August 2020

Air filter carts for school

Air filter carts for schoolThis is Jay Bates idea, not mine. His blog about it is here: https://jayscustomcreations.com/2016/05/mobile-air-cleaner-cart/I added a few personal touches though. I put the switch down low to be operated by a foot, and so it could be flush mounted. I also found a male 3-prong power adapter so I could just use a whole extension cord without chopping the end off of it. Then I added a reel of sorts to easily store the cord when it needs to be moved around. And lastly a piece of expanded metal sheet to keep curious hands out of the blower fins. Otherwise it's pretty much just Jay's design.Gotta say, thee things really move the air, even on medium or low!I was originally going to make one of these for my shop. I had the filters ready to go and a blower from my old furnace that was just replaced this summer. But I felt since my wife is a teacher and her school is reopening in-person right now, that they could use it more. Further, she's a music teacher and any kind of instruments or singing is inherently higher risk due to the pandemic. They intend to keep making music as safely as possible. So for all these reasons I decided they could use them more than me. I'm instructing them to never run when people are around to avoid making air currents that could increase transmission, and to only run them if they have a period of 1hr or more to be sure it can actually filter the air as opposed to just stirring things up. So between classes if a room is vacant for the hour, or overnight.I had enough filters for 2 so I did some sleuthing and found another furnace blower for free and just built 2. No idea if these will help, but if it helps even one kid or teacher or custodian I'll be happy. With my use recommendations it certainly won't hurt anything.Stay safe everyone! Here's a few more pics of the build.

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Aug-2020

Fire Lamp

Fire LampBurned maple (Shou Sugi Ban) and quarter-sawn cherry veneer shade. I think this needs a longer bulb to allow the glow to extend further down the veneer.

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Aug-2020

8 x 4 SUV Sheet Carrier System

8 x 4 SUV Sheet Carrier SystemRecently traded in my old 2004 Honda Pilot for a new one. Mrs. Fleamo didn't want me to trash the interior on my lumber runs, so I engineered and built a set of shelves that permit me to easily slide drywall or plywood in and out without scuffing the nice leather and trim. The front two shelves drop into the cupholders and the back one I will glue and screw now that I have the correct pitch. Added soft flocking on the thin uppers of the rear shelf to protect the vehicle. Put old backpacking bedroll padding on the backside of the front one to protect the front seats. Works real well and Mrs. Fleamo approves!

posted at: 12:00am on 31-Aug-2020

New backs on old nook

New backs on old nookI made this kitchen nook for my niece a couple years ago. She recently moved and part of the backs will show now. We were gonna just stain to match but could not get the stain so that lead to these. She loves it so I'm happy.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Aug-2020

Joiners mallet

Joiners malletI found this chunk of wood at a customer's home yesterday and thought it would make a good mallet. Quick project I started last night after work and when I woke up this morning it was almost done. I think the wood is Eucalyptus(it sure smells like menthol working it) and the handle is some. cherry scrap. Mostly done by hand tools. From stump to thump in a few hours. Nothing fancy but I think you should make one.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Aug-2020

Japanese Pendant Lights

Japanese Pendant Lights This is one of the projects I work on while waiting for an oil stain to dry on cabinets or other items I build.
I mix my own stains from artis oil and the stain can take up to 2 weeks to dry.
I drew this Japanese pine from photos I found on the Internet.
I wanted to replace some old glass shades in the ceiling of a hallway in our home. I looked on the web and found some nice pendants in the A & C style made from stainded glass and QSWO. They cost over $1250.00 each.
So I decieded to make my own from mahogany.I bought the Mahogany from Austin Hardwoods & Hardware in So. Ca. and Glued two 6” wide pieces to geather
and cut them down to 9 x 12 pieces and resawed them to a 3/8” thickness on the band saw.
I brought the drawing and wood to a local CNC shop and “Little Black Duck” was right. They sent me home and ask me to black out all the negative spaces that were to be cut out.I made a copy and worked on it for an hour with a fine tip gel pen they gave me.
Here's the 9 x 12 after it was cut out on the CNC Laser. Jeff told me they couldn't cut pieces as small as 9 x 6” that's why they had to be glued togeather.I told them if they would take photos of the Laser cutting the Mahogay I would mention their company name but they forgot.Here I'm heating the glue with a heat gun to seperate the pieces.The burnt black inside parts from the Laser adds depth to the lights.
I built this miter cutting sled to accurately cut the 45's on the pieces.
You can see a hole at the bottom rear so the cut pieces can exit. Don't stand behind it.
Gluing up the sides.

Cutting four pieces to fit inside the top of the pendants
Rubber bands worked great holding the pieces together until the glue dried.After the glue dried I put the small piece inside the top and drilled holes for the screws.
Attaching the insert.

Fitting the porcelain socket.
After sanding the heads of the SS screws I painted them to match the wood.

Rounding off the top of the Cord Grip/Strain Relief nut I made. It has a 1/4 SS set screw that clamps it to the cord.

I started painting poly wipe on in the cut out parts by hand. To much work. I finished the job with spray on poly.

Gluing a Bottom ledge for the glass
I have this sliding fence jig to cut angles on parts. Here I'm making a 15 angle for the top of the light.

I bought these 12x12 stained glass pieces at Hobby Lobby.
Putting dabs of clear silicone to hold the glass in place.
Clamping the glass in place.
Attaching the wires.The photo set up. The background is a reproduction of a William Morris fabric. It's call Black Thorne 1883 that I bought on Etsy from a seller called Rocking Robbins.
The water color is a painting I did from a book I have on Japanese wood cuts. It's 16 H x 12 W.
It was made in 1770 by artist Koryusai.It's titled Girls Feeding Carp.Thanks for visiting!

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Aug-2020

TV Built In

TV Built InModern Look with a beer budget.
Laminate panels, melamine shelf unit with led lighting, bottom 4 drawers have undermount soft close guides.
Not much more to it.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Aug-2020

Family & Friends Cradle

Family & Friends CradleI built this cradle over 16 years ago for my son. It is red oak with a polyurethane finish.It has been passed along to family and friends over the years for their children.We have a brass name tag printed each time the cradle gets passed along for a new family addition.It is now on it's way to my nephew and his wife for their newborn after a couple minor touch ups on the finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Aug-2020

Cypress Heart Stools

Cypress Heart StoolsI made these two stools about a year apart. The first was the proof of concept… the second was the errr concept? I had some Cypress logs and got the idea to make a heart shaped bar stool. I used a router sled and some supports to flatten the ends of the logs, then a combination of electric chain saw, angle grinder with carving blade and flap disk, scrub plane and random orbit sander.The heart shape is conducive to supporting a posterior due to similar shape and the the odd looking bird's mouth at the front is a fairly effective foot rest. Then carved handles on the sides make it easier to move.For finish I tried Outdoor Defense Tung Oil which has zinc in it to protect against sun and mold. The Tung oil is naturally waterproof. I had never used this finish before so I used it on the first stool and left it outside by our pool bar for a year. I have to say it has held up well. I liked it well enough to use it on the second one a year later. These could easily be used indoors with the same finish.Source: For more photos and details. Heart Bar Stool

