My recliner had the covering by the cup holder going bad on the right side.Sorry, I tried about 4 times to get two pictures, but can only seem to load one. Anyway it has a slight tear just to the front. I had tried the super glue route—split right back open—not large just annoying.Started thinking bout hw to fix it. Decided to just add accents. Picture is one of them. Same on the other arm too.I do not know the wood species, relatively hard though. Using the hole saw, and the scrollsaw. Then some sanding.The torch said it wanted to play a little too. Besides the wood was a little to light of color anyway.Sanded to smooth with 320 on the ros.. Then several quick coats of walnut oil. Lightly rounded edges on the router table.Works so well it is not even attached to the chair. The cup holders hold then in place nicely.
Found the plans in Fine woodworking Magazine. Scooped the seat using a skill saw, then steam bending the ends of the legs took some time but looks and makes the stool very stable. I made the seats with color , two pieces of walnut between maple set-of the looks of the seat, the foot rest is put in the leg square and I machined that out with a Rougher.