for the base. The size was primarily determined by what felt secure and comfortable on my router table. A 2” wide piece of 3/4” was used for the fixed fence and another small piece was used for the sliding stop block. A dado was cut in to the base to accept the T-track. The T-track, t-nut and threaded knobs were left over from previous projects.For the guide, I had some .220” thick, clear acrylic sitting around, too. It's 18” wide, which gives me a 2” overhang on each side of the base. I cut it to 3.5” deep and set it overhang the business end of the base by 1.5”- I can't imagine that I'll need more coping depth than that, not in the foreseeable future, at least. I cut the corners of the near side of the sheet at 60 to make it less pokey.I picked up some 1-3/4” long 3/8”-16 coupling nuts to use as stand-offs for the acrylic runner/guide. 1” long hex head bolts are countersunk through the bottom of the base and another pair of bolts thread in to the top of the coupling nuts to hold the guide. I added an extra set of washers between the coupling nuts and acrylic sheet to shim the sheet up slightly so that it would run on the aluminum extrusion of my fence, rather than on the movable faces.The handles are comprised of countersunk 3” long 3/8-16 bolts, another set of 3/8” coupling nuts, some washers and rubbery threaded knobs.The workpiece clamp is a self-adjusting Armor clamp, medium-sized so that it can reach over the sacrificial piece. There is no clamp for the sacrificial block – I don't really have room for one and, with the side pressure from the sliding stop block, it hasn't moved in testing. I might add a strip of sandpaper to the face of the permanent fence as a little extra insurance to keep the sacrificial pieces in place, though.The only critical part of set-up was squaring the acrylic guide/runner to the fence on the base. To do this, I drilled one of the holes in the acrylic slightly over-sized to allow enough play to adjust by a few degrees. To set it square, I held my 12” combination square against the sled's base fence with the blade against the router fence face and then snugged the runner up to the router fence.In use, I'm really happy – setting up the pieces is easy, it holds them securely, it keeps my hands further away from the spinning blades of death and the acrylic guide lets me see the workpiece clearly while also providing some protection from flying stuff.For those interested in some of the parts and where to acquire them:- The .220” acrylic sheet was originally purchased at Menards for 20 bucks – took me forever to find this stuff up in the doors and windows department
- The 1-3/4” long coupling nuts were also purchased from Menards at about a buck each – they have them in various threadings, so get whatever matches the fasteners that you have on hand
- The Armor clamp was originally purchased at Woodcraft for $25, though less fancy ones (that don't auto adjust for workpiece height) can be purchased inexpensively on Amazon.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2021

Yin Yang centerpiece / serving boards

Yin Yang centerpiece / serving boardsThis project was requested by a friend that was looking for a centerpiece featuring the Yin Yang symbol with the holes being large enough to accommodate her candles in jars.This centerpiece can also be taken apart, and used as two charcuterie boards as well. That means the walnut and maple is finished with a food safe finish of mineral oil and bees wax.My big concern with this project was a line down the center true to the symbol with smooth curves that mate well together. I used a template cut using a laser cutter, and then a router with a flush trim bit to accomplish this. I created a blog to describe the process and challenges encountered: https://www.lumberjocks.com/BillGo/blog/132076

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jan-2021

Boys Dresser

Boys DresserI built this Hickory dresser for my boys.I'm building custom cabinets for a house with the same style of cabinets, so I threw this into the batch. It just came back from the finish shop, with a nice lacquer finish.Blum soft close undermount drawer slides.Baltic Birch drawersVery basic, but works well.

posted at: 12:01am on 20-Jan-2021

My first Foiled Perch lure

My first Foiled Perch lureI've been wanting to make a foiled lure for some time now. I'd never made one. Foiling is what it says. Putting foil, in this case household tin foil, on the sides of a lure to embed scale markings into it. It went pretty good for my first one. As usual, I make everything but the hooks. BTW, it's made of cedar. I had a deck board lying around.I've got a video of the build here. It's not too long.

posted at: 12:01am on 20-Jan-2021

Trapezoid console inspired by Bad Larry

Trapezoid console inspired by Bad LarryIf you check out Chris Salamone's bad Larry video – that's how I made this. I was totally unprepared to take this on, from a skills perspective, but the design kept me inspired and pulled me through – eventually. The center compartment fabric is a Fender amp cloth pattern from Mojotone. I need to do some cable management but otherwise this is ready to serve for many years.Finished with seal-a-cell to protect the gorgeous walnut colors, and 4 coats of arm r seal (flat).The original idea: Hide all the blinky stuff.

posted at: 12:01am on 20-Jan-2021

River Dining Table

River Dining TableMy first river table made from Horse Chestnut on the outside and Elm through the middle.

