December 2020

Adirondack Chair's For our Twin Granddaughters

Adirondack Chair's For our Twin Granddaughters Two Adirondack chair's for our twin granddaughters. They have 18” American Girl Dolls so I thought these would be a nice addition to their collection.I found a primed 1”X 6” X 8' Pine finger jointed board at Home Depot in the discounted rack for $3 bucks and use it to make these chairs.
I'll be shipping them to NC soon it's another surprise for the grandkids. Primed and spray painted with Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Coat. Yup more painted stuff. Did I mention I hate painting stuff! But I do it for the kids!Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Dec-2020

Four Mesquite French Rolling Pins

Four Mesquite French Rolling PinsThese were ordered by a lady in the park. They are all 19” long and made of mesquite, One had a little sap wood remaining before it cleaned up and one had a knot hole through it that is filled with turquoise.The are finished with Danish Oil and buffed and waxed.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Dec-2020

Comments:

Three Prong Fruit Grabber Or How To Steal Your Neighbors Grapefruit.

Three Prong Fruit Grabber Or How To Steal Your Neighbors Grapefruit. There I go stealing the grapefruits.The grabber is 89 1/4 (226.69 cm) long and it's jaws open to over 10 (24.4 cm) and made from scraps.I needed a break from building my bathroom cabinets and spied the ripe fruit on my neighbors tree.They don't eat them and throw them in their green trash bin.
I used a toilet bolt that I got with a wax ring kit for the trigger. It was the only bolt I had that fit. Redneck technology.My neighbors did give me permission to take the fruit. :^). They trim the tree when it blossoms to avoid the fruit. I ask them if they could wait until the fruit is ripe and could I have it, and they agreed.Thanks for visiting.

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Dec-2020

Barn Door

Barn DoorI made this barn door all wood even the rail using two contrasting woods and clear coating, wheels are made out of oak, the door is only being used twice a day.

posted at: 12:01am on 30-Dec-2020

Christmas ornaments

Christmas ornamentsJust a few different ornaments that I made for the folks at church, and other friends.

posted at: 12:01am on 30-Dec-2020

Frankenstein Feathered Hard Fishing Lure

Frankenstein Feathered Hard Fishing LureTime to kill. I thought about making a hard bait that incorporated feathers into the body. It was a strange assembly but in the end I came out with something. The next one will be better. I don't know if anyone else does this. The thing is made out of white pine, finished with feathers, an airbrush, and UV resin for the topcoats. As always I make everything except the hooks. (Ah… the birds made the feathers of course).There's video of the construction here.

posted at: 12:01am on 30-Dec-2020

Inlay Piece with Canary Wood, Blue Pine and Gaboon Ebony

Inlay Piece with Canary Wood, Blue Pine and Gaboon EbonyThe owner of the local Woodcraft store, Randy, asked me to make an inlay piece to give to his son for Christmas using the Shaper Origin. His son is 12 years old and a computer programming prodigy. His favorite language for programming is Python. The Python logo is shown above. Randy's idea was to use blue beetle kill pine for the blue part, canary wood for the yellow and gaboon ebony for the base. The blue pine wood was much bluer than it shows in the photo above.I downloaded the logo from the Python web site and used an IOS app to convert it to a SVG file, which is what the Shaper Origin uses. It took some tweaking to turn it into an enclosed vector shape, which is required to be able to do inside and outside cuts with the Shaper, and to adjust its size to match the stock he gave me to work with.A feature of the Shaper Origin that made it perfect for the job was the ability to set an offset for the pocket cut. By making it 0.004” larger than the cut for the inlay pieces, the result was inlays that fit tightly in the pocket, but didn't need to be tapped into place, and are removeable. They weren't glued in, so it's something of a puzzle piece, and a fun desk ornament to play with.The result you see is what I delivered, unfinished, and Randy sanded it and finished it with lacquer. He also cut cylinders of holly for the white eyes of the pythons.When I ran into his son at the store, he thanked me profusely. He's a genuinely fine young man. Randy told me he wrote “From: Rich” on the gift tag.

posted at: 12:02am on 29-Dec-2020

planer stand

planer standi must have been pretty good this year cuz santa brought me a planer!threw together a very simple but heavy duty stand with full size pull out shelves. used 5” rolling, locking casters so i can roll the table out onto the driveway for planing. originally i had planned for stationary shelves but pullouts are so much more handy.also got to work on refining my skill at making lap joints – way easier in 2-by lumber than thinner stuff. ended up joining the legs with lap joints and 1/2” dowels 6” long.oh! in my stocking i got a new tape measure! i know it may not sound exciting, but it always bugs me that i'm right handed, i hold the end of the tape with my right hand and the body in my left…and the numbers are upside down!not only do numbers run on each side of this tape but sixteenths are marked as well – awesome!

posted at: 12:02am on 29-Dec-2020

Swallowtail butterfly marquetry

Swallowtail butterfly marquetryThe blue and orange on the wing tips are pen blank acrylic material.

posted at: 12:02am on 29-Dec-2020

Turned Cheese Knife Handles

Turned Cheese Knife HandlesThis was a kit of cheese knives that I wanted to create handles for to match a pair of charcuterie boards I made as gifts awhile back. I have turned a few things, but I am still very much an amateur. This is the first time I have tried to make a matching set.The handles are about 3.5” long, and they are finished with wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Dec-2020

Cell Phone and Headset Stand

Cell Phone and Headset StandBefore I bought my new desk, I used to use one of the 3M brand stick up hooks to hold my work headset when I wasn't using it. However, my new desk is so nice that it seemed wrong to use that type anymore. So, I made up one with my leftover Walnut. This is actually the first project I designed entirely for me and not for a family member.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Dec-2020

Angel

AngelThis is another project started years ago, and finally finished this Christmas.
Well. Not exactly finished, since there's no finish upon it.
I'm thinking a light wash of pastel blue for the robe, some flesh color for the hands and face, and leave the wings and hair natural. Or perhaps a light or darker brown for the hair.Some think I should leave the whole thing natural. Some think I should carve another and try on natural and one painted.I'll make up my mind one of these days. Maybe.Angel, from slightly spalted basswood (I think). About 6 inches high. Carved and sanded.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Dec-2020

Chalkboard for Grandkids 18" America Girl dolls

Chalkboard for Grandkids 18" America Girl dolls Our Twin Granddaughters love to play school with there 18” American Girl Doll's so I made them a flip chalkboard. One side has the chalkboard and the other side has a whiteboard. 12 1/2”H X 11” W Plans hereThis should go well with the two girl doll desks made for them for Christmas.More painted projects! I have Pottz to thank for the inspiration and I'm all in with painted stuff now. But I still hate to paint! LOL!Happy New Year everyone!

