April 2020

Raised Planter Bed

Raised Planter BedA quick and dirty project post for my raised planter box. Made from lumberyard-bought cedar, and assembled over a period of a couple of days. Finish is three coats of polyurethane (exterior grade). I think this is the first project I've ever done entirely with dimension lumber purchased new. Kinda nice. And I actually guesstimated the right material quantities! Very, very little waste.Applied tongue and groove cuts to the side boards and end boards with the Stanley No. 48. I figured that would add considerably to the strength of the long walls versus adding battens Added bevels on all leg ends and sides with the Stanley No. 72. Top frame was assembled with biscuits and glue. Three inch exterior grade screws attach it to the carcass.Finally, added a plastic 'gutter' of sorts to carry the water that does run through to the back of the box. I'll update with a pic of that later.Delivered to my sister for veggies planting this weekend, she was very pleased, thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Apr-2020

RV Garage doors

RV Garage doorsI designed and built this garage over the past year. We had originally planned to leave the RV door section open but decided it made the whole building look unfinished. Since the opening would not work for a traditional rollup garage door I decide to design and build my own doors. Each doors is 13.5 high and 6 feet wide. The framing started out a 2×12 Southern Yellow Pine that was then ripped in half as I could not get SYP in a 2×6. SYP was then planned on both sides and jointed on each edge to square up all the corners and smooth out the lumber. Several people recommended that I use poplar but i could not find popular in 2×6 or 2×12 size in a 14” or more length. I used floating tenons made from some of 3/4 thick white oak flooring that I planned down to 1/2 thick and then rounded over all the edges with a router. The tenons were 2.25 wide and 5 inches long. Mortises were cut with a plunge router. I dry fit everything and then glued and piped clamped everything together. 4 panels of 3' x 8.75' were then glued and screwed to the back. I then ran an ogee router bit around all the inside framing edges. Two 6' foot sections of Piano style hinges were attached to each door. The hinges were made of stainless steel and had 2” flanges. Hinges were attached to the garage walls with 4 1/2 inch timberlok screws. It was a big project but they turned out pretty well. The SYP was not perfectly straight but I hid the bow behind the center overlap board.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Apr-2020

Bocce Ball box

Bocce Ball boxI have a friend who wanted to learn how to do some woodworking so I helped him make this Bocce Ball holder. A very good starter project.

posted at: 12:00am on 30-Apr-2020

Daughter's box

Daughter's boxAfter many years away from wood working I got back into and finally made a box for my daughter. I make these boxes to store baby items (copy of birt certy, 1st rattle, birth stats sheets, things like that). Then give this box with all this stuff in to my daughter. That way they have all thier items we keep from birth and a box thier dad hand made for them.
This was made with maple and walnut. I really like the color difference of the 2 woods. The stain used is sedona red 222. I don't like the color it came out. It feels too red to me and darkens the maple to much, HOWEVER my customer, her sister and her mom love the color of it. The pictures of the lid show pre stain
This is my first attemept at box/ finger joint. I did this with my router and a jig. I learned A LOT about doing finger joints doing this. Although I had some times I wanted throw the wood at the wall I liked doing this and will do another finger joint box again. I wasn't sure what to do for the lid so I did a flat finger joint, then on the bottem side I did 1/4 design for a lip. Thought it would be fun and something not seen much, I was pleasently surprised how how this bottom side lip turned out. Fits so the lide won't slide. The “S” is burned in the bottom of the lid and the bottom of the box. This will now be my mark I do on the work I do when I can. It was fun to get back into wood working again. Plus I got a new table saw and that has made a huge impact on my work.Thanks all for looking at this. Please feel free to commit. I always am grateful what people have to say.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Apr-2020

Built in fireplace/tv cabinet

Built in fireplace/tv cabinetThis big empty corner in our master bedroom needed a corner fireplace so I built in an electric one with a tv cabinet above. There is a drawer above, a drawer below, two pop off panels either side (to access electric etc), and a flip down middle section to house DVD player etc.how I built it:

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Apr-2020

Headboard Upsize

Headboard UpsizeA recently retired co-worker asked me if I could attempt to duplicate their existing headboard but make it king-sized. Told him I was willing to give it a shot as long as he wasn't in a hurry for it. Knocked the posts out last fall as well as the stiles and rails but other stuff kept getting in the way. With the current state of affairs my going has been limited to going to work and back so I have had some extra time on my hands. Finally cut the raised panels and managed to glue it all together. The last picture is what he sent me to work from. Thankfully he will color match and handle the wrought iron piece. 84” wide and 60 1/2” tall. First attempt with raised panels so this was a learning experience.

posted at: 12:00am on 29-Apr-2020

Pallet wood birdhouse

Pallet wood birdhouse Chopped up a pallet the other day, and at about the same time had a couple house finches trying to build a nest on top of the roll-up shade on our veranda. I went looking, and the boards from the pallet were just about the same width as those called for in the house finch house so I figured that was a sign. I slapped this house together today with glue and screws, plus a spare hinge I found in a bag of assorted hardware that I unpacked, and a piece of electrical wire left over from the construction of my shop.Not very fancy, but I'll try to get it mounted on a pole and get the pole planted in the yard tomorrow, and maybe the birds will have a new home.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Apr-2020

A Bowl - OR - There's Money in Wood

A Bowl - OR - There's Money in WoodI rough-turned this in March, last year. I re-mounted it a couple days ago. Did some more turning on it to make it round again and to make it thinner, using tools I did not have more than a year ago.The exterior finish was far too much work. I probably spent about ten hours on it. I got it acceptable and went to the interior. Spalted, wormy, punky Maple is a thing that, unlike Cocobolo, for instance, does not care to become shiny, or smooth. Not on the inside, anyhow. I think I did an okay job on the outside, as I said. There I was, busting a nut on the inside, today, and came to the conclusion that there was not much I could do to make it stop being ugly. I even went over to HF and bought some sanding balls. No joy. This Thing simply wanted to be butt-ugly, on the inside. That's why I did what I did to the inside. So you wouldn't have to see how ugly it was.I mixed some black pearl dye and Macropearl in WOP and brushed it on. A lot of it did I brush on, using a hair dryer between coats. I decided that the bark, too, was nothing to write home about. So, I mixed some WOP with Yellow Gold dye and Macropearl, and gave it the same treatment.I finished the bottom by utilizing the Styrofoam ball method, squashed up with the tailstock live center. I had a lot of leftover Gold WOP, so I applied some of that to the bottom, too. It was a lot less ugly than the inside. It probably would have accepted a full-blown finishing as well as the outside had. But (not to put too fine a point on it), I was sick of fighting with this Thing, and wanted to be done with it.The penny? Some significance? Yeah. The “significance,” as you put it, is that I just felt like it. And, also, while I possess a 3/4” Forstner bit (the size of a penny), I do not have a 45/64ths Forstner. Otherwise, it would have been a shiny dime. And, also, shut up.My Echo, my Shadow, and Me? We all apologize to thee.- If you're trying to find a needle in a haystack, use a magnet – Mark The Problem-Solver. You're welcome.- If you're having trouble making both ends meet, make one end vegetables – Mark The Problem-Solver. You're welcome.Mark The Problem Solver. (Just being cute. It pains me that life has gotten so stupid that people need to be told not to drink bleach.)

