June 2020

Night stands

Night standsA couple of nightstands I made to match the bed I recently made. The wood is edge glued oak that is reclaimed from a friends work that he gets for me. I tried a new stain from Minwax called charred effects. It's different but I like the way it turned out.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jun-2020

DIY Sandbox

DIY SandboxI was approached by a very bossy 2 year old and asked to build a sandbox. She's so cute that you just can't say no :) So I did a drawing in Sketchup and went to My local Home Center and picked up all the materials to knock out this quick DIY Sandbox. I made a choice to keep it simple where it could be accomplished in just a day or two and we also wanted to make sure it was elevated so it would keep out animals (snakes are bad in our area) and when the lid is on, the kids can sit on as a bench. If y'all want to check out the full build video, you can check it out here:https://dimensionswoodworks.com/2020/06/26/diy-sandbox/

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jun-2020

Golf Storage Rack

Golf Storage RackI used a minwax cherry stain and then put 3 coats of poly on it.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Jun-2020

Custom Built In Cabinets

Custom Built In CabinetsWhen we purchased this home last year we knew we wanted built-ins around the fireplace…but we also knew that no matter what we got from a builder we wouldn't be happy. So once I freed up a few other projects I got this started. The overall design is somewhat Japanese (shelves inspired by George Nakashima), with the shelves representing a tree where the central board is the “trunk” and the shelves themselves are the “branches”.The cabinets are cherry ply with soft maple face frames and doors/drawers, finished with water-based tinted lacquer from Target Coatings (more on that later). The tops are also cherry plywood with a cherry live edge banding on the front.The shelves are made from two very gnarly slabs I got from my lumber guy for $25 each. I cut them to length and screwed a piece of plywood into the back to create a straight edge that I could use for resawing. I mostly got things resawn straight, and I kept a lot of the gnarly parts of the boards in the final product to emphasize the rustic, natural feel of the live edge. The shelves are sprayed with a satin watco lacquer.The shelves are mounted on a central “trunk” of walnut using what I guess you would call a bridle joint. The trunk itself is finished with Dark Walnut danish oil, and mounted to the wall with some extremely beefy wall anchors with the screws hidden behind the shelves.I think this was a pretty straight forward build, with no new techniques for me except for the funny way I came up with to resaw the twisted slabs. I did try the Target Coatings lacquer, which I absolutely hated. Though the look of the final product is nice, I have to say that the target lacquer was not pleasant to spray as it constantly dirtied up my HVLP gun and was hard to clean up in small nooks/crannies. Additionally, months after spraying it is still “sticky” with other parts, so if you stack parts, you better put something between them so they don't stick. Would not recommend.All-in-all I am extremely pleased with this build. It brings a unique and striking focal point to our living room that's not just the run-of-the-mill built ins.Thanks for looking. Cheers!

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jun-2020

Comments:

Time for a quick project, sanding disk till

Time for a quick project, sanding disk tillCheck out the detailed build process.ThanksBob A in NJ
June 28 2020https://youtu.be/ItSB7ICSlzw

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jun-2020

My very first

My very firstI have been woodworking except for my college years, since I was 18 years old and had never made a box joint box.I have seen many shop made and expensive box joint jigs but did not want to spend time to make one or spend money to buy one. So one day I said to myself ”self, there must a simpler way”. So playing around with my router table and my router sled I made spacers that fit between the router sled and the router table fence and made this box. For this box I only needed three spacers.The body is 1/4” maple, the top 1/8” Midwest baltic birch plywood that I veneered with mahagony veneer on both sides, finished with several coats Varathane satin water based polyurethane, 4 1/16” diameter neobidium magnets, and inset hinges.This is another “stuff from my shop” projects where I only used stuff in my garage.Total material cost was $0.00!

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Jun-2020

Alphabet Train Set

Alphabet Train SetHere is a train set for my nephew Craig's 2nd birthday plans I got from ToyMakingPlans.com I cut the pattern size in half to fit a 2 yr old easier. thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jun-2020

Rockin Motorcycle

Rockin MotorcycleRocking Motorcycle for my grandson. Made from Sherwood plans. I used construction grade lumber, 1x Pine & the ring around the headlamp is walnut & a plexiglass lense. burned the logo on the gas tank & the tires are marked with the D.O.T. Date of manufacture of 2019. The wheels spin & Steering wheel Turns. I think it was a hit thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jun-2020

Simple Campaign-style Desk

Simple Campaign-style DeskThis was one of my first wood projects a few years ago (and shows it, I'm sure…). I needed a desk, and wanted something in a minmalist, campaign-style based on some I'd seen elsewhere. I was unimpressed by what was at the furniture stores, and we'd just moved into our first house, so I finally had some room to build. Unfortunately I had a general lack of woodworking skills, very limited tools (black and decker multi-tool with drill/jigsaw, Kreg-type pocket hole jig, and a mitresaw/box), and a VERY unrealistic sense of the cost and difficulty of woods I liked.My original design was more of a sawhorse desk, made of walnut and cherry. That quickly fell to the wayside in the light of the reality of paying for and working with those woods. It was a beautiful dream:)My final design was a more modest pine/cedar desk. I cut all the pieces with the little mitre saw box, sanded by hand, and pocket-holed together (mostly.) The holes for the three drawers were started as large drill holes, and then jigsawed out manually, and chiseled a little. They don't have guides or any hardware, just little wood boxes sized to slide in and out, with a stop to keep them from coming out, and a small piece of board under them on which to slide. Really really basic.I finished it with 2 coats of a minwax dark walnut stain, and then a spray poly coating on the top. The pulls are generic Lowes pulls with sort of an antiqued finish. Not pictured is the spreader attached to the back legs, which was added afterwards (visible in Sketchup drawing).It's held up well, and looks nice enough. Would like to try it again with better tools and woods. This first try was pretty much all trial and error,