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Jan-2021

Dining Room Table

Dining Room Table Finally finished a table for our dining room. We needed something smaller than a standard table so I convinced my wife to let me give it a go. She wanted something about kitchen counter height so we could use the seats we had been using at the counter. The table is 3 feet square made of curly maple. Legs Re pine painted white, all mortise and tenon joints. I'm pleased with how solid it turned out. The hole in the center, I went thru a pile of ideas from some kind of inlay to acrylic pour with river rocks. We settled on having a custom stained glass made at a local shop that will fit in the hole. I'll update pictures when it's finished. I used a lite cherry stain on the maple, I showed my wife several finish choices, and the cherry is what she liked. Gloss poly on top.Chris

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Jan-2021

Comments:

Shop-made Air Filtration System (1500 cfm; ACH 20)

Shop-made Air Filtration System (1500 cfm; ACH 20)Supplies: Furnace blower (second hand); scrap ply
Consumables: Pre-Filters – Merv 5 (MPR 300) & MERV 7 (MPR 600); Filters – Merv 11 & 12 (MPR 1000 & 1500)Key parameters:Furnace blower: Rated for about 1500 cfm
Air changes per hour (2 car-garage; 8' ceiling): 20 (6 is the recommended minimum number)
Noise Level: About 80 dB at exit; 60 dB at workbench (NIOSH recommended exposure limit is below 85)
(Source: https://www.filtrete.ca/3M/en_CA/filtrete-ca/filtrete-science/mpr-vs-merv/#chart)An example for comparison with a commercial system: https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/tools/woodworking/dust-control/afs-1200-air-filtration?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PjjwNam7gIVvh-tBh1F0QkEEAYYAyABEgJfgPD_BwE

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Jan-2021

New Deck, Fence and Trim

New Deck, Fence and TrimHad a large selection of those scratchy type of evergreen bushes taking over the front of my house. They were planted 30 years ago and were terrible looking, most were eight to ten feet tall. After taking four large trailer loads to the landfill, I was left with the biggest selection of trash and other crap that ended up under them over the years. The space was 12 X 30 feet in size. Decided to put up a fence four feet out from the house for a work way and build a small deck for my wife. I used the better grade of cedar fencing, a lot of 8 foot 4X4 posts and a lot of 2X4s for the fence. All post and 2X wood was the treated type. The deck was made with 2X8s with all kinds of bracing under it. The top was the plastic that looked like wood. I then realized the original deck looked like crap now, so went ahead and put new trim around it also. Everything was then sprayed heavily with a wood sealer, It will eventually darken to match the deck. I used around 15 lbs of weatherproof screws of different sizes. I will now build planters and other things to border and fill in the open space. I will also have to plant grass in the area outside the given area to cover where the bushes killed it out. My wife has all kind of ideas for this area, lucky me. She will also be putting, ( meaning me ), various things on the fence. We have decided this will be my last large project I will do, am getting to old and my body with the new hip doesn't recover as quick anymore. The last picture is what it looked like right after taking the bushes out. I never thought of taking a picture with the bushes still there. Mel

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2021

Big Upgrade for a little Miter Gauge

Big Upgrade for a little Miter GaugeI used this weekend to add a much needed upgrade to my miter gauge that came with my Shipmaster contractor saw, it was very small, it fit loosely in saws miter slots and the bar was barely long enough to cut even small crosscuts. I finally decided it was the time to address these issues and make a miter gauge that was actually nice to use. I took the design from a fellow lumber jock, here's that project link https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/79118 (don't want to claim anyone ideas). I didn't have any 1/4” MDF like Bricofleur uses on his miter gauge, but I did have hardboard, I like the look anyway. After making the new fence 4×24” I routed both tracks 3” off the bottom to line up with the adapter piece, Both sides can then be used so after one becomes to rough I can flip it over, or use one side for dados and one for general crosscuts. I secured on the factory miter gauge. once the fence was complete I made some new miter bar runners from Oak and using a dado stack I removed enough material to make a sort of tenon to underneath and inside the existing miter bar to extend the bar out to 18” and epoxied both pieces together.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2021

Crown Jewel Maloof style rocker

Crown Jewel Maloof style rockerMaloof style rocking chair in Claro Walnut with my Crown Jewell glass.
You can see better pictures on my web site at kappelusa.comI have been making this style rocker for over 65 years shipping them all over the world and never had one returned.Free text to build this style rocker, just email me for your request. billkappelusa@gmail.com

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jan-2021

Bridge work (Non-dental)

Bridge work (Non-dental)After moving my in-laws on to my lot next door, I constructed a little bridge for them to cross the ditch to get to my house to drink coffee every afternoon. All treated lumber, deck and hand rails are from 1X6 pine, base is of 2X6 pine, all posts and bracing are 4X4. Balusters are 2X2 pine. Bridge is 6' wide and16' long. All posts are cemented and braces are bolted together with 1/2 threaded rods, flat washers, lock washers and nuts.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jan-2021

New Favorite Push block

New Favorite Push blockThis push block took a bit longer to complete than I would care to admit for a push block but it was definitely worth it. It is made out of 2 pieces of 3/4” ply laminated together. I got the design from a wood smith article (https://www.woodsmith.com/article/table-saw-push-block/), however after all the effort it took to make the thing, I decided to add on a replaceable sole out of 1/4” hard board that its attach with double face tape that after the bottom becomes too cut up it can be removed and replaced. The bolt on the back is ran through a threaded insert and allows the hardboard heel to be slid up and down to adjust for stock of varying thickness. I rounded over all the edges with my router and then finished it off with a course rasp to shape it a bit more comfortably.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jan-2021

