The Woodshop Shed

adventures in woodworking and home maintenance, from my shop in an oversized backyard shed

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 
       


Tenon saw handle

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Tenon saw handleI don't know why I've waited so long to post it. I made it back in january, and I didn't do anything since then, because I was to busy with university, and since quarantine, I stayed away from my parents house where I keep my workbench and my tools because they are at risk and I didn't want them to become sick just because of my egoistic behavior.Anyway, here is kind of my first woodworking project ever, at least my first unassisted project (I don't really count the crappy plywood bird house we made in elementary school).I made it because I was particularly motivated by getting pretty hand tools, and was particularly motivated not to pay four hundred bucks for a hand made saw while probably being completely incompetent to tell the difference from a cheap saw.I guess this was kind of a pointless project to make first because I should probably have made a workbench first to replace the awful wobbly one that I had to use. But I guess too that any project is better than no project at all, and I've been procrastinated far too long for countless reasons (as I still am right now by the way).So, here is it. It's made of walnut, it's a random piece that I found at a local store, that I took because I liked the grain of it while being totally underqualified to judge if it would be easy to work with or not or anything.I think it turned out ok relatively to my experience (which is near 0). It's finished with linseed oil and home made bees wax.While I think it looks pretty, it doesn't mean I didn't mess it up (in fact I did). I cut the slot for the blade totally out of the line because I was too impatient to practice before. It turned out this bend the blade so much that it is completely unusable. I guess that those great things you learn as a beginner, but I kind of don't care, I do those things to learn and not for them to be perfect (else I wouldn't do it myself).Let me know what you think of it and I don't know what pertinent things I could add so I'll shut my mouse now as I've already wrote far too much too say far too little.By the way, sorry for my probably strange English, maybe even hardly understandable, as it isn't my mother tongue. I do my best to have a more interesting language, probably at the expense of making much more mistakes and probably writing many sentences that nobody with a sane mind could understand.



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



Pretty Piggy

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Pretty PiggyThis piggy bank is my second (first – https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/408182). Their is some great figure in the front top area that I hope you can see in first photo. It is made from walnut with a maple band and front legs. Design inspiration was Hampshire pigs, that are black with a white band and front legs. The band has 32 segments. In retrospect I think fewer segments would have looked better. The bank is 7” long and 4” in diameter with plastic eyes from Hobby Lobby, ears or leather scrap and tail of black pipe cleaner. The band hides the access to the $ – threaded joint. Finish is my favorite walnut oil buffed out with Beall system.This little pig is staying home in my office!



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



Armoire repair project

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Armoire repair projectMy wife got a armoire off facebook marketplace for $40. The folks we got it from had separated the top and bottom and managed to destroy the front span, as well as take chunks out of the face of the vertical front pieces.I pulled the broken span out, and cleaned up busted parts with the use of a chisel and Japanese saw.Cut a new piece of maple for the span, did a decent job matching stain, and cut some thin pieces of “veneer” to cover the face frame damage.
The crappy cardboard backing was gone, so I replaced it with a piece of 1/4” plywood stained pretty close, and the last repair was to replace the missing roller door catches.
Wife is happy with her $40 spend, so guess I'm happy too!



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
 
       


Promoted by Feed Shark





RSS (site)  RSS (path)

ATOM (site)  ATOM (path)

Categories
 - blog home

 - Announcements  (0)
 - Annoyances  (0)
 - For_Sale  (0)
 - Home_and_Garden  (0)
 - Humor  (0)
 - Industry_News  (0)
 - Massachusetts_USA  (0)
     - Swansea  (0)
 - Notices  (0)
 - Observations  (0)
 - Oddities  (0)
 - Privacy  (1)
 - Reading  (0)
     - Books  (0)
     - Ebooks  (0)
     - Magazines  (0)
     - Online_Articles  (0)
 - Reviews  (1)
 - Rhode_Island_USA  (0)
     - Providence  (0)
 - Shop  (0)
 - Shop_Improvements  (2)
 - Woodworking  (3854)
     - Projects  (2)
     - Resources  (3)
     - Techniques  (179)
     - Tips  (0)
     - Videos  (7)


Archives
 -2020  July  (6)
 -2020  June  (89)
 -2020  May  (91)
 -2020  April  (87)
 -2020  March  (90)
 -2020  February  (84)
 -2020  January  (90)
 -2019  December  (91)
 -2019  November  (89)
 -2019  October  (89)
 -2019  September  (90)
 -2019  August  (92)
 -2019  July  (94)


My Sites

 - Millennium3Publishing.com

 - SponsorWorks.net

 - ListBug.com

 - TextEx.net

 - FindAdsHere.com

 - VisitLater.com