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Jun-2020

Crown Royal Pencil and Letter Opener

Crown Royal Pencil and Letter OpenerI label casted the Crown Royal images in epoxy with the Crown Royal barrel wood. The pencil is for a swap with David, He made me an awesome handmade chisel plane. The letter opener is for Jim to go with the Crown Royal pen I made for him, He made me a fabulous marking gauge to go with the scratch awl he also made me.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Jun-2020

Digital Clock Case

Digital Clock CaseThis is an OOOOOOOOOOld project. I used to build digital clocks in 1970 ( before they were on the market) and I made steel cases for them when I worked in the tool room. I found 3 of these completed kits from Optoelectronics in a box in my office and decided to finish them. One of them, however , is missing the 5314N 24pin IC chip. These kits were $10 back in the day and I went looking for the chip and it is $39 so one clock may not get finished. It is a Simple Clock..12/24 hour setting switch and fast and slow setting buttons.If you know of a 5314 chip at a reasonable price I'd be interested !!!Any way for the wood part, I had one board of birds eye maple and resawed it and planed it to 5/16”. Then I mitered the edges of the top, bottom and sides and glued them together. The front and the back are rabbeted on all four edges to fit in the case. The front has a recess milled in the back and piece of plexiglass is glued in there. It has 4 rubber feet that I cut out with a plug cutter and pit in the recesses.The case is finished withe clear semi gloss spray enamel.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Jun-2020

Volkswagen Van

Volkswagen VanVW van Plans by “Dutchy” Maple,walnut,cherry and pine The finish was spray can Deft The plans were excellent and well detailed all though the plans were in Metric I found that a plus since I used that in my career

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Jun-2020

Miter Clamps

Miter ClampsHello everyone. I'm a novice woodworker and LumberJocks lurker (until now). I work out of a super-small shop—I have about 40 sq ft of storage, and work out of a single car garage after moving the car out. Portability and organization are huge deals for me, but I'm slowly learning how to make the most out of my space and how to be smart about tool purchases.Two things I've struggled to achieve have been square and repeatability. I've been okay at making one-off pieces, but it took me some time to get to a point where I could make two things of a kind and have them match up pretty nicely. As an exercise, I decided to try to make a pair of miter clamps based on the Woodpeckers design (https://www.woodpeck.com/mct-miter-clamp-tool.html).My goals for this project were to have all of the pieces line up as closely as possible, to have the angles be as precise as possible, and to have two pieces with matching dimensions. I also wanted to gain more experience and familiarity with my table saw and biscuit joiner.I started by cutting three 2” x 5” pieces of 3/4” plywood and glued them using biscuits. After the glue set, I used my table saw to rip the piece down the middle at a 45 degree angle. I set the flat edge of each remaining piece against my fence and then cut the pointed ends off. Finally I used a crosscut sled to cut the sides down and to bring it to its final dimension. The two pieces ended up mating pretty nicely. There was one dimension where I was off by about 1/32”, but everything else looked flush to my eye.I decided to use a red spray paint for the finish. I only had a minimal amount of sanding to do. I put some tape on the bottom surface of each piece and then gave them piece several coats of paint. After the paint cured I put some clear tape on the top to prevent any red pigment from rubbing off on my clamps. I also put some adhesive 220 grit sandpaper along the bottom to help it grip to the work piece. I wish I had applied some filler to the surface to get a smooth surface. Instead, you can see the fibers through the paint. Oh well, lesson learned. I'm still pleased with the result.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jun-2020

First baseball bat

First baseball batMy first baseball bat on the lathe! I'm a high schooler and this was my first big project. I combined my love for woodworking and baseball; can't wait to take some swings at the plate.Any tips or tricks for the next one?

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jun-2020

Small Walnut Box

Small Walnut BoxThis is another small box in the series of boxes I am making. Every box is slightly different than the last. This one is 6 x 3 x2 1/2 and made from walnut. I plan to use a wax finish.
Roger

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Jun-2020

Sea Captain

Sea CaptainThis sea captain is my first project posted on Lumberjocks. I began wood carving in January of 2019 and regret that I didn't start a whole lot earlier. I've had so much enjoyment finding characters in wood! This little captain is 6” tall and is made of bass wood. He was made as a gift for my older brother who is a collector of nautical related items.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jun-2020

Kitchen Island

Kitchen IslandBoss wanted a new kitchen island..as she had outgrown the old one…She found a design she liked (finally!) and I had to go out and buy a stack of Ash lumber to build it with….Last picture is a work in progress…The middle shelf is 3/4” Pine plywood. There is 3/4” pine boards for the drawer's sides and back….and 1/4” Luann for the drawer's bottom panel.Took almost the entire month of June to do…..but, at least she likes it. There are casters under each leg, as she wanted to be able to roll it where, and when needed.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jun-2020

Koa tenor ukulele

Koa tenor ukuleleLots went wrong but I was using hide glue and was able to re-do an number of steps, including re-setting the neck. It turned out to sound great and was made for a friend, who won't notice the issues with the final finish. I'd made a walnut soprano previously, so had a basic idea of the process but hadn't tried purfling, binding, a side sound hole, bound keyboard, side dots, inlay, bridge pins, and a few other things, so it was a great learning process.The body is koa and the fretboard and bridge are Osage orange, which has darkened a lot more over the past year.I bought a thickness calliper from Lee Valley, a bending iron from Stewmac and a gramil to score the channels for the binding. It was hand planes, saws and chisels other than that. Very do-able as an apartment project.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Jun-2020