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Dec-2020

Walnut Burl Dish

Walnut Burl DishThis is the second cut from the burl that my neighbor, Jeannie, gave me. This one is for her.It is finished with clear gloss lacquer.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Dec-2020

Gustavo Dudamel

Gustavo DudamelI feel so lucky. I was asked to make this piece. My customer wanted a piece of art done in a different way and not just a picture, this is what I came out with.. hope u guys lo like as much as my customer did.. thnk u..
I used half inch plywood, acrylics, hand painted.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Dec-2020

Christmas 2020 candle holders

Christmas 2020 candle holders Made a few votive candle holders for friends. They are made out of 8/4 white oak and cherry harvested only a few miles from home. They were fun to make and a great way to use some off cuts, live edge, and knots that might have otherwise ended up being wasted. I left them all pretty much rough cut and finished them with a few coats of tung oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Dec-2020

Cement truck toy

Cement truck toy1/2 size and simplified from plans in Reg Martin's construction toy book. Used all cherry scraps. 6 inches long. The barrel is turned solid block and spins. Tried to make it durable enough for a high energy 4 year old. Finished with mix of tung oil, Rub on poly, and mineral oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Dec-2020

Toy Shopping Cart

Toy Shopping CartAnother Christmas present for a granddaughter. Great toy hauler. Baltic Birch. Wheels took some figuring…3/4 plywood circle with 1/2 shallow rabbet around the rim to accept a rubber vacuum cleaner belt for the tread. Axle is 1/4 bolt through a 1/2 inch nylon bushing lubed with bees wax and screwed into a t-nut. Used a template with a flush-trim router bit to make slotted basket.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Dec-2020

Mackintosh Six Drawer Dresser

Mackintosh Six Drawer DresserI decided to build this dresser in the summer, to alleviate storage problems when both college-aged sons moved back into the house for quarantine. It took me two months to get up the gumption to even get over my fundamental laziness to start the process. I thought it would take two weeks.I had obviously forgotten how long it takes to do a “big thing.”The style is direct from Dryadstudios.com, and if you're an Arts and Crafts woodworker, I highly recommend their styling. Thanks for the inspiration, Mike!The drawers are all dovetailed, and the color is from Transtint Amber aniline dye, finished with Minwax Tung Oil finish. I decided I would try to use my Domino joiner, but really didn't hardly at all. I made the drawer frames with it, but that forced other decision that made it unclear whether all THAT was really a time-saving measure. I've taken to cutting the half-blind dovetails with my Leigh dovetail jig, and my wrist joints definitely thank me! I cut the back dovetails as through dovetails by hand to keep practice.Misery factor associated with the project was about 7/10. There are LOTS of parts in this sucker—the drawers have frames between them, but actually slide on wooden runners. I made story sticks, I rubbed my stomach and patted my head—but the reality is that making things like this take a long time, and even if you draw up a great plan, well, good luck. You WILL make mistakes. Or rather I MADE mistakes!OTOH—if I made another one, it would be a lot easier.QSWO of course. First time with the aniline dyes, and I really recommend any woodworker to try this. They really work, and aren't that hard!The inlay on the breadboard ends is Buffard-Freres, from the early 20th century (Opaloid for those aficionados.) Finally, the hardware is from House of Antique Hardware, and sorta- reasonably priced.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Dec-2020

William Whitehead Pembroke Table New York c. 1805

William Whitehead Pembroke Table New York c. 1805Merry Christmas Lumberjocks! Finished this just in time for Christmas, this is a reproduction of Rob Millard's NY Pembroke table, per his site and generous instructions.Features Line inlaid top. One working full depth drawer and one false drawer, with inlaid ovals, surrounded by triple line inlay, set in a ribbon stripe field, enclosed by light wood border. Tapering legs, with loop and flower inlays, cuff bands, below 12 segment scalloped fan inlay. Finished with potassium dichromate and shellac, french polished top.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Dec-2020

Christmas gift

Christmas giftI made this as a gift for my nephew this year. This was his second year deer hunting and he finally had the opportunity in the youth gun season to take a couple does. He was mighty proud of them (and got the full experience of getting to butcher them) so I wanted to give him a nice way to display some of his pictures. Don't know if you can tell but in the very center of the frame I put the casing of one of the 44mag shells that he used to bag one of the deer. I finished the frame with golden oak stain and two coats of poly. I wrapped the gift before I thought to take a picture of it but it now has a backing and glass in it
Interesting note on the wood. In the woods behind my house is a very old fallen down barn/shed. As fortune would have it when the thing fell the roof covered much of the wood. We purchased that property from my wife's grandmother and she says the building was down when she came into the family over 60 years ago. With the assumption that the building back then may have lasted 30 years or so (just a guess but there are barns in my area that are well over 100 years old) then we guess the building was possible built around the time of the depression. The oak I salvaged was old and moss covered but cleaned up really nice. I'd love to eventually make a guitar or mandolin from it but for now I think this piece will be appreciated in its second life

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Dec-2020

Two Turned Bar Stools / Walnut with Waterlox Finish

Two Turned Bar Stools / Walnut with Waterlox FinishJust finished off these walnut bar stools. Nice exercise for spindle practice and repeat cuts.For the video How To. Check the linkhttps://youtu.be/_QkvDTBh2DsBob A in NJ
Dec 23, 2020Happy Holidays!

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Dec-2020

Live edge mirrors

Live edge mirrorsNothing like pushing it to the last minute but I got these 2 mirrors ready by Christmas. Made from live edge black walnut finished with a matte finish they came out pretty good. Customer seems happy. Merry Christmas everyone.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Dec-2020

Wooden Tools

Wooden ToolsThese tools were made out of necessity. I forgot my collets for the lathe so I needed to mount my buffing wheels away from the chuck or the head stock so I made this mesquite mandrel to mount the wheels in. I first turned the #2 Morse taper and did the fitting in the tail stock. Then I mounted it in the spindle and bored the 1/4” hole and tapped a hole for a set screw. It works just great .The second tool is a wooden sanding ball where I put a piece of sandpaper over the end and hold it on with a rubber O-ring. I needed this for some spoons I'm making. I have to make some more of them with a 1/8” arbor for a Dremel. but I may need the metal lathe for that. This was also made from Mesquite.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Dec-2020

Star Tea Light Candle Stands

Star Tea Light Candle StandsMade these from a pattern Steve Good posted a few days ago for some family members back west. They will receive them too late for Christmas Day exactly but I'm glad I could send them something

posted at: 12:01am on 23-Dec-2020

Comments:

Wood hold downs - step by step build. (post)

Wood hold downs - step by step build. (post)Wood hold downs
step by step build.For as long as I can remember, these bad boys have been on my to do list, but for some reason they took ten years to be realized Better late than never.So I am more than happy now, especially by the drill press, where they are most often needed, but also think they may become useful on my MFT3 table and I plan to even drill a couple of holes in my normal desk, so I can use the delicate version there.This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131951
Pictures:
1. Hold down in use.
2. Recycle ash floor boards.
3. Sketching.
4. Routing.
5. Jigs.
6. Off cuts become small hold downs.