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Apr-2020

17" Lazy Susan

17" Lazy SusanVarious younger family members of The Wood Buddies Shop trio requested Lazy Susan's for their kitchen tables. We decided since 5 were required plus a mock-up we would mass produce them.A 3/4” thick x 17” MDF template was cut using a neighbors full size CNC router. Since we had a bowl bit but not a pin the same size as the bit for our overarm pin router we had another neighbor make the pin for us.We selected some Northern Hard Maple with distinctive characteristics from the Woodworkers Source out of Arizona. Since the lumber was only 13/16” thick we 3” ripped, jointed, surfaced and glued the wide boards back together.Using Urea Formaldehyde glue ten 18” square pieces were made. Once these ten cured we surfaced the faces and glued two squares together. This gave us five 1-1/2” x 18” x 18” squares.The squares were cut circular on a bandsaw 1/8” larger than the CNC MDF template. We then used a circle fixture on our 12” disk sander sanding to the template size while also giving us a finished outside edge. The template was attached to the 17” diameter piece and routed using the over arm pin router.After detaching the template the routed sections were sanded using an inflatable bowl sander from King Arthur's Tools. All edges were rounded over and the entire unit coated with a food safe finish from Mohawk. Finally the 12” round lazy susan from Lowe's with wood base was attached to the project. The bottom of the base was covered with PSA felt from Hobby Lobby so as not to scratch the kitchen table surface.

posted at: 12:00am on 28-Apr-2020

Tresale Table

Tresale TableFinally getting caught up with posting projects that I completed in the fall of 19. The table was a house warming gift to my stepson, made of local oak that was planed and jointed by machine.The majority of the work was done with hand tools and went well. Unfortunately I continue with my on going struggle with putting on finishes.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Apr-2020

Sofa table

Sofa tableAnother sofa/river table. Top is myrtle, with mother of pearl in the river part. Still have not figured out how to get the epoxy to shine. Plus I forgot to seal the wood especially the edges before epoxy. Bottom is walnut.

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Apr-2020

Contemporary side table

Contemporary side tableThis project started out as a set of night stands. My wife decided that they needed to be in the living room so that's where they went. I made the first one several years ago but life and all of it's insanity intervened so the final one was just completed. The design is my own. I prefer simple clean lines and minimal ornamentation. The wood is domestic cherry from a New England farm of a friend. A majority of the work was by hand tools, all of the joinery was by hand.The curved relief on the legs was done with a turning saw and a compass plane.Too keep everything aligned during the build and glue up I used a pair of pine frames.The top pieces forming the floating top frame were nailed into the upright mortices with bamboo skewers.Finish is natural Danish oil and wipe on satin poly.I don't know if I should take this as a bad omen but a hummingbird flew into my shop and pooped on the table right after i did the last coat of wipe on poly!

posted at: 12:00am on 27-Apr-2020

Wood Cookie Sander Stand

Wood Cookie Sander StandCreated a two drawer stand for wood cookie sander. This is a bench model random orbital sander attached to a two drawer mobile stand. The stand has two full extension drawers that hold eight different grit hook and loop 9” abrasive disks. The abrasives are kept from curling using a sheet of clear plastic as a weight. The clear plastic also allows us to note the grit size.Since the wood cookies are 3/16” to 1/4” we kept sanding our fingertips so we designed a pressure board. The pressure board device looking like an unshelled peanut allows for two hands to press the wood cookie against the abrasive. There are two styles of pressure boards. One is backed with 400 grit PSA abrasive while the second has a non-woven (Scotchbrite style) pad attached.The mobile cart is low in height allowing us to sand while standing but allow us to keep our arms straight. The cart top is high pressure laminate attache to birch veneer plywood as is the entire cart. The top Black edging is T-molding. Overall the cart is finished with Tung oil.Lots of wood cookies to sand for our R-tist wood buddy to create painted scenes for Christmas 2020 ornaments.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Apr-2020

Two Part Chair

Two Part ChairWith Seven grand kids between our two families it takes some thought as to what they would like that we can make in the Wood Buddies Shop.Since they all like to be around water whether a lake or pool we came up with a two part chair that each could carry and was compact enough to fit in the family vehicle. The two part chair has various names such as camp chair, pool chair, or fishing chair.We created several mock ups out of shelf board to determine the arcs and angles not knowing at the time Woodcraft had plans: Item 412280, Model OFS-1005. Once we had determined all the dimensions we created two fixtures, one for the seat and one for the back arc's. Additional fixtures were built to locate and drill all the clearance holes along with counter sinking them using our 10” drill press.Alder was selected and stainless steel wood screws were used. All the alder was cut then all sharp edges were rounded with a round over router bit. After a final sanding the top back slat was engraved using our laser with the child's first name.A marine grade varnish was applied three times and then the chairs were assembled.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Apr-2020

Lumber / Panel Cart Modification

Lumber / Panel Cart ModificationYears ago Grizzly sold a lumber and mobile panel cart. To stabilize the cart from tipping over each caster unit was wider than the panel holding portion. For years in The Wood Buddies we just stuffed lumber, full sheets, and panel off-fall into the cart. This ended up scratching some of the better panel pieces.Next we tried to place an insert inside the body of the cart allowing larger pieces to be outside the insert. Again it was too stuffed.Looking at the lumber / panel racks of other LJ's we noticed the angle rack sides others had created. An idea blossomed why not place angled racks outside the main body of the cart as they would only hold smaller pieces and not enough weight to tip over the cart. Using one sheet of 7/16 thick plywood two 5 wide angle racks were created and attached to the cart. We glued a high pressure plastic laminate to the interior floor allowing larger panels to slide.Now the larger panels are stored inside the cart while smaller items are in the two exterior racks.
Thank you LJ's for all the creative solutions you share.

posted at: 12:00am on 26-Apr-2020

One CRAZY BOWL and two on FIRE

One CRAZY BOWL and two on FIREI had actually set out to make a different design, however I was not sure how to accomplish it, this is totally different from what was in my foggy head. One problem the size of the piece of wood was not the right size I think. needed to be a smaller log. NEXT TIME, you just wait. I WILL DO IT. I started out the usual way, lathe the bottom with a foot.The foot of coarse was lathed off at the end, Holes where added, as I thought it looked abit crazy and I thought it may improve the look, but once one starts one can not go back. Do you think it looks OK with them.The wood used is Popular, actually Aspen, soft junk wood here, grow every where, not even good for fire wood, I though I would try it though and fell a few trees. I then though, I wander how it lathes. Actually I was surprised and kinda like the wood and how it looks. Fun to learn on, lathes fast green, turn on high speed and the water flys out, 3, 20 minute sessions on medium heat and one is ready to finish the turning process. Just like that. Simple and fast. This was the first bowl I turned.The next on in the end had a disaster, slipped out of may hand and went crash, crack on the floor. one side looks okAnother thing I discover about this ;pours wood, light shines through it and opens up new possibilities, decorative lamps etc.Thanks again for looking, comments are appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Apr-2020

Wooden Entryway Coat and Mitten rack

Wooden Entryway Coat and Mitten rackI needed a shelf in the entryway of the house I just rented. It's such a big entryway that i needed to put something in there. So next I'll be posting the dresser that I'm about to repurpose into a bench. Thanks for checking it out and if you have any feedback I'm always open.