Floating-Face Clock

Floating-Face ClockI built this clock for my dad's Christmas gift this year. The plans came from a Wood magazine issue, and since my dad gifted me the subscription, it seemed fitting to build this for him. I spent a good bit of time brainstorming wood species combinations for the frame and veneer. In the end, I couldn't come up with anything I liked more than what the plans suggested – walnut for the base and frame, with zebrawood veneer for the clock face.I've made plenty of picture frames, so the mitered frame was nothing new, but this was my first foray into veneer. Since the clock face was pretty small, this was a pretty easy introduction. The clock face is screwed to a piece of acrylic captured in the walnut frame, which is what makes the face look like it's floating. I used a simple wiping varnish and paste wax finish, and I'm really happy with how it came out.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jan-2021

Eddie Van Halen

Eddie Van HalenI cut this in 1” Oak when Eddie Van Halen died in Oct.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2021

A DISH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

A DISH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEARTTHIS HOLIDAY SEASON I FOUND A BEAUTIFUL SCRAP PIECE OF CHERRY. NEVER USING A FLAP DISC WHEEL ON A GRINDER I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY. WITH MULTIPLE GRITS AND PRACTICE THE PIECE CAME OUT NICE WITH A FACE CREATED IN THE GRAIN. NICE PIECE FOR THE KIDS JEWELRY ON DRESSER I THOUGHT. NINE HEARTS LATER ALL THE GIRLS IN THE FAMILY WERE DONE FOR CHRISTMAS. I FELT IT LOOKED EXCEPTIBLE ON THE BENCH, BUT WHEN THE SPRAY LACQUER HIT THAT WOOD IT LEAPED OFF THE TABLE.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2021

Stick dulcimers

Stick dulcimers Two stick dulcimers or sometimes called strum sticks it is fretted like a dulcimers but played like a guitar one has cherry neck with vertical grain fir and a quilted maple back the other is walnut neck with fir and lacewood back,both have cocobolo heads .they are a hoot to play no need to play cords every fret is a note there Finnish is gun stock oil .cheers mjon

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jan-2021

Whiskey Tea Box

Whiskey Tea BoxThis is a desktop cabinet to hold and present a Whiskey set including but not limited to a set of 4 glasses, chilling cubes, and other accessories.This is a prototype made of mostly 3/4 plywood material with a 1/2 plywood back and front faces for strength and mounting of hardware.See the build blog here:

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2021

Valentine's Ammo Box

Valentine's Ammo BoxSometimes your significant other wants more the chocolate. The heart ammo box was built from bloodwood with cutouts for 60 spaced bullets along the inside.I used graph paper and Tinkercad to make the pattern and plan the spacing of the bullets and refine the shape. Once that was complete, I built the blank for the base out of glued-up staves to get a little more depth and decrease the wood's movement over time. The top was built from two matched sections of the board to show the grain, with Festool dominoes to reinforce the joint.
Two more layers are in the middle, the inner one being a 1” riser which separates the lid from the base. An outer one sits on the outside and serves as molding to orient the top and bottom together.
The base is fitted with three large wood buttons for feet to keep the base from being scratched.
Finish is with gloss sprayed polyurethane to preserve the color and grain of the wood.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2021

Yet Another Cheap Workbench

Yet Another Cheap WorkbenchI needed a good, solid workbench so I decided to build one. I read The Workbench Design Book and Scott Landis' The Workbench Book, looked at a bunch of websites and watched a ton of YouTube videos. I wanted something solid, CHEAP, and utilitarian. I decided to go with a split-top (because I have a bad back and didn't want to waggle around a whole top), Roubo-inspired (I didn't want to do the fancy dovetails) bench.A lot has been said about the choice of wood for a bench, with many people preferring something like maple. Hardwood seemed too expensive so I went with Douglas fir (since I'm in Southern California and couldn't find Southern Yellow Pine in any quantity); it's solid and way cheaper than the alternatives. Unfortunately, the 4×4s and 4×6s for the legs and stretchers came from Lowes so the wood started out twisted and got worse while it sat in my shop. There were lots of checks in the wood (so lots of bow-tie splines) and some sap that I addressed with a heat gun. Lowes is a mistake I'll not make, again (but I'm still happy with the choice of Doug fir).The next decision was the construction of the top. I looked at a lot of options, including gluing up 2×4s and using a router sled to level it. It occurred to me that Glu-Lam beams might give me a ready-made top at an economical price. This ended up being a pretty good choice (though, I had to add a coupe bow-tie splines to stop a check). They're not pretty but they do the job.I used standard furniture construction techniques to assemble the bench. The leg and stretcher tenons were cut with a dado set on the table saw and the corresponding mortises required a Forstner bit and chisel. I mortised out the spots for the vises with a circular saw and finished them up with a chisel as well. A piece of oak scrap went into the sliding dead man. Finish the whole thing off with a chunk of rain gutter for a tool tray (yeah, I know, but it works) and a couple Gramercy holdfasts, and I've got a workbench that I'm really happy with.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jan-2021

Comments:

Quick and easy alcove desktop

Quick and easy alcove desktopQuick and easy alcove “desk” for my neighbors.- Cherry plywood finished with Danish Oil (I think, maybe Walnut Danish oil)
- Cherry ply strip underneath to give a more substantial look as well as hide the pine support cleats
- Simple piece of cherry trim to hide the plywood edge

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2021

Maple wood tray

Maple wood trayBirdseye Maple wood tray, carved and routered from slab that was at least 30 years old. Used clear epoxy to fill in voids, and buffed these to glass clarity. Subsequent use of maple I created coasters, which were lased by a Woodcraft employee with a monogram which I created,

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2021

Magazine Table

Magazine TableThis is a hallway magazine table that I made from slab Claro. I wanted to go through the whole process of milling the lumber from a slab (a first for me!). It was a great learning experience, but I'll probably stick to S2S in the future! Traditional M&T joinery, and some Craftsman/Mission styling that my wife likes so much. Finished with some Watco Dark Walnut for a consistent color, a seal coat of ruby shellac, then a gel stain for some pop and four coats of sprayed lacquer and buffed out. Now my wife puts shoes on it…oh well, I'm still happy with it!