Leather tip version, for delicate work.Hope it can be to some inspiration, or help someone hold on to something they care about…Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:01am on 23-Dec-2020

More decorations

More decorationsWanda wanted some simulated Christmas presents for the front yard. Not just simple boxes, but boxes with stripes and dots like wrapping paper, enhanced with glitter (ugh). Simple…hold my beer.Three plywood boxes. First issue was that the 1/2” exterior plywood was so rough it looked like a plowed field. No problem, just use interior plywood and make it weatherproof, well resistant.Construction of the boxes was straightforward. I coated each with 3 coats of exterior oil-base Kiilz. The cut edges were first soaked well with the Kilz thinned about 10% with mineral spirits in order for it to soak in well.They were then sprayed with silver and gold paint. The I masked off stripes on the large box (silver) and sprayed the stripes gold – didn't show up well. Solution – enhance the color with glitter! Re-taped and sprayed with contact adhesive and quickly sprinkled the glitter on (outside, of course – can you imagine that much glitter indoors?). The oversprayed the glitter with exterior acrylic to waterproof the contact …... how many steps was this ?The smaller gold boxes were the same process except for spraying through a round hole in a template.Out of caution, they are sitting on pieces of 2×4 to keep them off the ground.The Christmas tree balls were made by painting styrofoam balls with 2 coats of the Kilz, as spray paint dissolves styrofoam. Then, contact adhesive and lots of gltter, and acrylic. The 'metal' caps are shaving cream can caps, which I save for mixing glue.Result, not bad – our retirement community has 945 homes and there is a contest for best decoration – we took 5th place.

posted at: 12:01am on 23-Dec-2020

Comments:

Leather strap cutter - make your own (post)

Leather strap cutter - make your own (post)Leather strap cutter
make your own.This is basic leather tool you can buy, but so easy to make, that anyone can make one, so I decided I wanted to make my own.This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131946
Pictures:
1. Leather strap cutter in use.
2. Making it.
3. Stanley blades.
4. Width adjuster and blade holder.
5. Starting a cut.
6. Strap made.

Hope it can be to some inspiration, or even some straps.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Dec-2020

Crown Royal tipper

Crown Royal tipperi had a request to make a tipper for a crown royal bottle. i have made several for wine bottles so i accepted the challenge.
The board is 5 1/2 ” wide by 12 1/2” long.
I drilled an 1 1/2” hole 6 1/2 inches from the bottom.
I cut the ends at a 30 degree angle.
finished with 2 coats of tung oil varnish and a couple coats of laquer after the tung oil dried.
fun project and conversation piece when people try to figure what holds the tipper up without tipping over.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Dec-2020

First timer

First timerTook the opportunity to try something new. This was my first attempt at carving a wood spirit. I knew I should have picked a softwood for my first try but this piece of cherry has been sitting in my shop for a few years and I guess the wood spirt inside it finally got my attention. I carved it using me Dremel and flex shaft, should have had some better carving bits. It is finished with a dark mahogany stain and clear matte spray. It wasn't terribly difficult to carve, cherry is a relatively soft hardwood but next time I think I'll look for a lighter colored wood. The stain helped to highlight some of the details and overall it took me just a few hours to carve, stain and finish. I did some research on the history of wood spirits and made up the tag to put with these, feel free to use it if you'd like.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Dec-2020

Skateboard half pipe..finger sized

Skateboard half pipe..finger sizedAnother project for my son and I for the two weeks he was into these finger boards. I was pleased with the finish on this one.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Dec-2020

Taming the shopvac

Taming the shopvacQuieter shop with some wall insulating foam in a semi-enclosed space. I highly suggest building a space for your shopvac. It's much most tolerable now. I have some egg-crate foam inside and the space is large enough to avoid overheating.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Dec-2020

Day & Night Relief Carving

Day & Night Relief CarvingThis relief carving is built-up of poplar & black walnut, with overlays of a few other woods. 26” x 15” x 1-1/2” thick
It is based on a 1938 woodcut of M. C. Escher, titled “Day & Night.” showing a flock of contrasting geese forming a tessellation in the upper part and morphing into farm fields below. The left half shows a riverside village in daylight. The right half features a mirror image of the village at night.
Later in 1938 Escher did some similar woodcut tessellations called “Sky & Water I & II” Elsewhere in my Projects are relief carving of those designs. This carving was done with hand tools over six months duration. PCA

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Dec-2020

Dinosaur Puzzle / Diorama

Dinosaur Puzzle / DioramaThis is another Christmas present for a grandson. The plans are from Wood Magazine. I changed the plan and added a box underneath the puzzle base to store the pieces – empty the pieces out, replace the lid, turn it over and put the pieces together on the top. A great way to ship and store it. I made each dino out of a different wood to add color and figuring to each one, Zebrawood, Purpleheart, Sapele, Maple, Cherry and the mountains from walnut. I did find the purpleheart a little brittle – I had to make sure that there were no everly thin spots as I cut out the pieces. (since each dino is made from a single piece it meant starting that one over again. I tried a new-to-me finish this time. I mixed 1/3 Boiled Linseed oil / 1/3 Wipe-on Polyurethane / 1/3 Mineral oil. I poured this into a plastic dish and immersed each piece briefly, drained them and wiped them dry. Great results! Fun project, challenging scrollwork, great gift!

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Dec-2020

Lego Duck replica pull toy

Lego Duck replica pull toyThis is from an Instructable plan. The bill opens and closes as the toy moves. I was concerned that it didn't have a noise mechanism but the kids love it and the bill makes a snapping noise that is adequate. I made it from maple and cherry scraps. The painting challenged me as my free-handing isn't very good. I have already had requests from my other grandkids for 3 more. Fun project

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Dec-2020

Pine Burl Pieces

Pine Burl PiecesA lady from Wyoming brought me this limb that was very old and had 4 burls on it. Two of them were under 2” in diameter and two were big enough to turn some pieces out of. I turned this bowl and lidded box from them. The bowl is 6” dia. and 2 3/4” high and the box is 4”Dia x 4”high.
The bowl had a few branches growing through it. They are finished with Danish Oil and clear gloss lacquer.Cheers and Merry Christmas to all my Lumberjock family…..............Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Dec-2020

Bedside Table #1

Bedside Table #1Hi:Next in my series of Wine Barrel furniture, I have a bedside table I've made for my Daughter-in-law for Christmas. Soon to follow will be a matching table for her husband (my son).This is a quirky little table that kind-of looks like a cartoon robot. But is is solid and sturdy and full of character.The top is constructed from a disassembled barrel lid, from which, after re-glueing and hand planing, I managed to produce a beautiful surface. Some of the boards have a distinctive 1/4 sawn appearance. White oak, of coarse.The legs are from barrel stave, in this case from a red wine barrel.The drawer enclosure is made from box-jointed baltic birch covered with resawn 2/4 white oak, again, highly figured.The drawer itself is also a box-jointed assembly, and the face of the drawer is made from laminated barrel staves, revealing the barrel bung hole.All the fasteners were screws. The table can be disassembled if need be.As I have stated in the past, working with wine barrel wood presents a number of challenges that require me to improvise, with interesting and delightful results.Enjoy!Bill Judt