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Apr-2020

Oak fractal burned table

Oak fractal burned tableHere's my latest project. a fractal burned tabletop, filled in with silver epoxy. the table is 32” round, red oak i sourced from a local sawyer. it had a couple natural voids, i filled those with the silver as well. the top is 1 1/4” thick and I used my diy built fractal burning machine to create the effect on the top. I used stonecoat countertops epoxy to fill and also for a floodcoat. I then knocked down the shine with 320 grit, then finished it with watco satin wipe on poly. then buffed out with a finishing wax. i am extremely happy with the final outcome, and intend to sell the table, providing my wife doesn't claim it for herself! thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 25-Apr-2020

Comments:

wooden mack dump truck model

wooden mack dump truck modelhand made from scratch , 100 hours from start to finish ,made out of cedar,poplar,pine,manzanita 16'' long 5''wide 6''tall

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Apr-2020

Greene and Greene Frame- pyrography

Greene and Greene Frame- pyrographyWood burning of a pic taken during a hike at Rocky Fork State Park in TN. As the pyrography project neared completion I decided to make a frame ( vs store bought) to match. Decided on this Greene and Greene design I saw in Robert Lang's article in Popular Woodworking, adjusting the dimensions to fit the 8-1/2×11 wood burning. The wood is a reclaimed joist from a 1950s craftsman home my wife and I bought and rebuilt as a home for her dad. You can see one of the old nail holes in the top stile. I think it's oak, but as much as I like to build, admittedly my wood knowledge is lacking. Mortise and tenon construction with a bit of a deviation from the article as the radii were formed on the router table. For the square pegs, some scrap ?, fit in drilled and chiseled mortises as I haven't mastered my mortiser. Sanded to 320, a light coat of dark walnut danish oil followed by 2 coats of amber shellac rubbed on and the a couple coats of paste wax.Thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Apr-2020

Another Little Nip - OR -

Another Little Nip - OR -Little Nip's taller, younger, better-looking brother.Another pen blank bites the dust. This is Cocobolo. Wonderful stuff, Cocobolo.To the shape of the bowl.An added feature for the neck.Then, sanding. (This piece had to finished in stages, of course, because it'll have a thin stem.) I took these photos along the way, just in case it broke. I'd at least get a Woe is Me. Blog out of it. Sorry. Maybe later.I sanded 320 through 600, first.On to the Micromesh, through 12000.I then sealed it with a couple coats of Shellac.On to the Acks Abrasive Paste.And finished off with a few coats of Acks Polishing Paste.That's all the photos. But, there are more words. Sorry.I turned the stem down to what I figured should be about the mid-point and went through the finishing process on that, after adding that little middle-of-stem feature.Then, I turned the lower half of the stem and the base, and finished that.I went in with my parting tool til it started wiggling, then went in with my gent saw. I always turn a little concavity in the bottom of a Thing I'm about to part off. This, naturally, left a little nib that wouldn't allow the Thing to stand up. I worried that away with a knife, a carving tool, and a pound of flesh.Thank you. And, I apologize.

posted at: 12:00am on 24-Apr-2020

Moravian workbench

Moravian workbench Yes yet another Moravian workbench. Douglas fir with milk paint base and topcoat of linseed oil. This is my first experience with one of these benches but it definitely is solid and still able to transport. Good for us gorilla carpenters.
6 8 ' 4×4s, 2 8' 2×4s, 1 1x10 6' & scrap oak for tusk wedges and vice chop. 63 long 24 wide 34 tall

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Apr-2020

1st Acoustic Guitar

1st Acoustic GuitarAfter more than two years of working on building my first acoustic guitar, I can happily say it is finished! As a 17-year-old, this project has been the most challenging I have built, but also by far the most satisfying and rewarding. Other than the thickness sanding, I have completed this guitar on my own. It actually sounds pretty good!The back and sides are made from Mahogany, the soundboard is Sitka Spruce, with walnut burl and maple burl inlays. It does have a segmented rosette, which I have grown to really like over standard rosettes. The binding is Rosewood and Maple, along with herringbone purfling. My choice of finish for the guitar is french polish; the tuning machines are Schaller Grandtune tuners. If you would like to see the building process, it is documented in my blog.I would like to say a huge thank you to the many who have given help, advice, and support:
First, my Creator and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave me the talent and ability to build this instrument for His glory. May he receive all the praise for and from this guitar!
Second, my family and friends, who have given me much support and encouragement to start, put in the effort, and complete this guitar.
Mr. Ira Matheny (rustfever on LJ's) for the mahogany back and sides and all inlaid wood. He also graciously helped me thickness sand the top, back, and sides, as well as allowed me to use the larger tools in his shop I don't have access to at home.
Mr. Ervin Somogyi, who, in my opinion, is the best guitar maker at this time! He has given me a ton of help over my two years of building. He graciously sent me the excellent Sitka Spruce top from his own guitar top stash. This guitar is patterned after Mr. Somogyi's instruments, in as close of detail as I possibly could (with his permission). The segmented rosette is something Mr. Somogyi has primarily endorsed. If any of you ever wish to build an acoustic guitar, his instruction books are the best I have come across. https://esomogyi.com/Lastly, to those of you who are considering building a guitar, I would definitely say do it! It isn't a cheap adventure, but definitely a rewarding one! Between my injury when building requiring fifteen stitches, the two years of work, I think I can say this instrument is made up of some blood, sweat, and tears(?)!Thanks for looking, all questions or comments are welcome!
Youtube video for sound:
https://youtu.be/N8EykP_SPrY-Dale Miller

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Apr-2020

Bird Feeder

Bird FeederUsing this down time to make a feeder. Always good to keep the old materials from remodel jobs u do.

posted at: 12:00am on 23-Apr-2020

Window seat

Window seatWe have had these bay windows in our house just taunting me. My wife is very pleased with the outcome. She made the cushion and pillows.I used Kreg screws for the 2×4 frame, and wrapped it with 1/2” birch plywood. Made the moldings from pine doing some bad things on a table saw for the molding pieces between the angles. The doors are rimmed with pine window casings and backed with some pine shoe moldings so the doors are flush.With the mix of wood and knowing both don't stain well, I used pre-conditioner and then followed with a gel stain. For the pine pieces I had to use spray urethane otherwise the stain just came off. For the birch ply, I used Arm-R-Seal. I am pleased with the outcome.For me it was a short project, it only took 4 months :-)

