October 2020

Micro Jig Grr-Ripper (DIY)

Micro Jig Grr-Ripper (DIY)Instead of buying one, I decided to make my own version. I never used one of these before and found it drastically improves the cut on the table saw eliminating burning and stop points from the blade and also improves safety. It's a must-have for the shop!! The only thing you have to get used to is passing your hand over the top of the spinning blade. It's totally safe but just feels weird when you're not used to it. I didn't use plans, I just looked at the commercial version and figured out what I wanted the dimensions to be. I made up a few different sized material push hooks for varying situations and on-board storage for them on the stability wing. I used an old trowel handle and secured it on a slight angle to remind me to keep pushing it into the fence as well as forward through the cut.Overall a fun project and I cannot say enough about how great this thing works!Regards,
Hutch

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Oct-2020

First results from Bedroom furniture set - nightstands

First results from Bedroom furniture set - nightstands2 nightstands sized to fit the space. Solid walnut frame and top with mahogany veneer panels. Next piece (8-drawer dresser for my wife) is almost done. Just a few coats of finish left to go. Last piece will be my matching 5 drawer high-boy dresser.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Oct-2020

Jeep Bed

Jeep BedGrandson is into dinos and Jurrasic World movie so its painted to look like the one in the movie. 1/2” plywood, real ATV wheels. Found the plans online. Altered the design of the grill to give it some depth

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Oct-2020

Tablet & Light Stands

Tablet & Light StandsAs this whole isolation thing has gone on, I've been upgrading my video conferencing capabilities. The hard part is that once a week I do voice lessons using a low-latency audio technology called Jamulus, and we use Zoom for the video. So we put Jamulus on a computer, and Zoom on the tablet, and I've gotten tired of propping up the tablet against books or whatever to try to point it at me.I also had this old Kodak flash bulb holder that I thought would make a killer light.So I took some LED strip lights, wrapped them around a black dowel to turn the flash holder into a light. Then rummaged through the scrap pile and built some tripods and holders, I think there's walnut and maple and white oak and cherry and sapele in this.Suddenly my singing lessons are boosted to the next level!

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Oct-2020

Executive Desk

Executive DeskHi all,Been awhile since I have posted anything, but just finished one of the largest pieces that I have built. This is an executive desk for my home office. Overall dimensions are 66 wide, 34 deep and 31 tall. It Breaks down into 4 major pieces. The top, the 2 banks of drawers and the middle panel that joins the 2 banks of drawers.Constructed from SYP 2×12s from HD, the legs are 2x2 with a cove cut on outside corners for visual interest and a 1/8 round over. All other pieces are 7/8 with the same round over. The bottom stretchers all have a curve that was drawn with a shop made drawing bow and cut on the bandsaw. I faired the curves with a spokeshave and sanding. The carcasses are assembled with mortise and tenon joinery. I got lazy on the drawers, and I assembled them with 1/2 ply and butt joints screwed together. The drawer fronts are 7/8 with a 1/2 round over and a rabbetted bottom.The carcasses have 3/8 panels that are are set into frames. All drawer slides are wooden and shop made. I sanded everything to 220 and stained with Minwax Red Oak. The finish is Minwax Satin poly. Mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with mineral spirits. Wiped on with t-shirt scraps. 5 coats with a light 0000 steel wool sanding between each.I have a lot of pics. I am going to add them below.

Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Oct-2020

Propane Tank Storage

Propane Tank StorageMade this 3-legged hexagonal sort-of-Japanese-karabitsu to hold the tank for our little propane grill.I'm very happy I got the face grain of the plywood to flow around the corners. A hexagonal box actually uses less wood than a square box. A handy calculator I found on the web was able to suggest a good width for the panels. I was able to get the walls of this piece from a single quarter-sheet of 3/8” plywood from the orange store. The rest was all surplus from other projects.It's all finished inside and out with spar urethane, so it should be OK spending the winter outside after the grill goes into storage.A little more info and one more picture in the blog post on my personal blog –

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Oct-2020

A few more pens

A few more pensBlanks contain real diamond dust reclaimed from diamond cutters.
Zoom in you can see the sparkles of the diamonds.Just wanting to archive these into my projects.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Oct-2020

Grilling Plank

Grilling PlankI'm more of a furniture maker, but just thought I'd share this with y'all. I purchased some Red Grandis for a furniture project. Most of the wood was acceptable with a bit of work … no big deal. However, there was a 2 ft piece that was giving me grief. I would flatten it to and within a day or so it would twist. I flattened it a bit more and after another day or so … more twist. My last try I flattened it to a thickness … and it was flat. That is until 2 days later that twist showed up. I live in California… there is no humidity nor rain obvious by the fires.My wife has been asking for a grilling plank. I have the perfect one. These are normally cedar, but I've seen them made of maple, walnut, & oak so why not Red Grandis. I washed it and soaked it for about 4 hours and then an additional 30 minutes in white wine (the cheapest I could find). Then gave it to my wife. That salmon was the best we've had in a long time.Try it sometime.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Oct-2020

Comments:

Office Desk build! (Video Link attached)