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Dec-2020

Reclaimed Pallet Wood Headboard & Stands

Reclaimed Pallet Wood Headboard & StandsMy wife said she would love to have a pallet wood headboard. I liked the idea so I began. I glued and tacked the pallet wood slats to a piece of 1/4” plywood with a 2×4 frame. I painted the 2×4's and plywood black before adding slats to help camouflage the gaps in the slats.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Dec-2020

Ornament for attic window

Ornament for attic windowI made this to go in the window above the garage.Its a simple plywood box, painted white on the inside and black on the outside. The lettering and dove were sketched onto the front and cut out with the scroll saw.It is lit with 2 sets of battery powered LED lights. The individual lights are glued into holes drilled in the back with the wires on the outside. They automatically turn on for 6 hours and off for 18.Glued onto the inside surface of the front are sheets of plain white paper to serve as a projection screen and to prevent the lights form showing.Simple and quick.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Dec-2020

Water heater cabinet

Water heater cabinetIn my shop, I've got a little inline electric water heater. It's enough to make warm-ish water for when I need to wash my hands in the shop and that's about it. But the contractor just left it hanging in space, and I've bonked into it with things a few times, so I decided to build a cabinet to protect it a little.This is the result. Pine 1x lumber, with a dovetailed carcasse, with a 5/4 inch wide face inside the front, and a door made of mitered half-lap pine 1×4s with a piece of old Target particle board bookshelf to serve as the panel in the door. Mounted with a piano hinge, and with one of my first spindle turnings turned into a handle. The feet under it are turned ash (and shown in the third picture).

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Dec-2020

Sling Hockey

Sling HockeyI saw one of these in a store last week and thought it would be a cool game for my grandson. I googled it and there were many sizes and different ways to make them so I just made my own version, and I'll make my own rules too. LOL.
I came up with 12'' x 24''. It's a 3/4'' x 1'' frame, much like a picture frame with a dado for the bottom. One bottom is 1/4'' and the other 3/8'', It's what I had on hand. I used a 2×2'' piece of white oak and turned the pucks to 1 5/8''. You can buy a 1 1/2'' dowel rod and cut them just the same. I made the center piece taller, kind of looks like a score board.
The pucks are 3/8'' thick so the opening was cut 1 7/8'' wide by 5/8'' high. The power cord is 1/8'' bungee cord I got from Amazon. 25ft for $6. When drilling the holes for the bungee I countersunk them so the cord won't stick out so much. Adjust the stretch any way you want. Caution too much and the pucks will fly. haha.
I painted one and left the other natural. Finished both with clear rustoleum enamel.It's a cool game and they have different ways to play. The object of this one is you start off with a chosen amount of pucks on each side. That's why I made plenty. Both play at the same time. First one to get their pucks on the other side wins.
Any comments welcomed or questions feel free to ask. Great Christmas gift.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Dec-2020

Comments:

Arts and crafts style shelf box

Arts and crafts style shelf boxMade this as a present for my daughter. It is white oak and QS white oak. I finished it with cherrywood gel stain and three coats of satin lacquer.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Dec-2020

Large wooden flag 3x5'ish

Large wooden flag 3x5'ishLarge wooden flag of distressed pine. Customer wanted a tattered look, which was accomplished by clamping the individual stripes to my bench and snapping the end off with a 3 lb maul. After that was complete, I burned the stripes and union, then carved the stars with a Dremel.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Dec-2020

Wooden Flag 19x37

Wooden Flag 19x37Simple flag of pine, burned and stars carved with a Dremel.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Dec-2020

Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe

Hawaiian Outrigger CanoeHawaiian Outrigger Canoe
This was a fun project. I brought koa and mango wood from Kauai back to Minnesota, with the express pupose of making this little knicknack. The hull and outrigger beams are Koa, and the ouitrigger float is mango. The mast is 1/4 inch dowel and the spar is a steamed and bent bamboo skewer. The sail is pachment with a sea turtle graphic, done in black Sharpie. The rigging was quite a project….done with kitchen twine. The overall length is about 12 inches. All wood parts are sanded to 220 and finished with spray satin poly.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Dec-2020

Osage and Maple Charcuterie Board

Osage and Maple Charcuterie Boardi had never heard of “orange osage” wood, when I came across a pallet of scraps marked down at the local lumber yard. It was marked down 40%. I had never heard of orange wood. This was rough cut, so it was hard to figure out what it might look like. When I got it home I planed one side and got a look at it, and fell in love… I had a friend asking for a charcuterie board, and we worked out the design, and I told her I really wanted to work with the osage.She liked the idea of the gradient pattern. When I planed it after the glue-up, I loved the color (the picture on the workbench). You can see in that picture how different the light plays on the wood, and how the color changes… As I cut the shape, and rounded the edges, I was impressed with how well the wood worked. Sanding was a dream, and after wetting and re-sanding I could not believe how smooth it felt. The first coat of oil made the color really pop! That is the first picture, hanging up to dry in the shop.The picture where I am holding it, is after the wax finish was applied and dried right before delivery.This color combination is very unique. It always made me think of creamsicle treats, and made me always crave ice cream… :-)

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Dec-2020

Through tenon boxes

Through tenon boxesI batched out eight of these stationary boxes for a Christmas order, which was a little daunting.
Made from maple and walnut.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Dec-2020

Charcuterie Boards - FAILED Design

Charcuterie Boards - FAILED DesignThis is the project that led me to lumberjocks. Although it did not work out well for me I thought I would post it in hopes that others would learn from my mistakes and maybe save some time (and wood).My daughter in law came to me with some pictures of some very unique looking charcuterie boards she found on Pintrest that she wanted for their new home in LA. At the time I did not know what a charcuterie board was, but after a little research, I was ready to go. They came out great. She was very pleased. From the pictures you can see they have a whisky barrel feel to them very unique to other board designs. I made the first one (the rectangle), of red oak and cherry. I had one piece of red oak, and she wanted this design that looked like planking, so I cut the board apart, and flipped the pieces over and end to end so the grain did not match. Then I cut it apart in the other direction, and glued in the cherry across the other direction. When we were settling on the design to use, I could tell Kim also was very interested in the round shape. It turned out that I had enough wood, and was intrigued with the shape, and so I made a matching board in the other shape. I remember being concerned about the perpendicular grain when running the boards through the planer. I thought there would be chip out, but they came out great (until later)...Some other things about the build:
- Built in NH, used in southern CA.
- Glue used Titebond II
- In LA (hot and dry) for about a month before use
- Rectangle board just under 3/4”
- Round board thinner 5/8”
- Food safe finish of mineral oil and bees waxThe boards were used for the first time over Thanksgiving. After use, they were washed off by hand and they noticed the splitting in the last two pictures. The problem (as pointed out in the joinery forum) was the perpendicular pieces, and their effect on interfering with the expansion/contraction. If you are interested you can see the full explanation in the forum: https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/312427.Note that both of these boards exhibited the same types of separation. I made a few other charcuterie boards over this same period, but all of those were the more traditional design with all grains in the same direction, and none of those have shown problems like this.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Dec-2020