Comments:

Wedding ring box for my daughter

Wedding ring box for my daughterBeen a long time since I've posted a project, because…due to current events, in all honesty my focus has not been what it needs to be to work safely in the shop. So I decided to post something I made a while back.It has now become a tradition (x2) that I make a ring box whenever one of the kids gets married. The first one was a beveled finger jointed box for my son. The second one posted here, was for my daughter.This was my first real project using a new horizontal belt sander. A little bit of a learning curve, but I really love the machine and what it allows me to do. My daughter and son in law were happy…and now all their friends want me to make ring boxes for them when they get married…so apparently it was a success…Oy Vey!I'll post my son's box in a few days. It has similarities to a recently posted, and exceptionally lovely box that has beveled box joints, and I feel I need put a little space between the two projects. Anyway, more ring boxes are apparently in my future!

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jun-2020

El camino bed

El camino bedMy daughters neighbor restored this 64 el caminp and asked if i would helo him make the wood bed he wanted to cover the metal bed that was in rough shape. i ripped down and rabbeted the boards to accept the metal rails that he put between the oak boards.
i then sanded and finished the boards so he could install them. the pictures dont to this project and justice but it really turned out nice.
he worked on this rig for four uears.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jun-2020

Comments:

Scroll saw project Steve good pattern

Scroll saw project Steve good pattern This took a little while made this for my niece when she graduated college turned out good like the psalter maple

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Jun-2020

Trash can holder

Trash can holder Trash can holder I made worked out pretty nice

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jun-2020

Finger Joint Keepsake Box

Finger Joint Keepsake BoxA while back I built a finger joint jig. So I had a jig that needed a project. The result was this walnut and birdseye maple keepsake box. About 8 inches by 10 inches.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jun-2020

Napkin/ paper towel holder

Napkin/ paper towel holderMade this holder for guest hand towels, made from Myrtle wood pieces that I had around

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Jun-2020

Sand paper organizer

Sand paper organizer This was a good addition to get my garage organized not a master piece but I like to share and give ideas and I love to get ideas from everyone to

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jun-2020

Stickley No. 336 Bow Arm Morris Chair

Stickley No. 336 Bow Arm Morris ChairFrom Robert W.Lang's Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture. I made a version of the No. 336 Morris Chair in quartersawn oak. The drawings in the book have enough information to make the chair. The chair is made wider than plan. I used steam bent lamination for the arms and back slats. The book has a section about Stickley's use of the quadralinear leg to achieve quartersawn grain on all four sides. I chose that style for this build. I will blog it here. The ottomans construction is the same and the side table design is from Finewoodworking article “FW1124”. The finish is stain, shellac, wipe on poly and wax. In the pictures I used couch cushions. The cushions I had made will have to be remade.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jun-2020

Black Walnut Display

Black Walnut DisplayBlack Walnut Display. Wood from my Dad's home in West Virginia and milled by my Uncle Sam. Designed and built for my brother and his wife.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Jun-2020

Comments:

Gift board for a great neighbor...

Gift board for a great neighbor...As the title states, a simple gift cutting board for a great neighbor I have. Pieced together some scraps of walnut, maple, leopard wood, hickory, and one unknown piece. Rubbed down with beeswax/mineral oil blend. Should get it to them tomorrow, hope they like it!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jun-2020

Black and Chrome Teardrop Trailer Model

Black and Chrome Teardrop Trailer ModelThis is a model that I made for a friend.
It is made from plywood that has been kerf cut to wrap.
The molding on the edge between the roof and side is 1/4 aluminum that I cut and bent to shape.
All other Chrome is painted wood.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jun-2020

1969 Custom Divco Mlk Truck Fastback Model

1969 Custom Divco Mlk Truck Fastback ModelThis is a model that I made for a friend.
This is a unique 1969 Divco.
It has a slanted back with an unusual back door.This is a custom scratch build.
No plans were used.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Jun-2020

Girls Bunk Beds

Girls Bunk BedsMaybe 5 years ago i made some bunk beds for the two oldest kids and then I had two more. My girls are now 3 and 7 and while all of them like sleeping in the same room my eldest girl said she wanted a bed of her own. We talked about it and she said that a hanging bed would be fun so i made a hanging bed. Then my 3 yr old wanted a bed of her own so i made that too. In the end they all sleep in one room or the other still.The main sections of the beds are made of pine with the ladder and legs made of pallet oak. The boys bed was held together with pocket hole fasteners and i worried about the longevity of it but it was early in my wood working career. For the girls i decided to do mortise and tenon joints all around and well, they at least look better IMO.Pallet Wood

posted at: 12:02am on 20-Jun-2020

Yet another Lure: Crayfish pattern

Yet another Lure: Crayfish patternI have a crank bait I made early on that has a really nice action, a deep thumping movement. I'm duplicating it with different paint patterns. This one is a sort crayfish pattern sort of.
Made of cedar. Everything is handmade except the hooks.This is a video of the entire process.

