November 2020

Bear (dog?) glasses holder

Bear (dog?) glasses holderThis was a quick, fun little project. My younger daughter got her first glasses recently, and I thought she'd appreciate a glasses stand/holder. Googling around for ideas, I saw a very similar design to this for sale on Etsy, and immediately knew this was ideal for my bear-obsessed kiddo.Well, it was supposed to be a bear anyway—I thought I was being clever both in the oblong mouth (created using my circle-cutting jig set a bit wider than the stip of wood) and the ears (the offcuts from the legs), but the overall effect looks a little more dog than bear, I think. Ah well, it's cute, and I think she'll like it. I'm saving it for a Christmas present.Body, ears and nose are walnut; eyes, snout and glasses rest are maple, all leftovers from other projects. Finished with several coats of General Finishes Wood Bowl Finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Nov-2020

Comments:

What to do with those pesky cutoffs

What to do with those pesky cutoffsHad a bunch of 2×6 cutoffs from a farmhouse table project and my wife saw some of these type of things on pinterest so this is going to be our Christmas fundraiser this year. they measure 4 1/2” x 4 1/2”

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Nov-2020

Latest cars

Latest carsThese two cars are the latest projects. They are made using black walnut and maple, with other woods like padauk, coco bola, redwood, Brazilian cherry and bamboo for trim. Don't know why the photos are rotated?????

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Nov-2020

I.T. Workbench (aka) Work From Home Bench

I.T. Workbench (aka) Work From Home BenchThis was started in March, which is not technically pre-COVID, but before it was declared a pandemic….in other words, the bench was intended to go to my work place. I work in IT and build and configure computers…..Now it is my latest work at home bench.Low tech sketch-up:Construction is 90% from old Hard Maple gym floor:Joinery is 100% from the PantoRouter:The backboard has French Cleats in front of cork board – so dual purpose. Detail of the French Cleats:The drawer fronts are unique with grain matching gym flooring running vertical – some pics:There are a few screws in this one, but none structural, just to keep shelves in place, etc….Still need to build French Cleat fixtures….Plus have 2 monitor mounts to install.Now for my friends that got this far – my work has been crazy busy (too crazy busy) and hoping to catch up soon….Thanks for looking…...

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Nov-2020

2020 Knife Swap

2020 Knife SwapThe Fall 2020 Knife Swap was my first LJ Swap event, and my first time making a knife of any kind. I had a “Plan A” project, which was really too ambitious for my first knife project. I was wise enough to have a Plan B, which quickly became the new Plan A. It started with a Morakniv blade with hidden tang, bookmatched zebrawood scales for a handle and a set of brass pins, all sourced on Amazon.I drew a mock-up of a handle shape, thinking I would keep it simple. But looking at handle shapes I liked, I didn't think the zebrawood had enough width to make the flare I wanted on either end. So I rooted through my exotics bin and settled on a block of bocote. It has a strong contrasting grain, so I knew i had to orient the grain somewhat opposite the zebrawood.The bocote is a good bit harder than the zebra, so I shaped the bolster end first, on a 4” stationary belt and oscillating spindle sander, then marked and shaped the zebra to mate. The pieces matched well, but I added a green leather spacer, both to forgive any small irregularities and to create a contrasting border. The brass pin provided enough compression to keep the front assembly together and let the epoxy set.Next I shaped the butt end piece of bocote and then shaped the zebra to mate. I did have to add an internal pin to help link the tail piece to the body. Epoxying the tail pieces took a little creative taping and clamping.In the final shaping, I had to work the bocote first, then the transitions to the zebra body. The leather roughed up and stayed a little proud of the wood. I considered hardening it with CA and then sanding flush, but… I kinda liked the feel of it.It's finished with mineral oil/orange oil with beeswax buffed in – which is what I use for my tool handles. All in all it was a successful learning project and I hope was worthy of the LJ Swap tradition!

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Nov-2020

10 Days in Vejer

10 Days in VejerLast year I was lucky enough to visit a very good friend in Vejer de la Frontera, Andalusia, Spain. It's a wonderful place and we had a fantastic time.That trip was the inspiration for this box.I just wanted to recreate, in some small way, the visuals in Vejer and Andalusia. Brillaint tile work everywhere, unexpectedly narrow, steep streets, passageways, alleys, arches and rooftops at odd elevations, buildings skewed at angles to each other (there are no right angled corners in the box), Moorish architecture…I'll never forget that trip.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Nov-2020

Ash Blanket Chest

Ash Blanket ChestFrame and Raised Panel design, Lid has Bread Board ends. Lumber is Ash. There is a Aromatic Red Cedar floor. The small “Stash Box” on the end also serves as a prop for the lid. Lid is 28-1/2” long, by 17” wide, by 3/4” thick.Chest stands from the floor to the top of the lid at 24”. Stain is called Early American by Minwax, There is a coat of clear gloss poly, and coat of that stain as a glaze, then a second coat of the varnish. Black handle on each end.Brass “Piano” hinge. Under the 1/4” Cedar planks, there is a 1/4” plywood panel, glued and screwed to 1×2 cleatsMade as a Christmas Present for my Grandson's “Better Half”....hope she will like it…

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Nov-2020

Spalted maple table

Spalted maple  tableThis is a nice little dining table of spalted maple and eastern walnut, custom made for a couple in Kentucky it was finished with a hand rubbed linseed oil and beeswax .40x60

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Nov-2020

Round Pedestal Dining Table

Round Pedestal Dining TableThis was my first round table commission. My client requested a similar design to a table she saw in a popular furniture magazines catalogue but with a larger table size (60). We recreated the base and resized the top to her specs, she wanted poplar as she liked the color variations.The base features two large castle joints at the bottom and top of the center pillar. The diagonal supports are joined to the rest of the structure by 8mm domino tenons.The top is 1.75 thick and was cut to size using a 1/2 upcut spiral on a router and a 1-1/2 flush trim bit. We used steel c-channel to ensure this thing stays flat, held in by 3/8 threaded inserts and bolts (3 per 48 bar, of which there are two). We used a Minwax oil-base Silvered Gray stain followed up with a vinyl sealer and conversion varnish.Needless to say I just delivered this table a week ago and I already have 2 more clients lined up for the same thing.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Nov-2020

Cedar Table

Cedar TableMade from local St. Mary's County Maryland cedar.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Nov-2020

Walnut Box

Walnut BoxMade from remnants of a hardwood floor project.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Nov-2020

Arts and Crafts End Table

Arts and Crafts End TableI wanted to grow my woodworking skills so I picked a project for which I can learn to cut dovetails.I had some leftover wood from previous projects so I designed an end table that would use those. I looked up some Stickley designs, checked out Pinterest, and laid out some thoughts on SketchUp. Most of the techniques were familiar: mortice and tenon, curved legs, and resawing slats. Making a drawer, though, was a first. I watched Rob Cosman's 350 videos on fitting a drawer, Tom McLaughlin's series on his shaker side table, and a bunch of dovetail videos. I'm happy with my drawer except that it's a little tight in its hole. Over time, we'll also see whether I've accommodated wood movement well enough.I had to use a different finishing regime on this project that on previous ones. My old one was fine but, unfortunately, General Finishes discontinued the Early American stain on which it was based. I settled on a variant of Steve Erwin's approach. It gives me a really good color and it pops the grain and the figure in the wood but I'm unhappy with the level of blotchiness I get. I imagine it has something to do with my technique and I'll be practicing to try to improve that.Ultimately, though, I think I'm happy with my end table.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Nov-2020