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Aug-2020

Cambridge pedestal dining table

Cambridge pedestal dining tableThis is a 12' long Cambridge pedestal dining table.
The top is solid sap white hard maple, while the pedestals are made from 16/4 solid ash.
Finished with one of our proprietary colors and topped off with Target Coatings CV8000, cross-linked of course.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Aug-2020

2 versions of this custom table

2 versions of this custom tableThese 2 tables both have 92” x 50” oval solid white oak tops. One finished with Ilva 2k and the other is finished with black waterborne poly, topped off with Target Coatings 9300.
The bases are a custom design made from a lot HDF, covered with 2 layers of 1/8” bendy ply, and finished with white oak veneer.
I made the bases extra heavy to help support all the extra table top overhang.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Aug-2020

Upcycled, End Grain Cutting Board

Upcycled, End Grain Cutting BoardWe had these old timbers laying around from pallete pieces I believe. I picked a few out that were vastly more dense than the others. I created a right angle on 2 sides using the table saw and then the opposite sides with the planar. Glued them, ripped them, flipped them, and re-glued them. Glued up wasnt perfect so I used a router like a CNC table and flat cut them all. Cleaned them and oiled and waxed.They came out phenomenal, the only thing is, I have no idea what kind of wood any of it is. HELP if you know any of the 6 species in the boards.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Aug-2020

First epoxy work

First epoxy workHey all!! I know it's been a long time! I've been crazy busy with work and adjusting to life with a second little one! She is 7 months now and I'm finally sleeping enough to remember to post some of my projects!Anyways this is two end tables I made for a co worker from a tree I cut down when I built my shop. The center was rotted out. Use epoxy and soap pigment to fill the center then sealed and finished it with epoxy. This was the first epoxy work I've done so I was pretty happy with the results.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Aug-2020

Shop counters

Shop countersAfter several years of having scrap MDF and plywood sitting unsecured to my cabinets I finally got around to putting some tops on them! Got a steal on some birch butcher block counters. Cut to size and turned the scrap cut offs into cutting boards.. worked great I virtually had no waste aside from the saw kerf!

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Aug-2020

Misc bottle stoppers

Misc bottle stoppersOne of my contractors asked for some random stuff to be able to hand out. Here are a few simple stoppers, beer opener and cutting board he wanted. Made a mistake on one stopper and turned a section to narrow so I decided to re shape it as a wine glass and mixed up some epoxy tinted as close as I could to wine! He loved it and actually wants more.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Aug-2020

Wooden spoon / ladle

Wooden spoon / ladleThere was a need to replace the favourite porridge ladle. After a session in the workshop I replicated the original one. The wood is linden (harvested from a big tree that we took down in our garden several years ago) and is finished with food safe mineral oil. Note the flat front which makes it easy to scrape the bottom of the pot.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Aug-2020

Picture frame support

Picture frame supportEvery time I made a picture frame I ended up cobbling together a some scraps to hold the frame for finishing. I finally decided that was a waste of time and made this holder. It'll adjust to any size frame up to 2' x 3'. It could be any size if you use long enough threaded rods. Construction is pretty simple and should be obvious from the picture. I goofed at my first attempt and didn't leave enough room from the top of the support above the rods. So I just glued on some pieces to raise it up. I should have done that in the first place since it was much easier to glue on a thin piece of plywood rather than cut a rabbet. Drill the holes on a drill press with a fence so that all the holes line up.George

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Aug-2020

BROKEN WING

BROKEN WINGThis box had a broken wing and a few other damage issues that needed to be addressed so a bit of debating about the solution .
Well the answer was remove the original wings and come up with a new and different design and make new
faces for the lid and do some caving on the lid and refinish areas that had slight damage .The repair turned out just nice and also changed the look of the box .The comment about the damage was , it was on the desk and when i came back it was on the floor it may have been the cat .

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Aug-2020

Home for No. 8

Home for No. 8I have an admitted weakness for collecting carpenter planes and pocketknives. A few years ago, I found a Stanley No. 8 in a Buffalo, Wyoming, antiques store. After paying what I rationalized was a pretty fair price for the relic, I brought it home, knocked off the first layer of gunk and put it on a shelf.For the past two weeks I've been puttering around in our garage workshop, building a wooden case out of salvaged redwood. Now my No. 8 has a proper home. If I could live two more lifetimes and train at the hand of a master woodworker, I might (underline that word) learn how to properly use this biggest of the Stanley planes that range in size from the tiny No. 1 through the 24-inch, 9 3/4 lb. No. 8.Along the way, I'm continuing to learn more about the challenges of working with salvage lumber. The redwood was saved from our former deck. Piece by piece, I'm working through the pile of mostly 2×6 boards, learning how to safely resaw, plane out the twists and edge the pieces so they can be reused for all manner of home workshop and craft projects. I've also made several Japanese-style boxes and still struggle with proper placement of the narrow pieces that become the lid closure and lock.This box was finished on the outside with paint I picked up at our local Habitat for Humanity store. The inside received a coat of BLO and then paste wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Aug-2020

Cherry occasional table

Cherry occasional tableGood afternoon everyone.New to the forum. First post. This is a Cherry table I made a few years back. Mission style expose joinery.Thanks!

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Aug-2020

Rowing boat

Rowing boatFinally decided to make something for myself.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Aug-2020

maple live edge bowl

maple live edge bowlThis is another maple piece, made from a tree that came down in the CT tornado of May of 2018. It is a little over 12 inches, and sanded to 4000 grit, and finished with a mix of poly & caranuba wax that is heated until the wax is melted, then applied when the mixture is hot.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Aug-2020

Black Walnut Urn for my Daughters pup Lukin

Black Walnut Urn for my Daughters pup LukinMy daughter asked if I would make an urn for her pup, Lukin, that passed away. I turned the hollow form out of black walnut, and the top from some maple burl. I ordered the brass threaded inserts, which comes with a gasket to use when closing urn up, and used epoxy to attach the threaded insert and threads to the base and top, as required. It is finished in walnut oil and beeswax

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Aug-2020

Charcuterie Boards

Charcuterie BoardsMade from Black Walnut, each piece is 11” wide. One board is 48 inches long and the other is 37 inches long. They are both finished with several coats of Murphy's walnut utility finish, then a coat of Murphy's walnut oil/wax is applied. Once set, it is buffed.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Aug-2020

Chinese woodworking tools drawings

Chinese woodworking tools drawingsDrawings of some Chinese tools are available for free download

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Aug-2020

24" Compass

24" CompassI think this will be my last compass. It is 24” from pivot to point and made from 3/4” Brazilian Rosewood. It will swing a 64” circle. It is finished with Danish Oil and then buffed and waxed. This is the prettiest wood I ever worked with and I am very allergic to it so I had a respirator on for every operation but I still did get some bad symptoms from it .
All the brass pieces were turned from solid stock and the tip is hardened tool steelI have the need for some big radii some times and made a lot of cardboard templates up to 150” and I grab them for the best fitting one but sometimes they just don't fit right so now I can easily make one up to a 32” radius.I added some process shots below of the steps I use to make one of these. I used my last 12” one to layout the curved arm for this one!Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Aug-2020