Office Desk build! (Video Link attached)I built an office desk for my girlfriend. Its a pretty simple design and was all done with minimal tools. It is incredibly sturdy and would recommend this to anyone that is looking to build their own desk. It was about $100 or less in materials if I remember correctly.Here's a link to the video where you can watch the build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqPTza_L-8&t=186sEnjoy!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Oct-2020

In the making

In the makingFirst off there is a lot of wood working involved here. The carcass of the BOX is MDFWanted to post what I am using my 2 Sidewinder 3D Printers X-1s on this week. I use these machines for the most part to print parts used in products I made for sale on Etsy that I could not make with traditional wood working. This is my latest and most complex PRINT and builds. Had many mistakes and redesigns on the printing. I had to have parts that were strong AND also gave/had access and RUNS for electrical wiring. There are 2 Smaller red and blue light hooked up with Toggles with lit Indicator light and a MAIN light NOT SEEN.The design of the MAIN 3 light support was at first made of one object BUT the supports would have killed me in PLA and time so made it a 3 part print so the main part sat flat on the build plate.I Use using SUNLO black but switched to HATCHBOX Black Much creamier and rock solid when printed.I could NOT find any sort of METAL with the right perforation for the sheet part of the lamp shade. I found this PVC Circle hole perf. sheet at 1/8 inch thick from US PLASTICS. I had no idea how to make all this work out. I had to make a HEAT BENDING MOLD to form the SHEET PVC. After a few tries I worked it out

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2020

Front yard fence

Front yard fence Redwood and Cedar lumber I used my track saw to cut the bottom of the fence flush .
Simple design but I like how it came out.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2020

Garden Shed/Deck

Garden Shed/DeckAll started in spring, noticed the roof of the old garden shed)Plastic:() had holes in it from hail.
Thought about going out to the coast to get some 6” x 6” Cedar posts to match the other shed in the back yard but new truck with short box may have trouble bringing home 10 footers? So went with 4” x 6” Pt but made the mistake of waiting too long to start, appears wood shortages and 200% price increase has made this a rather expensive little project. 2' x 4” framed inside with 1/2” plywood on the walls with 2” x 6” roof with 3/4” T&G Plywood coated with Deckover. Railing is stained 2” x 4” Pt with Titan Snap 'N Lock Baluster System from Lee Valley.
Received the Grangirls approval except that one of them wants a Slide to get down easier, I was thinking Zip Line?

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2020

Dice Tray

Dice TrayThe Yahtzee games are getting pretty serious. Decided we need a good level playing surface. The bottom comes out so it can be re-felted.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Oct-2020

Carved Cherry Bowl

Carved Cherry BowlCherry Bowl – 7-1/2” in diameter, 3-1/4” high. Carving done with a WeCheer reciprocating handpiece on a Dremel rotary tool.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2020

DIY Bathroom Cabinet with Epoxy Vanity Top

DIY Bathroom Cabinet with Epoxy Vanity TopWhen you remodel your bathroom, you are breathing fresh life into your home. There are plenty of ways you can remodel your bathroom. Recently the vanity and cabinets are fast becoming the highlight of bathroom renovations. In this tutorial, I will show you how to make your own DIY Bathroom Cabinet with Epoxy Vanity Top.Check out my website for more info and pictures at TheDIYPlan.com

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2020

AmericanKestral bookmark

AmericanKestral bookmarkThis took awhile, but I like how it turned out. The white in the eye and the black claws were done with acrylic paint applied with the tip of a toothpick. I'm pretty pleased with this one.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2020

The Dozer

The DozerJust finished these two dozers by T & J's. The lighter colored one is mainly NZ Kauri with walnut tracks and exhaust etc,. The other one is mainly cherry with walnut tracks. Both have ebonized seat cushions and armrests.
For others who use T & J's plans make sure you read them all first as there are a few mistakes and if you get the parts kit with it be aware you will need an extra length of 5/8 dowel.
This model is on a larger scale than previous dozers. The tracks are a vast improvement but you will need to do a bit of head scratching to avoid the tracks from sagging between the top track support.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2020

Repurposed Nabisco Biscuit Box Lid -

Repurposed Nabisco Biscuit Box Lid - A solution for organizing pencils and note pads, and getting them off the counter was on my honey do list. This Nabisco display box lid was a recent find that my wife brought home. When she asked me what I could do with it, decided to kill 2 birds with one stone.Used resurrected barn board left over from a previous build. With a goal of making the box look old, I elected to hand cut dovetails ( first time). After assembling the box, it appeared to new, so I distressed it a bit with whatever tools were handy.In full disclosure, the first dovetails I cut on the wrong side of the line. Rookie mistake!!!!All in all, pleased with the outcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2020