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Apr-2020

My New Construction Lumber Woodworking Bench

My New Construction Lumber Woodworking BenchSo, my first bench consisted of a Base with 4 layers of MDF and a poplar skirt. I just finished my new Benchtop. It's made of construction lumber laminated for a top. My previous bench had a Face Vise and a Tail Vise, but I decided to try a Leg Vise, just because I felt like it. It's 28×72 inches. Doubles as an outfeed table, even though my fence impedes the process a little bit.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Apr-2020

New Banjo Neck

New Banjo Neck I was never satisfied with the neck on first banjo I built about three years ago. It was too narrow, and the string spacing was too close. The new neck corrected those issues with a 3/8” string spacing across the neck. While everything was broken down I made a Myrtle wood arm rest to match the headstock overlay. The headstock inlay is a bit funky, but I salvaged what I could from the original neck. The fretboard is made of ebony which I found for $15 per pound. The neck is Jatoba, with a Myrtle center piece.Pic 1: I've had bad luck gluing down fretboards so dowls for alignment pins were located in the fretboard dots.
Pic 2: Thought the marble reference stone would make a good flat gluing surface and it did (the sand paper does not extend under the glueup).
Pic 3: All fretted up and attached to the pot.
Pic 4: Inlay from the original neck… basically an Inlay of an Inlay.
Pic 5: Someone suggested dressing up the neck joint so I added this swoop where the neck joins the headstock. I believe it also strengthens the weak spot where the neck joins the headstock.
Pic 6: Always a bit nervous when drilling and tapping an expensive brass tension hoop. The original banjo build and the segmented construction of the banjo pot can be seen in my project posted in August 2017.

posted at: 12:00am on 22-Apr-2020

Dipping spoon

Dipping spoon A dipper spoon I carved from a downed limb. It's pretty rough, I need a lot more practice.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Apr-2020

A Lipless Crankbait in Maple

A Lipless Crankbait in MapleToday I made a lipless crankbait. It's made out of hard maple. I used it because I wanted a sinker and with dense wood you can add less ballast to get it to drop. There is a video of the build and also getting it wet here. It's only about 10 minutes long should you care to see it.Small, creative projects seem to agree with me during Corona time.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Apr-2020

Church Windows

Church WindowsMade for a friend for use as a wall hanging. They will paint with a “distressed” look. Made of scrap pine and fir. The top was made by gluing thin strips around a semi-circle form. All other curved pieces were cut with a jigsaw. Plenty of wood filler to hide the lousy joinery.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2020

Toolbox for bench

Toolbox for benchSome may remember the bench i built a couple years ago. Last year i started on a set of drawers to fit inside it. It quickly got put on the back burner partially built for almost a year. Been out of work for a month due to covid-19 even though im considered essential, well, that has left a lot of time to play in the shop. Finally got tired of seeing the half built carcass sitting on top of the bench and got to work on it again, and finally finished it up today. The carcass is salvaged oak flooring, the drawer bodies were built with different scraps i had, the faces are cherry, and the pulls are from some leftover mahogany from the bench top. I hope my fellow lumberjocks re doing well during this time, stay safe, and take advantage, spend time with the family, and in the shop, stay safe my friends, and as always, thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2020

Number 5 is alive!

Number 5 is alive!Good day all, as the title suggests this is my fifth one of these that I've made and definitely the most challenging. It is made from the same walnut and buggy maple that most the rest of the others are. I found this lumber at an estate sale last summer, tucked away in the corner of an old barn, I had to buy the whole pile so I started making these flags to try and use it up. I'm anxious to be able to get back out there and find some different species of wood to use but for now this will have to do.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2020

Guitar amp

Guitar ampWas supposed to be making (my first) electric guitar and/or a cherry dresser, but due to corona virus lock-down I had to resort to something I could make at home.This is what I made. Well OK, my brother did the electronics part, but that 1000 piece puzzle looked childishly easy ;)The first iteration was out of pine, but I had my measurements wrong and the contents wouldnt fit! 19 mm (appr 3/4 inch) pine sheet that you can buy from a big-box store was so delicate, that it kept blowing it up in the router. Or at the latest when I was removing the routing template attached with double sided tape. Or, since this seemed like a problem, routing over my line because the template was not properly attached. By the time I got the finished electronics from my brother and noticed the mismatch, I was ready to change the raw material to similar big-box store bought oak! That worked so well, that I changed course and ended up finishing this with Osmo oilwax instead of Tolex-wrap. By this time I also had my box-building routine dialed in due to repetition, repetition, repetition, and the oak version was ready for glue-up in less than an hour. My minimum sized pine sheets were so plentiful, that I wasnt too worried about making replacement pieces instead of investing in the proper process. With oak I didnt have extra, so I was a lot more thorough in preparing the routing of the opening for the front panel, as well as with the round-overs. At this stage I also changed the grill cloth for this cane version for a more vintage look overall.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2020

Comments:

Record Display Stand (Purpleheart, Mahogany, Quilted Maple, Zebrawood, Padauk,Curly Maple) This was my second commission from an audiophile friend in Colorado. He wanted a record display stand that he could use to hold the record sleeve of what is currently spinning. He's one of my best friends so I decided to go over and above his requests.You may notice some tearout on the lip of the sleeve groove, this was caused by a brown recluse deciding to inspect my work. I broke a spiral bit in the excitement and tore out some of the wood. I took the day off after that, bought some of the strongest spider killer you could find and de-spidered the shop.This project is entirely made of scraps from previous projects, some rare earth magnets and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal.The quote on the base is one of his favorite lyrics.Dimensions: 13”W x 6”L x 4”T
Materials: Purpleheart, Mahogany, Quilted Maple, Zebrawood, Padauk,Curly Maple
Finish:General Finishes Arm-R-Seal
Tools Used: Table Saw, Planer, Router, Shapeoko 3, Chisels
Time to Build: 16 hours

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2020

Finishing Pyramids

Finishing PyramidsDuring my last project I found that I did not have enough of these little pyramids , so I made a bunch today. They were cut from a piece of 2” thick beech that was just about into the wood furnace. I cut two lengths out of the plank and got 18 pyramids out of it. They are 2”x 2” x 1 1/2” high and the sides are cut at 30 degrees. The other ones I have were made on the miter saw, but maybe I'm getting more cautious in my old age, but holding them in that saw was real unsafe. So I took one of my angle cutting sleds and made a 30 degree cut through it and made an end stop with a square end for the first 2 cuts and an angled end for the second 2 cuts. It worked real slick and it was very safe. I made all the cuts on all of these in 15 minutes on that sled.Because it is real hard to pick up a pyramid with tapered sides, I drilled some holes in all the faces for gripping. Then I put some 120 grit sandpaper on the bottom so they stay in place with a part on them. They are finished with clear lacquer.I put s a few process shots below:
Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2020

Purple Martin House

Purple Martin HouseHave been having quite a few Purple Martins nesting in our yard for the last several years, so decided to build a new house for them to put with our others. Forgot to take pictures when it was in my shop so took them after it was installed. It is around 28 inches tall and each of the four compartments are 6” X 6” square with vent holes in the back. I got the plans off the internet. This was made with construction grade 3/4 inch pine with a coat of primer and then two heavy coats of exterior flat based white latex. The left side comes off for cleaning when needed.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Apr-2020