Handpainted nightlite

Handpainted nightliteHandpainted mermaid personalized nightlite. Has multipattern chasing lights. Made from an old rustic house window.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Aug-2020

Comments:

Walnut bench with butterfly inlay

Walnut bench with butterfly inlayBeen quite some time since I posted a project. This was a birthday present for my wife and ended up at the foot of our bed. It is a live edge slab of french walnut with a paduak and cherry inlaid butterfly and birch inlays as the “flight path”. Legs are basic powder-coated steel.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Aug-2020

Peel, Board, and Cutter

Peel, Board, and CutterPizza time!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Aug-2020

Goofing Around Projects

Goofing Around ProjectsI'm running out of projects so I had to create a few to keep busy The first one is a donut bowl made out of piece of walnut that was laying on the barn bench for months . It finished up at 3 1/2” x 1 1/2”. The second one is a bowl made from a piece of beech( I think) that I laid on the ground for months thinking it would spalt some more but the spalting never got past the sap wood. It is 6 3/4” x 1 3/4” . They are finished with Danish Oil and buffed and waxedThe last one is not wood but was fun to build. It is a wind mill made from aluminum, nylon and old CD's..and 3 bearings I bought for my old Craftsman lathe and never used.Mores shots of it are below.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Aug-2020

Dropleaf Couch Table

Dropleaf Couch TableBig family means big holiday meals and lots of table space. We decided to make a table that would be useful behind the couch, but easy enough to use as a second/third dining table.I really don't like the way traditional drop leaves stand out away from the top surface when down, and have that funny rounded cove, so I came up with the geometry to make the drops tuck in below the table top. If you flip the hinge over and recess the hinge pin into the center top section, it will pivot so that the drop leaf tucks away. (see the drawing picture) I gave the joining edges a 10 degree angle just so the edge wouldn't look so square.The base is admittedly a bit odd. It might be too subtle to see in the pics, but the legs have a twist from 0 degrees under the table to the 11 degree angle of the the X-base. it was a lot of hand shaping to get not much of an effect.The ugly shiny galvanized bolt is not visible until you crawl under, and since then I have researched ways of blackening steel.The wood is all cherry, Watco danish oil finish. 30” inches tall, 6 ft. long, 14” wide leaves down, 28” wide leaves up.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Aug-2020

Leopardwood, Ash and Walnut "Inlaid" Dovetail Box

Leopardwood, Ash and Walnut "Inlaid" Dovetail BoxBox number 31 in my recent box series.This box was also commissioned by my friend that commissioned the Fireman's Commemorative Box and the Inlaid Dovetail Box. It is made of leopardwood, walnut and ash. The inset ingot on the lid is leopardwood.
I used a table saw, jointer and planer to mill the wood and to cut the angles and dimensions.
The inlays on the ash lid are made from strips of walnut and leopardwood. There are similar leopardwood inlays in the ash base too. I used bamboo dowels to reinforce the joint for the shallow pocket the body of the box sits in and there are hidden spines in the lid and base.The body is leopardwood with handcut dovetails and include ash inlays around them in the style developed by Tage Frid. I may have to retire this style of box as it is becoming an exclusive design for this client. He has one for each member of his family now.In addition to the brass hinges I have installed a lid stop for the 105 degree cant for the open lid. I used inch dowel that accommodates similar sized cove cut into the rails and stiles of the lid.Dimensions are as follows…Outside dimensions of the Leopardwood, Ash and Maple Inlaid Dovetail Box are 7 inches wide and 9 inches long. The box is about 3 inches deep and with the lid and base it is about 4 1/5 inches tall. The interior tray is 6 inches by 8 inches and is 1 inches deep and rests on 1 inch posts that create a second compartment below the tray. It is constructed from poplar wood and both the tray and the box bottom are lined with black felt.The finish is three coats of Tung oil. Then a mixture of oil based polyurethane and mineral spirits. That was followed by buffing out the finish with crumpled brown paper. I used Trewax brand paste wax for the matte sheen that it can be buffed out to reveal.Comments and criticisms are welcome.
Jon

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Aug-2020

Raised Bed Garden Project

Raised Bed Garden ProjectMy wife has used a few small “grow boxes” to raise vegetables for our table. This year with all the time we've spent at home, and her desire to expand her garden, she requested a raised bed structure with a fence to keep out unwelcome critters, specifically rabbits and deer. We found a design we both agreed on and I went to work.The structure is made out of pressure treated lumber held together with exterior construction screws. The neighbor was using a small backhoe at just the right moment and come over to level the spot. We have several inches of gravel to drain away water and minimize mud. I used plastic coated wire mesh for the fencing. I lined the insides of the boxes with sheet plastic to minimize soil contact with the PT chemicals.My wife is very happy with the structure. The grow mix we filled the boxes with has worked really well so far. We bought a soaker hose and a programmable water timer for when we went away for a few days recently. Even though our area has been unusually dry this summer, the garden is growing like crazy as the photos show.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Aug-2020

Carved monogram valet tray

Carved monogram valet trayI had been leaving my keys on the nightstand night after night, and always worried they'd eventually end up scratching up the finish on my nightstand, so I decided to make this valet tray to give a proper home to my keys, wallet, and phone at night. It's made from walnut that I salvaged from an old end table.Before I started, I thought routing out the recesses would be the trickiest, most interesting part. In reality that part was a bit underwhelming (messy though!). The harder part was making the template for routing, and the lots of card scraping and sanding of the recesses to smooth everything out.Other than a bit of practice on some scraps, this was my first time carving. After all the time spent routing, scraping, and sanding, I was really praying my amateur carving skills wouldn't ruin the thing!I learned some things along the way with this one, and the noticeable imperfections will serve as a reminder of those lessons forevermore. But all in all, I'm pleased with how it turned out. And I'm a bit of a neat freak, so for me, it's satisfying to have a perfect place to set all my things at night.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Aug-2020

Thin strip planing jig

Thin strip planing jigThis past weekend was dedicated to restoring a Stanley No. 30 transitional, then build a planing jig for small parts. For a thickness of up to an inch and can also handle tapered parts as the sides are adjustable.Pictures:
1 & 2 show the plane and jig, the 3/4” dowel fits in any dog hole
3, 4, 5 I used the jig to make 1/8” and 1/4” shims for easy setup.
6 several walnut strips for an upcoming lamp build.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Aug-2020

Folding kayak stands - quick and clean DIY - post

Folding kayak stands - quick and clean DIY - postFolding kayak stands
quick and clean DIYAs some of you know, I have bought my self a wonderful little allotment house, right in the middle of the fields, in Denmark. Having spend a good year on restoring the house, I found it was time to look outside the small plot and so I bought my self a sea kayak, to row the sea and the lakes around here.
From yesterdays row, Storstm, Denmark.So the project came out of need, I wanted stands, so I could sore it in my front garden between uses and when it needs cleaning after use, or for fix mand repairs.You can read more and see drawing in the blog: https://www.lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/131465The project was almost a direct copy of these that I found on the www. Thank you to: Richard Jensen & Chantal Ethier.
Pictures:
1. Kayak on the stands.
2. Unfolded kayak stand.
3. Allotment woodworking.
4. Folding stop.
5. In use.
6. Folded up, for transport or storage.