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jan-2021

Bandsaw Reindeer fun

Bandsaw Reindeer funBandsaw Reindeer. About 5 inches high from various woods.
This was a fun project. Fairly quick and easy with gratifying results.I've watched Alex Snodgrass do this every time I go to any woodworking show, and I don't know how many times on Youtube. Figured it was about time I tried it…I looked at Matthew Wandel's pattern, but didn't want to wake anyone up by printing the pattern, so I sketched one out using elements from Wandel and Snodgrass styles. I've cut a few of these now and have more of an idea what I want it to look like. I plan to make an aluminum template so I can just trace it like I do the comfort birds.Until then, I'm just sketching it quick on the wood. I'm not yet up to Snodgrass 45 second freehand skill level yet. And I'm not keen on cutting off a finger…Various woods involved here. Paulownia, Ash, Chinaberry, Walnut, Cherry. So far the Chinaberry is my favorite.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2021

Cherry Dining Table

Cherry Dining TableThe top of this dining table is all common cherry. I arranged the boards so there wouldn't be any grain matching so that the uniqueness of each board would be showcased. Cracks and knots are filled with black epoxy, clear epoxy and black CA glue. Now I have to start designing chairs. I coated it with Arm R Seal. I found this design while watching Ishitani Furniture on Youtube.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2021

Tote

Tote While waiting for a tote to arrive for my newly acquired Stanley 7, I decided to make one. I got a little creative and dug some wood out of the scrap bin. I used canarywood, hard maple and bloodwood. It's not perfect, but for a first attempt I'm pleased with it.Chris

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jan-2021

KREG K5 POCKET HOLE JIG STATION

KREG K5 POCKET HOLE JIG STATIONMade from an old table that had solid wood legs and it's table top was particle board with veneer on top and bottom. Something to do.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2021

End tables a much need

End tables a much needDarling wife needed a couple new simple end tables for the Florida room so I thought I'd knock these out in a couple weekends before i start tackling a long awaited dresser and bed side tables. Wanted to test a tapering jig for the legs and gel stain and poly over poplar tops. She wanted something simple and not fancy that could be abused and no concerns if something is spilled.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2021

Storage for JessEm Dowel Jig

Storage for JessEm Dowel JigI owe a debt to Ron Stewart for goading me to get at this project with his post. His implementation is rather different than mine, but his post reminded me to get to this task. Ron also linked to earlier posts by Bob Penoyer and Manuka. By tracing back through those projects, you can find four quite different implementations.I made this box as a first attempt at box joints back when I bought an Incra box joint jig five or six years ago. At some point, I threw the JessEm jig into the box to corral the many parts, but for a couple years now, they've just been rattling around in there.While I liked Ron's box, the box I was working with was shallower than his, so I had to come up with a single-layer solution. I began with laying a couple scraps of 3/4” cherry ply as a base and then inlaid the unused inserts in the ply. The jig itself rests in a groove on one end and on a dowel on the other. The depth is such that with the lid closed, the jig cannot shake loose from its moorings; the lid holds the jig in place.Note: one potential downside of my design is that the distance is fixed between the groove the jig rests in and the dowel that keeps it level, so the jig must always be set to the same depth. Not a huge deal for me, but others might find that an annoyance.I wanted to make sure that the bits didn't shake loose from their cradles either, so I fashioned the toggles.The 3/4” bit and the sleeve stored below it aren't part of the jig, but this seemed like the place to store them.As always, questions, constructive criticism, and comments are welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jan-2021

Comments:

Maple and black walnut music stand

Maple and black walnut music standThis is a stand made from maple burl ,the spine on the back reinforcement gives it plenty of strength and serves to attach the angel adjustment.Finnish's with linseed oil and beeswax