Segmented Vase

Segmented VaseMy sister commissioned me to make a thank you gift for a good friend.
I had just discovered segmented turning and thought this would be a perfect time to try my first segmented project.
I could NOT get the segments the right size no matter what I did, so I bought this widget from a guy on EBay, made the jig and the pieces fit perfectly.
The results are spectacular, A LOT of work, a lot of pieces to glue up.
Piece of advice, if it's a bigger piece, glue up the bottom half, turn it and then glue up the top half, then glue it to the bottom half and turn the whole thing.
It makes doing the inside of the vase a breeze.
Oak (for the cool grain pattern) and Walnut for the solid color rings.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Nov-2020

Table saw sled

Table saw sledThe screw and pinion gear on my job site Porta Cable table saw ($169) which I bought in 2013 and have used for all of my projects as well as for several whole house remodels, finally gave up yesterday. Mindful that I'd gotten my money's worth out of it and having had aspirations for a more accurate saw with, perhaps more features I purchased a Dewalt work site saw for which I immediately had to build a sled. Used left over oak flooring cut down for the slides 3/4 oak plywood for the base, a piece of salvaged chestnut from a home remodel and now ready to finish the remaining Christmas gifts. Nothing fancy , like most of my shop, but accurate and functional.Not a tool review, but Dewalts rack and pinion fence is pretty sweet.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Nov-2020

Blue Pine Jewelry Cabinet

Blue Pine Jewelry CabinetSo here is my latest project. There have been a couple others in between that I have completed that I haven't posted. I really enjoyed this build. I love how it turned out. Built this one for a sister-in-law. This one is made totally from pine. I filled the knot hole in the door with epoxy. My first attempt at doing that. I hope that this one is as appreciated as the others that I have built. I think I am finally getting better with my dove tails. I love all the different colors in this one. Dimensions are 20 tall (20 1/2 with the feet), 7 1/2 wide and 6 1/4 deep. Drawer's are 6 3/8 W x 5 1/4 L x 1 1/2 D. Enjoy.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Nov-2020

Comments:

New axe handle fo daughter

New axe handle fo daughterWell our daughter called me one day and said Daddy can you make me an axe? Or clean up an old one for me? She had joined several campfires / been camping and ended up helping the boys build the fires. One boy even commented how she had bested another boy in a kindling splitting competition.
So I dug around the garage and found an old axe head & cleaned it up. Bought a hickory handle to re hang the axe but had to manipulate it to fit the head.
A friend of mine, who worked as a ranger in Yellowstone, shared a US Forest Service Axe maintenance manual with me. It is super interesting and full of best practices. ( if anyone is interested let me know and I can email it to you.) I followed this manual and after fitting the handle into the head, I soaked it in oil. Sanded down the handle with graduating levels of sandpaper.
Our daughter asked her name be burned into the handle & on the sheath as well.
The cow leather sheath has a piece of thick horse leather at the blade & is lined with sheepskin to keep the axe snugly in the sheath. Snaps shut.
She was pleased with the end result. Its rewarding to refurbish an old tool and bring new life in it. A bonus to meet a childs request.
Hope to look into crafting a new axe handle next time!

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Nov-2020

Grandson's 1st Wagon

Grandson's 1st WagonMy wife spotted this wagon in a catalog. She thought it was adorable and asked if I could make one like it. Besides a wagon it helps the child to learn to walk by holding on to the handle. I made a copy and got some measurements off of Amazon and went to work. I have about 12 hours in it but I started 3 weeks ago. Usually a project goes start to finish but there were a lot of interruptions on this one. I got it finished and my wife and I couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out. He won't be getting it till Christmas but while watching our grandson yesterday I decided to see if he liked it. Our daughter dropped him off so I went and got the wagon and put it in front of him. Instantly he crawled up to it, pulled himself up and started running all over the place with it. The bad part was taking it away from him before mom came back to pick him up. BAD GRANDMA AND GRANDPA. We took pictures of him pushing it and no one knows so it will be a good conversation on Christmas when he opens it. LOL.I entered some pictures below to show the build and progress.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Nov-2020

Carvers Tool Box

Carvers Tool Box Christmas gift for a family member

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Nov-2020

Beverage Pod Case for Daughter

Beverage Pod Case for DaughterLast month, my eldest daughter asked me to make a case for her coffee and provided a picture of one she saw on Walmart.com from Pioneer Woman. I figured I could make it just as nice so I said I would see what I could for her. I finally finished it yesterday and will need to store it until Christmas to keep it away from her – this is a first for me as she usually waits until the last minute to tell me her wishes.The base and top are made from Walnut while the sides are Ambrosia Maple. The drawer face is Basswood with a basic chip carving design (really need to practice it more often), a first time hand turned walnut knob, and Poplar sides. This is also my first attempt at cutting half-blind dovetails but I do like them. Inside the drawer, I used maple dowels as dividers and am giving her the ability to resize them as she wants to fit different objects. I wiped the entire project with a Walnut Oil finish then installed a tile mosaic that can hold her coffee cup.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Nov-2020

coffee/side table

coffee/side table I had done this some time ago, but never got around to posting. This was a commission (from my wife) for a cocktail table that could overhang the the couch surface and bring the drink closer to someone sitting against the backrest. Tried for a eclectic feel, with hand-carved legs and feet, and a bit of a minimalist top to it. M&T joinery, is actually stronger than it looks (although I wouldn't want you to sit on it). Certainly strong enough to hold my quarantini. :) Made a pair of them. A few mistakes along the way, including mismatching the lamination for the “duck feet.” Should have sprung for a solid piece, but was running out of lumber. White Oak with a Danish Oil finish.Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Nov-2020

Kitchen Shelving

Kitchen ShelvingSimple laminated fir with steel pipe legs.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Nov-2020

Just another Beer caddy

Just another Beer caddyQuick project with some leftover walnut and maple.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Nov-2020

The Little Helper

The Little HelperLittle folks like my grandson love to be part of the action in the kitchen. A stepstool or chair will do in a pinch but may not be the right height for comfort or may easily tip over. So here is my rendition of a platform stool to fill that need. There are many iterations out there at online sites so find one for your inspiration.
Constructed from 3/4” maple. Legs and rails are 3” wide. Domino joinery throughout. sanded to 100 grit. Two coats of KILZ primer scuff sanded between coats and then painted with two coats of General Finishes brushable enamel again with a scuff sanding between coats.
Dimensions: 34” tall 16” wide. the front leg is straight and the back leg has a 5 degree angle. 12” deep at the top rails and near 16” deep at the base The adjustable platform is about 14”x16” and fits in grooves at 12”, 14”, 16” and 18”.
So now it will be that much easier to help make cookies or cut up an apple for snacks Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Nov-2020

Stool

StoolBuilt from Wenge and Bubinga.