I hope you are all fine and finding your ways, through these crazy times of pandemic, mad politicians in many countries now and a world, that some how seem to be spinning faster than we can control these daysHope it can be to some inspiration, now we can sing, stand by me…
Ohhh shut up MaFe!.Best thoughts,MaFe

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Aug-2020

Comments:

Two small saw horses (japanese inspired)

Two small saw horses (japanese inspired)This evening I finished my two small (japanese inspired) saw horses. Made from construction lumber (pine) and finished with boiled linseed oil.They are in now way perfect. But I intend to use them. Putting them on the ground. Banging on them and probably cut into them by mistake with a saw or two.I made them with a combination of hand tools and power tools. They are glued and screwed togheter. The screw holes are covered with some oak plugs (I like the contrast). I think they turned out quite cute, more like two mini saw puppies…

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Aug-2020

Dog Steps

Dog StepsThis was a quick weekend project I tossed together for my boxer Mack. He turned 12 in February and had his yearly checkup last Thursday. They found arthritis in his hips and since he insists on sneaking into the bed at night I figured it best if he had some steps. The only things I needed to pick up for this project were the rug for the stair treads, the corner trim, and some stain. Everything else was scraps I had on hand.I made a frame out of a 2×6 that had been in my shop for months. I milled that down to 1-3/8” square stock for the frame. The sides are sheathed in 1/2” birch and the treads are 3/4” ply of some variety.The finish is a 2 part stain with an undercoat in ebony and a top coat in espresso. On top of that are 2 coats of wipe on satin poly and then MinWax special dark to finish it off.I don't own a jointer and I don't like planer sleds so I used a #8 and a #6 to help with milling the 2×6 before it went thru the lunch box and final dimensioning on the table saw.And the last pic is Mack being an idiot on the living room floor because that's what he does.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Aug-2020

Comments:

Decline of Money Control.

Decline of Money Control.Boys and Girls,It's house-keeping in the LBD household, however, I will keep this short, if not necessarily sweet.I made this money clip a few years ago from a Craft Supplies kit.It comprises of a jarrah disc and two letters laser cut/inlaid in the disc. The letter K is out of merbau and the A is out of pine… only cause I couldn't spell LBD.With the onset of C19, we are quickly turning into a cashless society and I am just wondering if anyone out there hasn't realised this swing and brags the initials of AK... There might be a money clip up for grabs.Other than the gallery photos, I'm not going into any more detail as I don't believe it's shelf life is beyond a collector's item classification.PS. Before being accused of being a RF (rich bugger)... pictures #1 and #2 are a before and after depiction of my unplanned retirement. Picture #2 is a print on the back of a punched card (some people may remember them and for those that can't, some museums may still carry them).

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Aug-2020

Comments:

Another wood strip project run, hopefully my last!

Another wood strip project run, hopefully my last!Like the title says another wood strip project run. I'm pretty burned out with wood strip projects. This is the latest I've come up with to use up leftovers. I've got enough for 7 more clip boards. Hopefully, this will be the end of wood strips.
I made different sizes for various different size notepads. Nothing to complicated here. I've made at least a dozen of these. They seem to go over well as gifts.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Aug-2020

Platter From Rough and Used Offcuts

Platter From Rough and Used OffcutsGood Morning..When looking at the Beautiful Projects on L J s , I noticed some striped Bowls and Platters and this idea appealed to me. There was an abundant supply of off cuts some of it going back to my Grandfathers Farm some 75 years ago. Here was my chance…...So I cut strips of wood from whatever I could find and trying to achieve some kind of colour coordination.It was intended to be a Bowl but the sizes of the strips I cut determined it to be a Platter. It is 10 inches in Diameter and 1 1/4 inch deep. It is finished with three coats of CABOT'S Bench Top Food Safe Varnish which is Water Based.
There are many old nail holes and Gouges in the Old Wood but I thought next time I may be able to make a filler with saw dust and glue…Do you think that would work???Kind regards,Cliff.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Aug-2020

1/2 Bath Remodel (Wood Cabinet) 2020

1/2 Bath Remodel (Wood Cabinet) 2020All though I re-did the entire bathroom, The original sink was a pedestal sink. The wood cabinet is my first ever pick from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. I painted it with white 'Cabinet Paint' and the original knobs and hinges with a speckled bronze spray paint.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Aug-2020

12" Compass

12" CompassI had a lull in projects earlier in the week so I made a compass for use in the barn on layout of pieces for the lathe. I made this one out of mesquite because it is very strong and stable. it is 12” long from the pivot to the point and will draw a circle from 1” diameter to 30 3/4” diameter. This time I made one where the pencil goes up inside the arm instead of on the outside. It will take up to a 4” long pencil and I have a lot of short pencils to keep it supplied for a long time.All the wood parts are mesquite and finished with Danish oil and then buffed and waxed. All the brass parts are tuned from solid stock. The steel tip is hardened tool steel.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Aug-2020

Mallet

MalletAn afternoon hunkering down due to pandemic.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Aug-2020

Comments:

CNC wood carving without the expensive software

CNC wood carving without the expensive softwareHi fellow Jocks,I build a CNC router on the outfeed table of my table saw a few years ago and always wanted to try my hands at carving (sort of speak since it's the spindle doing the work)For a long time I got stuck because I didn't want to invest in the expensive software like VCarve.As it turns out, with Fusion 360 (free for hobbyists) and a bit of learning, you can take most of existing stl files from sites like Thingiverse and stlfinder and carve beautiful designs in wood.All these carvings can be done with one or 2 bits (roughing and finishing)The lion head took 3 hrs (1 hr roughing and 2hr for the ballnose 2mm endmill final pass), the cross took about half that. They required very minimal sanding afterward – the lion is pretty much straight form the machine and 2 coats of Shellac.If you guys are interested I can post a blog entry with the method and tools I use.
Fusion 360 is a fantastic piece of software and for the longest time I limited myself to parametric modeling/machining, the ability to process stl files into CAM is opening for me new horizons.Thanks for watching.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Aug-2020

Merlin 3B+ Speaker Refurbish

Merlin 3B+ Speaker RefurbishThis is a pair of Merlin 3B+ speakers made in Rochester, NY circa 1990. These were given to me by a former Kodak co-worker, who also worked part time with me for Merlin around the time these speakers were made. His wife was tired of looking at them, and thought they were too big. Odds are good that I had a hand in the original manufacture of these 30 years ago. Without question I can lay claim to 100% of the refurbishment!The original foam covering had completely disintegrated, the wood finish had some minor damage, one of the woofers had come disconnected, and the midrange and tweeter potentiometers needed some cleanup. The bottoms are loaded with sand, and they weigh over 100# each. These were a very serious pair of high end speakers that retailed for close to $1000/pr, and still sound pretty amazing even by today's standards. I owned a pair of Merlin 4s years ago until I made the speakers I still use today.I cured the performance ills, sanded and re-oiled the oak caps, and re-wrapped the tubes with 1/4” 30 ppi filter foam. ~ $45 of materials, and they're back to looking like new. I had enough foam left over to wrap another small pair of speakers I had made in the mid 90s, and out of guilt offered them to the guy who gave me the Merlins, and he accepted. Those are a pretty respectable sounding little pair of speakers too with solid cherry wood.Merlin 3B+:

.Here are the Sterling ST-10s that I offered in trade:

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Aug-2020

Scrap Wood Gifts - Coasters

Scrap Wood Gifts - CoastersEvery so often, after enough other projects have either been completed or abandoned, the wood pile in my shop tends to have lots of oddly shaped, small pieces of wood that just aren't big enough to do much with. I imagine most of you are like me when it comes to this trait, but especially on hardwoods, I have a difficult time throwing scraps away, even if I know its such a small amount its unlikely it will get used. Its just such nice wood, and rather expensive.; and In the back of my mind, I always tell myself ill come up with something for it. Usually this is a lie I tell myself and I have a pile full of mismatched odds and ends pieces. To rectify this issue, about once a year I'll make a batch of these end grain coasters. They seem to be popular gifts, and in truth, its kind of a fun little project.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Aug-2020

Scroll Saw Art Cowboy Boots

Scroll Saw Art Cowboy BootsWith my old 1968 Delta Scroll Saw fully restored and up and running, I made my first project on it this Cowboy Boots art. The pattern is by Steve Good of the Scrollsaw Workshop www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com and are fee for download. The cutout is Red Oak plywood witch a golden oak wood stain on it, and I made the frame from Cherry hardwood. It was all finished with a couple coats of gloss spray polyurethane. This was certainly a fun and relatively quick project and I am looking forward to more scroll saw projects now.Thank you for stopping by,Matthew Stillwell

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Aug-2020

Walnut River Desk for My Son

Walnut River Desk for My SonWell, my son is 13 and will be doing online school this semester at least, so he needed a proper desk. I just so happened to have finished my drying shed to kiln dry lumber from my mill. We picked a nice walnut slab and cut it in half and then chose a layout for the river. He liked this way so he could have the little pond at the end too. Doing the epoxy was a challenge and made a mess, but turned out really well. I had to put together a router planer to surface the top. The legs are more live edge slabs that were from a short log that I had. The legs are just put together with screws and glue. The back panel is a live edge slab about 12 wide. Finish is satin oil based poly. I considered things like Odies oil and other oils, but ultimately decided it need a much more impervious finish to protect from the terrible things he will do to the desk over the years. He helped with it a lot and we enjoyed the build. It is 58 long and 24 deep. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Aug-2020

Dog Crate Night Stand/End Table

Dog Crate Night Stand/End TableA while back some friends of mine got a new puppy and were having all the normal troubles people have with puppies and sleeping. They managed to crate train the pup, but really didn't like the aesthetics of a wire crate. They also lived in an apartment at the time where space is at a premium. Tying up useful real estate with an ugly crate just wasn't functional for them for the long haul. While talking to them about this situation I decided I could probably come up a solution that pulled double duty as a side table of sorts and worked as a crate, and I was reasonably confident that I could create something that looked at least as good as a spartan wire crate. I figured, at least in the looks department, the bar was set pretty low with the wire crate.To be perfectly honest, this was a bigger challenge than I thought it was going to be. I sketched up a design that I thought was a nice blend of arts and crafts and mission style to match their headboard and was ready to start. Almost as an afterthought, I decided I had better ask them how big this puppy was going to get when it was full grown before I started the milling process. As it turns out, my original plan was far too small for their pup to grow into. Because this was supposed to function as a table of sorts, simply scaling up my original plan didn't really work all that well because it violated too many of the space constraints for where they envisioned putting this. Because of these adjustments, the end result is a piece of furniture that looks a lot more like a dog crate than I had originally planned.Thankfully, my initial assessment about the aesthetic bar being so low with a wire crate that it would be hard to not make something that was an improvement proved correct just not not by the margin I thought. It certainly wasn't as easy as I thought it would be either.The whole table/crate is made of flat sawn white oak except for the legs and table top banding, which are quarter sawn. Its entirely constructed with mortise and tenon joinery with a floating table top.The owners were happy with it and apparently so was pup. Below is a picture of him on the inaugural sleep trial. The dogs is full sized now, but I'm told he still goes in here when he wants his own space or to take naps, though I don't think he spends the nights in there any more.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2020

Walden pedestal dining table

Walden pedestal dining tableHere is one of our Walden pedestal tables. This one is 40” x 84” with an additional 24” of leaves. The finish is General Finishes Enduro black poly topped with Target Coatings satin EM9300 with 5% cross-linker added.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2020

Wine-Barrel Shop Stool

Wine-Barrel Shop StoolHiJust finished another wine-barrel stool. Made from the staves of a wine barrel. The wood is 'white oak', and this material is fabulous to work with.This one is 26” tall, and has leather on the seat.
It also swivels, and has a footrest made from a barrel hoop.As you can imagine, it's REALLY sturdy and will last a generation or two, God willing.Now I need some more barrels. I've got a few more projects in mind.Till then, thanks for checking out my work :-)Bill

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Aug-2020

Lamp base

Lamp baseMy wife wanted a couple lamps to go with the nightstands I made. I made this one on the tablesaw with a circle jig and then glued it all together and shaped it with files and sanders. I really like the way it turned out. The last picture is From an old Lamp we had. I just took out the wiring and shade and put it on to see how it looked.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2020

Dust Collection Upgrade - Wynn Filter and Oneida Cyclone

Dust Collection Upgrade - Wynn Filter and Oneida CycloneTHE SITUATION: It's been three years since I installed the Harbor freight dust collector in an outside shed with a home-built chip separator and a new Wynn filter. The chip separator took out the big stuff, but still passed a lot of dust (maybe 20%) which would settle in the filter or the bag. The filter was cleaned out regularly with compressed air as recommended by the manufacturer when the manometer showed an inch (water) of back pressure. This occurred two or three times a year until this summer when the back pressure went up to two inches in a matter of days. It was obvious that it was time to replace the filter.THE FIX: The cost of the new Wynn filter is about $150 so an Oneida four inch cyclone was added to hopefully extend the filter life. It was a bit of luck that the cyclone fit between the fan housing and the trash can. There is just enough flexible hose between the two to lift the cyclone and slide the trash can out. There was also a piece of lexan left from my last project so a window was added in the trash can to monitor the saw dust level.THE RESULTS: In addition to greatly improved air flow, little if any visible dust is getting to the bag under the filter. Oneida's claim that 99% of wood waste is removed before reaching the filter is plausible. All together the cost for filter and cyclone was ~ $350 so I'm hoping to get at least six years before the next filter replacement.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2020

Quarantine Chess Set

Quarantine Chess SetChess set made of Cherry and Walnut.This is the second chess set I've made, and although this piece is a little bit fancier in the joinery, bottom, and magnetic closures, basically all the things a non woodworker wouldn't give a second thought about, or even care to look at, there is one glaring mistake. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Unfortunately, its also one of those mistakes that even a non-craftsman can spot, and know its a mistake rather than a function of the creation process.Even with this flaw, the set functions just fine for its purpose, and will look nice even when not in use. I won't point it out, but I'm sure most viewers will be able to spot it. As for me, I'm glad this is a gift, because all I can see when I look at it is that goofy mistake. I'm sure everyone on here knows exactly what that feels like. If you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't know this feeling, consider yourself lucky. You'll experience it at some point.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Aug-2020