More Charcuterie Boards

More Charcuterie BoardsTwo more charcuterie boards that makes a dozen out the door. The first one is cherry, walnut and maple. The second one is hickory, walnut and maple. The boards were finished with my concoction of raw linseed oil and beeswax.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Dec-2020

Silver Maple Bowl - OR - The First Thing I've Made Since Last May

Silver Maple Bowl - OR - The First Thing I've Made Since Last MayI, like many others I suppose, have found it hard to be inspired this year.I was inspired by my driveway woodpile. More to the point, I was inspired by the bug sign that I'd noticed building up around my logs. So, a couple weeks ago, I fired up the chainsaw and went to work making little tiny pieces of wood out of great big pieces of wood so they'd fit in the barrel for disposal. The first couple of logs I decimated were too cracked, punky, and eaten alive to be of any use. It's all, however, wonderfully spalted. Then, this past Thursday, I continued the process. This time, I found some sound wood that could be useful. This piece is from one of those chunks.There was some punkiness, but I addressed that with some sanding and sealed it with shellac (I seem to have run out of shellac. I know I have a can of it here, somewhere. Do you know where I left it? It's probably hanging out with my missing burnishing wires). I left the wormholes au natural, and I only almost broke it when I was removing it from the chuck, having misremembered that I'd mounted it in a recess and turned the handle the wrong way. No harm, no foul. Speaking of the recess:You may have noticed the bulge in the middle of the recess.That's my way of trying to make a chuck recess look like something other than a chuck recess. In this case, I failed to notice that the bulge slightly exceeds the depth of the recess channel. So this bowl is a special bowl. It's a top bowl. Sitting on a hard surface, it spins like a top.After the shellac sealing, I finished it with YG and three coats of HS. The size is 6-1/2 X 3-1/4.I'll try to get motivated with some of the other chunks.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Dec-2020

Retractable step stool

Retractable step stoolThis project was fun and presented some challenges with some techniques that were new to me. This is a step stool I designed for my granddaughter. She is 15 months old. It is made from white pine and finished with Osmo oil finish.I wanted something with a retractable step so I created a track on the first step that runs over a peg on the outer housing.Initial full scale drawing:I created a pattern to us for the creation of the track. It needed a 1/16” offset because of the router bit I used had that offset.It needed a 1/16” offset because of the router bit I used had that offset.The upper step has mortise and tenon frames with rails dovetailed into the frames, 1 in front and 2 in back. I also added stretchers that would be used to attach the top step. These were made a little more complicated due to the front face having a 7 degree angle.After glue up and testing the lower step mechanism I found that the lower step would fall if the whole stool was lifter.To fix this I added two more pegs to the backThe red tail on the back of the stool is something I try to do with my pieces.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2020

salt and pepper grinders

salt and pepper grinderswell here is this years christmas gift for the ladies at our office,every year i do something different,i just hate giving a gift card,so impersonable and says i really dont want to waste my time.i did 8 sets of grinders with a base.kits were from penn state.there one handed grinders that you just press with your thumb.wood used is cocobolo for the grinder and a solid 4”x8” cocobolo base with rubber feet.the grinders were finished with friction polish on the lathe and the bases were just given a coat of arm r seal.i had more pic's showing the progress but they seem to have gotten lost in cyber space.any questions or just wanna tell me they suck are welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2020

Flocked Eyeglass Storage Box with colored pyrography graphics

Flocked Eyeglass Storage Box with  colored pyrography graphicsFor Christmas, my wife wanted something to keep on her nightstand which would store her prescription glasses and her readers in when she is wearing her contacts during the day so I made this box to hold her two pairs of glasses.Initial thoughts were a box with 2 drawers or 2 slots, but settled on a simple incline on which the glasses would set within the box.Another finger joint box. Not sure about the wood, some scraps I had. The scalloped incline was cut on my router table using a 1/2 dia ball cutter. Scaled the step over and increased depth.Pyrography for the butterfly, and colored with watercolor pencils.Finished with 2 coats of GF Wipe on Clear followed up with a quick once over with steel wool and numerous coats of Minwax paste wax.First time flocking. Not perfect. Definitely some lessons learned but overall pleased with how it completed the box.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2020

Comments:

HI! HO! HI! HO! IT'S OFF TO WORK WE GO!!!!

HI! HO! HI! HO! IT'S OFF TO WORK WE GO!!!!Found a piece of laminated pine. I couldn't cut out the splits so I included the marks so they would be part of the toe-cap. Pine is nice to carve but the sap is devastating to my sanding drums!
Finished with a French polish mixture I bought at Lee Valley Tools.
Merry Christmas to all!The Bootman

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Dec-2020

Small Mobile Lumber Cart

Small Mobile Lumber CartWhile reorganizing the workshop, I finally took some time to build a scrap lumber cart. My shop is not large, so I needed a proportionally-sized scrap cart. Of course, all research for shop organization starts here at LJ, and I found Ron Stewart's cart to be just the thing for my needs. (Thanks, Ron!)I used Ron's dimensions and pocket-screw assembly for mine as well, and it went together easily. I spent one day laying out the pieces and cutting them from HD 3/4” baltic birch plywood, and another day drilling the pocket holes and putting it all together.I added an access hole at the bottom of the long panels at the rear. I just know I'm going to drop something down there at some point, and I thought it prudent to add a hole where I can retrieve whatever it happens to be.The Amazon caster set came with some bolts, which I installed in a plywood mounting plate. I counter-bored a hole nearly the size of the bolt head, and one good smack with a hammer seated into place. Instant captive bolt.This was a fun, quick project. If it doesn't hold all the scraps I have, I'm in trouble. :)

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Dec-2020

Christmas cutting boards

Christmas cutting boardsEvery Christmas I make cutting boards for friends and family and with lots of free time this year I actually got them done early. The zig zig 3D I made from a plan from MTM Woodworking. It's made with Purpleheart, Sapele, and Bigleaf Maple. The other 2 were made with no real plan in mind. I had walnut, cherry, and maple leftovers and just started planing and gluing and cutting and sanding and somehow came up with these 2 designs. Hopefully, no one asks me to make them another one of these 2 because I have no idea really what I did. Kinda like them better than the planned one. Finished with Howard Butcher Bloc Finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2020