Mystery Slab Sofa Table

Mystery Slab Sofa TableRecently I bought a slab at a neighborhood Sale for $30. The seller was transparent and straight up with the add that he didn't know what kind of wood it was. From the photo posted, I thought it was Cherry and rushed right over to snatch it up. I knew it was a great find no matter the species, but if it was cherry it would have been an extra bargain. To my surprise, when I arrived to pick it up, I found out that this piece of wood was most certainly not cherry. It was far to dense, hard, and extremely heavy. Just feeling it, it felt twice a dense and heavy as white oak.After getting it home, I now needed to figure out what I would make with it. Personally, I've never really been a fan of live edge furniture, especially the river tables. To me, more often than not they come off as looking too much like someone encased beautiful wood inside plastic. Don't get me wrong, some pieces are quite nice, but I think it takes a lot of design effort and skill to make both epoxy and wood mediums play nicely together. I think maybe one of the things that gets me with river tables is the ratio of epoxy to wood, too much epoxy, no matter how elegantly done, distracts too much from the natural beauty of the table. Perhaps I'm just trying to justify my tastes, I don't know.In any event, despite not really being a big fan of the styles this piece seemed like a good candidate for such design. Besides, I've never made a river anything before, so at the very least, I'd get to learn some new skills. In the end, I, very satisfied with how it turned out. I still couldn't bring myself to put the live edges out, preferring the traditional furniture form for a more classic, and in my opinion, classy, aesthetic.Legs are made of poplar and mortised and tennoned together, simple shaker style design. Top is one slab cut in three pieces with black, pearled, epoxy pour 1.75 thick, 3 bow tie inlays on each side made of off cuts from same slab.After working with this wood Im reasonably certain it's Mulberry, but I can't be sure. Initially I thought it might be Osage Orange, and in truth, it might be. The only thing that gives me pause about it not being Osage is that despite it being incredibly dense, heavy, and hard, it was relatively pleasant to work with. I would have expected a dry Osage Slab to really make my tools groan, more than they did.Anyway, thanks for taking a look.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2020

Hanging Wall Cabinet with Kumiko panel

Hanging Wall Cabinet with Kumiko panelThis is my second “Pekovich” wall cabinet. For this build I used quartersawn white oak for the carcass and bubinga and aspen for the drawer. The kumiko panel was made with basswood.Kumiko is for the patient woodworker but I think the rewards are great. It is really simple to do after learning a few basic techniques. Mike Pekovich and Matt Kenney both sell kits on their websites. There are many videos on youtube.For the finish I used Zinseer sealcoat everywhere but the bubinga. Shellac just made the bubinga too dark which resulted in too much of a contrast with the white oak. For the bubinga I use Minwax's polycrlic varnish. 99% of the time I use an oil and shellac or lacquer finish but this time this looked best. It surprised me, but It reaffirms the benefits of test pieces before applying finish to the final product.I learned a lot from Mike Pekovich's book “The Why and How of Woodworking” and highly recommend it.Thanks for looking, comments and questions are always welcomed.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Oct-2020

Planes finished

Planes finishedThese are the planes I got from the neighbor, with the other tools owned by her father (see the saws). Finally finished the restoration. They were in very good condition, with only the slightest coating of rust.There is a #5, a #606 bedrock and a #7. They will compliment my #3, #4, a couple of 5's, and my grandpa's #6. The bedrock is especially nice. the #5 and 606 are from the 1910 patent, and the #7 is form the 1902 patent. The casting on it is a bit rough on the upper surface. i worked out the specific version numbers but misplaced the paper.I removed the little rust with vinegar and on some parts, a dilute solution of oxalic acid. Both remove rust very slowly and thus do not harm the patina – if you are careful. After soaking, the residue was removed by light wiping with a white Scotchbrite pad (low abrasiveness).The japanningg was restored by first smoothing out the few chipped areas by blasting with fine grade walnut shells, which don't affect the metal at all.I went back to the original japanning formula that Stanley used. It consisted of artist's asphaltum pigment dissolved in semigloss varnish. The asphaltum was hard to find, and a 2 oz.tube cost $27. It goes on as a dark brown and becomes black after the second coat. It appears identical to the original stuff, which it is.I have not attempted any tuning, and I may never use them; most of my planing is done with the #3,4 or 5's, which are well tuned.Now, where to store and display them? another tool cabinet?

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Oct-2020

Red Cedar stump table

Red Cedar stump table This section of Red Cedar has been drying for quite a while in the shop (.over a uear) so finally decided to keep it as a small table once finished.Much sanding and little chisel work to get the final smooth edges. The stump top was leveled out with my belt sanders was used to get as level as possible.Entire top and on the sides with Total Boat epoxy.
Hoping it will last for few years to come.Last picture is before finish

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Oct-2020

F-15 Picture Frame

F-15 Picture FrameI have worked Avionic Systems on USAF F-15 Fighters for now over 46 years. Although I retired this year I still work some engineering issues part time. Whenever we have guests visit from out-of-town I try to get them to the base air museum to show off our hardware, I have a friend about my age that had never seen an F-15 Eagle close up, so when he came to speak at our church last year I took him on a tour of our base Air Museum, and got him up close to many USAF aircraft, including the F-15. He was thrilled.As a gift to him, I made him a walnut picture frame and enclosed one of my favorite F-15 photos. This particular picture was taken in Northern Ireland while flying a low level training mission through the “Mach Loop” (google it for some awesome photos and videos). The last time my friend was here, I gave him the framed photo.Frame is walnut was harvested from my uncle's farm in West Virginia. The frame has maple corner splines across the miters showing on the outside of each corner. The photo is covered by 1/8 inch glass that is rabbeted into the edge of the frame. The photo was enlarged to 10×12 inches. Finish is equal parts Satin Poly/BLO/Mineral Spirits. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2020