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Nov-2020

Kidney shaped desk

Kidney shaped deskMade from laminated white oak with a leather inset top.

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Nov-2020

Kennel Topper

Kennel TopperOne of the newer trends on a popular internet DIY site is custom pet kennels and kennel toppers. A friend of ours asked if we could make a topper for her dog kennel. Last spring we made a FarmHouse Desk for her and she asked for a kennel topper to match the wood of the desk.Nothing fancy here. No ornate routing or jointery. Just a flat board measuring about 45×31 inches. The top is made of thirteen each 3 and 4 inch boards glued up alternating the grain to resist warping. We made the top 3 inches wider and longer than the kennel. Then, centered 3/8 inch larger than the kennel dimensions, we routed a 1/4×1/4 inch dado into the bottom side. Into the dado was glued a 1 inch x 1/4 inch strip of wood extending down as a 3/4 inch skirt to keep the top in place should the topper get bumped into, or the dog were to get rowdy inside.Breadboard ends were installed to cover the end grain of the topper. The breadboards are secured to the top by four pocket hole screws installed from the top into each breadboard. (Breadboards are typically not glued in place to allow for different rates of expansion between the top and the breadboard. This way they can expand at their own rate without cracking or breaking anything. There are several typical methods used to secure breadboards, screws being one method).A 1/8 inch round-over bit was run around the top edges to break the sharp edges.As with the FarmHouse desk, the new owner will complete the finish sanding and apply a finish to match the FarmHouse desk.First time to do breadboards. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Nov-2020

Outdoor Cooking Island

Outdoor Cooking Island A few months ago I had a hot tub here. The wife and I didn't use it much anymore so we sold it and I built this cooking island. I utilized the 50 amp service I had for the spa for 4 dedicated 20 amp receptacles for all the crock pots the wife could throw at it. Will make large family gatherings much easier once this COVID BS is over with. The Island has storage for tubs of dishes etc. drawers for all my cooking utensils and a cupboard for foil pans. Lighting is track lighting LED on a dimmer. LED mood lighting under the edge of the countertop all the way around. A 2 burner propane gas cooktop. Challenge was finding heart redwood vertical grain for the doors. Finished with 2 coats of tung oil followed by 3 coats of spar urethane.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Nov-2020

Comments:

Mobile stand key ring - less is plenty

Mobile stand key ring - less is plentyMobile stand key ring
less is plentyHi LJ's,
Here a small project you can make with the kids, as Christmas gifts, to use small scraps, or just for the fun of it, as I did.A simple mobile stand key ring, any piece of hardwood scrap will do, cut to fit your mobiles width, I gave the rabbet a small angle, so the mobile stands firm in the stand, then shape ut how ever you like and give it some finish.Here a piece of bog oak, from the Danish viking museum Sagnladet Lejre, a woodworking friend had the luck to get a few pieces and gave me one, so every little off cut gets a use.
I gave it Danish oil and polished it up, after shaping it on a sander.
Made a handful of these, in different woods, my wonderful friend Claus got one and a few other friends as well as my daughter, will get the rest.
Pictures:
1. Mobile in stand.
2. Less is plenty.
3. Side view.
4. Handy…
5. No more lost keys or mobile…
6. From back.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.Hope it can be to some inspiration, or even a few mobile stand key rings.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Nov-2020

Plant bench

Plant benchWife wanted a bench for her plants. Top shelf and legs are black walnut. Bottom shelf is rainbow poplar. Finished with Minwax Antique oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Nov-2020

Pens for Church workers

Pens for Church workersHad these sitting a few weeks. Finally had time to do them today.Here are two Diamond Cast Zen pens, for a couple of women who work hard behind the scenes of Para-Church organization. One of the things I try to do is gift church workers/preachers/missionaries, a high quality hand made pen. In thanks for their hard work and sacrifice.10K Gold Zen with Blue Macaw Diamond Cast
Chrome Zen with French Quarter Diamond CastPictures just don't do these Diamond Cast Justice.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Nov-2020

Wine bottle

Wine bottleThis was made from purple heart. 3” X 12” in size. Taking a break from flat work Christmas presents.
Comments welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Nov-2020

Michigan Adirondack chair

Michigan Adirondack chairMade this for a friend to give to her daughter for Christmas

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Nov-2020

Michigan cutting board

Michigan cutting boardI use a CNC to cut these out. The outline is the exact replica of the Michigan shoreline from a map. The saying No Place Like Home was done with 5.5W blue laser.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Nov-2020

Tall kitchen pantry

Tall kitchen pantry This is a very tall pine pantry I made for a friend. About 88 by 19 by 24. The door was very heavy due to it having shelves for canned good. Finally had to use a piano type hinge to keep it aligned. Did a little wood burning to dress it up a little bit. Materials were about 200.00 but it was a fun project and my friend loved it.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Nov-2020

Murphy Bed in Beer Room

Murphy Bed in Beer RoomI needed a spare bedroom and decided to make something that fit will with my beer kegerator and glasses display. Thus this idea for a Murphy bed. Not my first project, but probably my best so far.
Not sure why, but the photo upload is turning the full size picture sideways.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Nov-2020

Chamfer Guide for Block Plane

Chamfer Guide for Block PlaneI often enjoy using my hand tools instead of power tools. Making chamfers by hand is one good example, but I do a better job on some days than others. In this video, I build a 'chamfer guide' – something I find helpful when trying to chamfer the edges on a relatively long workpiece. I make two prototypes with the 2nd being much better than the first. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/KAwGAm1T9nM