Bookcase for credenza

Bookcase for credenzaThis bookcase was designed to sit on top of the credenza that I posted as my last project. I wanted the bookcase + credenza to finish at a height of 80”, and to be set in from the credenza top 3 on both sides and the front. The top on the credenza is 14” deep and 67” wide. The bookcase is 11” deep and 61” wide. The credenza is 31” tall. The bookcase is 49” tall.Constructed with mortise and tenon and frame and panel joinery, the bookcase contains several elements of both the credenza and the desk that i posted recently. I was initially shooting for 2”x2” legs (as used on the previously mentioned projects), but due to wood movement, I ended up milling down to 1 3/4”x1 3/4”. While this change is noticeable to me, to a non-woodworker, I don't think it is noticeable.The panels were milled to 5/8” to allow for them to be flush with the interior of the case, but sit back 1/4” from the exterior. All dados to accept the panels were cut using a Freud box joint blade set and were 3/8” wide. The mortises were marked out, cut on the appropriate pieces by hogging out the majority of the waste with a Forstner bit at my drill press and routed using a 1/2” spiral upcut bit in my Triton 3 1/2 HP router. I cut the tenons at the table saw using the Freud set mentioned above, and I rounded the tenons with a rasp.Everything is constructed from 2×12 SYP, coves routed on exterior corners of the legs, 1/8” roundover on all sharp edges, sanded to 220 and stained with Minwax Red Oak. I then applied 3 coats of Minwax Satin Poly thinned 50% with mineral spirits, sanding lightly with 0000 steel wool between coats.I used shelf pins for the 6 shelves, and I made a simple jig from MDF to ensure that all holes were spaced appropriately. Unfortunately, during glue up, I reversed the panels and the top shelves are closer to the top stretchers(?) than I intended. It is a small error, but it still bothers me.I attached the bookcase by drilling through the credenza top and screwing into the legs. All in all, I am pleased with the way the project turned out, and only have a couple more pieces to build before finishing my home office renovation.I have several pictures that I am going to add for additional detail.

Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2020

Kitchen nook

Kitchen nookThis is a little kitchen nook I made for my stepdaughter. It is southern yellow pine with a cherry wood gel stain. I need some more practice and skills on my upholstery work but not too bad.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2020

Brass, Silver, and Wood

Brass, Silver, and WoodMy brother, a lifelong trumpet player, suggested this project. Like most brass players, he has accumulated quite a collection of mouthpieces and needed a way to organize them. I play the euphonium ( think baby tuba) and have the same problem.
Both racks were made from repurposed wood. The trumpet rack is made from p piece of nicely figured cherry salvaged from a pallet by my neighbor. The euphonium mouthpiece rack is from a piece of ash firewood. It is mounted on a piece of cherry with a walnut accent. The ash was killed by Emerald Ash Borer and shows great color and boring holes.
The final finish is wipe-on poly and wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2020

Misc Turned Firewood 2020

Misc Turned Firewood 2020I thought that I would finally post some of the things I have turned over the last year or so. These are some of my favorites. I'm always looking for interesting things to try or sometimes it just evolves based upon the chunk of firewood I mount on the lathe.1: Spalted Sycamore bowls a from a log a friend down in Austin collected for me. It sat around for a while before I was able to get it from him and the results of my sloth were pretty stunning.
2: Eastern Red Cedar bowl from a chunk of wood from LJ Duckmilk
3: 2 Bradford pear bowls from a large crotch. The bark inclusion and gap is filled with epoxy with a mica dye.
4: Arizona ash sphere and small platter made from the end that was mounted in the chuck. AA has a reputation as a trash tree but I have been pretty impressed with the quality of the wood I've gotten from this particular log.
5: Bradford pear hollow form from a 3-way fork with ebonized BP finial. I love the way that the bark on BP machines and polishes smooth.
6: Tiny Cedar vase sitting on live oak live edge “bowl”. The bowl was turned from this piece I sliced off a log when cutting some boards on my bandsaw. I was experimenting to see if I could turn this into a bowl.
Instead of creating another posting, here are a few more experimentsEastern red cedar box
Ash Cedar Orb
Inception top (still spinning)
Heart rotted oak
Silver maple. Loose knot was filled with epoxy and dye

Ringmaster plywood orb.
Bradford pear hollow form. Experimented with coloring with Transtint dye. (I guess I forgot to take a picture with the ebonized finial I made for it.

Mesquite

Mesquite with Turquoise inlay

Bottom of the same bowl (with one of my favorite beers)
Time to go finish my beer.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2020

Comments:

Systainer tote and MFT worktable (post)

Systainer tote and MFT worktable (post)Systainer tote and MFT worktable
SYS-MaFe.Time for another project that was made out of joy, not need, but with a specific purpose in mind and the create as you go approach to the project, no drawings, no final idea, just loose thoughts.The criteria was, that it could function as:
A tool tote / caddy.
A MFT compatible workbench, that could rest or connect on top of the systainers, so it could function as a low and high work surface.
A sawhorse.
A step stool or as small stool for a rest.
That it could be stored inside a systainer during transport.
That everyone should be able to make it easy and cheap.
Well and that it was also a joy to look at.
This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131899
Pictures:
1. Systainer tote work table.
2. Ready to route as a on site work table.
3. Tote / caddy use.
4. On the MFT3 as table top table.
5. For 90 cuts.
6. Making the SYS-MaFe.

I look forward to bring this to my allotment, for around the house projects, but even more to come and help my daughter, or work in my apartment, with a little portable workshop.Hope it can be to some inspiration, or even better make life more easy, when working on site.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2020

Bench Light

Bench LightDecided to make a new light for my assembly / finishing bench. Hat tip to Ron Stewart who gave me the idea (https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/413599 ). I used a retrofit flat recessed LED ceiling light that has a switch so you can change the color temperature from 3000K up to 5000K with 940 lumens ($17.88, link below). I also put a dimmer switch on it so I can get the perfect light for whatever project I have going. I put joints in so the light can be adjusted to any angle including the base that can turn 360 degrees. I put sandpaper at the joint intersections to give it a good bite when cinched down. I'm really happy with it and will probably make a dual-headed one for my actual workbench that will hang from the ceiling.I put a wooden washer on the base of the lamp arm and secured it with a long screw.I shaved down the corners of the plywood to make it round so it would rotate in the hole.Here is a link to the light I used:
Hutch

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2020

Christmas Decoration

Christmas DecorationChristmas sled made on the CNC for the wife!