70's Kenworth

70's KenworthI saw the real truck back in 1976. A guy from my hometown built it. Stretched the frame, added the bunkhouse. It was beautiful. This is my version. This took me just over 56 hours to build.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2020

Contemporary 3D Wood Wall Art - Flowing Waves

Contemporary 3D Wood Wall Art - Flowing WavesThis sculpture is an example of a modern 3D wood wall sculpture I designed that captures the expansion and contraction of several smooth flowing waves across the structure. I spent a significant amount of time designing the flowing waves to get the effect I wanted. When gazing at this carving your eyes are quickly drawn into the pattern of the expansion and contraction of the waves at the center of the image. These elements dominate the design and become resting spots for your eyes.The monkey pod wood used for this art piece was carefully sanded and polished to a highly smoothed surface. No dyes or coloring agents were used. The wall art is approximately 9 x 12 x 1. Two mounting brackets are attached to the back of the carving.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2020

Explosive Mahogany Paperweight

Explosive Mahogany PaperweightHave you ever had a really nice piece of scrap in the pile that was just too small to really do anything with, but its nice wood so you just hang on to it forever, hoping someday you'll think of something to do with it? Well, that's what this piece of wood is. I found this block of African Mahogany in the trash bin at a local lumberyard. It looked like the top of a 6×6 post, but only 4 inches or so tall. I actually think it might have been the end of a turning blank, since I can't imagine anyone using mahogany to make a fence post, but I digress. Anyway, it was a nice block of wood and it was free, so I picked it up and sat in the pile in the garage and forgot about it for a year or two.One day the power went out, and while sitting around in boredom, waiting for the storm to pass, I looked at this block, and had an idea. I was limited to hand tools and battery power. Its pretty crude, but lets be honest here, even crude work with nice wood looks pretty good.Theres a spring inside the chamber that is compressed when the trigger shaft is inserted and the pin pushed though. Its just strong enough that when you pull the pin, it has enough force to eject the trigger handle just far enough away from the grenade to fall completely out.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Aug-2020

Two sided bookmark

Two sided bookmarkI wanted to try a two sided bookmark. Here's what I came up with. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out how the octopus arms would look from the back.
I made the starfish by first cutting in the white piece. Then I carefully cut in the purple leaving a thin white line around the edge. Then I dipped a toothpick in white acrylic paint and added the dots you seen in the finished bookmarkGeorge

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Aug-2020

VASE DISPLAY HOLDER

VASE DISPLAY HOLDER A little vase display holder I made for my daughter .Made from a piece of red oak and finished with two colors of spray paint followed with a little sanding to expose some of the first color just a bit.
Nice little project and some good time in the shop .

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Aug-2020

Just a Tool Box made of Ash

Just a Tool Box made of AshResaw a bunch of Ash scraps, and a few of Pine, too. 6 drawers, and a storage compartment on top. Cap rail molding around the bottom edge. Foam pad and a chain for the storage area. Breadboard ends on the 1/4” thick lid.
Antique plated brass hardware.Size? Lid is 17-3/4” long, by 8” at the finger lift….case and lid combine to 8-3/4” tall. Compartment is 1-5/8” deep.
There MIGHT be a build along BLOG somewhere…something about a July Project? I was “Delayed”.....Still on the lookout for a pair of handles…need a way to carry this thing, when it gets filled up..
Thanks for looking in….

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2020

Tractor

TractorJust completed this tractor like most of the models I make it does involve some turning and as it takes a little time I am not filling the house with bowls and other turning. I started this the loco and a truck all on the 17th of may this year and this is the last of the three. Finished with acrylic sander sealer and satin lacquer. Measures 11 1/2” L X 6 1/2” W X 7” T

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2020

Comments:

Mirror "frames" (not really...)

Mirror "frames" (not really...)For some reason we decided to redo a couple bathrooms this summer. We had large mirrors in each. Decided to try to salvage the mirrors but wanted them to look a bit more finished. My husband asked if I could make frames but I didn't see how to do a true frame and still use the hooks that were use previously to hold the mirrors to the wall. Decided to attach the wood directly to the mirrors rather than having the mirrors held within a frame. Used Gorilla adhesive to attach. We were able to use the same clips that hold the mirror in place I just had to router a spot for those. Had to attach the bottom board for each once it was in place as the mirrors had to be tilted to get in place. One was painted poplar (first two pictures) and the other was oak with General Finishes onyx water-based stain along with GF High Performance (like how the grain shows). Not super high level woodworking but one does have nice miters and did a extra thick side to give the illusion of a frame for the first one where the side is visible. Anyway saved some $$$$ by reusing.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Aug-2020

Beetle Kill Pine Accent Bowl

Beetle Kill Pine Accent BowlFrom firewood to an accent bowl….that's what this is.Actually, it's a 26” x 9” bowl made out of pine beetle kill that surprised the heck out of me with the grain. Not only was there blue stain from beetle secretions, but there was also brown streaks that I have no idea what the heck caused them!The bowl was carved mostly using an Arbortech Mini TURBO Planer to rough out the shape followed by their contour sanding disc that also attached to the planer followed by a random orbital sander followed by a whole bunch of hand sanding until I got it down to 400 grit.I was originally going to have a friend who is a professional painter paint the bowl a deep red as an experiment. Problem is the red covered the grain colors, and that's not something I wanted in the finished product.Long story short, it needs one more coat of MinWax gloss hand rubbed poly followed by a coat of beeswax, so I hope I haven't jumped the gun, so to speak, by posting it now before it's actually 'finished'. The finish is actually still slightly tacky, hence the triangle cardboard stands holding it up.The finish is Watco Danish Oil 'Natural' followed by multiple coats of the MinWax with light sanding in between coats followed by that proverbial beeswax.Feedback welcome and TIA.TZH

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Aug-2020

Adirondack chairs

Adirondack chairsAdirondack chairs and table made from Western Red Cedar.Based on Norm's design.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Aug-2020

The Original Woodwork Gateway Drug

The Original Woodwork Gateway DrugI'm pretty sure the humble cutting board project is responsible for fostering interest in woodworking more than any other other project. I say humble, but to be perfectly frank, some of the work people have done on this site are works of art and engineering marvels. Nothing humble about them, they've got it all, form, function, and style to hilt.In addition to their hobby-interest-piquing super power, cuttings boards also seem to be everyones favorite holiday gifts. The sampling above are some of the gifts I've made and passed out the last couple years. The second to last photo with the Purple Heart and Maple boards was my gateway drug, and first “serious” woodwork project. The first board was the most recent one I made just a few months ago. Personally, its my favorite of the bunch. I gave it to my mother.Pro tip- If you're going to give favorites away, there's no better recipient than your mother.