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Nov-2020

Credenza for Home Office

Credenza for Home OfficeHello all,My most recent post was my new executive desk for my home office. My home office recently has taken on a new importance for a couple of reasons. First, in March, I left my job after 11 years with the company in order to open my own business. The timing was certainly interesting as it was JUST pre-Covid craziness and shutdowns. On one hand, being unemployed throughout the shut down led to a LOT of time in the shop. Unfortunately, as my house is pretty full after a few years of woodworking, there were very few projects that I could build that really interested me.After making my career change, the need for a truly functional home office took on a new importance. An added benefit of the home office update was the ability to have an entire room full of furniture to build. The existing office furniture was repurposed from other areas of the house. As an example, the desk was actually a coffee table that had a rising top designed to allow you to eat on it. The bookcases that were in the office were particle board units that I bought from Lowes over a decade ago. Building replacements for all existing office furniture would feed my project list for a few months.After completing my desk, I decided that the next area that needed attention was the bookcases. I have 2 bookcases side by side behind my desk. As I am sure many of you understand, working virtually has led to an increase in video calls and meetings. The bookcases look nice behind me, but in reality, the face frame of one is held on with tape, and the other has started to separate at the bottom. I wanted my new bookcase to be cabinets on the bottom, with a wide top and then book storage on shelves above.In replacing my existing bookcases, I wanted to carry over certain design elements from my desk. Again, I would use 2×12s for lumber. The stain would remain the same – Minwax Red Oak. I wanted the same 2×2 legs with coves on exterior corners and curves on the bottom stretchers. The sides and back would be 3/8 panels glued up from 2x stock and the doors would be frame and panel, again with 3/8 glued up panels. In order to stay organized, I started with a rough drawing (ignore my total lack of drawing ability and the sketches of other desks – my desk build has given my wife desk envy). When I do draw out a rough sketch/plan, I like to tape it to a cabinet in the shop for reference.I decided to build this project in 2 pieces and started with the bottom, what I am calling a credenza. I wanted the unit to be the same width as the desk, 66,with the top having a 1/2 overhang on either side. The height would be the same as the desk at 31. I also wanted the base to have a usable storage depth of approximately 11, and after accounting for the unusable space created by frame and panel centered on large legs, the overall depth ended up at 13 1/2.I joined all structural pieces to the legs with mortises and tenons. Over the years,I have struggled with loose fitting joinery due to inaccuracies that I created while cutting the joinery. For instance, I used to use my drill press and a Forstner bit to remove most of the waste on mortises, and then square up the mortises with chisels. I have also used routers with spiral bits and an edge guide to cut mortises, but if the bit wasn't wide enough to complete the mortise in one pass, the second pass invariably varied from piece to piece. This time, I decided to pull my 3 1/2 hp Triton out of my router table and use it with a 1/2 bit to cut my mortises in one pass. Also, after setting the edge guide, I didn't adjust it, even if it didn't line up EXACTLY with my layout lines. As usual, I used my Freud box joint blades to cut my tenons. The difference made with these few adjustments was remarkable!Further, in the past, I have squared up my mortises with chisels as opposed to rounding off my tenons. It has always seemed to me that it would be easier to do it this way. As I am not a chisel master, this inevitably led to further inconsistencies. On this project, I rounded my tenons with a rasp, and WOW, that is SO MUCH FASTER AND MORE ACCURATE!!!!!! As you can see in the photo below, the only challenge that I had using this method was that I was a little loose with my rasp and left myself a slightly ragged edge on the shoulders of the stretchers. I cut all grooves to accept my glued up panels using the same box joint set.I decided that I wanted to used inset doors. This project is the first time that I have used this technique on a project that mattered. I have inset doors on a couple of shop cabinets, but the stakes were certainly higher here. Once all is said and done, the doors worked, but I am not thrilled with the reveal on all sides. The tops don't line up perfectly, and I would like a smaller reveal. In the future, I think I will build them slightly oversized so that I can perfect the fit with hand planes. I cut the mortises for the butt hinges on the table saw, using a technique that I learned from Mike Peckovich where you raise the blade to the appropriate height and slide the workpiece back and forth over the blade to remove the waste. I used a Forstner bit to drill a recess for a magnet on the backside of each door. After using epoxy to secure the magnets, I attached a wood screw on the shelf to ensure that the doors stay closed.
When it comes to finishing, I have not always done a great job. Like most woodworkers, I hate sanding and have always struggled with glue squeeze out. Over the past several projects, I have refined my methods into a system that is working well for me. First, I like to complete the my projects fully before doing any glue ups (with the exception of panel or thickness glue ups) or sanding. This includes all fitting of parts, joinery and edge profiling. After completing this process, I like to sand ALL pieces at the same time. I've begun marking all pieces with a pencil to gauge my progress, and use this method all the way to 220. Depending on the size of the project, this could take a few days!Next comes staining (at least until I start using real hardwoods instead of SYP…). Again, depending on the size of the project, this step can present challenges as I like to apply stain to all pieces at once. I work in an 2 car garage. I finally broke my wife of the notion that we should park in the garage, and have the luxury of a large workbench that is 79 x 30 and an outfeed table that is the full length of my table saw giving me a total working area of roughly 72 x 67. Even with all of this space, I still ended up pulling out a rolling shop cabinet and my router table (both live in recesses below my miter saw station) in order to have enough space for all parts.Before I begging applying any finish, I tape off all joinery to ensure that the finish doesn't effect the glue.I apply stain with a t-shirt scrap, finishing with strokes in the direction of the grain. I generally apply at least 2 coats.

After applying stain, I use either Arm-R-Seal or Minwax poly thinned with mineral spirits. I apply a minimum of 3 coats with 0000 steel wool sanding between each coat.After completing all staining and poly, I move on to gluing up my pieces. The reason that I like to glue up after finish is that glue won't stick to finish! Instead of dealing with glue discoloration in stained projects, I let the glue dry totally, and then I can just peel it off my workpiece with no issues.Overall, I am happy with the first half of this project. Next up, I will be building the bookcase that will sit on top of the credenza. I will post that upon completion. I have lots of pics that I am going to add below.Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Nov-2020

Sign for Sister in-Law

Sign for Sister in-LawThis is the housewarming gift I made for the sister & brother in-law. It took quite a while for her and I to get to sit down and design it. The biggest problem, was the Title.All my signs are free hand routed, from patterns I create, and transfer to wood. My Handsome One does the poly and helps with painting of the lettering/designs. He also does a lot of the sanding. It's a team effort, usually.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Nov-2020

Christmas Craft Show 2019

Christmas Craft Show 2019Had a chance to get into the craft fair at work last year; These are the items I was able to get completed and take. Also made the framed displays. Too bad there won't be one this year

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Nov-2020

3/4" Maple wood bolts and nuts

3/4" Maple wood bolts and nutsFor my hand-cranked scissors lift platform project, I had some 3/4” maple wood dowels left over that had been soaked for 7 days in mineral oil. I could not resist the temptation to make some bolts and nuts for the grandkids to play with :)Although the dowels had been soaked in Mineral Oil for 7 days, the nuts were made from dry maple. I did spray on some WD-40 as my thread cutting lube as I tapped the holes.The 1.5” PVC tube is what I used to soak the dowels in mineral oil for 7 days….before threading.I used the wood lathe to turn on the rounded shoulders on my wood nuts, just like the steel nuts and bolt heads have.For more details, see my woodworking web site using this link.Now that I have learned how to thread wood, I will have to incorporate some wood threads in future hand-cranked models I build.Thanks

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Nov-2020

First Inlay Cutting Board

First Inlay Cutting BoardThis was my first attempt at in inlay cutting board. I made it for my daughter as a house warming gift for her first apartment. The board is rock maple, cherry, padauk, and zebra wood. The inlay is katalox and maple.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Nov-2020

Comments:

Redwood cap and rail fence

Redwood cap and rail fence Redwood cap and rail fence. The 2×4 posts are bolted into the wall. The wall had two tiers that stepped down. Sealed with Olympic clear coat sealent per homeowners request.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Nov-2020