posted at: 12:02am on 20-Jun-2020

NEW TABLE SAW SLED

NEW TABLE SAW SLEDWell here is a new project and it got me back in the shop but slowly does it .
I wanted to address some issues and I think I accomplished my goal .
I made a video that you can watch on YOU TUBE and I think it will explain the projct better then I could here in words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpdcetPtIk&t=70sPlease let me know what you think of this prototype . .I will try to post a build video sometime soon That will have some additional features .
Thanks Klaus / Kiefer

posted at: 12:02am on 20-Jun-2020

Built-in Breakfast Nook Bench with Storage

Built-in Breakfast Nook Bench with StorageI always wanted a breakfast nook with storage and we finally bought a home that had the perfect space. This was my first time building something from scratch. I did the build all by myself with self scribbled plans – no help, except my dad and my husband hauled the plywood from the big box store and got it into the garage for me, because I'm only 5 feet tall and probably weigh a little more than a full sheet of MDF…a girl needs some help sometimes.Materials:
I used about 6 sheets of birch plywood for the base and a half sheet of MDF for the end caps. Re-routed 2 hvac ducts and an electrical outlet (got one of those fancy ones with USB plugs too). Sewed all the cushions which are attached but have zippers so they are removable for washing. Used 7 yards of upholstery velvet, 5 yards of non-slip utility fabric (underside), 11 yards of foam, and 20 yards of dacron. Used 5 pairs of Hafele Lid Stay bench hinges so we could open the storage without removing cushions.Equipment:
table saw, miter saw, circular saw, multi-tool, kreg jigDecor:
Light fixture was from West Elm, table from Modway. Paint is Benjamin Moore Advance in Chantilly Lace.Challenges:
None of the walls are plum or straight (like they ever are) and all the angles and wall measurements were different. I also got a puppy during this project.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jun-2020

Red Cedar Bowl

Red Cedar BowlMore specifically, this is a bowl from a Western Red Cedar burl, which I can get from loggers in this area. No nice smell like Aromatic Cedar.Diameter 11.25”. Height 4.5”.Salad bowl finish.I finished this bowl at my daughters. She liked the flared lip on it and kept it. I'm always happy to give them another bowl.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jun-2020

Album record holder

Album record holder I have had the urge to get my old setup going again and wanted to have an easy means of holding records which were out. This large piece of oak (bottom) was dadoed with two angle cuts
The two walnut pieces are 4/4 and will hold the records one or manyI also cut some small recess cuts on the top to keep albums from sliding

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Jun-2020

Bassinet

Bassinet Made this for my granddaughter when she was born

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jun-2020

Attached Pergola

Attached PergolaI added this pergola onto our back patio for some much needed shade next to the pool. It is HUGE, spanning 36' x 10'. I attached it to the roof with custom made brackets from a metal shop made from 1/4' stainless steel and angled to match the pitch of the room. I mounted 10 of the brackets onto the trusses using special screws designed for solar panel install but worked great for what I needed (https://www.quickbolt.com/product/17666?parent=1149). They ensure a waterproof seal which was my main concern. All of the wood is pressure treated pine. The posts are 6×6 and are notched at the top for extra support for the beams. The beams are 2×12s and the trusses are 2×10s. I layed 1×4s on the very top, and I didn't include a pic, but I also put shade cloth over the top. All of the hardware is Simpson Strong Tie ornamental hardware. I even went through the permitting process in my county and it passes the final inspection with no issues. All in all, very pleased as we head into the blazing hot summer here in Florida!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jun-2020

Heavy Duty Low Boy Trailer

Heavy Duty Low Boy TrailerThere's just something about these Low Boy trailers that gets my attention.
I really enjoyed building my first way back in July 2016.
Then a year or so ago Toys and Joys came out with a newer heavy duty one so got it but never built it because it is so long.
I ended up just building the main trailer and even shortened it up a tad so my excavator will just fit it.
I must say I don't really like the darker wheels may sand off the sides and just have the treads dark.
Now on to the semi to match it. LOL

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Jun-2020

Civilization

CivilizationPine and poplar. Oh and brass.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jun-2020

Segmented bluegill

Segmented bluegillMy attempt at a bluegill segmented bait. It has a unique internal aluminum hinge. That, and the tall profile made this one a challenge to make it work right.
It's made of pine and maple. All parts are hand made except the hooks.A video of the build:

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jun-2020

Comments:

Shop improvement - simple but satisfying shelving project

Shop improvement - simple but satisfying shelving projectSatisfying because the scrap board and garage-sale shelving channels and brackets have been put to good use.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Jun-2020

Bird house

Bird house Made this for my best friend to resemble his shop

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jun-2020

Live Edge Bedside Table

Live Edge Bedside TableI built this live edge bedside table during my free time over the last two months. Russian olive top, soft/silver maple legs and shelf. Finished with Tried & True Varnish Oil. The back is mostly flat (with some overhang on the top) so it can sit flush against a wall. I did some fancy haunched through wedged mortise and tenon joinery for the shelf to leg attachment. The top is attached at the back with pocket screws, and at the front using dovetailed pieces with screw slots to allow for wood movement.I won the Russian olive slab for coming in second place in the small Colorado version of the Kezurou-Kai hand planing competition last year. I also came in second in the competition before that, winning a lumber yard gift certificate that I used to purchase the maple base slabs. So I should call it the Kezurou table I guess. I made an effort to hand plane anything I could, only doing a final light sanding at 320 grit on the flats before finishing.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jun-2020

Comments:

Finally finished my pallet bar.