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2021

MULTI AXIS TURNING, A BLURRY EXPERIENCE, VIDEO

MULTI AXIS TURNING, A BLURRY EXPERIENCE, VIDEOLast fall I had been looking at some You Tube video's and discovered multi Axis turning, Thought it was interesting and spent a week doing some examples, learned allot and would like to pass it on to you, I know allot of you do not do lathwork but may find it interesting. Basically you offset the tailstock and head stock point in an organized manner. Usually 3 points, 120 degrees apart. numbering 1,2,3. both ends in the same plane, By using a 1 with a 2, you get a 120 degree twist. where the difficulty is you can't see the wood you are cutting and the profile on all three sides has to be the same. Mounted 3 times. I have done a 4 sided one with a 90 degree twist.each time it looks like this and doesn't get any clearerThe only time you see what it looks like is when you turn it off, which happens allot. the video explains how to get the sides all the same.The important thing is to stay well protected, turning at around 2000 rpm I lost a few examples, that can be avoided to some extent, info in the video. I reduced the size of this picture below 2 mp and it still orients the wrong way, anyway it catches your eye and that is important.This was just a experiment, top and bottom the same, small in the middle,usually short on the bottom and tall on the top. Makes for some striking wood turnings, Most that I have done is just with plain wood, will try some with a more varied grain, light and shadows play along with the curves.These projects can be used for a variety of things, candle holders, very nice drinking cups, so nice to hold, seal the inside with crazy glue.other things.The videos links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMkKOpwBgA&t=435s introduction and layout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3-oDF5qik&t=369s sides 1 an 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UgERt7L7_A 3rd side to completed projectAlso check out Barbra Dee videos, she has done this for years.Thanks for looking and hope this may have sparked some interest.
comments appreciated… HAPPY NEW YEAR…

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2021

Saddle barstools

Saddle barstoolsNot a recent build, but probably the one I'm most proud of. Walnut with cherry legs. Designed using Coreldraw.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jan-2021

Pen and Pencil Box

Pen and Pencil BoxA revision of a pencil sharpener ( http://smortegav.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-improved-and-safer-pencil-sharpener.html for the backstory) was what got me started on this little project.
The box is 8 inches square and 2 inches deep. I was going to make it with a hinge and latch; just when I thought pencil boxes were a thing of the past, when getting ready to post this project, I saw another pencil box with the same latch I was going to use- see last photo. Like the other poster, I used scraps and forewent a hinge and latch construction to avoid having to shop or order anything. I also wanted something that could fit in a toolbox when traveling and serve as a holder on a desk/work top. More at this link: http://smortegav.blogspot.com/2021/01/pencil-and-pen-box.html

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2021

SALT & PEPPER GRINDERS

SALT & PEPPER GRINDERS Last week, I posted pictures of the stuff I did on Christmas vacation. People asked for detailed shots of the grinders. Here they are, I keep them mostly straight lines since there is so much character in the teak I use. I do 2 lines for the salt and 3 for the pepper. I cut a recess in the top that the bottom fits into.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2021

Locomotive Parts

Locomotive PartsLove to see some more photos of this gorgeous loco, especially of the detailing, thank you.- crowieSince I m still new to this site, I m not sure how to add pictures so, I will start a new tread.GaryThe train was modeled after the Virginia Truckee by a member of the Vectric Forum, which he allowed the Rhino file to be copied. His file needed to be enhanced to give it depth so it could be modeled and cut out of wood. I spent several more hours redoing it and segregating the parts so they could be imported into Aspire. Some parts were done on the rotary, some double-sided and some like the cow catcher was just a 2D cut.Although I only showed a hand-full of pictures, there was a lot of other parts. The whole process took me a couple of weeks to accomplished.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jan-2021

First Cutting Boards

First Cutting BoardsThis year's Christmas gifts were cutting boards. Needed something simple since I was in the middle of another big project and had a big set back when my whole family came down with Covid. These still took more effort than I was originally thinking (as usual), but all-in-all a good project.They're made out of hard maple boards and cherry scraps I had on hand. Ripped everything down, glued with Titebond 3, planed flat in my new planer (couldn't have finished these in time without it) and trued up the ends on the table saw. I made a jig for the juice groove – just some fences the boards could drop down into so I could route by hand. Used a 1/2” core cove bit for that, and a 1” core cove bit for the hand holds. The latter were done on the router table. It took some care making sure the router stayed against the fence and the boards stayed against my router table fence for straight lines. Then lots of sanding up to 220. I wrapped sandpaper around a 3/8” dowel for the grooves.Sanding the burn marks out of the handles was tough. The only way I found to actually get it all was with a power sander of sorts. I tried finding an abrasive ball, but nothing in stock locally. I ended up using a dremel rotary tool abrasive buffing wheel for the job. It worked, but they only lasted a few boards and ended up being a bit costly. The finest didn't do anything but polish, so I was stuck with the coarser one. I'll try something else next time. Here's what I used: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-EZ-Lock-15-16-in-Rotary-Tool-180-and-280-Grit-Finishing-Abrasive-Buffs-2-Pack-511E/100484371The brand was a gift to me, and I don't know much about it other than it came on a boat from China. I suspected it would have been harder to use than it actually is. Just heat it up to a specific temperature of pretty hot, and press on your workpiece until it smokes and you're good! Haha.Finish is Odies Oil. I've come to really like this stuff on this project! We'll see if it lasts any longer than mineral oil on the boards. Supposedly it cures, so fingers crossed.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jan-2021

Cedar Box, aka Lord of the Rings

Cedar Box, aka Lord of the Ringsusing up a few scraps of Aromatic Red Cedar, and some Ash….through dovetails on the corners. Wood is 1/4” thick.Brass hardware. Locking rings are the SMALLEST I could find at Lowes. Bottom panel is glued to slips, instead of grooves into the sides…
Mitered corners, wood is 3/8” x 1/4” Ash. Dividers are also ash…notched …
Box stands 6-1/4” tall, and is 11” by 6-1/2”....Just a couple coats of Clear Gloss Poly….Thanks for looking in(but what is it for?.....)
Whatever you wish to load up in there…

