Not sure of the wood I used on this one, but I want to find out. It was a pleasure to cut. The scroll saw work on this project was easy, it was gluing it together that tried my patience. I only built one so did not want to spend time building jigs to hold and clamp things with. I just held each joint in place until the glue was set enough I could safely let go. Took a while but mission accomplished.
Lidded box turned from cherry wood harvested locally from a friend of a friend. Purpose-turned to decorate the lid. The picture is a drawing by my wife (who has the real talent in this house), and I pyro'd into the Lid. The box is about 3-1/2 inches diameter and about 3-1/2 inches tall.
One of you LJ's made a comment about not thinking a pattern thru to the end and this is a perfect example of NOT working things out before you start. Most of my Segmented things have had 12 piece rings and I decided to go for 36 this time because of the size, no problem with that though. Then I decided on the pattern, WHOOPS a 7 piece pattern doesn't work when there are only 36 pieces in the ring. By this time I had cut all the pieces and I wasn't going to throw them out. The next problem arose after I'd glued the rings together and that was—to maintain the pattern the pieces couldn't overlap, creating a straight join and thus weaken the whole thing. To overcome this I “PURPOSELY” aligned the rings just a little bit out of line to give a little bit of overlap. “THAT's MY EXCUSE ANYWAY” The bowl is 13.5 in wide and 6 in tall, made from Jarrah and Tasmanian Oak. Finished with Hampshire sheen, and Shellawax Glow.Thanks for looking and C & C welcome.Bob.