Another UNIQUE method to make a BANDSAW BOX. One of two

Another UNIQUE  method to make a BANDSAW BOX. One of twoA few entries ago I posted this bandsaw boxThe unique method to construct it was to cut the shape in half and then joined it back together with a wood strip. This mad it very easy to cut the drawers out without cuts going here and there across the front. Easy to adapt to different shapes and number of drawers.
I started out to make a four leaf clover box for a birthday gift and soon discovered it would not work, as the leaves join in one spot. Came up with this idea to also make multiple parts that would be easy to sand and cut out the drawersStarted out with a sketch on a block of wood, then the two halves where separated by cutting on the vertical line.The next step was to cut the horizontal line on each half.Then cut each drawer out.Drawers are then completed the same way as a traditional bandsaw box, eventually everything is sanded, the four petals are glued back together and it can be mounted on a base. These make great gifts. More romantic than a bowl. Add some jewelry and you will really add some points.I made two YOUTUBE videos to show you the comp;let ;process with all the instruction and ins and outs. It is 30 minutes long, but you may be interested in the introduction video, Its 7 minutes long but also shows several more bandsaw boxes that I made from driftwood a few years back
METHOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNV-EwvljpwINTRODUCTION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5EI1Fov14hanks for looking, comments much appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Apr-2020

Sweetheart bowl

Sweetheart bowlHere is my latest “stay at home” Corona bowl which I titled Sweetheart. Started this at the time we had to shelter in place and just finished it, one month later. Bowl is approx. 8 Inches in dia. and has 985 pieces. Woods are Bloodwood, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Wenge, and Maple. Saved a lot of time by buying my lumber via Ebay as thin stock which allowed me to cut right away rather then do a lot of lumber prep work first. Plan is from Segment Pro, a design offered by Tom Lohman, which I modified slightly.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Apr-2020

Solid Wood Bench seats for Farm Table

Solid Wood Bench seats for Farm Table I wanted to build two bench style seats to complement a Cobb and Co wired together table that I built in 2018.
The table can be seen in my projects by clicking hereThe bench seats are once again produced during Covid19 isolation on the farm and made out of the infamous bug ridden Bunya Pine Slabs.Getting the design and comfort of these seats was probably the hardest part, Due to heavy weight solid wood I wanted them to be as small as possible whilst still making them a good solid comfortable seat to sit on. I made a template outlining the slight angle back of the seat and getting seat back angle correct. I was careful to get sizing and spacing between seat back and seat top correct.The seats consist of 4 pieces of solid timber each. Once the members where cut out I simply shaped and sanded them with a disk grinder with rough grit sanding disks. Simple angle Iron brackets underneath to hold the seat tops down and coach screws (carriage bolt) through to the back of the seat backs, (this was tricky due to different sizes of the live edge on the vertical seat structural member.)Last but not least The Horse Shoe handles that I cleaned up, shaped, drilled, and painted help to get the seat in and out of position and good for two people one either end when shifting the seats about. The Horse shoes where given to me by friends who own a Brahman Cattle Stud, Their place is called Rockley and is in Warialda NSW here in Australia. (thanks Tim for the Old horse shoes.)Sorry lots of Photos of me in this one, Lovie was right by my side for most of the build and took some candid shots of the construction.Thanks for reading.
Regards
Anthony (Dyraaba NSW)

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Apr-2020

Joker Poker Case

Joker Poker CaseSo, we used to have 53 envelopes containing a single card stretched across the back bar. It took up space, and was just in the way. So we decided to make a case that hass all 53 cards in envelopes. Here is the end result. In the spirit of a true wood worker, I made it completely out of scrap wood I had laying around.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Apr-2020

Mortar and pestle

Mortar and pestle Hey everyone, I finally have a project other than my flags to show off. Here is a mortar and pestle i made for my mom back home in Kentucky. It is turned from a piece of Japanese Elm burl that I bought from an exotic wood dealer on a recent trip to North Carolina. Interesting fact about this piece of wood is that it came from a tree that grew in New York city and when it was cut down nobody wanted the tree so this specific dealer acquired it and long story short I purchased this 5 and a half pound piece for 20 bucks a pound, probably the most I've ever paid for a chunk of wood. Special piece for a very special Lady!

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2020

New Router Table and Mobile Workmate Stand

New Router Table and Mobile Workmate StandAgain caught in the Shop Shed and small Space. Thank goodness for saving scrap particle board from cabinets, bolts and parts from the trash day clean up. Some paint I had, and Past experience since this is my second router table top made from this plan. The insert I had saved. Cheap plexi glass will warp. This is the Harbor Freight 2 hp I bought for about $50 with 1/4 and 1/2 collets. I reinforced with blocks the recess since it left only a 1/4 inch and you see a 2×3 frame for the underside. I added 3/4 boards at the edge for extra since my plan uses bolts and wood blocks to clamp the fence, even if you use another clamp I would reinforce the edge. This was 5/8 particle board from cabinets spray painted 4 coats of black and a coat of paste wax. The fence boards are particle board and I made the slots for screws…really nasty to slot particle board but its solid. And the small notch for sawdust. the top is 28 by 16. The mobile base I made 24 by 24 and had blocks to bring it up 7 inches and the old casters were just extra. as were the edge boards. you can find this idea on utube. In my 8×16 shed I needed the mobile base. A pvc dust pipe will be added to the fence.
thanks. Hal

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2020

Utensil Holder

Utensil Holderbuilt this kitchen utensil holder for my wife after the glass one that she had was broken. found some leftover cherry from another project, re-sawed it to the desired thickness on the bandsaw, then decided to try an octagon instead of a typical square. it worked out well I think. i poured a bartop epoxy in the bottom to help keep it from getting damaged over time. finished with some wipe on poly and paste wax buffed out. it really made the grain pop on the cherry! the wife is ecstatic with the result. thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2020

Sorrt of

Sorrt ofI made this and the body is made out of 3/4 MDF and other supportive wood materialsENJOY!