Finally finished my pallet bar.Many hours busting up pallets. Probably won't do it again.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Jun-2020

Lathe Collet Chuck Box

Lathe Collet Chuck BoxThought it was about time to discard the cardboard box my Beall Collet chuck was shipped in for a timber one.Used,

1. Incra IBox on tablesaw.
  2. 12mm pine.
  3. Merbeau decking scraps.
  4. Brass clasps (Bunnings)
  5. Titebond III glue.
  6. Beall Collet chuck.
  7. Foam block (original supply).
  8. Wipe-on-poly finish (3 coats).
The spanner cradle were an afterthought.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jun-2020

Desk Clock

Desk ClockI built this Desk Clock by using a vintage Mickey Thompson
connecting rod mounted on a wood base and fitted with
a quarts clock movement in the big end.
The rods came out of an engine that exploded and the
marks from the explosion are visible
I would like to build and sell more of them but getting the rods
is getting harder and harder.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jun-2020

Grand child's kitchen

Grand child's kitchenMade this for my granddaughter and she loves it

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Jun-2020

Don't Tread On Me

Don't Tread On MeThis is my rustic rendition of a Don't Tread On Me flag. Everything was cut out with the scroll saw.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jun-2020

Texas Madrone and Turquoise "Bullet Hole" Bowl

Texas Madrone and Turquoise "Bullet Hole" BowlFellow Lumberjock Duckmilk gave me a chunk of Texas madrone from his cousin's place in New Mexico. It had been sitting in the desert sun for a while and looked a little rough, including a hole that runs through the center.Rather than cut it down to avoid the holes and checks, I decided to use the wood's flaws as features and filled the cracks that were large enough with turquoise. It is finished with shellac which turned out a little too shiny so I rubbed on some paste wax using an abrasive pad to give it more of a satin finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jun-2020

Ebonized Oak Cutting Board with breadboard ends

Ebonized Oak Cutting Board with breadboard endsFirst time making breadboards, and first time ebonizing oak! 100% hand tools. It's pretty terrifying to rub steel wool and apple cider vinegar all over your finished project, but i'm happy i took the chance. Love how dark the finish turned out.I made a video of the process if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/NI7FxQtsGuQ

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Jun-2020

Mobile Workbench - Enhanced Caster Set-up

Mobile Workbench - Enhanced Caster Set-up Canadian price: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/casters-and-wheels/110198-workbench-castersTo engage castors, insert dowel (1” dia.) into hole and turn.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jun-2020

Mallet which is more of a Thors Hammer

Mallet which is more of a Thors HammerHey all! This is my first post. Any advice and critiques welcome!Just finished this mallet (unintentional war hammer) made from Oak (outer plates of the head) and Poplar (handle and inner plates of head. In hindsight poplar may have been a poor choice for a part of the striking surface. Sanded the handle down with 320 for a smooth finish on the hand. Tried a rougher paper (120) on the top but no matter how long i sanded, with the more abrasive paper, I could not get out some of the groves which followed the grain in the oak. Chiseled out the tapered portion of the handle then hand sanded smooth. I dont have a table saw so some of the longer cuts in the head were not as flat as I would like but came out after some adjustments and sanding.I aligned the wedge and groove with the length of the head which in hindsight, again, may not have been a good choice as the pressure is pushing the outer plates apart instead of pushing the inner plates along the long axis of the head. No cracks though but im worried the whole thing may just pop apart of me when I go to use it. Oh well next time.Finished with minwax tung oil but honestly I dont know if I like it or not. I have ordered some pure tung oil to try out on future projects.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jun-2020

Side Chair

Side ChairWood side chair made from scrap pieces of wood.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Jun-2020

Crown Royal Pen

Crown Royal PenHere is a pen I made for Jim Jakosh from Crown Royal barrel wood and a label cast blank I made myself. I swapped with Jim for one of his awesome handmade scratch awls.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jun-2020

Comments:

Cabinetto - making large spaces useable by divide and conquer

Cabinetto - making large spaces useable by divide and conquerLast year we moved into a beautiful house. It is our dream house, with many dreamhouse qualities. Included was a 2nd kitchen, which instantly became mine, but it had a few bumps.Foremost of these was the large cabinet space with no division. Big hole, lot of room, impractical to store anything.Enter the cabinetto.While it's Italian for cabinet, for me, it was a smaller cabinet to break up the space of the larger cabinet.Here's what things looked like soon after moving in.Take a moment to notice that it's a lot of space, but just not used well. Three openings to make it look like you have division, but inside … not so much.I built a skinny cabinetto for the left side with a pullout for baking sheets and cutting boards.Next was to work the large center area. I had originally thought to make a larger cabinet that would take up the whole middle space, but decided, instead, to build a smaller cabinet that would only take up half the space, and give me a flat surface on top which will eventually receive another pair of pullouts. I haven't made full plans yet for the right skinny opening, but I'm thinking a vertical pullout for pot lids and such. Who knows.The build was simple, as were the materials: birch plywood for the cabinet, re-sawn yellow pine for the drawer sides, birch plywood for the front and back, and 1/4” pine plywood for the bottom.As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jun-2020

planter

planterplanter i made for my mother.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Jun-2020

Surprisingly Good Spray Paint Can Gun

I got tired of pushing my finger down on the tiny nozzle that's on most spray paint cans, and then I stumbled upon this little gem, made by RUST-OLEUM, at the orange big box store. I love RUST-OLEUM paints anyway, and now I love their spray paint "gun" too.

It's SO MUCH easier to spray paint with this thing, it's easier to use the "trigger" rather than the nozzle, and it provides a better ability to control the spray while you paint. It goes onto a can quickly by pinching the two nubs at the back, which causes the jaws to grab onto the rim of the can just under the nozzle, and it stays on the can reliably as well, but comes off easily too with just another pinch, all of which make this a really good gadget.