Hanging Tool Cabinets

Hanging Tool CabinetsA project that never stops! I started building the main cabinet using Michael Pekovich's plans three years ago. I soon realized a single cabinet wasn't enough, so added two additional single door cabinets to each side. Then came the display shelves between the cabinets. I continually modify the various tool holders and lay out as my tool collection changes, this in itself is a lot of fun!
My turning chisels are enclosed in a tilting block with wooden hinges. All dovetails by hand. Rare earth magnets hold the chisels.
The timber is all Fijian Mahogany, with some veneers of Honduras Figured Mahogany. Raised panel doors for the exterior, internal doors used shop made veneers. All drawer pulls and handles my first attempts at turning. Some french polishing, but mainly finished using Osmo.
It has been a learning journey which continues.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Nov-2020

Stanley Bailey No. 7 Plane Restoration

Stanley Bailey No. 7 Plane RestorationI couldn't figure out where this should be posted, but saw that there were several refurbished hand planes in the projects library and decided to put it here. I apologize if it's the wrong place, it's not very clear where to post it…...I guess it has wood handles and sure as heck was a PROJECT for me! :)I finally got back to finishing up my No. 7 Stanley Bailey Hand Plane after setting it aside about a year ago. Purchased on eBay and it was in rough shape. I started to flatten the sole and found that it was WAY off. I worked on it so long that I just tapped out and put it up.I pulled it out 3 days ago and spent about another 5 hours getting the sole flat and my arms are feeling it!Completely stripped, painted, lubed, sharpened, and buffed everything.I love to breathe new life into old tools and appreciate using them knowing the work that I put into it. I'm not a Stanley Plane historian, but “think” this Type 19 (1948-61). I refurbished a No.8 about a year ago and have it next to the No. 7 in the photo. I purchased the Veritas A2 replacement blade for the No. 8 and will probably do so for the No. 7. They are much thicker and cut extremely well.The original blade did pretty well after getting it all tuned and sharpened up.Enjoy,
-Hutch

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Nov-2020

Stanley 71 Router Plane Box from Pine & Meranti

Stanley 71 Router Plane Box from Pine & MerantiI made this box last year after I got my Stanley 71 router plane from ebay and restored it a little. I was just getting into box making at this time, but I did spend a lot of time on this box to get everything right. I actually made a box for the router plane before this but screwed up the measurements and it ended up being a tad bit too small to fit everything.I made quote a few mistakes with this one, but covered them up. Let's just say that the meranti inlay for the lid was never in the plan, but there were some pretty horrible tearout there that I wanted to hid.If I do this box again, I will make it a bit thinner and probably not use pine at all.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Nov-2020

Chart Hat Box

Chart Hat BoxI just built this hat box for a newly selected Coast Guard Chief. He came to me with an idea to incorporate a marine chart on the inside of the box and certificates from special events in his career like crossing the Equator and going above the Artic Circle. I used my CNC machine to cut pockets for the certificates. Our laser machine was used to cut pieces of acrylic to fit in the pockets and hold the certificates in place. The glass on the front was also laser engraved with USCG emblems chosen by the customer. These images were reversed and cut on the inside of the glass leaving the outside nice and smooth. The top has rank, rate and warfare devices imbedded along with the individuals name VCarved into the wood. The chart on the inside covers the bottom, both sides and the back (also covered by acrylic) and includes the exact area where the recipient is stationed. A puck light was installed on the inside to illuminate the Chiefs Cover. We also designed and cut an acrylic stand that holds the hat 1” off the bottom of the box creating a floating effect. The customer provided the ideas, I did all the woodwork and my wife did all the laser work. Together I think the three of us came up with a really nice hat box and an heirloom to be passed down for generations.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Nov-2020

Chess Board from Christmas 2019

Chess Board from Christmas 2019I was looking through my project list and I realized that I had not added this to “My Projects”.This is a Chess Board that I made for my youngest son last Christmas. The frame is Cherry and the field is Maple & Walnut. This was one of those skill building projects for me. The field fits tight in the frame and the frame is perfectly square.I also reinforced the corners with maple splines, another first for me.It was a fun project that pushed me out of my comfort zone a little.He loves it so all is good.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Nov-2020

Trash can enclosure

Trash can enclosureIn order to get the trash can out of the garage, I built this enclosure. all the ones in the neighborhood used Hardyboard siding, the same as on the houses. Home depot would not cut the 12' pieces so I could haul them without breaking – would damage their saw blade.I happened to walk past the cart with scrap wood, and there were a lot of 8” wide pieces of shiplap, with the corners damaged. Marked 70% off regular price. What I noticed was the back side with the milled striations; this would look great installed vertically. Even though it is intended for interior use, I took a chance.I painted each piece with copper napthanate wood preservative (mmmmm, that army tent smell). To prevent escessive water from entering through the top grain, I made pieces of pine with a rabbet that lapped over the tops of the shiplap, with the upper surface sloped 30 degrees to shed water. Sealed it against the framework with silicone caulk.The result turned out nicely – and it does not look like all the others.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Nov-2020

Comments:

Systainer router table - horizontal router table

Systainer router table - horizontal router tableSystainer router table
and Festool MFT vertical / horizontal router table.
(Extra long title, laugh).Systainer router table?
A router table, that can be stored in the router systainer (tools box), used with the systainer as a small on site router table, but also used in the workshop, as a small vertical and horizontal router table.
Almost sounds too good to be true, but I actually pulled it off!This post is from the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131768The project were made out of need, since I realized, I were using my palm router quite often, in a really stupid way, yes and of course also out of pure joy.
Pictures:
1. Systainer router table.
2. Ready to route.
3. All can be stored in the systainer.
4. Top used as a horizontal router table Domino light.
5. Mounted as router table extension.
6. Saw horse / work surface use.

Hope you are all good, even the pandemic is still raging all over the planet.Hope it can be to some inspiration, or even better some systainer router tables.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Nov-2020

Your Move

Your MoveI finished up the second Chess Board I have made this morning. I used Cherry and Walnut for the squares and Cherry and Yellowheart for the frame.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Nov-2020

Stanley #888 Tool Box, 3

Stanley #888 Tool Box, 3Couldn't find exact matches for handle and hinges. These were realitively close. Happy with how it turned out.Thank you Smitty from Smitty Cabinets for sending me measurements from your original.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Nov-2020

Stanley #888 Tool Box, 2

Stanley #888 Tool Box, 2Corner joints came out pretty good

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Nov-2020

Radiator Cover

Radiator CoverOur house has radiant heat from big cast-iron hot-water radiators. The heating is lovely, but they're kinda ugly. I built this cover for the radiator in our dining room, to give us a little sideboard.Body is ash, top is ash, walnut and mahogony. The whole thing is finished with several coats of Watco Danish oil, and I added four coats of satin lacquer to the top.I'm rather pleased with the top—this was my first time attempting breadboard ends. Having breadboard ends with a breadboard middle (is that a thing?) was perhaps overkill, particularly since there's not much overhang. This was partly for aesthetics, and partly to compensate for difficulties I've had flattening long boards on a short jointer. But, with regular heat fluctuations from the radiator, any little bit helps, I figure. I do plan on putting some insulation between the radiator and the top, perhaps closed in with aluminum foil, both to protect the top a bit and to keep the heat headed out into the room instead of warming the space under the top.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Nov-2020

peanuts bed for baby

peanuts bed for babyhttps://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNYylMKIoXfikghQGmPLWilH5wIVg5solZi2uhDIz0dh9F0aTtcQniC_J8pyczekg?key=blBXMVR2UFdwdTNsRy1zREpHUUZITGRfMzVwX1Nnhttps://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMC1VWOpr9rxrbggucjunr9CdxWh0Zs3AwXdKpZHxoN_9NTPvekeswi5gOc_PnRZA?key=azNHMmlTQXFpaFdjd3FOazVaX1o2UFRZVnVTaEhB

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Nov-2020

They are with us

They are with usThey are with us. Christmas gifts for children. Children sometimes come to my workshop.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Nov-2020

Antler plaque

Antler plaqueI never really liked the cookie cutter, generic plaques often used by taxidermists. I recently made a new plaque for this one from 1994. It is “rustic” cherry. A little rough around the edges but definitely one of a kind.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2020

Comments:

First try at a grain trailer!