Walnut LED lighting project

Walnut LED lighting projectHey LumberJocks,
Just wanted to post my latest project, an adjustable Walnut LED lighting fixture for my dining room. Project inspiration from Matt Downer of Rico CO. He has made many and much more extravagant fixtures of this design. This is my first and likely would do a few things different. I grabbed the 26” diameter limbs from Pleasanton Fairgrounds, slabbed them with my chainsaw mill and they've been drying for about two years. I cut everything to rough size and let sit for several weeks. I hollowed out all the raceways for the lights and wires then mortised the light bars to slide on to the main beam. I hid all the wiring and transformer in the main beam. I went simple and used Tung oil on all the walnut. I fabricated all the brackets and pulley connectors on my metal lathe and mill. The only items purchased were the actual pulleys, but did in fact modify them on my metal mill. I fabricated the ceiling mount and added metal trim for detail. It;s attached with button head square drive screws. Additionally I turned down brass “grommets” that are pressed in to ceiling fixture, which is Walnut as well, where the ropes and electric supply passes through. Another detail- the electrical cord has an idler pulley that takes up the slack as the fixture moves up and down. The large rock is 9.5 lbs, the small rock about 3 lbs, and were found on the side of the road, drilled out and attached with stainless steel braided cable. The “S” hooks are copper rod. Yes I had to spend some time in the attic adding additional bracing for all this extra weight The lighting fixture has about 20 inches of travel. BTW the walnut table is listed as a project on the site – saved it from the scrap heap last year.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2020

Another bandsaw box

Another bandsaw box I love making bandsaw boxes but this one was kind of a pain. Messed up the first glue up and broke two blades. Murphys Law sucks!

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2020

Handmade Three way Mitre Joint Cabinet

Handmade Three way Mitre Joint CabinetHope you like it !
Work Porcess on my Youtube Channel ''Hansjoinery''.
Subscribe would be my pleasure ! Part1 Structure make Part2 Finish

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2020

Hollowing Tool

Hollowing ToolI made this hollowing tool for a job I had with a tight spot to get into that my wide carbide tipped hollower would not fit. It is made of tool steel with a hardened tip and has a Osage Orange handle. The tool is 11” long and the handle is finished with Danish oil and buffed and waxed.It worked very well,Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2020

Beagle Dog

Beagle DogThis is a beagle dog wood carving. It is 8 inches tall, carved from basswood, painted with acrylics.Claude

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2020

Yeah, yeah... another "inappropriate" Laser Puzzle

Yeah, yeah... another "inappropriate" Laser PuzzleBoys and Girls,I tried to warn you in the title, so all you masochists read on.Looks like this bloody C19 has taken another scalp and this time literally.
After 6 months of hibernating with the compliments of self-isolation, it was costing me a small fortune in hair shampoo per wash and decided it was time to get some red on my neck from the sun (I live with the 'billies of downtown Churchill)
To cut a long story short, the lady-barber's hubby just inherited a new used laser without instructions. During the mandatory hairy/client conversation, one thing led to another and after my ears were put back on, I bestowed upon her and hubby an open invitation to my place for some basic lasering education.Was lying in bed one Sunday morning and my talking doorbell announced a visitor(s)

No such thing as a Duck's tail without digression...
For all those out there thinking I'm a
overly security conscious with two locks… wrong, only a tad. The digital doesn't lock from the inside which is not ideal when away from home for prolonged periods… if we ever get a vaccine. Now back to the topic…Expecting a Jo'Wi' (remember, doorbell ringing), I had my string of garlic around the neck and dressed in my Satanic jocks with horns, I answered the door.
It turned out to be my hair-cutter and her hubby cannot call her a hairdresser as all she did was give me a #3 buzz cut that should prepare me for another 3 more waves of C19
Unfortunately I couldn't refuse entry as she had a key to my front door a cask of cheap vinoStill keeping to the short story, they were attracted to my laser cut puzzles and ever obliging, thought we'd spend the day going through my go-to-whoa routine.
To my surprise, the hubby had a working knowledge of SketchUp, it's a small world.
I decided on a low number of pieces puzzle so as not to overly intimidate them, however, didn't want to duplicate any existing puzzles… boring!
I don't know why, but somehow I gravitated to corelz125's projects as I had already plagiarised one of his items and came across his Little puzzle box, which I ignored, but it had a link to the original URL, which I also ignored, but eventually found this puzzle.By this time the cask of vino was quickly depleting and the sun started to set over the meter arm (no imperial here) so I bid them a French Moses (ajew) and promised to follow it up.Now… some day(s) later We have this follow up
Imported the drawing into SketchUp

which I trace over,

and created the 3D puzzle,

Note, the 6mm MDF was laminated (using alignment dowels) as my laser cannot cut 12mm MDF.
Followed the bouncing ball through to the laser,

before taking the pieces down to the workshop (ok. eagle eyes, above pic already in the 'shop)