Just after you put the gun on a can, make sure the nozzle is pointing forward. It'll avoid a sticky mess.

It's about $10 bucks, and well worth it. And you really only need one because it goes on and off so easily. You'll wonder what you ever did without it.

posted at: 1:32am on 11-Jun-2020
path: /Reviews | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:

Window Valances (home store moulding - no crown)

Window Valances (home store moulding - no crown)Had this on the list for a long time. We took the window treatments down and painted over a year ago – finally got sick of the blank walls. These are simple valances that sit close to the window. The core of the box is just 8' trim boards and the moulding is wide door casing around the top and then smaller trim on the bottom. I took a little off the width of the lower trim to balance the look (you can see the portion trimmed in picture 5). The finished look is pretty clean. I did not want to use crown b/c I thought it would be too much of the same – maybe look like a forced match. One coat of primer and then sprayed gloss white for the final and they came out good. Now I can back to my chess board and a guitar stand also in progress in the shop.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jun-2020

Acorn Box

Acorn BoxAcorn Box
Acorn lidded box 80 mm in diameter by 80 mm high turned from NZ Kauri and Fijian Kauri.
Comments Welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jun-2020

Oak Dining Room Table with Turned Pedals and leafs

Oak Dining Room Table with Turned Pedals and leafsHere is my latest project. It is a 2 leaf Oak Dining room table with turned pedals.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Jun-2020

House Numbers

House NumbersGot very tired of my old metal numbers on the outside of my house. Made new ones using my printer to get the font selection and size we wanted then cut them out of Poplar. Spray painted black and mounted on a scrap 3/4 Maple Ply with some Oak trim. Sprayed down with lacquer and mounted to the house with liquid nail. LOL

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jun-2020

Built this Modern Outdoor Kitchen from Scratch

Built this Modern Outdoor Kitchen from ScratchTook me 12 weekends but I was able to turn my fairly useless and empty deck into a full outdoor kitchen. You can see the (mostly) before and after.The floors aren't done yet (still the old decking) but here are some of the materials I used in case folks are interested -Grill, Range, Exhaust, Doors - All Viking. The range hood was a real pain as I had to figure out a way to put 10” ducting through the garage and back out the side of the house.Vertical Slats - Poplar with Harvest Wood stain + poly. Sat those on top of painted half-inch PT plywood.Hardwood Cladding – Elmwood Reclaimed Timber walnut with a poly coat on them.Counters - Cambria quartz. Not the most durable, but damn pretty.Black Wall Cladding – Is from Thermory, their Ignite collection, which is a charred surface.Back Splash Tile – Hand made tile from a company in Austin, can't remember their name, but really beautiful product.... I'm doing a slat ceiling in walnut similar to what's on the walls, but it's taking forever. Also, the floors will be a white porcelain hardwood looking tile.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jun-2020

Joker Poker Cross off board

Joker Poker Cross off boardMade for dry erase or grease pencil to account for envelopes not seen.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Jun-2020

Flower Vase - Dead or Alive

Flower Vase - Dead or AliveHad not used the lathe for awhile and got bored yesterday afternoon. I had a piece of Eastern Red Cedar approx. 6/7 inch thick, 5 foot long that was 4 or 5 years old, so I cut a chunk off and proceeded to get with it. When I started I didn't know it had all those darn knots all over and in it. Made it a bear to turn but it came out a lot better than I thought it would. It is 7 inches tall by 4 inches wide. I drilled a hole in the middle with the lathe so it could be used for dry ( dead ), flowers or put in a tube ( for water ), for live flowers. It was sanded to 600, then triple EEE and was topped off with a good wax. My shop now smells like a Cedar chest.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jun-2020

Little Madrone

Little Madrone Standing 4 inches tall turned from wet Madrone. D Way beading tool to create the beadsZinser 2 part bleachC and C welcomeRon

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jun-2020

Blooms of Love!!

Blooms of Love!!This is a challenge that is going out to all woodworkers. We are currently creating fabulous wooden yard flowers to be placed in the nursing home patio areas, so that seniors can have something beautiful to look at that will help brighten their day. These flowers have also been placed in our local town park & in disabled senior citizen's yards so that they can view the flowers from their window. We would love for other woodworkers to follow suit & help us to create these “Blooms of love” to give to all seniors in nursing homes or, perhaps the sweet senior who lives right next door to you! Heck, your children or your grandchildren can help you paint them! Do you accept my challenge? I am asking that everyone take a moment to help us share this message everywhere. Let's use your God given talent & help brighten up this struggling world of ours with color for our elderly. They are struggling the most & do not deserve to be forgotten. Thank you so much!

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Jun-2020

XL End-grain cutting board

XL End-grain cutting boardSimple clean lines on this extra thick board. This board is made from maple, purple heart and walnut. All wood grain is vertical to make the board fully end grain which makes the board about 3 times harder than face grain. The maple is constructed in a chaotic random pattern (process of cutting, dicing up, and re-gluing 4 times). The inner border is of purple heart, followed w more chaotic maple, then a 1 outside walnut border. This is a larger board and extra thick. Routed in handles. Sanded thru drum sander 120, then orbital sander 120/220/320. Coated with mineral oil and beeswax mixture. I'll add rubber feet w stainless steel screws after a day of oil drying.Measures 15×20x2.5