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jan-2021

Table and Chairs

Table and ChairsCommissioned by a client as a wedding gift for Daughter.
Solid Red oak. Finished with minwax medium walnut stain and 50/50 wipe on poly.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2021

Comments:

Giant split back jitterbug frog lure

Giant split back jitterbug frog lureThis lure is 27” long an weighs about 20 lbs. Its made from basswood. The Bill is 1/16” thick aluminum that i made and I also made the hook hanger out of aluminum. The hooks are real hooks made by Mustad, they are 20/0 hooks. The lure was airbrushed and it has 23 coats of lacquer. I am making another jitterbug lure and i have been doing a step by step blog as i make it.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2021

Christmas present

Christmas presentMy daughter sneaked one of my old saws out of my shop and made this present for me. I love it. She used he cricket to make the letters. good use of an old saw.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jan-2021

Queen bed inspired by Russell Hall design

Queen bed inspired by Russell Hall designThis bed was inspired by an article by Russell Hall in Taunton's Home Furniture magazine (Nov 1997 issue) – see 1st picture. I liked the creative use of the live edge slab and the curved asian styling.The head board and foot board feature consecutive slices made from a walnut slab. I had to cut the slab in half horizontally, re-saw the two pieces then glue them back together (glue line is nearly invisible).Frame pieces are made from alder. Joinery is mostly floating tenons (Dominos). I used Rockler's bed rail connection system that allows invisible, strong connection of the side rails.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2021

French Cleat Holder for Dedusting Remote Controls

French Cleat Holder for Dedusting Remote ControlsI wanted to make a holder for both a new SuperMax (Laguna) air filtration unit, as well as a holder for the controller to the pre-existing cyclone dedusting system that takes care of my tools.The Supermax's remote control needs to have a line of sight (IR) to control the unit, whereas the cyclone dedusting is radio controlled and therefore can be left inside the French Cleat holder when turning the unit on/off. I just made a hole in the front and rounded it over with a router so I can depress the button and see the red led light.At first I was going to have the two remotes arranged side by side, but then I decided to stack the two units on top of each other to decrease the space used on the French Cleat. I finished the remote holder with a coat of Danish Oil.I wanted to get this project done quickly before I lost thetwo remotes forever in a pile of debris. The pics show the end result and I hope this post is a usefulidea for someone looking to do something similar for their remotes.I can't give a review on the SuperMax as I haven't used it too much, but so far I think it's working well, it's pretty quiet and can move the air in the shop at 3 different speeds.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2021

Dumped and Damaged Classical Guitar Restoration

Dumped and Damaged Classical Guitar RestorationHi All,
Firstly apologies for not being so involved lately.
As most know I sold my place and along with it went the upstairs woodshop. Some also know that I have been learning to play Guitar.So, this Guitar I found in a furniture rubbish pile on the street in Hong Kong, the Guitar was within seconds of being loaded into a Furniture Rubbish removal truck.I, fortunately, rescued it and took it home for refurbishment.The most significant things about this project are:A) I found this Guitar, I did not buy it, It was someone elses RubbishB) I had to set up a makeshift Luthiers workshop in my bedroom on the 10th floor Hong Kong flatC) With the back of the guitar delamination I developed an idea to connect a straw to a syringe so I could inject glue down deep into the back of the guitar without making the delamination worse.(see pics)I made a you tube video on the restoration, if you have a spare three minutes and are interested click here for the YouTube link.The youtube video link also here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4WND7YJdUAnd below some comparison shots of before and after.Cheers
Anthony

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jan-2021

2020 Ornament

2020 Ornament2020 Ornament both plain and with name.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2021

Coat Tree

Coat TreeIn an attempt to keep our house a little less cluttered when we have company, I made this coat tree for the front door area. I finally got around to it after about a year. In the meantime, my wife had purchased a bamboo (Ikea type) coat tree that has been in service.This is the usual woods for me, that match the rest of my furniture: hickory and walnut.
Finish is Danish oil, followed by 3 coats of wiped-on poly.The top hooks are cast iron that I purchased on the internet, I can't remember where now. The bottom hooks are hand forged by a fellow that sells them on Ebay.I'm really happy with how it all turned out. I drew up a plan, inspired by some of the items that I liked about other coat trees. It was fun dreaming it up, and it actually turned out just like the picture I drew.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2021

Housewarming Gift - lettering on wood

Housewarming Gift - lettering on woodNot a very complex project from a woodworking point of view, a housewarming gift for my son as he moves into his new home. I thought it would be interesting for what I learned about laying out and applying lettering on wood.The house is cut from pine and painted to look like the house they lived in when they were first married. As you can see I am challenged as a painter. I was hoping to at least convey a (albiet cartoonish) representation of that house, including the dogs.When it came to the lettering, I was experimenting with fonts, layout, spacing, size, etc. My painting ability for the letters was even worse than the house. Then I had an idea to use the Cricut that one of my kids has. I did not want to use vinyl letters on the wood, I wanted the letters painted on. I started using the Cricut to create templates to experiment with layout, and spacing, but soon thought to use the vinyl in a negative way, as a stencil. I chose to paint the letters on, so I could embellish them later. This stencil approach could also be used for other shapes and other media as well.I tried several approaches, and ended up putting down two coats of polyurethane to start, then put on the vinyl stencil, and the paint for the lettering. I tried a few practice pieces directly on the wood, and found that the paint bled under the stencil. Putting the polyurethane down first, gave me much cleaner lines.I used spray paint inside the lettering. I just could not get clean and even application when I tried using a brush. I also found that I needed to let the paint set for about 5min before removing the stencil. If I removed it too soon, it was too messy, and if I waited till it tried, the bond of the paint to the vinyl was stronger than the bond to the wood. This caused it to tear up the edges and leave a saw-tooth pattern. If I pulled the stencil up when it had set up on the wood, but not dried against the vinyl yet, I got that nice clean lines.Anyway, I think this approach might be helpful for laying out nay type of graphic pattern on wood, using whatever medium to leave the graphic behind. Thanks for reading.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jan-2021