To prepare for the glue-up, I needed some dowels and rather than Manwell, I turned to Otto and cut the dowels on my cordless bandsaw

and using them, laminated

flush cut the dowel ends,

Some weren't that flush, so they were chiselled,

Off to my upside down ROS No, not cause I'm in Australia (and it's NOT a bloody upside down picture), mounted in the vice for easier sanding,
Can't blame c125 as he only led me to the site, but that mongrel author (not c125) could not make me solve it as he had no instructions posted
For a 3 piece puzzle, what I thought would be a 1 minute exercise, turned into an embarrasing 15 minute battle,

but I
Rocky'd it,
Off to the buffer and went through my traditional tripoli, white diamond and carnauba wax cycles. The first two waxes have cutting compounds in them so the further polished the MDF pieces and the last wax gave it a brilliant shine… sheer laziness precluded me from tung oiling it, which I sometimes do prior to waxing.No sooner had I finished, I had an impromptu visit from the hubby who left me another cask of cheapo vino and walked out with two of the puzzles I think I lost out on that deal but after the cask I didn't care.Over the last few days they have been walking out the door (I've already made 11 of 'em) shit when lockdown ceases people might even come and pick them up. Hell, I've had very few visitors lately and have 5 left with 7 already earmarked… why weren't my other puzzles so popular… this C19 must be making people bonko!As promised to my guests, I made a video of the process (after the laser cutting). If anyone is interested in the SketchUp model or PDF of measurements, you'll just have to go to the video (and give me a another view stat) and get to it in the comments.This project is ideal for CNC work (as all my other puzzles) and can also be relatively easily scrolled… however, if scrolling you may need to do some filing (can cut a tad oversize for caution) as co-ordinated fit is optimum. Though it can be smaller, however, a loose fit is hard to keep intact.Keep safe jocks (or knickers) or should that have been keep safe, jocks!

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Oct-2020

Hand-cranked wood model of 2 crankshafts and 1 piston

Hand-cranked wood model of 2 crankshafts and 1 pistonI saw a computer simulation of this mechanism on Youtube and decided it would make an interesting and colorful hand-cranked wood model.I used red oak for the base and 2 main vertical pieces. The moving pieces are made from hard maple, and then dyed with a water based dye.The finished model runs very well, with very little friction.The kids should enjoy this one. A couple times a year with no virus, I take most of my wood toys to public events so the kids can play with them. Usually, I find the adults have as much fun as the kids playing with them :)To see how I designed and built this model, see my woodworking web site.I also made a Youtube video of the model in action, you can use this link to see the video.Thanks

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Oct-2020

Cities in Crisis

Cities in Crisis Cities in Crisis III
Again CBS and its show 60 Minutes brought me some inspiration. Feeling the need to bring forward the issue of police and Black Lives Matter. I question the need for so much lethal force being used on unarmed people of color. These killings have brought protest that have lead to riots, destruction of property and yes loss of life. Here you can see a couple weapons of rioters with the flow of blood running down the street. It is the blood of many and all nationalities. There is a black side that has many white areas representing other nationalities that are marching with the people of color. The black side was burned with a torch it representing the many business that have been torched. On the other side it is just white. I hope all people are asking for change regardless of skin color.
Yes this will be viewed as a political post and will strike a different chord with many and that is the purpose of this piece. We must return to peace with change.
It will be interesting the response to this piece.Disk is turned from wet Madrone, brick and stone are from dry MadroneYes it will be turned to politics.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2020

Crib Mobile

Crib MobileWe were in need of a crib mobile and my wife was on the hunt at local stores, while I was on the hunt for ideas on how I could build it myself. Once I had the concept down I showed my wife and she liked the idea of me building one vs. buying one. It uses old scrap walnut material and is more meaningful, hopefully it's one of those things that can by passed along.The design needed to be strong enough to hang like cantilever on a stud and the arm needed to be adjustable as the little one becomes more interested in grabbing things. I decided to build the base out of walnut and mortise two “turrets” that would sandwhich the arm with all thread and washers. I used a long walnut chunk and lapped it in the middle to add another pivot point. The arm is held at the base and at the elbow by a long piece of all thread that has a nylox nut and cap nut which have Loctite on them. However, as you move the arms back and forth you can feel the cap nut tighten or loosen. This concerned me but my wife and I are always looking as we move it to make sure the nut is not lose and does not present a choking hazard. On the back of the base are two Keyholes that were routed in for a “faster free” look on the front. On the face is just a little profile that I used to ease up the corners and give some design to the base.I am still new to wood working and always am impressed with the people who seem to have flawless projects. So much so that I was beating myself up when I would produce less than perfect projects. Once I realized every one makes mistakes and lots of people edit their content to hide these flaws, I was less discouraged. In this project I decided to show off my mistakes to hopefully not discourage others as I once was.My mortise skills are very beginner and I had to hide the ugly cut outs by trimming the turrets with small walnut trim (look the back side of the base and you can see that I had to hide the imperfect cuts further by using the ole' glue and sawdust trick.) I am also still not patient with sanding and you may notice some defects in the along the project that could be fixed by spending more time sanding, I'll do this later. The other mistake I made was not holding the base to my router fence hard enough when making the keyholes. You can see that one of them got away from me a tad bit, but they still hold super strong and I have no worries about this.Hope this helps and is encouraging for the dad's like me who want to do something for the kiddo(s). Bonus points, the wife made the hanging part as well from a hoop, string, and some yarn.Sorry some Pictures are sideways, didn't have the time to figure out how to re-orient them.Mason

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2020

Comments:

My Outdoor Kitchen - Almost Done!