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jun-2020

SCROLL SAW BOWL MADE FROM POINCIANA LOG

SCROLL SAW BOWL MADE FROM POINCIANA LOGA friend gave me a small log nearly 2 years ago and it was dripping wet and very heavy.
But now it has dried out and is remarkably light in weight. It is also a very soft wood, I think it is POINCIANA.It has a very unusual Grain / Figuring running through it. Sanding was easy enough because of the softness, but I knew it would be difficult to achieve a gloss. So after numerous coats of Organic Danish Oil I Buffed it by hand..
The finished result is the best I can do. If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to say. I would be most interested.
I would love to achieve a gloss on most Projects.It was cut on the Scroll Saw from one of Carole Rothman's Patterns..The Bowl is made up of 4 rings and a Base cut at 28 Deg.Kind regards,Cliff.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Jun-2020

Pretty Piggy

Pretty PiggyThis piggy bank is my second (first – https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/408182). Their is some great figure in the front top area that I hope you can see in first photo. It is made from walnut with a maple band and front legs. Design inspiration was Hampshire pigs, that are black with a white band and front legs. The band has 32 segments. In retrospect I think fewer segments would have looked better. The bank is 7” long and 4” in diameter with plastic eyes from Hobby Lobby, ears or leather scrap and tail of black pipe cleaner. The band hides the access to the $ – threaded joint. Finish is my favorite walnut oil buffed out with Beall system.This little pig is staying home in my office!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020

Armoire repair project

Armoire repair projectMy wife got a armoire off facebook marketplace for $40. The folks we got it from had separated the top and bottom and managed to destroy the front span, as well as take chunks out of the face of the vertical front pieces.I pulled the broken span out, and cleaned up busted parts with the use of a chisel and Japanese saw.Cut a new piece of maple for the span, did a decent job matching stain, and cut some thin pieces of “veneer” to cover the face frame damage.
The crappy cardboard backing was gone, so I replaced it with a piece of 1/4” plywood stained pretty close, and the last repair was to replace the missing roller door catches.
Wife is happy with her $40 spend, so guess I'm happy too!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020

Tenon saw handle

Tenon saw handleI don't know why I've waited so long to post it. I made it back in january, and I didn't do anything since then, because I was to busy with university, and since quarantine, I stayed away from my parents house where I keep my workbench and my tools because they are at risk and I didn't want them to become sick just because of my egoistic behavior.Anyway, here is kind of my first woodworking project ever, at least my first unassisted project (I don't really count the crappy plywood bird house we made in elementary school).I made it because I was particularly motivated by getting pretty hand tools, and was particularly motivated not to pay four hundred bucks for a hand made saw while probably being completely incompetent to tell the difference from a cheap saw.I guess this was kind of a pointless project to make first because I should probably have made a workbench first to replace the awful wobbly one that I had to use. But I guess too that any project is better than no project at all, and I've been procrastinated far too long for countless reasons (as I still am right now by the way).So, here is it. It's made of walnut, it's a random piece that I found at a local store, that I took because I liked the grain of it while being totally underqualified to judge if it would be easy to work with or not or anything.I think it turned out ok relatively to my experience (which is near 0). It's finished with linseed oil and home made bees wax.While I think it looks pretty, it doesn't mean I didn't mess it up (in fact I did). I cut the slot for the blade totally out of the line because I was too impatient to practice before. It turned out this bend the blade so much that it is completely unusable. I guess that those great things you learn as a beginner, but I kind of don't care, I do those things to learn and not for them to be perfect (else I wouldn't do it myself).Let me know what you think of it and I don't know what pertinent things I could add so I'll shut my mouse now as I've already wrote far too much too say far too little.By the way, sorry for my probably strange English, maybe even hardly understandable, as it isn't my mother tongue. I do my best to have a more interesting language, probably at the expense of making much more mistakes and probably writing many sentences that nobody with a sane mind could understand.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Jun-2020

It's a "bloody" jewelry box

It's a "bloody" jewelry boxI made this box the first week in February, it's oak and bloodwood with a touch of turquoise. The bloodwood I purchased had some type of filler that I didn't like the look of, so I dug it out and used turquoise to add a little flare. I'm not sure if I want to do anything to the inside bottom of the box and tray, but if I do I think leather would look nice.When I was waxing the box I dropped it on the concrete floor and it landed on it's side and snapped off 2 of the feet. One was easy to fix where the repair would never be seen. The other one was a little harder to get it just right, but you really can't tell now that it has finish on it.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jun-2020

Comments:

Jesus taking care of the whole world

Jesus taking care of the whole worldNever being that good in the painting department. I was nervous about doing a globe. I pulled it off for my Ladies approval.That made me feel good.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jun-2020

1st time new Mom,Dad, and Bambino

1st time new Mom,Dad, and BambinoOne of my attempts at a Welsh loving spoon. Long way to go for that notch in the belt, but fun anyway.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Jun-2020

Assembly/Outfeed table

Assembly/Outfeed tableFigured I'd post a quick project of my assembly/outfeed table. It is based on the Paulk workbench design with some changes. I had a bunch of 1/2” plywood so that's what I made it out of and I doubled the thickness in places to beef it up.It is 3'x6' so it fits in the shop and since it's on casters it can be rolled round the shop and up to the tablesaw or out onto the deck at the front of the shop when the weather is nice. I also made the legs so they can be taken off with a couple screws so the table can be broken down easily if I need to. You can see in the pics that the legs are 2 layers of 1/2” plywood glued and screwed with the edges alternating for strength with a single layer that slides into the top and held together with 1/4”-20 bolts into threaded inserts. The center rib is basically an I beam design with 3x layers of ply in the center and one on the top and bottom. It's fairly new but has held up well to what I've thrown at it so far.I didn't get pics but I divided the top in half and on one side I drilled 3/4” holes along the edges and on the other side I drilled it all every 4”. This allows me to use dogs and clamps but also a solid surface when I need it.I really like this design since it lets me store rulers, squares, pencils and other things that are needed all the time in the center and they're always at hand but not taking room on the top and getting in the way.Rock