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Aug-2020

Wednesday Workshop 1- Delayed

Wednesday Workshop 1- Delayed Going to be attempting to spend some time in the shop each Wednesday evening for a bit, mostly doing turnings and such. May or may not post all of them as projects but will start a blog on some of the goings on. That being said I got these done last night but the internet was down due to storms in the area so they are a bit delayed.
Made with Maple and Colorwood using the PSI Mini pen kit. Love how they came out and having a lot of fun experimenting with the scraps glue ups.CtL

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Aug-2020

Cherry End Table

Cherry End TableI just finished this end table in cherry, about 18” on each side, 24” tall. I used castle joints for the first time (had to try out my new dado stack). They ended up a bit loose, probably from sanding too much to get the fit looser, and I had to use the glue/sawdust fix to fill some cracks. I used the same pattern of routed channels filled with epoxy/black mica pigment that I used in my last end table (walnut). I was happy with how the bottom braces turned out, I read they are a very strong joint. I wish I had waited a few days to put it together, I just made a table saw sled for tapering legs and would have made that change. Finished it with 3 coats of arm-r-seal. I'm still a novice, but I'm trying something different each time I make something to broaden my skill set. My next project is another end table in walnut like my first one, but with tapered legs and a drawer.

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Aug-2020

Record Player Cabinet -Wine Rack- Buffet Table...Thing

Record Player Cabinet -Wine Rack- Buffet Table...ThingTechnically, this was my first piece of furniture designed and built from scratch. Lots of mistakes along the way, but it was a good learning experience that yielded a suitable piece. The proportions are pretty goofy, but the space it was designed for restricted its length considerably. It was built for someone who wanted something to set their turntable on and display vinyls. They also wanted a place to store their wine and glasses and additional storage. Its a pretty eclectic mix, but the apartment it was made for was very, very tiny. Despite its odd proportions, it looks really quite good inside that little oddly shaped apartment building.Fortunate for the owners, they have since moved to a larger, more normal shaped house. Unfortunately for them, the extra living space really highlights the stubby length of the buffet table? Record cabinet? Wine Rack? Pile of wood? Not sure what to call it, other than unique.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2020

Demilune tables

Demilune tablesWe needed a pair of tables for the basement, so I redesigned the demilune table I built several years ago, reducing the width by 6.” You are well familiar with the numerous steps involved in this type table, so it takes a while.One of those “oh, s*” moment occurred when routing the edge profile, using a router bit that should have been replaced. “Craaack” a,d off split a piece, and the router dug into the edge, as seen in the 3rd photo. I had planned to get them sanded, stained an d finished that day, but you know how these things go. I ran the top across the table saw, removing about 2” and scarfed a piece on and waited overnight for the glue to dry. Meanwhile, a trip to Rockler for a new bit; the old one is as far as I could throw it into the woods.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2020

Chess Set

Chess Set Chess Set made for a friend from quarter sawn white oak leftovers from a chair build and walnut leftovers from a record cabinet build.First time cutting lock joints. Used on the carcass the drawer slides into and the board is doweled into. Good thing they're mostly invisible, because you can tell they were firsts. The recipient liked the set so much he even let me win the inaugural match played on it. Quite generous of him.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Aug-2020

Watch Box from Scraps

Watch Box from ScrapsThis is a watchbox for my youngest son for his 25th birthday.Its really made from some scraps I had . Idigbo makes up the front and back with Walnut for the sides. The Walnut grain flows from top to bottom so it matches the grain on the lid. The lid is a 9mm MDF panel set in a rebate in the Idigbo. The joint is inlayed with box wood and this boxwood inlay is also repeated in the middle of the top panel.There are three watch boxes inside holding two watches each. These are made from 6mm birch ply for the sides and front and back. This was veneered on both sides before I used a router with a top bearing and a template in 6mm MDF to cut all the sides to the same pattern. Corners of these were then all mitred and glued with a 3mm ply veneered panel set in a rabbet for the base. A brass handle was set into two holes drilled in the side panels. The base was lined with pig suede.The compartment below the watch boxes is lined with a Sapele panel split into two sections.The end “extra” box is MDF i veneered , top is solid Iroko and drawers are solid walnut with a piston fit.Box is lined in suede and the hinges were from the Smarthinge range from Andrew Crawford. They are so easy to fit and great quality. Watch pillows are a tan faux leather.
Finish is Shellac and buffed with microcrystaline was .Overall dimensions are 350250135mm

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Aug-2020

DIY Swing With Arbor

DIY Swing With Arbor I was approached by a neighbor that wanted to have a swing built for their back yard. Since there was no where to hang a swing from a porch, I had to make an Arbor for the swing to hang from. In my area the two best outdoor species available are Cedar and Cypress, so i brought the neighbor a piece of each wood and she liked the cedar, so that's what we built! I designed the swing to come apart into 6 main sub components so that it would be easy to move, first to their home, and then to their storage area while they go back to their second home for the summer. It was a lot of fun and you can see the full build video here: https://youtu.be/905ARDk_qCQ

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Aug-2020

Router Table Mortiser

Router Table MortiserI have been making several small end tables with mortise and tenon joints and wanted to see I could design an apparatus to make mortises for the table aprons.Below are a few photos of a my Gen I mortiser that works on a router table. This mortiser has the workpiece plunge into a the fixed router bit instead of plunging the router into the workpieceThe workpiece is clamped to a carriage which can move up and down (Z axis). The carriage is made from aluminum plate and moves up and down on v-bearings.There are two other 'fences' and three 3/8-16 adjusters; the Y adjuster is for aligning the workpiece for and aft with respect the router bit, and two X adjusters to limit X travel to the left and right. My router table also has a lift, so the depth of the mortise of controlled by the lift.After adjusting the Y axis adjuster to align the workpiece for and aft, and the two X axis adjusters, the workpiece is plunged into the router bit and moved left and right between the screw stops.This setup works well as is, but I am sure I will make some refinements down the road to make it easier to set up and operate.

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Aug-2020

Vintage Traveling Tool Chest- Re-Mastered

Vintage Traveling Tool Chest- Re-MasteredThis tool chest had been sitting in horse stable housing old tack for who knows how long before it came into my possession. The owner knew my hobby was to tinker around with wood, so he asked me if I would like this old tool chest he had laying around. I really wasn't sure what to expect, and when I went to collect it, seeing it on the dirt floor and covered in grime I wasn't sure it would be worth the effort of trying to restore. When I had to get help to lift it into the truck, my curiosity was piqued, this thing weighed a ton- empty. I at least wanted to get all the crud off it to see what kind of wood could weigh so much.The first two pictures are pretty much the condition of the chest as I got it. Unfortunately, as I began to clean everything and strip all the paint off (which I'm certain was lead based), it became evident that the aprons were not going to be salvageable. After realizing this, I decided to remove all the aprons and the lid dust seal and scrap it out. The upside to this was it made the carcass much easier to get down to the grain. After finally getting down to bare wood, was amazed to discover that not only was the entire carcass made from 4/4 oak, it was made from a single board! For reference, the carcass is 17” tall, 36” wide, and 18” deep. It was at this point I decided not only would I try and restore the chest, but that I would try and keep as much of the original character as I could. The top was made of soft maple. The edges had warped some, so I was unable to keep the entire panel, but I did manage to flatten enough of it that I could make a coffered top. The squiggles and doodles on top are original to whomever owned it before either I got it, or the guy that I got it from got it. For that matter, maybe the pre-date the chest itself, who knows.Thinking about the life of this chest, I found myself wondering who built it and where? Most especially when was it built? Unfortunately, the answers to most of the questions remain a mystery. I was able to date the hardware from the chest which spanned a couple decades, but the “newest” of the bit was 1934. There was newspaper clipping under the corner of the old bottom from 1955. My best guess, this was build somewhere in the late 30's or 40's on a farm that had its own oak trees. Theres an old lumber mill not far from the barn this came from, so it makes some sense that it probably didn't travel too far from its creator, who would have had access to gigantic oak boards most people wouldn't use for a tool chest that's supposed to be at least somewhat mobile.There weren't any tills in the chest when I got my hands on it, so those are 100% new, and while I really am pleased with how they turned out and how they look in the chest, its almost certainly not true to the style of the original creators. Once finished, I gave the tool chest back the man I got it from for Christmas. He was thrilled with the outcome, and really surprised that I was giving it back to him. I was just as happy to see that I made his day.Below are some pictures of the shelves and progress photos along the way.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2020

