In March of 2019 I decided to dig up a walnut stump. This is the stump from the tree I used to build my kitchen table. It was in the woods ~ 100 yards from my home growing up. After about 40 hours of digging by hand, I rented an excavator to lift the stump from the hole. I took the stump to a local mill and had it slabbed, but left ~ 1/4 of it intact to make a coffee table. Even when quartered, it was heavy. I would estimate the table weighs about 350 lbs. It was interesting trying to move it around and I had to get pretty creative. After drying for 5-6 months in my basement, I went ahead and finished it with 100% tung oil mixed with citrus solvent. I expect I will be re-finishing every year or so. Also, I'm hoping it will do most of it's movement in the next 5 years or so. Once I think it's mostly done moving, I plan to fill in the cracks and finish it again. I did have to fashion a wrought iron leg as it will not stand by itself.I always felt like I was rolling the dice as there was a lot of spongy sap wood as I was digging. The beetles/bugs made for some very nice designs and the heartwood was completely intact. Pictures hardly do it justice, the grain is very nice when the light hits it right.I hope you enjoy.
My wife has a friend who is slightly vertically challenged and she asked if I could make her a step stool to use for getting into bed. I looked through my wood stash and found some of the left over oak 1×6 material that had been salvaged out of some old church pews and used in a table build a couple of years ago. This is what I came up with. 10” wide x 20” long and 12” tall. The legs have a 1” taper. The stretchers are glued to the legs and backed up with dowels. The top/step is glued and backed up with pocket hole screws. Finished with a couple of wipe on coats of Verathane cognac stain. I had hoped it would finish darker but she seemed pleased with it so the color will have to do. It passed the fat man weight test with flying colors so should have a safety factor of at least 5 for normal sized folks.. lol
This posting is about the jig rather than the maple frame. This jig takes a while to make correctly, but is so handy when doing frames. 'specially the larger frames. This particular frame is for a 16×20 print and this jig handles it perfectly. If you've already made your own version please feel free to post pictures in the comment section along with helpful hints on construction.......rookieII