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jun-2020

Three cranks made today

Three cranks made todayToday I made three new baits. All of pine. I make everything except the hooks. They are like little, quick, art projects. Pine, carving, painting, clear coating, fishing.I have a video that shows their build from start to finish, and them in the water at the end.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Jun-2020

License Plate Coffee Table

License Plate Coffee TableMy father kept most of his old license plates over the years. After he passed away I want to make use of them in some way. I eventually settled on making a coffee table with them.The center of the table is recessed enough to have the plates screwed down and then there is a quarter inch thick piece of glass that goes on top.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jun-2020

Tailgate Bench

Tailgate BenchThis was another luck of the find projects. I came across this Chevrolet pickup tailgate at the local salvage yard and couldn't resist getting it just to make it into a bench. It seats 4 and has a lot of character.Combined with some salvaged wood, it turned into the perfect county-chic bench. The wood was sanded just enough to remove rough edges and that was it. Original weathering and paint were left on and since we are using it indoors I left it unsealed.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jun-2020

Out door bench

Out door benchMade from green treated 4×4 pine.
Stained and treated with water sealer.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Jun-2020

dog bowl stand

dog bowl standsimple dog bowl stand

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jun-2020

1951 Ford Pickup

1951 Ford PickupI made this from a pattern from Toys and Joys.Made from Maple and Spanish Mahogany.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jun-2020

Refinished Dresser

Refinished DresserI refinished this dresser which I believe is an Ethan Allen piece from the early 1940's.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Jun-2020

Playhouse

Playhouse Delivering the kids bench to our grandkids (see previous post) gave me an opportunity to finally complete their playhouse that I had started for them just before lockdown. I had started one for them at their previous property, but they moved before it was finished, so this one just kind of evolved from the various pieces I salvaged from that effort, along with the constraints of building directly on the solid bedrock of the Canadian Shield.The platform is about 12' x 8'; the playhouse itself is 8' x 5' and the tube slide is about 8' high. A fun build where precision is a little less critical, but the 3 and 6 year olds were always close by to offer advice on what was good (& bad) about the design as it came together. It was given final inspection and approval by the two new “owners” (grandkids) this afternoon.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jun-2020

Hall Tree

Hall TreeWe recently moved into a house that did not have a coat closet. My wife fussed about having to put guest coats in our spare bedroom because she would have to make sure that cat hair had been removed before they put their coats on the bed. So she asked for something that could be used to hang up coats near the front door. She also wanted a place to put shoes, handbags, hats, etc. So I built this. Cherry and Sepele with ebony plugs over screw holes. Except for some dados, all the joinery is screws.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jun-2020

Another Saw Bench

Another Saw Bench A split top saw bench, garden bench, or a mobile workbench ? This is my take on Stumpy's $10 saw bench, taking advantage of nice weather to file some saws in the yard.Work benches have enlarged such that my feet dangle like a small child when I sit on them. This one solves that problem at 32×12 and shy of 20 inches in height.After I finished, and it realized its benchiness, it thought that maybe another should exist with some details changed to incorporate a leg vise and a dead man. If that ever happens, I'll call it the $20 stumpy roubo.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Jun-2020

Cherry Coffee Table, bowties, a little epoxy, and Osmo Polyx

Cherry Coffee Table, bowties, a little epoxy, and Osmo Polyx A friend gave me this cherry slab 2 years ago and it wasn't quite dry enough to work with. After a couple years in climate control with good air movement I was comfortable machining it.Built a router sled, flattened the top, removed as much bark and waste as possible from the crack, learned that bow ties in cherry are hard. Had a little chip out in the cherry during final chisel cleanup. Eco proxy Flowcast in two pours, mainly for My experience level comfort. I was pleasantly surprised at how few bubbles arose. It's really really thin so use some good tape for sealing. I used 3m aluminum HVAC tape and was pleased with results.
Lots of sanding. Hand wet sanded epoxy to 1000g to make sure I didn't have any visible scratches. Finished with 2 coats of Osmo Polyx applied with white Scotch Brite pads.I got a little obsessive during the epoxy research because I knew I had one chance to get it right.She loves it. Oh yeah. Hairpin legs going on tomorrow when I pick up threaded inserts at woodcraft.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jun-2020

A box of angles

A box of anglesI made this box last year. Some people like it, some don't. It's one of those boxes where I've kind of given up on level lines, or perpendicular lines, or right angles in general. Not sure why; but it is fun, maybe even funny…who knows?Mainly, it's thuya burl and african blackwood. And lots of tiny pieces – curly sycamore, ebony, pink ivory, purpleheart, bloodwood, limba, verawood, pear, pau amarello, holly. Probably a few more.Gotta use up those little pieces of scrap…

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jun-2020

Table Saw Outfeed Table

Table Saw Outfeed TableUsing ideas from many different LJ's, Youtubers and my own, this is the table saw outfeed I've been wanting for several years. I used maple plywood and trim left from a sewing desk build. the last photo shows the holder for the 2 folding supports . The folding supports use 2 large nails to lock them in their open position that slide into place and have a stop to keep them in place while folded (see photo 4).
I used a long level clamped the the saws fence as one side and a board clamped in place (missing in the photo below) to guide a router while extending the saws miter slots.

Rubber bands and eye hooks are used to hold supports in folded position when lowering the table.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Jun-2020