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Apr-2020

Mission Style Foot Stool

Mission Style Foot StoolWith Covid-19 stay-at-home order in effect in Ohio (thankfully), comfort in front of the TV has added importance. So, that's how this simple foot stool came to be. Oak legs are a repurposed board from an old end table. The rest is plywood remnents. The ideal fabric would be leather, but, until we can shop again, the blue fabric will do. Thanks @CanalboatJim for the insipration.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Apr-2020

man cave bar

man cave barBuilt this bar in my brothers man cave. wood is all birch the bar top is quartz.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2020

The Submarine Lure

The Submarine LureI made a fishing lure with diving planes like those on the conning tower of a submarine. The idea was for it to dive deep but stay horizontal, like a sub's mid body planes. Ah…. didn't work. The behavior of the lure is unstable.But, the carving of a piece of Maple and the paint job ain't bad if I do say so myself. So, it will be relegated to a 'viewing' item rather than a fishing item this time. Ya win some, ya lose some right?A video of the build is here should you care to see a lure made from scratch from a piece of wood from my attic. It also contains an informal reasoning behind the submarine idea.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2020

Frame and swing

Frame and swingMade this frame and swing since I'm at home for a while. It's all treated and stained. Deck is 6×10 top is 8×12. Swing is 70 inches long with 5' of seating planter boxes are 12”x12”x40”. Very heavy I moved it by rolling it on PVC pipe.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2020

Drill Press Rolling Stand

Drill Press Rolling StandI wanted to add wheels to my drill press. I got these casters from Amazon. Link To Casters I made the frame and it is glued together, the top parts are not glued, so if I need to I can take the press out of the frame. At first I did not have the strong backs over the wheels, but it was a little bouncey.Added the strong back and it is solid. You can dance with this.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2020

The OzzyOcker Workbench

The OzzyOcker WorkbenchMy new workbench recently completed. Made from reclaimed Tasmanian Oak hardwoods, with Spotted Gum floorboards used for the shelf. I had always planned on using a HNT Gordon tail vice, but after seeing the HNT Gordon non-racking front vice at a local wood show, I knew I would have to splash the cash on that too.The legs are splayed out slightly. It added quite a lot of extra work to the build, but after modelling the bench in Fusion 360, it simply looked better with the legs splayed. I also dyed the sliding deadman and tail vice cover plate “blue”, but it ended up being green/blue after applying a single coat of danish oil to everything.Let me know what you think. Thanks.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2020

Walnut Cutting Board

Walnut Cutting BoardA few months ago my uncle gave me several long 3/4” x 3/4” strips of walnut and finally got around to making him a cutting board, as thanks. The accent pieces are maple and cherry.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2020

Crucifix, Holy Family Cathedral, Saskatoon, SK

Crucifix, Holy Family Cathedral, Saskatoon, SKHoly Family Cathedral in Saskatoon placed the crucifix I carved for them some years ago in front of the Cathedral for Holy Week. They secured a rough log, fashioned a cross and hung the crucifix to it. Then they dug a hole and lifted the cross and crucifix into place. Knights of Columbus offered security for the site, since the Cathedral, like so many other church buildings, is closed during the Covid-19 crisis.People from across the city come by in their cars to view the cross and offer up their prayers. In the season of Covid-19, this is a wonderful opportunity for those who wish to “pay their respects” to their crucified Lord, Jesus.

The crucifix is fashioned from laminated Poplar wood, thus the color variation in the wood.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Apr-2020

Folding outfeed table - Delta 36-725

Folding outfeed table - Delta 36-725I finally got around to adding a folding outfeed table to my already heavily Frankensteined Delta 36-725. I used folding shelf brackets to fold the table down. The brackets are mounted to a board attached to the Incra fence and the mobile base I made last year. The table measures 20 x 40.I've previously upgraded to an Incra fence, put in a 4 dust collection outlet, added a router lift to a wing and built a different base with four retracting casters.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Apr-2020

Oak hall table

Oak hall table Here is a custom oak hall table that I built for my wife. It was designed by Mike Pekovich from FineWoodworking Magazine. It's constructed with through drawbore mortise and tenons.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Apr-2020

Comments:

Red Oak and slate craftsman style coffee table

Red Oak and slate craftsman style coffee tableUsing red oak, I made a frame for three pieces of slate, and then built the legs and skirt. I stained with a waterbased cherry stain/dye. I liberally used the stain, and rubbed it into the wood. It started to come alive. I finished it with a poly. The slate is uneven, but still works great. It is 18” high, and 44” long, 20” wide.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Apr-2020

HOLLOW TURNING, My most CHALLENGING, PLUS ONE MORE

HOLLOW TURNING, My most CHALLENGING, PLUS ONE MOREThis the last piece of the yellow cedar log I have been lathing hollow vessels. I had another design that I wanted to try. It was to have a pointed end that would sit into a holder with holes in the sides of it, and also a finial that had a ball with holes and hollowed out inside. It was a challenge but enjoyable and came out to some extend like I wanted. I would make improvement on the next one.
This seems like the only picture of constructing it. The last step, it was larger at this point while I did the major turning, at the end turning it down to as sharp a p;point as I could.Then I made the finial and base for the pointy project. I made the base first and bored 4 holes in it, The next ime I would do 6 to make it more open and delicate. When I did the finial I needed to make six holes to make it look right.I was planning from the beginning to paint the base and finial black, but finished it natural to see what it would look like natural and provide a sealed base for the paint.In the end I had to see what it looked like black, which one do you like the best.The other hollow turning I did I believe was the first one I tried this spring, more traditional shape, pictured above, after that I experimented other more demanding shapes and bases.Thanks for looking and comments are much appreciated. Everyone keep working in your shops and stay safe.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Apr-2020

Sometimes I a maze myself

Sometimes I a maze myselfI always wanted to make a wooden maze so I did.The material is lumber core that was salvaged from a Sylvania console stereo that my Dad bought in the early '60s. It's 7/8” thick with a poplar core and mahagony veneer on both sides. The side I cut was the better mahagony side.I cut the maze with a 1/4” cutter at a depth of 5/16”. I actually wanted to use a 5/16” round corner cutter but alas the cupboard was bare. My 1/4” ball bearings did not fit, after all what do you expect when you cut a 1/4” groove. So I searched, Amazon where else, and I found .236” brass ball bearings which fit the grooves without any problem.I expect, my grandkids may want to play with this so I added a 3/16” plexiglass cover, also from Amazon, and mounted it with my four very last four slotted brass screws. I cut a radius, and polished, on the top edge of the plexiglass just to make it softer to the touch.Laying out this first maze itself was not easy but now I have figured out how to do almost any maze. Another thing I learned was that a paper maze is typically smaller because the “wall” thickness is only a broad line and I wanted to keep a minimum 1/4” wall which I did in most cases (the thin walls are visible to the discerning eye)! There are three solutions to this maze and a section that has no entrance or exit (another silly mistake).It was a fun project, kept me out of trouble and busy while being locked up!

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Apr-2020

Texas Bowl

Texas BowlI made this Texas shaped bowl, it is about 15×15 and 2 1/4 inches deep using a router and a bowl bit.
Made with Maple and mahogany finished with mineral oil

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Apr-2020

Sound Bar Stand

Sound Bar StandSimple stand built for my sound bar. I made it to elevate the sound bar so it isn't blocked by the rest of the stuff i build and proudly put on display on our entertainment center. The thing about this is that i made all 3 pieces from the same log a friend of mine picked up while out hiking.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Apr-2020

Cherry Hanging Wall Cabinet

Cherry Hanging Wall CabinetThis hanging wall cabinet is based on the cabinet in Mike Pekovich's book The How and Why of Woodworking.I also followed along with Mike Pekovich's video series on Fine Woodworking's website.The cabinet was made for my daughter to hold her collection of David's Teas. It will hold 12 cans of tea. Additionally, the drawer at the bottom, with a removable walnut tray holds, tea bag packets.The cabinet is about 23” tall x 14” wide x 5” deep. It will hang on the wall with a French cleat which is attached to the back.The basswood Kumiko insert in the door is a bordered AsaNoHa pattern.I still need to add door and drawer pulls and will do that once the “stay at home” requirements are lifted and I can get out to the hardware storeThe cabinet is finished inside and out with shellac..