First try at a grain trailer!  Finished up the grain trailer. Took a little longer than I had hoped but it was a fun build. My 85 year old father in law stopped by as I was adding the rear and front ladders and the tarp crank. He was impressed at the details. Coming from him, makes me feel great as his wood working skills are masterful.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2020

Lathe accessories box

Lathe accessories boxI bought a lathe last Friday. It's the Harbor Freight 12×33 inch model, and it came with the usual bits; there's the face plate, the tool rest extension, and a handful of wrenches the you need to get the thing put together. Plus I'll be getting another chuck for it. So I had those parts laying around.Rather than losing them, I built a small pine box to keep them all together. As you can see in the first picture, it fits nicely on the lathe stand, and once it finishes drying, I'll add a pair of cleats to the bottom so it'll be nice and secure there.The box is dovetailed, with a raised panel bottom that rides in grooves in the sides of the box. The lid is piston-fit and just butt-jointed. Most of the pine is 3/4 stuff, but the edges of the lid were resawed to a little under 3/8”.Finish is two coats of shellac. I may apply a coat of soft wax yet, but more likely I'll just leave the shellac.Total time? About 3 hours, not counting waiting for the glue to dry.Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2020

Comments:

Another Laser Box I've turned to.

Another Laser Box I've turned to.Boys and Girls,I have accused C19 for many of my misgivings, however, I cannot continue my vendetta here.On the 10th. November 2020, Assassins Creed Valhalla will be released and to me that is more restrictive than any C19 lockdown I will be going into a trance and self-imposed imprisonment on bread and water to play the game I might even take a sabbatical from the vino.Consequently I must release this project in the next few days.I purchased a Woodpecker Pen Mandrel kit and was pissed at not getting a poopsie black plastic Woodpeckers boxTime for Sketchup,
(animated video of the build), CorellDraw
and Trotec software to laser engrave and cut some bits of MDF to toss about into a makeshift box.The kit came with an instructional set to depict what bushes fit what kit I transposed that to the top of the box (and added some extra text),

This was laser engraved (2 passes),

ebony woodfiller filled,

and sanded (3 passes, different grits). Then it was re-alligned on the laser and the border cut out.
To supplement the full mandrel length with my design, I had about 7 spare slots for bushes
Wont bore you to tears with my construction method, which I'm sure most will appreciate and if it's new to you, please follow some of my previous laser boxes threads there should be enough to satisfy the most discerning individuals out there but here's a sneak peek tantiliser for those two lazy to chase threads,

Mom always insisted I eat my greens I still don't (eat my greens), but do flock in green.
I did take the liberty to install the bushes retainers on self documenting spindles so they can be removed and totally screw me up if replaced in the wrong spot. Holy confusion fatman…
The spindles were a pain as there were 36 of them and consisted of laser cut and engraved collars,

and 6mm dia. dowels,

which were rounded over using this gizmo,

(a review maybe, after Valhall).For anyone paying close attention, you may have noticed that I repeated my box top doco with 2 Chalk holder bushes,

Too bloody lazy to remake the lid with the correct entry, I hand wrote the correction underneath the lid. Unfortunately it was illegible… not sure whether that was because of shaky hands from
too much vino or just failing eyesightHmm, I decided to engrave it instead… Had an inspirational moment and decided to engrave and cut an insert,

with several 6mm holes to store the spindles while using the bushes

I made a couple of extra holes so I could line up any other bushes sets if I was on a production line of different pens clever I thought, even if you didn't.As always I'm sure not everyone into woodworking has a laser, however, there should be one or two laser/CNC owners out there that my get some ideas from this and I'm not suggesting duck hunting.My Viking Valhalla action figurine just arrived,

Now all I have to do is hit the [Post this project] button and simply wait till tomorrow to start playing my gameKeep safe.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2020

Osage Orange and Walnut Bench

Osage Orange and Walnut BenchMade this last year from a huge slab of Osage Orange and Walnut from NJ, USA. The Osage Orange usually don't get this big, so it was a cool find from my lumber guy. I got a little crazy with the design idea, but in my mind it was a good bye to my sailboat. The entire bench is asymmetric following the slab, and mimicking a sail – low/ wide/foot of sail to high/narrow head of sail.
I know , many people don't get it – and when people walk in the room it's a love or hate relationship with that piece.
Oh well.
The Osage has since darkened to an awesome caramel color.And I still am frustrated with how to rotate pictures on this web site ….

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2020

PICTURE WINDOW TREATMENT

PICTURE WINDOW TREATMENTNov 8, 2020This is a simple project that I thought Id share cause there may be others out there that can use this concept.The problem is how to hang mini blinds or window shades over a window.In my case SWMBO wanted shades for this picture window in our new sunroom. We started with no shades over it until we realized that in the afternoon the sun came right in and if you were sitting in a chair near that window it got you right in the eyes.The solution was to make a valance to go over the top of the window. This is a view of the valance sitting on a table upside down.This is another view of the top of the valance.The valance is simple to make. It is made from 4-1/4 inch base board and 3-5/8 inch crown molding. The cover of the valance is 1/4 inch plywood. What you dont see are the triangular blocking that I installed to help secure the crown molding to the base board.Screwed to the header above the window is a mounting board. It is a 2 inch wide 3/4 inch thick and is the same length as the window trim it is mounted above.It is painted the same color as the walls so it is almost invisible. On the top edge of the board are pins that stick out about 1/2 inch.On the top cover of the valance I drilled matching holes that slip over the pinsThe board serves several purposes. Besides serving as a means to hang the valance it also is a good place to mount window shades (or mini blinds). Since the board is thicker than the window trim whatever you mount on them will drop nicely in front of the window.Once the window shades (in this case these are cordless cellular fabric shades) are installed the valance is slipped over the pins on the board. Gravity dows the rest.This is what the complete installation looks like. When the shades are up they hide behind the valance.This is what the they look like when drawn down. We couldnt find shades that were long enough for the window so we used 2 shades.Hope this simple project gives you another idea of how you could dress up your windows and earn points from your SWMBO.Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2020