My Outdoor Kitchen - Almost Done!Finally got the lighting and flooring in for my outdoor kitchen project. It's been a long 6 months doing this in my free time. Tonight was the first night it was dark enough (early enough) that I could see the lighting setup I did. Really love how it came out.I'll post some more picks of the entire deck soon (this is only half of it) once I get a few more things wrapped.Thanks to all of you who helped along the way.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2020

Bank Vault door lock

Bank Vault door lockDecided to get the dust off the scrollsaw and cut some gears. Always thought a bank vault door gear setup looked neat so I though Id make a lock setup for the furnace room / storage room in the basement door. Grandkids love it. Gears are cut from a combination of 1/2 & 1/4” Baltic Birch and 1/2” MDF. All in all with the changes made along the way and 'screwups', I cut 280 gear teeth for this.
https://www.lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/2283341-97x65.jpg?1602118955Next to last gear layout.https://www.lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/2283342-97x65.jpg?1602118970
Final installation on the furnace room / storage room door. Clockwise turning of the wheel causes the latch hook on the right side to lift from the lock pin assembly. Counterclockwise it re-locks the door again.In the event my wife needs to get in the storage room, she can just lift the locking hook (it's on a friction bolt) rather than turn the handle.
Enjoy.. POP

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2020

REMOTE BOX

REMOTE BOXMade this box from a piece of wood that has been sitting in a corner for years and I have no idea what type of wood is and the veneer I used is walnut burl .
This box is made to fit the TV remotes that alway look they don't belong on the coffee table , problem solved .

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2020

Jupiter Side Table

Jupiter Side TableThe design I saw for this table called it a Jupiter style table I don't know why but it sure was fun to make. It's not obvious but the top is book joined and the stretchers are lapped and mortised and tenoned to the legs. The woods are walnut and cherry with a boiled linseed finish and a Howard's wax protection. I love the simple and elegant design and the woods contrast each other so nicely. Hope you like it.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2020

Geode Coffee Table w/LED Light

Geode Coffee Table w/LED LightThis was a fun project made out of a large Parota (Guanacaste) cross cut slab. The thick slice of Quartz geode has been inlayed into the surface of the table with an LED light installed below.The light is controlled by remote and has the ability to turn 15 different colors and three different light intensities (white and pink examples in the pics). It can be one color or transition between colors, or turn completely off. It is powered by a small removable power bank, so no power cords needed.The power bank can be used separately for your phone, iPad, computer, etc. There is a magnetic mounting pad for the power bank under the table, shown in the pics along with a small velcro dot for the remote (no need to keep track of them around the house or add to any clutter).The table legs are 16” high, antique brass finished industrial steel. Legs are mounted with coated screws for ease of removal if a different style or height is preferred by the end user. The table dimensions are 56”W x 53”T x 3” thick. The top is coated in epoxy. The sides and bottom are sealed then topcoated with Odie's oil.I am not a professional photographer, so my apologies, it looks much better in person. I created this table for fun to test an idea and after over 100 hours of labor, will probably not make another anytime soon.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2020

Sharpening Jig Tray & Cabinet

Sharpening Jig Tray & CabinetTray for my honing guides. Off-cuts from the scrap inventory. Blackwood, Fijian Mahogany, and Poplar.
Just purchased the LN honing guide, so decided to organize all the bits and pieces.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2020

Madrone Bullet Hole Sequel: The Table Lamp

Madrone Bullet Hole Sequel:  The Table LampI made this lamp from the remnants of the Texas madrone log from which I made the Bullet Hole Bowl I previously posted. I tried to come up with a way to turn this one but it was just too odd to make anther bowl from.

After a little brainstorming, it occurred to me that maybe I could make a wall sconce utilizing the rotted hole to throw interesting patterns on the wall. I cut the log in a square block and sliced off some square cookies. I decided it would be too small for a sconce and instead decided a small lamp would work better. The cookies were book matched to form the 4 sides with a single piece for the top. Each side was simply edge joined and the other edges were beveled for joining the sides and top.The base was made from a block of Bradford pear by drilling a hole for the fixture and hollowing the bottom of the block to form the arched legs. I used an LED bulb that has a remote that allows you to adjust the color and brightness and can even be set to fade between random colors and sort of looks like an evil presence has taken it over.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2020

Comments:

Desk cabinets for my office area

Desk cabinets for my office areaThis project was all about organizing my office area around my 1950's oak school desk. It is incorporating my iMac , printer, 4K monitor for our security cameras and general stuff. I used genuine mahogany 3/4” plywood with a combination of white oak and Honduras mahogany for the facing. Simple but very functional