Orchid Gift Box

Orchid Gift BoxOrchid Gift BoxBox number 34 in my recent box series. This is another commissioned piece.This box is the result of a client selecting certain features from my previous builds and asking for a design that brings those features together. The wood selection includes walnut, ash, a tiny bit of leopardwood and the tray is built from poplar. The top ingot/inlay is a piece of quilted maple burl.
Inlays on the lid and base are walnut and leopardwood. I have installed a lid stop for the 105 degree cant for the open lid. I used inch dowel that accommodates a larger sized cove cut into the rails and stiles of the lid.
I used machines to mill the wood and to cut the angles and dimensions and used a router to get the basic form of the coves for the legs and lid. A scrollsaw was used to cut the orchid parts. The hand cut splines on the lid are walnut. There was not as much hand sanding on this piece because I was able to use various scrapers including the set from Flextools which I really like and recommend.I used the Tage Frid method for the double dovetails which were hand cut using a Dozuki saw and a Japanese dovetail chisel. The double dovetail part/kerf was created using a saw I've recently made and a Japanese float with a 1/8 inch kerf. The dovetails were then subtly rounded with rasps and files.The orchid is made from cedar and yellow pine and sits in a routed and chiseled pocket in the walnut base.
The jewelry box has one tray that rests on posts that create a lower space. The interior of the box and tray are cork and fabric lined and the tray is also re-enforced with splines.
Dimensions are as follows…
Outside dimensions of the Orchid Gift Box are 9 inches wide by 7 inches deep and 7 inches tall. The actual box (without lid and feet) measures 7 inches long by 5 inches wide and 5 inches deep.
The jewelry tray is 6 inches long by 4 inches wide and 2 1/2 deep.Finish is an oil based fruitwood stain and a wipe on mixture of oil based poly and mineral spirits buffed out with a brown paper bag. I used Trewax brand paste wax for the matte sheen that it can be buffed out to reveal.Happy & Healthy 2021!!!
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Jon

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2021

Sliding Dovetail Template

Sliding Dovetail TemplateMy first woodworking project in over 10 years (the construction in my shop does not count) and definitely since my accident almost seven years ago. Between my old eyes that need better magnifiers and serious lack of practice and hand eye coordination it turned out ok. It is a 1:7 dovetail template that slides for doing half blind or full blind dovetails. This was done entirely with hand tools only.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2021

Wood working vacation

Wood working vacation I spent Christmas vacation in the wood shop, I still have to put the mechanicals in the salt and pepper grinders. The wood is laminated teak.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jan-2021

Desk Cup Holders - Mesquite

Desk Cup Holders - MesquiteI've used raw wood coasters for years – they work better than anything else I've tried because the raw wood absorbs the condensation off the drink, and your drink never drips (or sticks to the coaster) when you lift it. Then the absorbed moisture evaporates out of the coaster between drinks.My son wanted a couple nicer looking coasters (he calls them cup holders), so I made these out of Mesquite. Raw unfinished inside, with a light wipe on poly satin finish on the exterior.Made them bandsaw box style – cut the bottom 1/4” off the blank, cut a 3” hole through the blank with a circle cutter, then glued the bottom back on.Last picture shows my shop coasters.

posted at: 12:01am on 04-Jan-2021

Comments:

Butterfly bookmark with stone inlay

Butterfly bookmark with stone inlayI wanted to play around with crushed stone inlay so I made this bookmark.

posted at: 12:01am on 04-Jan-2021

Comments:

Rustic nightstand for my lovely wife

Rustic nightstand for my lovely wifeMy lovely wife mentioned we needed new nightstands now that the mater bedroom has been freshly painted, she surprised me with a picture of the rustic style she wanted.It's made of Southern yellow pine, and the top is 5/4 cherry. It was a hit with my wife, so mission accomplished.

posted at: 12:01am on 04-Jan-2021

(Anna White) Christmas Tree Shelf

(Anna White) Christmas Tree ShelfIt's been a long time since I've posted here! I've gotten out of the habit of documenting my projects, however I have a few that I can share….This is a Christmas tree shelf I made recently. The plans came from Anna White. It's made out of poplar (or clear pine – I can't remember), and stained to have a rustic appearance.I went a little above and beyond what the plans called for, which definitely added to the complexity. All of the joints are dowelled and glued. It was some good practice, but really time consuming.I ended up giving this away as a prize for the winner of a Winter 5K Race

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2021

Fish for the Holidays

Fish for the HolidaysWhen LJ Andy posted his Fishy project, I knew someday I had to make a school of them. I made mine out of sapele and hard maple. I liked the way the vertical bands run in sapele and they really came to life when rubbed out with Tried and True -linseed oil with beeswax finish. Instead of running stopped dados in the sapele, I cut, ran through dados and glued them back together. That saved a lot of chiseling. I used a plug cutter for the eyes and decided to offset the pupil for a fun look. This was a great project that I enjoyed building. They made a couple of nice gifts for the holidays.Thanks for looking and I wish everyone on LJs a wonderful New Year!