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Apr-2020

Spoons

SpoonsUsed black walnut, cherry and box elder.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2020

Quarantine Desk

Quarantine DeskI have a reclaimed lumber store her in my home town and I like to go in every once in a while and pick up a cut off for when the inspiration strikes. I had to add a little poplar to round things out but super happy with the way the top turned out.The bottom half I feel like I compromised for the sake of time and budget. But I can always come back later and build out a new base when time and money allows.Overall I can't wait to set up my home workstation tomorrow and give it a test drive.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2020

KVM Switch box Wall Mount

KVM Switch box Wall MountI built a new computer this past weekend to let me process photos and videos better. However, my desk space is very limited because I also have my work laptop, docking station, and dual monitors taking up the real estate. So I also bought a Keyboard, Video, and Mouse (KVM) switch box to swap between the two systems and not have to use multiple peripherals. I didn't like the idea of it sitting on the floor so I made this to mount it to the wall.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2020

Comments:

A classic dining table with round legs

A classic dining table with round legsNo glue, no nails, no screws.
A classic table where the top (3 boards) is mounted to the frame with sliding dovetails, and where the legs have also been mounted to the frame in the same way. The legs are “turned” on a homemade (shop-made) angle-grinder copy lathe machine. There's a whole video series on the making of this table:

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2020

Band saw fence - 3 heights

Band saw fence - 3 heightsThis fence can be used three different ways to provide three different fence heights. The first photo shows the 3/4 inch height on the right edge. In the second photo, I merely flipped it end-for-end so the T is in the back, and now the medium height is available on the right edge. In the third photo you see the tallest setting where I unscrewed the fence from the T, and rotated it to the tall side and screwed it into another set of holes on the T. To lock the fence in place, I use squeeze clamps with one on each end.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2020

CABOOSE and extra track

CABOOSE and extra track caboose is done 18 hours plus 2 more hours to make the track longer from 4 foot to just over 5 foot the train together is almost 5 foot engine tender passenger and caboose I'm done with trains now on to the next one this car is red oak walnut and just a touch of purple heart and maple picture 5 shows track before the stone dust added and picture 6 is all done and painted flat black I will take more pictures of whole train on the tracks later :<))

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2020

Oak Lathe Bench

Oak Lathe BenchNew little Bench for the Lathe, old one to light n shaky(in the background). Made from reclaimed Oak timbers. all Mortise a Tennon construction. Added a small Lee Valley vise that was kicking around the shop, never know when it may be needed?
Gave it a quick wipe down with BLO and now have to salvage some more Oak to make the bottom shelf and maybe a small cabinet for storage? Size is 53” long 20” deep and 34” high.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Apr-2020

"Sedici Animali" (Sixteen Fishes) - an Homage to Enzo Mari's MCM puzzle

"Sedici Animali" (Sixteen Fishes) - an Homage to Enzo Mari's MCM puzzleEnzo Mari designed this c. 1957 for Italian manufacturer, Danese Milano.My understanding is that the original was Oak, (or sometimes plastic), around 1 inch thick. This puzzle was made out of 1/2” thick birch ply.My dear friends are expecting their first baby any day now – I made this as a gift to them to commemorate the occasion. (I don't actually think this is an appropriate toy for toddlers or younger – I just think it's a handsome piece of Italian design). Now that it's in their hands, I can share photos of it.I created a template in Inkscape, by tracing an image file of a photo with an original Danese Milano puzzle. Being a vector-graphic, I can make the template any size without it getting pixelated. My understanding was that the originals are around 15” x 10.5” – so that's what I made mine.After cutting out the pieces on a scroll saw, I refined their shape on a combo belt/disc sander. Then, after hand sanding, they got just one coat of Danish Oil, and knocked down with paste wax.I feel weird making an homage to something that's still actually in production (I guess it's technically a knockoff?). The thing is, when I first saw EM's puzzles, I don't want to have it—I wanted to make it! I also made his other puzzle, “Sedici Animali” which is on my projects page.They're a lot of fun to make!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Apr-2020

Honing guide stop

Honing guide stopI've paused work on my tool tote until a few more tools arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I created a honing guide stop for more consistent sharpening.It was a fun little project. I sawed the sides off a beat up chunk of oak with a ryoba Japanese saw. I really like this saw! My technique has improved a lot over the past week or two and my cuts were almost dead square. One of those moments that brings confidence, for sure.I shaved the board a little, just to take off the roughness and practice some planing and glued on a few scraps as stops. Narrow lines are for chisels; wide lines are for plane irons.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Apr-2020

Cherry ceiling drop panel

Cherry ceiling drop panelMy wife and I had our kitchen remodeled last year and as a finishing touch, I wanted to add a decorative ceiling panel from which we could hang pendant lights over the new island.My other goal was to cover one of the can-light fixtures over the island. That fixture was on a dimmer switch with 4 other can lights in the kitchen. I didn't want to wire the pendant lights to the same switch so I ran new wiring and installed a new switch.The mounting frame was fashioned from construction site salvage lumber :-)The panel was my own design and I made it from cherry plywood with solid cherry trim. I stained it with English Walnut and applies a couple coats of water-based poly. It was pretty straightforward but I'm really happy the way it finishes the look of the kitchen.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2020

Segmented vessel and bowl

Segmented vessel and bowlI've been trying to use the self-imposed quarantine wisely. Within the last three weeks I've finished another segmented vessel and a bowl. The vessel has 389 pieces of White Oak; Maple, Yellowheart and Walnut. The feature ring has an open segment design. The 14” bowl is also made of White Oak and Walnut. They're both finished with Min-Wax Antique Oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2020

nightstand2

nightstand2nnnnnnniiightstand

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2020

Entry Table

Entry TableMid century modern style entry table with kumiko sliding doors. Finished with 3 coats of Minwax “Tung” oil and a coat of paste wax.

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Apr-2020

Squirrel picnic table

Squirrel picnic tableOur family friend had an additional request for feeding squirrels, not only birdies need to have lunch.Made from cedar, and has a mounting bracket for the fence post. A golf tee is pin that holds the table in place. I used a plastic mayonnaise jar to hold the peanuts. Should do the trick, knowing squirrels they will quickly figure this out.I cut 4 1 inch holes in the jar to give them access to peanuts.