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2020

Wine-Barrel coffee table

Wine-Barrel coffee tableHiJust today I completed yet another wine-barrel project, this time a coffee table. Slowly but surely the old wooden furniture in the house is being replaced.We had an old Roxton Maple coffee table in the family room that was too large for the space, quite out of style and yet had a perfectly good maple top. I used that top for the new wine-barrel coffee table.The table top was reshaped to a perfect ellipse and refinished to appear as close as possible to white oak. Of course, the grain of maple is finer, but the idea was to match the color of white oak and also to recycle the old table top.The top is attached on the underside with 1-1/2 plywood, to which I fastened a drawer and four legs. The legs and the face and back of the drawer are fashioned from white oak barrel staves laminated together to form two curved surfaces. This was a tricky process. Lots of hand work involved.I did not incorporate a barrel hoop to surround the table top substructure, as the metal was reluctant to bend to an elliptical shape. This is because the wine barrel hoops are not flat bands, but are narrower on one edge than the other to accommodate the bulging side of the barrel shape.The table legs reveal the inner surface of the white wine barrel which is a deep amber color. I chose to leave the sides of the drawer box open so the lovely maple can be easily viewed.The lid is finished in clear Varathane Professional Matte… three coats. The legs, and lower structure of the table are similarly finished.The inside of the drawer is made from 1/2 baltic birch plywood.Blessings and Peace,
Bill

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2020

Winter clock

Winter clockCut with a delta scroll saw. I used birch ply, walnut and big leaf figured maple. Back lit with led lights.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2020

Custom Railing Project - Reproducing 1800's Outdoor Railing Profiles

Custom Railing Project - Reproducing 1800's Outdoor Railing ProfilesI just completed a huge project that pushed my woodworking skills to a whole new level. And it all started with a friend saying, “Hey you do woodworking, can you make me some replica railings for an old house I bought?”In the video series for my YouTube channel, it looks like I did this just for a small stair section. In fact, I created over 100ft of custom railings for a massive wrap around porch deck including and area with curved railings (shown in the last picture). I still can't believe I actually did this. Enjoy! <div>Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</div> <div>Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</div> <div>Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</div>

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2020

Liquor and Wine Cabinet

Liquor and Wine CabinetI wanted to make something for my daughter as a wedding gift. She mentioned that she wanted a wine cabinet and her fiance is into whiskeys. So I looked around and found this build by Smitty (Link Below) that I used as an inspiration. She had some cherry furniture in her home she the material was an easy choice. The design was in line with the other furniture that she has.I want to thank Smitty for answering some questions that I had along the way.https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/14987

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2020

Chisel Plane

Chisel PlaneCame across a maple scrap on a Sunday afternoon and decided to have some fun.I didn't set out with the plan of getting all fancy with the wedge, but I got bored while the glue was drying on the other part. The shape kind of reminds me of a shaving curl, which makes me like it a lot. :)

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2020

Optical Center Punches

Optical Center PunchesI had 2 long range projects going in the shop. Now that the marble machine is finished and the other one has paint drying, I got back to making these 2 optical center punches. I was a lost on what to use for the center clear rod with cross hairs and then I found a piece of clear plastic rod in my plastic cut offs drawer and tried it out in a wood block. I thought it would be too dark to see the cross hairs down at the bottom of the hole, but it is amazing how bright the lines show up with this rod sitting on top of the piece to be punched. That rod must amplify the light down the tubeThese two are made from Brazilian rosewood with a brass sleeve pressed in the center. The center punches are hardened tool steel so they can be used on steel as well as wood. The clear plastic rods are highly polished on the ends with commercial plastic polish used for epoxy table tops and the cross hairs were scratched into them in the milling machine. The wood is finished with EEE and Shellawax

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Oct-2020

Comfort Birds - also w/ Template & WIP

Comfort Birds - also w/ Template & WIPI've been carving a few Comfort Birds lately. I've finished about 13, and have quite a few in process too.
I was trying to make some out of every kind of wood in my shop, but I don't know if that will happen at this point!Notice I made a template from some aluminum flashing. That speeds things up a bit. Now I need something that will speed up finishing. That's the thing that holds me up. I can saw out and carve one in about an hour, and then the sanding from 100 – 400 grit takes about another hour. The finishing with wipe-on polyurethane takes… well I don't really know since it takes several applications and there's always some blemish that needs retouching…Anyway, I've enjoyed carving these and giving them to friends and family.Cherry, Alder, Walnut, Mahogany, Sapele, Poplar, Red Oak, Ash, Fir, Paulownia, Lignum Vitae, Wormy Hickory, Rubber Wood, Beech, Peach, Chinaberry

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Oct-2020

Scroll saw projects

Scroll saw projectsI've been building models for a while now and filled the house up twice I would think as my wife has been giving the older ones away to make room. lol
Have been using a Wen scroll saw and it got the work done but was wanting something better so got a Dewalt scroll saw and it's a whole different beast.
I'm now able to use much smaller blades [no pins required] and the change over from one hole to another is just so much better. I'm talking seconds instead of minutes.I say all this to show why now I've switched gears and playing with scroll saw projects.
I's something new and interesting to learn and gives me a chance to make things my better half can appropriate and enjoy.
As you may have guessed we love cats. LOL