More rocking chairs

More rocking chairsSo, after I finished my first rocking chair I asked my wife where she wanted them. Her reply was put them on the front porch. To me, that seemed like sacrilege. I had spent months researching, looking at Maloof rockers and other clones. Not to mention the hours of building and endless sanding. So it went in the house, as did the next one I made. Then one day I came across Gary Weeks website and saw that he made one specifically for outdoors. So I said to myself, challenged accepted! This is the final result. The wife is very happy.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2020

US Map

US Map Some 1/4 inch plywood and recycled maple flooring for the frame.
Frame was all hand tools. Saw, planes, and shooting boards

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Aug-2020

Mahogany Office Desk

Mahogany Office DeskBeing on COVID furlough gave me time to replace my old MDF laminate computer desk with a slight variation on the Home Office Desk featured in Woodsmith #144. I made the desk a full six foot length to allow for space in the knee-gap for a trash can and shredder.The four cabinets are made of 3/4” mahogany plywood with tongue and groove joinery. I used 3/4” quarter-sawn mahogany to make the six trim frames used between the cabinets, the two base units, and the desk top trim. I chose not to build the optional pencil drawer…The desk top is 3/4” mahogany ply with 1/2” MDF backing. I glued-up 1/2” thick ash for the drawers to be installed on 21” over-extension slides. Handles have a Celtic- braid design, used in lieu of recommended cup handles (the wife's contribution to the project!). All stained with neutral Minwax stain and 3-4 coats of gloss polyurethane.60 hours of work, two 4×8 panels of mahogany plywood, one 4×8 panel of 1/2” MDF, 26 bfdt of 3/4” QS mahogany, 21 bdft of ash for the drawers, 24 brass inserts for the hex bolts that connect cabinets and desktop together, and four pairs of drawer slides.Lessons learned:The cabinets would be just as strong using biscuit joinery rather than the precision (and time) needed to make precise tongue and groove joinery listed in the instructions; a slight deduction for the tongue width on the cabinet dimensions would have made construction far easier and time-saving. As such, I used biscuit joinery for the drawers…Installed drawer slides for the first time; thankfully YouTube has plenty of recommendations on how to do this…made some initial errors, but all drawers are smoothly operatingFinally, I used a free cut-list software (cutlistoptimizer.com) to efficiently cut the 4×8 sheets for minimum waste; I have enough leftover to make a top for an adjoining printer stand.Stay safe..masks are not a bad idea either when working with mahogany and MDF…very dusty!

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2020

It is not a Rocket

It is not a RocketWhen i was making this stool a comment was made that it looked like I was sitting on a rocket. So when I made the seat there was a lot of shaping to distract the eye from that. Think it worked out.The timber is Australian Silky Oak. A colleague had to take a tree down in his yard, and he salvaged some of the trunk for me. The lengths were not huge so I will not get much more from it than this stool.My wife wants two. So matching the timber will be difficult, so I probably won't try. My sister wants two too.Not sure why but when I post from my phone the images are always sideways. If someone knows how to fix that let me know.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2020

50TH ANNIVARSARY GIFT

50TH ANNIVARSARY GIFTAUGUST 02, 2020What to give SWMBO for our 50th Anniversary?For those that watch or have wives that watch The Bachelor or Bachelorette show knows about the rose ceremony where the chosen are given a rose. Keep that thought.One day I was watching YouTube videos and came across one that showed how to make a rose out of copper. That gave me an idea for a gift for my wife of 50 years.So I decided that I would make a vase with the the number 50 on it. The container part was made with Oak and Sapele. The base was cumaru. The numbers were cut out of oak and glued on then rounded over with carving chisels.Finished with Watco Danish Oil.I then made the rose. It's made from some scraps of copper pipe I had laying around.I then added the stem (grounding wire) and some leaves..Then put the two together . and SWMBO liked it so it earned me lots of points.Hoped you enjoyed the short story.Comments and favorites welcomed and appreciated.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Aug-2020

Grave Marker

Grave MarkerCheck out this simple Grave Marker project with Tribute Box.Fun project for a serious occasion.https://youtu.be/k79XQOcLShIBob A in NJ
Aug 1 2020

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2020

Shadow Box

Shadow BoxI was looking at Steevedgood site and fount this simple shadow box to build.
I had built one last week and the wife gave it to a friend before I had taken any pictures, so thought I would build her another one and be sure to get the pictures this time. LOLBuilt with 1/4” birch plywood and birch trim with clear Danish oil finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2020

NestingTables

NestingTablesHere are a pair of nesting side tables.This is a Wood Whisperer Guild project designed by Marc Spagnuolo. The bases are White Oak, with Walnut tops and side accents, finished with Osmo Top Oil. I made a few tweaks to the plans but am very happy with the outcome. These were a lot of fun to build.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Aug-2020

Comments:

Whopper Plopper.... It works!

Whopper Plopper.... It works!I made a bait that has a rotating tail and such a cool sound. It's called a whopper plopper. After a fashion I got it to work. It's made of white pine. Everything is hand made except the hooks.A great video of it that shows the complete build and in action in the water… such a cool sound. Click the picture below.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2020

Friday!!

Friday!!So I managed to do it 5 nights in a row. I may actually go for 7 depending on how work goes tomorrow and the day goes Sunday. But that is for tomorrow.Today's offering is fire, well a fire lighter at least These are the Survival Pens from WC, Ferro Rod and Striker (clip) and a Grass Breaker which can also make a decent self defense item in a pinch. Again used up some smaller bits and made the laminates. Ambrosia Maple with Padauk and Walnut wit Padauk.Thanks for looking. I have a crazy time at work coming up and I am going to challenge myself to get in the shop one night a week at the minimum. Maybe I'll start a blog about it and not waste the space on the project page, we'll see.CtL

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2020

Comments:

Reclaimed massaranduba bed inspired by Green and Green (G&G)

Reclaimed massaranduba bed inspired by Green and Green (G&G)My wife and I made a bed out of reclaimed wood (massaranduba) from our deck. Massaranduba is similar to ipe. It's finished with danish oil. I talked my Grandson into sanding for a while. We're going to make some matching nightstands next.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2020