Graduation Gifts, ahead of schedule

Graduation Gifts, ahead of scheduleWife and I discussed me making pens for all the nieces and nephews. There will be a total of eight needed over the years. I have two nephews graduating this coming year. We really like those wood tones with bluish acrylics. So I asked, Eugene Soto, to make me a dozen Mutt blanks.These are two of them. We decided however to make all the boys this kind with the Jr. Gent, Rhodium. But we'll make the girls Zen pens with Diamond Cast. I'll just work on them over the next year. Just in case something happens to me… they will all get a pen for graduation.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2020

LUMBERJACKS BOOT - Cypress Wood

LUMBERJACKS BOOT - Cypress WoodHad this last bit of Cypress given to me from a wood chip dealer. So I decided to call this boot in his honour, hence Lumberjack. He may even be a Lumberjock!
Cypress is an interesting wood to carve and the coloration and grain is most interesting. It finishes well showing a lot of colour and grain. It is quite sappy so the carving and shaping is a challenge. Carving bits and sandpaper tend to clog up quickly.
Just got the project finished in time before the snowstorm hit. Got into the house from my carving studio and was welcomed with a two fingered shot of Scotch from my wife. Bless her!Enjoy!
Carving will be postponed for a few days to let the storm pass over. My Scotch supply is adequate!

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2020

Goodell Mfg. miter box

Goodell Mfg. miter boxFinished at last! I expected this restoration to take a couple of days, it took nearly a month. As I disassembled it and took photos as I went, I thought I would never get all the pieces back together. By the time it was finished I could assemble it blindfolded.This a Goodell Manufacturing Co. miter box; it was manufactured on the 1904 patent, and was shown in this configuration in a 1912 advertisement in Western New England Magazine .This is one of the tools I received from the neighbor (thanks, again). It was a bit rusty, caked with grease and grime, etc. Each part was cleaned with Krud Kutter, the rust slowly removed with vinegar and/or a brass brush and white Scotchbrite pad. Several burred screw heads were peened and reshaped. The paint was removed , the steel degreased and sprayed with DuraColor semi-gloss High Temperature Engine Enamel, matching the original. Overall, it was a series of slow processes, in an effort to get it right. Some of the parts, and especially the platens, were blasted with fine walnut shell medium; the platens took a loooong time.Frankly, I found the most difficult part to be painting the orange line around the base! The only paint I could find that matched was Chevy Engine Orange, and it was acrylic, which made getting an eve coat difficult.This tool is in remarkable condition; only 2 pieces were missing. The stop on the right (with the orange tip) was replaced with one made from 1/4 steel stock. The other item is the rear depth stop that holds the saw above its normal track in order to make a partial depth cut. I will make a replacement when I can locate some 1/16 steel; that will take some time.Once finished, the saw installed and adjusted, it cuts like a dream ! I may use it tomorrow on half lap joints for the gate for a trash can enclosure.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2020

Five Trunks

Five TrunksFive Trunks

• Mostly per Andrew Crawford's Book of Boxes
  • Curly Maple
  • Crossbanding (straps)
  • Custom brass lid lift
  • Antiqued hinge
Please enjoy these pictures.Crossbanding meat is Bolivian Rosewood:
Sandwiched between black and white veneer stacks:
Then ripped 1/32 thick:
The lift is brass bar stock, darkened:
Glued in position:
Drilled, chamfered and pinned:
Peened to fill chamfered hole:
Smoothed until the face is shiny again:
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2020

Little Brass Hammer

Little Brass HammerI saw a post of a brass hammer made from a brass plumbing fitting. Someone posted you can buy a brass head from Penn State Industries. So I looked it up 12.95 for that hammer head kit. Good deal I thought, so I bought it and turned the handle from some walnut scrap I had. One coat of BLO so far. The kit includes a threaded rod, drill a 1/2 hold and epoxy the threaded rod in the handle and finish off the turning that fits your hand. Hammer is about 10” long.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2020

Chess piece storage

Chess piece storage With my recent chess board thought it may be nice to have a box to store the pieces. Similar wood but tried to capture the wood features also – I had some nice curly maple and some figured walnut . The inner sections was done with some 1/8 walnut that was 2 wide to form the separation for all the pieces.The top marking was done slowly with a 1 /8 bit and back filled with some black timbermate filler covered with CA sealant.Hopefully will keep the chess pieces from running away ,,,,

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2020

Miter Crosscut and Tapering Jig

Miter Crosscut and Tapering JigHello folks,
I have finished my first miter crosscut and tapering sled, I used my Incra 1000 SE miter gauge for this sled to ensure accurate cuts every time.If you wish to see more details about this build please check this link:https://youtu.be/ZRKl-07yf4U

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2020

Comments:

Back in the shop after hurricane

Back in the shop after hurricaneGot the bus finished so back to playing with the scroll saw. :-]
I really liked this pattern of the owls.
Been out of power for a couple a days [hurricane] and had no internet for 6 and man that really hurts the Lumber Jocks addiction. LOL

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2020

4-way Elm Wrapped

4-way Elm Wrapped4-way Elm Wrapped box

• Carpathian Elm burl veneer four-way book matched
  • On 9-ply Baltic birch
  • Miter folded (router table) then corners chamfered to reveal birch “stringing”
  • Horton Brassworks hinges
  • Custom lid stays from 1/8 brass bar and rod
  • Wenge frame base and lid lift
  • 10×6 x 5.5 H inches
Pictures:
top:
back:
left-side:
right-side:
open:
hinge and stay zoom:
corner zoom:
bottom:
lid stays:
book matched panel before folding:
Thanks for any comments and suggestions.Full sized pictures are here: https://adobe.ly/2IbHEMH

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2020

Miter spline sled

Miter spline sledI made this miter spline sled for cutting splines on boxes. I think it will work well on picture frames but have not used it in that way thus far.https://youtube.com/channel/UCSyk1Df3CdsHEBKX1KlCnjw

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2020

Clamp Cart

Clamp CartMade a rolling clamp cart for my clamps. Rolls ok, and is short enough to fit under the end of my table saw. Drawer opens either direction, and I've rubbed some dark walnut danish oil on it just for fun since I took these pictures. The top has paste wax, everything else is just sanded. I like how the bar clamps are really organized with those slots. With the wheels on the outside, I have hung a few small squeeze clamps on the outside.Made using scrap plywood a friend gave me. I did have to buy the wheels tho.It works ok, but the bar clamps fall off more easily than I'd like. I adjusted the top shelf thing for the bar clamps so that it tipped up more and that helped. My best idea for fixing that problem would be to add a second panel in the middle, and slope both panels out at the bottom, instead of one vertical panel.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2020

"The beast" pizza peel

"The beast" pizza peelI built this peel for an Etsy customer who wanted a large peel with specific measurements: 20” wide, 24” paddle, and a 20” handle, overlength 44”. I call it “the beast”. This thing is massive and definitely takes two hands to handle it empty. The 2nd picture shows it compared to one of my normal peels. Shipped it off today. He should be happy with it, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The wood is gorgeous.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2020