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2020

Oak Fly Box

Oak Fly BoxThis fly box is made from Oak and is 5”x7”x1.25” since I tie fly's I need boxes for them so I started building them.
I use mostly wood that I around the shop. It is fun and useful.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2020

Unintended Steampunk Mallet

Unintended Steampunk MalletFirst off. Credit for this idea came from fellow Lumberjock camp764 who found the idea on Pinterest, where he suspects it originally came from Woodsmith magazine.As with my other projects posted here on Lumberjocks -always give credit where credit's due.I'm not a fan of the Steampunk art form at all. And this wasn't my intention to call this Steampunk in any way. But it slowly came out to me after I took the pictures & submitted them to our club online editor, that it does have a retro look with the shiny polished bronze rough casting for a mallet head to it.Not intentional but the retro Steampunkishness look of this mallet is slowly growing on me.Fun project that got started by a now online based woodturning club's monthly President's Challenge. Which has been part of switching from a local face-to-face monthly meeting format where we used to drool over the other member's newest turnings, talk shop and the related problems, advice, and solutions we all can share.And now to a web based monthly meeting format to stay in touch with those club member now spread out on both coasts who so choose to meet virtually each month to talk everything woodturning till it's safe to come out from hiding from the world physically.I just posted details of the backstory & the build process, (warts and all), here.Enjoy,-Woodstock

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2020

zig-zag box

zig-zag boxTwo corners do not line up on this zig-zag box that I recently completed. Does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong to create this?

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Oct-2020

WWII Veterans Flag Case

WWII Veterans Flag CaseI built this flag case this past spring for the family of a WWII Veteran who was killed in action in France in 1944. The Cooney family of Cresson, Pennsylvania owned Cooney Brothers Coal for many years and I am proud to say that several of my Uncles and Great Uncles were Dragline and other types of equipment operators for them. When I learned the oldest Brother Thomas, was killed in Action in 1944 near Vologne, France, I wanted to do something to remember and pay tribute to that. The box itself is made of Walnut. I then inlaid the base and uprights with Coal and then epoxied it in. I then obtained his awards and uniform devices, mounted them and inserted them into the lower frame. The flag is a full 9.5×5 Casket flag, which I had flown at Arlington. I then carefully wrapped it around a form and inserted it into the top and folded the rest in behind it. I then delivered it to the family and presented it to the remaining family members.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Oct-2020

Kyra's Desk

Kyra's DeskI ran into an old client (grand daughter) and was asked to consider taking on a desk project (I've yet to learn the word No around her). Kyra is entering high school this fall and would like to move off of the kitchen table for her studies. It seemed like a reasonable request and I asked her for some styles that she might like. Being way ahead of me, she texted some pics of a Hemnes desk she saw at IKEA complete with overall dimensions. I somehow get the impression that this build was not a spur of the moment decision on her part. It seems like it was not long ago that I was building cribs and doll furnitureI started off importing the pictures into Sketchup and scaling them into the model to acquire additional dimensions when I thought to make a search into the 3D Warehouse. Voila!, there it was, several models with everything but the joinery detail. I downloaded one of them and half of my design work was done.For the cabinets, I decided on frame and panel construction using 6/4 alder for the frame and plywood for the panels. On the frame, I incorporated mortise and tenon joinery with dadoes to hold the panels in place. The drawers were constructed of Baltic birch plywood with simple box joints to assemble and added fronts with 3/8 round over drawer lips. The top drawer has an additional sliding tray in it for smaller items. The cabinet door was likewise made with M&T joinery using alder and plywood panel, again with a 3/8 round over door lip. The client wished to have the door cabinet divided with a shelf, so I made it a pullout shelf with short rail since the cabinet depth was too deep for the opening.The desk top is simply a piece of particleboard with a Formica laminate added to the top and built up edges which I thought would wear much better than a painted wood top (client agreed). Beneath the top, situated in the footwell, is a shallow shelf to hold a plug-in strip and cables off the floor (sorry, no pics). Access to the top surface is through two 2 cable holes with plastic grommets. The top is attached to the cabinets with wooden clips that fit into the dado around the top of each cabinet frame.The top shelf unit is made of sanded ply using dadoes, screws, & glue for the stationary parts and pins for the floating shelves. The small drawers on the bottom of the unit are constructed of Baltic birch using box joints similar to the desk cabinet drawers.Both units were rattle can sprayed with gloss white enamel (per clients wish) and the drawers were shot with a couple coats of lacquer. I'm sure that I would have been money and time ahead if I had just bought the IKEA unit but this build kept me off the streets (and out of the wife's hair) for a time. I am glad I am only a hobbyist, it would be difficult to make a living with clients like mine.Thanks for look'in in, all comments are welcome and I will return in a few months providing I'm not evacuated again due to fires and/or floods.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Oct-2020

Comments:

A decent likeness of my niece's Horse

A decent likeness of my niece's HorsePattern by J.G.B. Uncanny likeness of Bindie.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Oct-2020

Cat on a limb

Cat on a limbAnother pattern from Judy.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Oct-2020