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Apr-2020

Comments:

More bird feeders for kids to paint

More bird feeders for kids to paintFamily friends are doctors and the kids at home are driving them a bit crazy not able to go out and adventure as usual. So I knew the idea of painting a feeder worked really well with my granddaughter and her friends, so in quarantine and some cedar fence pickets.Here is another take on paintable feeders for kids.

posted at: 12:01am on 05-Apr-2020

Comments:

Another litter of pigs ready for market

Another litter of pigs ready for marketThis my 4th generation of 'money pigs'. 3 in beech and 1 in cherry. the cylinder for the body is made using a birdsmouth router bit, I then add the hexagon ends and then turn to shape on the lathe. The legs are turned as well and set in holes drilled in the bottom. The eyes are set in recesses & secured with gelled superglue. Ears are made from leather, rolled and glues into holes. The tail is a piece of old phone cord with the wires removed and glued into a hole. The bung is 1 1/8 hole drilled with a forstner bit. The slot is 1/8 started with 2 adjacent drill holes on one end and 1 on the other. I then cut the slot with a sabre saw and cleaned up the slot with a file. Finished with a hand rubbed polyurethane and then waxed.
These have been a real hit for the grandkids, charity auctions and as gifts… and a lot of fun to make. I'd love to get suggestions for variations and improvements.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2020

Another Cantilever box

Another Cantilever boxHere's a variation of the cantilever box – with thanks to the inspiration provided by KirkSawdustmaker.
It's made from Huon Pine and Lace She-oak.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2020

SF Giants Hat/Coat rack

SF Giants Hat/Coat rackWith nothing but time on my hands, I have time to finish up and finish some stuff I started a while ago. Feels good to get some of this out of the way, and slowly work on some gifts. I'd like to hear what you all think, appreciate all the advice an help offered.Stay well, and god bless.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2020

Horizontal Fence

Horizontal FenceHorizontal fencing for a customer in Poway, CA. Whitewood pickets stained with Behr exterior deck/fence stain per customer specifications.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2020

Walnut Tissue box.

Walnut Tissue box.Tissue box w/hidden compartment. Back panel is secured with magnets in all four corners. Top compartment for tissues, bottom for whatever….Holds about 1/2 box of tissues.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2020

"Hail to the King"

"Hail to the King"Cherry burl, maple burl, bubinga
11.5” tall
3.5” wide

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2020

"Virus"

"Virus"Purple heart, orange osage, glass
Sculpture
26” tall 5” wide

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Apr-2020

Slot machine stand

Slot machine standUsing leftover wood from building my shed and my bar, I made this heavy duty stand for my old slot machine. The base is made of pine and the top is rosewood.

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Apr-2020

Sharpening Station

Sharpening Station I don't know why these pics keep rotating when I up load them but just lay on your side and look at them.I wouldn't call myself a pack rat, I do occasionally throw things away. But every once in awhile I go through the drawers and off cuts in the shop and try to make something with what I find. Todays project list a pair of drawer slides, 2 drawer pulls, set of casters, (I have lots of those) 4 oak 1 1/2 inch stool legs (left overs) a piece of unused bathroom counter top and a few scraps of oak and oak plywood. How do you like my new Tormec sharpening station.
Any help rotating this pics would be appreciated. They are upright in my photo file

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Apr-2020

Hexy Jigsaw Puzzle.

Hexy Jigsaw Puzzle.Boys and Girls,
This project was inspired by one of Steve Good's scroll saw patterns.Some of the pictures contain small nude silhouettes so if you are easily offended toughen up Nancy!For once SketchUp was given the cold shoulder and I went straight into CorelDraw. Imported Steve's PDF and proceeded to colourise the pattern,

Colourisation in the above diagram controls the cutting order won't bore you with why, unless someone asks, and then I can ignore.For previous puzzles out of MDF, I used to colour the bottom side with a texta pen (Sharpie to all you Philistines) to differentiate between the pieces' sides,

however, I thought of engraving something on each piece to indicate the downside. Deliberately avoiding the alphabet, as not everyone speaks Australian, or numbers, as not everyone can count, I chose to use silhouettes, as there are a lot of perves. I made use of these silhouettes (that I intend to include in a future post),
Off to the laser and finished up with a 3 layer design,
(for you eagle eyes the above pictures were taken after the engraving on the middle piece was filled
The bottom layer was the pattern, middle the base and the top layer the puzzle.For design #1, alignment dowels were glued into place,

as the outer pieces were not to be glued to the dowel, this permitted the dowels to be buffed permitting smoother fit.The bottom layer was flocked,
There was a change of pace and the silhouettes were engraved and filled prior to cutting to facilitate sanding,
For the prudish, the pieces were then buffed and test assembled,

and as an afterthought for the more adventurous, assemble with the bottom side indicators facing up (which became the standard design),
For design #2, the bottom pattern layer was replaced by a laminated paper design of the pattern that can be used as a guide and then stowed under the puzzle for storage,
Design #1, uses flock on the bottom layer to prevent slippage,

however, when the pattern layer is removed it props on the 4 dowels,
Wasn't happy with that and that's the reason for design #2 which had rubber pads on the base,
These are the available options.

1. Prudent operator.
  2. 3 layered option.
  3. The not so sensitive user.
I was asked for a conservative pussy (not my word) theme. This is how the lamination is fed into the laser,

And this is how it comes out of production. Can be used in either mode (pattern up or down),
The two #2 designs in the revealing configuration,
One of the benefits of the laser, when you make a mistake and detect it too late, you can redo single pieces and be assured it will fit in place. This piece had one of the silhouettes too close to the edge,

For all you musing about the perforated base, you need muse no more. When using without the pattern (up or down side), if the piece is in the wrong place (usually discovered near completion), because of the small kerf of the cut, it would be difficult to pry out a piece so it can be poked out from under the base through an appropriate hole,
I didn't consider laying the puzzle flat was a great show piece, so SketchUp came to the rescue to design a stand,

and off to CorelDraw for laser layout,
Stained, buffed and glued up (CA) ready for use,
Two sizes of stands were produces as the design #1 was 3mm thicker than #2 and I didn't want slop,

Furthermore the stand provides a rest for the pattern while cheating assembly,
Had a friend recovering from a hernia operation so I gave him a girlie version while recovering. His 5 yo daughter commandeered it. She was going to take it for show and tell, which we both thought might be inappropriate, so I designed an animal based version,
It was a hit begrudgingly I grinched on about 20 orders.My copies now assist in filling my puzzle display cabinet,
Phew, that was longer than my anticipated few word post, but with home confinement, I had time to type.I prefer to shy from construction/build videos as I only have two hands and none spare to hold the camera, however, for anyone wanting to see it in operation, I made a video of its use... so maybe you should watch that before you waste time reading this post.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2020

My Hackberry bowl

My Hackberry bowlThis was a piece of trunk of Hackberry, I got it turned and finished it with 2 coats of Aqua Coat sanding sealer and 3 coats of Aqua Coat Lacquer top coat.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2020

Marquetry Foolishness ... another shop bench

Marquetry Foolishness ... another shop benchIn these times we need something to smile about. This is another marquetry folly of mine in the form of a work desk for the marquetry room in my shop. It features marquetry bouquets and parquetry from the work of Jean Henri Reisener.
More importantly it will make me smile every time I go into the room.Thanks for looking,Stay well everyone!

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2020