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2021

Birch toy box

Birch toy box Birch toy box that I built for my youngest grandson.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jan-2021

Recipe Boxes for my granddaughters

Recipe Boxes for my granddaughtersLast Christmas I made a recipe box for my daughter. I guess she liked it because this year she asked for a recipe box for each of her daughters. How can you say no?The boxes have lids milled from a Chestnut tree harvested from my yard that the older girls used to climb. Two of the boxes are milled from some curly maple firewood that my Dad saved about sixty years ago. One of the boxes is made entirely from my Chestnut tree. Two of the boxes have grain matched at all four corners, one I messed up and the grain only matches at three corners. I hope most people won't notice that unless I point it out… The splines are some walnut that was in a scrap box. They are finished with lacquer from a rattle-can and sanded to 1000 grit before polishing with wax. They feel very nice to the touch.The boxes hold 4×6 recipe cards that I printed on cardstock that was cut to size at Office Depot. I made some dividers to separate the main dishes from the desserts. The hinges are from Amazon and are inexpensive ones that should be strong enough to last for years, and I have spares if they don't. I like the way they mortised into the walls of the lids and boxes, they fit pretty well. I will probably use them again for small boxes.These were an enjoyable project I was able to complete. If I were trying to sell them to a stranger I think I would die an early death from the stress. You guys that market your projects amaze me with your level of perfection and complexity of designs. Thanks for letting me share mine here.

posted at: 12:01am on 02-Jan-2021

Large (for me) Walnut Dining/Game table

Large (for me) Walnut Dining/Game tableI always say I'm gonna do a blog or video but just never get around to it. Nothing has changed. No blog or video. The best I can do is a post with pictures and a little back-story with links. As always, the input along the way I got here at lj's was invaluable.Made this table for a family friend who wanted a dining room table for his new house that was at least 44”x60” so that it could be utilized as a gaming table for War Hammer that utilizes a 44×60 mat as the playing surface. This table is 46×72.Made from 8/4 S4S walnut with a supporting cast of my new WEN 7.5” track saw and CPO refurbished Bosch 75 dual-action sander.Watched waaaay too many videos but have to give a shout-out to these 3 in particular.
Blacktail Studios on applying the Rubio Monocoat finish and the edge profile
Stumpy Nubs for how to make the curved cauls.
Puget Sound Woodworking on gluing up big boards.Highlights: Used C-channel on the underside to keep movement to a minimum. Legs were custom made by Gunar, a guy in Latvia that I found on Etsy. His legs were superior and cheaper than ones made by a guy 50 miles from me (or anybody else in the US) that I could just go and pick up, including shipping from Latvia. The local guy needed over a month. Had them from Latvia in 10 days, custom-sized and drilled to my specs. The c-channel is available pre-drilled for $50 for a 40” piece. I got 5 for $60 and drilled my own holes.No biscuits or dominoes were used or harmed in the making of this table. Made the cauls from oak flooring from Lumber Liquidators that always has slightly damaged boxes that they give away. Took the table to the local mill and had it sanded flat to 120 grit for $100.Cocobolo butterflies. (mainly for aesthetics, the crack was a shallow one but ya never know)Finish – Rubio Monocoat (Pure)Should have spent a little more time matching the boards at the yard. Other than the difference in color, the seams are almost invisible.

posted at: 12:01am on 02-Jan-2021

US Flag End Grain Cutting Board

US Flag End Grain Cutting BoardEnd grain cutting board. Purpleheart, redheart, and hard maple. Finish is mineral oil. Stars were inlaid via CNC. Size: 15 1/2 x 8 1/2. Plans came from MTM woodworks.

posted at: 12:01am on 02-Jan-2021

Tablesaw Accesories and Repair

Tablesaw Accesories and RepairMy table saw power switch broke! It broke in the on position, so I was able to finish the project by having someone plug and un-plug the saw. I replaced it with the above paddle switch and replaced the power cord.I finally got around to making a crosscut sled, WOW! I should have done that a lot sooner. I even got around to making a zero clearance insert.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2021

Router Finger Joint Jig

Router Finger Joint JigI am working on a blanket chest and want to use box or finger joint construction for the chest. After watching 15 or 20 YouTube videos on the the subject of finger joint jigs, most of them just are just variations of each other. I found one that was very different, it was more like a dove tail jig. The video was from Woodsmith demonstrating their finger joint jig, trying to sell their plans. I like that it used keys to size the fingers, you can use different size keys, and even different size keys on the same board.The last picture was my first attempt at finger joints with scrap with no adjustments.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2021

Serving Board

Serving BoardThis was a Christmas gift for a friend. The finish is mineral oil and bees wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jan-2021