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2020

Dremel shell stringing/banding saw

Dremel shell stringing/banding sawFor Brian Jones – my Heath Robinson shell stringing saw.I occasionally use shell stringing on my work and trying to cut them without splintering the edges was difficult. So I made this wooden contraption to hold a Dremel which I can clamp in the vice. Instead of the small steel saw blades you can get for the Dremel I use these fibro/resin cutting discs/wheels.They do the job really well, and give a very smooth edge, though they do wear down quite quickly. But as they are cheap its no problem. As you can see I didn't bother with a sophisticated fence, just a piece of wood and a couple of clamps.I get the laminated shell sheet that I cut the strings off from Australian Mother of Pearl. They sell standard thicknesses, but will do custom thicknesses if required. The range is amazing – pau, gold MOP, white MOP, muscle etc etc

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2020

Present Present

Present Present I have only made one of these, on this attempt I made smaller and larger ribbon loops for each box. The smaller box made with mohogany and has Purple Heart / maple ribbon. The larger box which is about 6×9 and 6 high is made from Ambrosia maple and has ribbon made of Bloodwood and Maple.Still learning tricks with this process and others have done much nicer ribbons …. fun project hope the receivers are surprised !!

posted at: 12:01am on 09-Dec-2020

Squirrel with mushrooms

Squirrel with mushroomsJust finished this one. I never realized that squirrels ate mushrooms until this summer. So I decided it would be a fun subject.

posted at: 12:01am on 09-Dec-2020

Comments:

Festool / Makita rail square DIY (post)

Festool / Makita rail square DIY  (post)Festool / Makita rail square DIY
can be made for any rail.When doing construction work, it's useful to be able to make fast straight board cuts in many situations, these cut's don't need to be furniture precise, but within a mm or so pr. Meter, is more than fine. This is where these rail squares are brilliant, no setup, just a pencil mark for the size and you can make a nice straight cut.
Decided I needed one of these for my allotment house and that it would be a fun project, to make a MaFe version.
This square can of course be made for any brand of rail, my rail saw is a Festool, but I also made a rail jig, for my Makita and even have both brands of routers, that run on the rails.This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131888
Pictures:
1. Rail square on track.
2. Sliding it on.
3. Whooo.
4. Building the thing.
5. In use.
6. On the wall.

Stay safe and wait with patience, for the vaccine, to bring back life as we knew it.Hope it can be to some inspiration, or even a straight cut.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:01am on 09-Dec-2020

Puzzle

PuzzleIt started out as a puzzle for my grandkids but since it reminded me of Hawaii and the fact I can't travel there right now, I glued the pieces onto a backer board and framed it for my shop.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Dec-2020

Band Saw Jewelry Box

Band Saw Jewelry BoxFront and back is made from walnut with 3 layers of 3/4 inch birch plywood glued together to form the body.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Dec-2020

Bad day for Band Saw... Good day for Lathe

Bad day for Band Saw... Good day for LatheA good number of lathe projects finished today. Tried doing some additional Christmas ornaments on the band saw but popped a blade. Really need to figure out what I am doing wrong on it. After that happened I just decided to finish up all of my turned projects which included some new kits.
Secret compartment whistle key rings
Candle and fan pulls- fun kits, pulls made form Canary wood that I just got in the last swap. :)
Telescopic Magnetic pick up tool
Kaleidoscope/Teleidoscope- comes with the parts to do either other than having to wrestle some with the mirrors I really like these kits.
All came from Penn State.Hope you all had a productive weekend.CtL

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2020

Third turned bowl

Third turned bowlThis is the third bowl I turned, and the second made of birch. I managed to get the sides a little thinner, and the bottom thinner as well. I almost avoided tear-out on the end-grain sides of the bowl, only using the bowl gouge, but there was a little, so I sanded to clean things up.Turned this one in a single session in the shop. Maybe three hours total, including cutting it octagonal on the bandsaw, mounting it on the plate, cutting it free, and using the belt-sander to take off the last nubbin on the bottom.It's a little over 5 inches in diameter, and about 1- inches tall.Six coats of shellac, with some light sanding with 400 grit between the fourth and fifth coats. I'm trying to decide if I should pull out my French polishing kit and try to really put a nice finish on it, or whether this is good enough.Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2020

Quick Christmas decorations

Quick Christmas decorationsJust a few quick Christmas decorations I did this week.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2020

Maxine and Speedy

Maxine and SpeedyI carved this figure from basswood. I used an old photo for my guide. The photo depicts my mother in law holding a rooster named Speedy. She had just finished washing him for the 4H fair. My youngest son was showing for the first time the next day. Maxine had just pulled the rooster out of a bucket of soap water. He almost drowned! It was a tense situation. My dear mother in law took it in stride and revived ole Speedy.
This is the first carving I have done where I used some colored stain. I think it worked. I knew I had done something when my sister in law recognized Maxine instantly! The hat was stained with a dark stain. I learned something I had never thought of when I applied a drop of stain. Capillary action spread the strain onto the forehead! I had to recarve part of her face. Lots of lessons in this carving!

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2020

Limited space cutting board

Limited space cutting boardOur kitchen has very little counter space to prep and cook on. So I found inspiration online to make some more room.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2020

TWO CEDAR BURL BOWLS and other things

TWO CEDAR BURL BOWLS and other thingsA friend of mine that works in the logging industry dropped a couple shallow Western Red Cedar Burls this fall, as well as Yellow Cedar blocks. They gave me the inspiration to starts some work in the shop
This one was round and had enough wood for foot for the chuckIt turned into this, The contrast between sap wood and heart wood is attractive.The bottomThe other Burl was more attractive in the end but it had to be mounted way off center where there was enough wood. I felt I had to attach it with a faceplate and screws for fear of it coming off, It shook my lathe up allot, tool that I lay on the bed ended up on the floor.The color was great on this one, lots of variation caused by the grain of the burl. hard to capture with a photoAlso sent out some spurtles that where requested from a You Tube video I post long time agoRecycle1943 in the comments of the las project I posted said he was looking forward to seeing some innovated projects I built from scratch. This one is for him. I had an snowblower from an old lawn tractor, a motor I picked up cheap, and an old quad. Thought, why don't i put them all together and make something useful. This is not my original design that was in my head. If you don't work from a plan one can easily change and come up with most any thing and a way to fit the bill. When it snows more I will see if it works, we did have one big snow fall, but I had to get the big guns out. now it is warmer and with some rainOther than that I have one other innovative project that I tested out yesterday, just have to use it for a project soon, so stay tuned.Thanks for looking, more good things to come.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2020

Table Lamp Pair for AZ Home

Table Lamp Pair for AZ HomeI made a pair of table lamps for the guest room in our home in Oro Valley, Arizona.They are constructed of Walnut, Maple and Padauk. The finish is a coat of Zinzer unwaxed shellac followed by 4 or 5 coats of Deft Spray Lacquer – Satin and a coat of wax.In the first picture the parts are just stacked, not screwed in final position. Included in this photo is a mesquite window sill that goes in the kitchen window (I like it so much that may do more of the window sills).Second picture shows the bottom of the base and two of the caps. In the center of the base piece (maple) is a small hole that was drilled through both the upper (walnut) and lower (maple) base piece centers. An aligning pin was used during gluing to aid in aligning for clamping. After gluing a 1.125” hole was drilled through the base assembly to help run wires.They were finished them just prior to our flight back to Washington State to spend time with our son's family for Christmas.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2020

Comments:

Tote / caddy - for the allotment kitchen. (post)

Tote / caddy - for the allotment kitchen. (post)Tote / caddy
for the allotment kitchen.This is a tote, were made out of need in the beginning of the summer, as I were tired of bringing food from my gas fridge, into the kitchen in my wee allotment house, because I found my self running forward and backward several times.You can read more in the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131872
Pictures:
1. The tote.
2. Glue up.
3. Out in the sun.
4. Wood nails.
5. Tight shave.
6. Finally in the kitchen.