Handle and Little Cup

Handle and Little CupThe handle ( extension) was made for my Foley Food Mill. I use that mill on a medium sized bowl when making applesauce and it hangs over such a short amount that the end of the metal handle digs into the palm of my hand after hundreds of cranks. This extension allow for a comfortable grip on the mill. It is made from 2 pieces of cherry wood and carved out to fit the metal handle very closely..and then epoxied on. It is finished with Danish oil and buffed and waxed.The little cup was a rescue from the scrap wood going in the wood furnace. It was a mesquite cut off and thrown away because it had a crack in it. I turned away most of the cracked part but a little of it got in the game and chipped off the base so I had to turn the base smaller than it was planned. It is 2 1/4” x 2 1/4” high and finished with EEE and Shellawax. McKinlee will get it to play with on Thursday.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2020

Bookcase for Children's Books

Bookcase for Children's Books DW retired after 35 years of teaching last Summer. While the long term plan is for the books in her classroom library to be passed on, we needed an interval home for them while they make their way from boxes in the basement to new readers. Thus this bookcase which serves as a temporary home for the kid's books prior to leaving the house.
The interesting aspects of the build were due to the size of the unit- 90 inches high, by 72” wide but relatively shallow at 7.25” deep. Use of knockdown assembly (think flat box furniture) make moving and installing the floor to ceiling height bookcase. The Bessey clamp extender feature made clamping the side panels length wise possible. Having lots of clamps of varying lengths came in handy as well as did having work tables and the drill press on wheels.
Further details on this link: https://smortegav.blogspot.com/2020/11/a-major-book-migration.html

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2020

Laser Projects..

Laser Projects..My son decided he needed a laser engraver and today, we got to play with it. I was amazed by the quality and size of the machine. I thought it couldn't possibly do as well as it did. The LaserPecker Pro cost in the $450 range and came with everything needed to get right at it, We tested it on an assortment of materials, including one of my hand carved cherry palm crosses, and the leather bottom on a bowl I had turned on my lathe.
Images were uploaded via blue tooth from an Iphone. It took about 2-3 minutes to engrave each of these two items.
I am impressed with the quality of the result and the fit and finish of the machine.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2020

Bed side tables

Bed side tablesRecently finished a few project for a client, this set of bedside table is one of my favorites.. Made from Alder I cut/dried milled myself. Pretty well everything is bookmatched. No screws/nails involved, simple glue and bamboo skewers that I cut down to act as small dowels. I was asked to design a set of bedside tables that could be no longer than 16” (because of the light switch), with enough room for a cup of tea and a book. I came up with a simple concept of a hinged shelf that could folded up (held in place with a neodymium magnet)or fold down and be strong enough to hold items.. Books can be stored in the ends .. I was going to go with a French cleat but it would have taken up too much room so instead I routed a small area for metal screw hangers. Finished with Rubio. Comments ya or na welcome!
G Vavra

posted at: 12:01am on 03-Nov-2020

Small Pyrography Bowl

Small Pyrography BowlMade from a piece of jacaranda. 7” diameter and sprayed with satin lacquer. This was a crotchet pattern I found on line but this bowl was too small to burn the complete pattern.

posted at: 12:01am on 03-Nov-2020

A Camp Spoon for the Wolf Cubs

A Camp Spoon for the Wolf CubsThe local Wolf Cubs were cooking for years with a long stick and a sort of spatula screwed to it.
After a while the valuable kitchen utensil broke and they asked me if I could help.As I never had an opportunity to make one of these nice canoe paddle we see everywhere, I thought that was a good occasion!Akela and the kids were super happy with the result, they all loved it.Now I used beech and walnut, glued together with Titebond II…and I realised the wolf cubs are sometimes stirring boiling water with it…I am a bit scared the glue will not last this rough treatment…I must say, I am not much of a cook myself… and I did not anticipate the boiling water… “D'oh!”...so far and after one week in use, the spoon is still in one piece, I keep my fingers crossed.

posted at: 12:01am on 03-Nov-2020

Wife's Easel

Wife's EaselSolid walnut. Purchased base plans online and modified it to personal taste. Counterweight mechanism is custom one off.Wood was 4/4 lumber from local sawmill.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Nov-2020

Sharpener System

Sharpener System  I've always been frustrated sharpening my axes with a stone so I decided to build a sharpener with the same concept as a knife sharpener like the one from Smith's which makes it simple to keep a consistent angle on the blade.My goal was to be able to get an accurate angle on both sides of the head which is difficult to do by hand with a stone especially if you have to take a lot off to get at deep nicks. I built a prototype using 2-inch Styrofoam and a dowel rod bored into a deck rail picket. It worked pretty well, but I learned a few things along the way and built the final system.The second time around I use Kaizen foam as the base to help secure the axe head. I was much easier to get a consistent depth and I made it big enough to be able to flip the axe over and sharpen the other side. It holds it pretty well and I backed it up with a Velcro strap. You can use this for multiple different axes or other tools. Just make a Kaizen foam jig for each tool and you can swap it out.The key angles I focused on were keeping the axe handle and bit level. I built a handle stand with Velcro and put a wood block cut exactly to the right height to keep it level and provide support. I used plywood and square steel to make the sharpening arm. I covered the plywood with Plexiglas and polyethylene to provide stiffness, flatness, and a material easy to clean adhesive off of. Use the sharpening arm and a angle gauge to mark the hole locations to the angles you want for the movable draw support bars. You can add 4 different grits of sandpaper and rotate the sharpening arm as you move through them. I use a spray adhesive on the back of the sandpaper to secure them.
This thing works extremely well! I was able to get a very sharp and consistent edge on both sides in 10 min.
I hope this spurs some ideas and helps those jocks out there that dislike sharpening axes (or other tools) with a stone or grinder for that matter.Regards,
Hutch

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Nov-2020

YET ANOTHER PLATTER

YET ANOTHER PLATTERGreetings to all Lumber Jocks,Lately I have become obsessed with Platters. My Good Neighbours, 2 Doors up had some work done on their home. My Neighbour Kev thought I might like some pieces that the Carpenter didn't want. Which I gratefully accepted.
Neither Kev nor I know what kind of Wood it is, other than it is a very Hard Variety of Hard Wood.
The Grain has some quite nice features I thought.The Finish is 3 Coats of CABOTS Bench Top Food Safe Varnish, Rubbed gently between Coats with 0000 Super Fine Steel Wool.
I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND WEARING A FACE MASK WHILE USING STEEL WOOL.I really enjoyed making the Platter. Most likely more landing on L J s in the not too distant future…....
Apologies in advance Ha ha ha ….Kind regards,Happy and safe Wood Working….......Cliff.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2020

Guitar Cutting Board

Guitar Cutting BoardThis is a project i saw a drawing for a couple of years ago and now was the time to do something about making one.
It is a gift for my sister-in-law who is a big Elvis fan.
It is made from hardwood & finished with food safe oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2020

live edge end table

live edge end tablethis was my first resin table, walnut with some aquarium gravel

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2020