Hope it can be to some inspiration, who knows, perhaps less running…Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2020

SIGN prototype

SIGN prototypeCovid Project #27I wanted to rekindle my skills a little so I picked this project.
it is just a “prototype” for hopefully a larger all wood project in the future.
this one is High Density Urethane (HDU). I chose this material
because it is fairly soft and easy to carve and Bondo quickly covers any issues.
the back is 3/4” by 40” tall and 33” wide. it has a 3/4” skirt glued around the edge
to give the illusion that it is 1.5” thick.
the background is hand textured with hand carving tools. the top and bottom panels
are appliques glued to the main panel. the center ribbon is 1/8” PVC sheet that
was heat formed into shape. then a 3/8” HDU piece was carved with “SIGNS”
and glued to the PVC ribbon to give the illusion it is all one piece.
the bottom name panel is lightly glued to the main panel (in case someone wants
to buy it “as is” and put their name on it).
now – here is the wood part that brings it here:
the thin gold strip around the border is 3/16” wood dowels recessed half way into the panel.
it was all given a special latex primer and regular Valspar latex house paint for the brown.
the gold color is brass/bronze colored SignPainters Lettering Enamel.
I am not really fond of the black paint that was “misted” on the top part so I will be playing around
with different color combos just for something to do.
(my next door neighbor and his wife have the Covid Virus – so I am staying home as much as possible).
so, painting is my hobby – and this will give me something to do indoors.more photos are in the posts below.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2020

Rustic box

Rustic boxVery heavy wood, dont know what it is. Could be wattle ?
Again, acquired from the old cabinetmaker friend, and if it was something
he valued enough to keep, it might be something “of quality”. In which case
I havent done it justice.Don't like book-matching for lids, so used a leather that
matches some of the lighter-color wood.Have more of the wood, but no plans to cut it til it's time for the
saw to be sharpened anyway.
update: the saws went out for sharpening yesterday. “The master”
says he sends them every year about this time. Probably wont
slice the rest up til next November.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Dec-2020

Another Consul Table

Another Consul Table I got this slab at auction for $20 with another slab off of the same tree. The other is not live edge, different part of the tree, and will make a fine matching coffee table. 1 square tubing metal base with the mesh shelf.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Dec-2020

Mountain Dulcimer

Mountain DulcimerI recently finished building this mountain dulcimer and it is an absolute joy to play! Dulcimers are relatively simple to build, similar to a guitar but easier. It has a black walnut back/sides, peghead, and fingerboard, a reclaimed redwood soundboard, eucalyptus red gum binding, and a honey locust burl endcap. I purchased the fretboard from Folkcraft Instruments, but I did all the fretwork myself. The tuners are Gotoh; it also has a buffed wax finish.
Overall, this dulcimer has really sparked my interest in musical instrument build!
Thanks for looking, any comments or questions are welcome!
Dale MillerFor those interested in hearing it:
(Still uploading, may not play yet)

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Dec-2020

Plum vase

Plum vasePlum vase.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2020

Christmas Village - Knock Down Tiered Table

Christmas Village - Knock Down Tiered TableA friend wanted a three tier 52 x52 corner display table for his wife's Christmas village. It had to be knock down so I came up with this. Poplar frame (they'll paint it) and 1/2 Baltic Birch Plywood.
Holes for the electric cables. And they will drape it in a white snow like cloth.
It folds flat and when the tops hook into the dowels in the frame it's pretty rigid but still lightweight.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2020

First turned bowl

First turned bowlI got a lathe a while back, and a new chuck for it last week. I also had an 8/4×8 x 8 chunk of ash that had a knot on one end so I didn't want to use it for anything else. In between cutting and gluing up bookcases, I played with the lathe a bit and came up with this bowl.It's rough, and there are a couple catches as I was teaching myself to use a skew, but I'm pretty proud of it for a first effort.Finished with a couple coats of shellac, and that's it.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2020

50 year sign and story

50 year sign and storyIts been awhile but not 50 years since I posted a project, spring and summer was spent mostely out door, gardening and motorbiking on trails and roads in the mountains. Some places very challenging. Fall was busy getting ready for winter, its here now and will be spending more time in the shop \my wife of 50 years needs a hip replacement, so |||I am doing the meals and housework as well. Spending more time with her in the evening when I could be posting. but i will get this ball rolling tonight. My laptop quit, with all my pictures, new laptop now, another learning curve, The hard drive was OK so I worked all last evening finding and transferring these pictures with help.50 year anniversary drive by event.Our children ordered the metal part of the sign for a gift, then DAD had to make a frame for it, as you can see it is a simply constructed frame, but took me longer than I planned on. Since it would be outside I thought the frame should be cedar. I found a old old 2 by 6 in the attic of the shop. Been there for 45 years. covered in dust. It would clean up if I ran it through the planner. blades where dull but thickness sander would spruce it after, when it got to the end it made the planner made a quick roar. I thought oh there is a knot there, there was, | Flipped it over and cleaned up the other side. Same noise.
Yes there was a knot, well more than a knot….Looks like to me a very hard knotThe other side of the knot was equally hard.I had put off sharpening the blade for along time, fortunate. Moral of the story is don't sharpen your planner blades till you really have to. I sure am glad i didn't wreck newly sharpened blades.That was just one area of the blade. I had another set of blades so I chose to sharpen themThen the tedious job of installing the 20 inch blades. I can see why I hadn't done it earlier. While I had the grinder set up I decided to go ahead and sharpen the damaged ones, back and forth, back and forth. Eventually they came out good as newAfter that experience, I think it is time to do some wood lathing and then go for a bike ride. It grows on you.Other than that I have been experimenting with multi axis turning, will post a picture or so next time. Looking forward to working in the shop more this winter.Thanks for looking and comments appreciated'

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2020

Covid Christmas Sweaters

Covid Christmas SweatersI give ornaments to all the folks at businesses I frequent. This about half of them. Everyone gets to decorate their sweater in whatever motif they desire: lots of whittling! (No matter what I try, one pic comes out sideways)

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2020

Waving American Flag

Waving American FlagIf you'd like to completely spray your shop with sawdust , make this ! Loved it though! Jay

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2020