February 2020

Our Berwick dining table

Our Berwick dining tableThis is what I'm calling The Berwick.
A modern X-base dining table made from solid walnut. The legs are all rift or 1/4 sawn with flat grain splines for maximum strength

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Feb-2020

Legendary Tree Hugging Elf

Legendary Tree Hugging ElfMy daughter wanted me to make her one of the Winfield Tree Hugger Birdhouses. The pattern design was pretty basic so I decided I would have some fun and make a few chances. The first change was to make the sleeves and pants hang down a little to give it some depth; add a couple of Elf Ears; and do a little creative painting. I thought the ears would be a challenge since carving is not one of my better skills. I found a pattern for Elf Ears on the Internet; sized it: and printed 6 left and 6 right patterns. These I pasted them on a couple scrap pieces of red wood and cut them out on my Scroll Saw. I then drew the rounded shape of the horizontal shape of the ears and shaped it on my sander. Then I drew the pattern of the vertical shape of the ear and shaped it on my sander. I went through this process to shape all 6 sets of ears. Finally I used my Dremel, with a burr, to carve out the inside of the ear. Easy process (see below). Took me an hour to complete all 6 sets of ears. Now it was time to get creative painting the Elf. The only pattern I had to make was for the hair on the side of the head with the side burns. All I needed for the belt, belt buckle and belt loops was a ruler and circle stencil.Skin color was obvious, left over green I used for the Dinosaur Rocking Horse I made for my Grandson. The yellow shirt was left over from a Lathe Tool/Accessory Cabinet and Drill Press Cabinet I made for my Shop. I used baby blue for the eyes to match my grandson's eyes, left over blue for the blue jeans, etc.As you can guess I was not able to make just one. My wife and a friend both loved the idea of having a Tree Hugging Elf in the yard. So one turned into three.Since then I have had neighbors and the county worker turning on the water across from my daughter's house ask where to find one. My answer is the same to all. These are limited editions, the basic pattern is available on the Winfield site if they want to make their own. I did show a friend of mine how to make the ears. He and his wife (the friend that got one) are crafters interested in making a few to sell.All-in-all a fun rewarding experience….

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Feb-2020

Back Scratcher

Back ScratcherMy sweetie mentioned the other night that she needed a back scratcher. I did a quick search, and saw Bambi's take and figured I could knock something together pretty quickly, even without a shop.I bored a hole in a piece of cherry I had laying around, cut it off the board, then glued a piece of broom stick into the piece of cherry. I shaped it quickly on the belt sander, which I dragged outside (who needs dust collection when you've got New Mexico winds to blow the dust away?), then clamped it to a pallet sitting on the tailgate of my pickup, and sawed some teeth in it. Then it was back to the belt-sander for final shaping, and then cleanup with various grits of sandpaper.A quick coat of BLO, and my honey has a new back scratcher. I'll cut the broomstick down to length and clean it up after I give it to her in a bit and can measure exactly how long she needs it to be. Pretty good use of an afternoon, I think.

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Feb-2020

Carved Wall Clock

Carved Wall ClockHi:This is my latest project, a wall-hanging clock.The carving is in 6/4” Cherry, but the wooden dowel pieces are out of various woods, chosen for color, texture and size. Mostly, though, I chose the sizes from the collection of dowels I had in my studio.I used a bandsaw to cut the disks (six different diameters) all to the same thickness. The disks were lightly sanded, and then glued to the carved clock face. Because I was applying glue to the dowels' end-grain, the disks adhered very quickly to the clock face, leaving little time for re-arranging.The cock mechanism is a straight forward quartz type, with a 3/4” stem. I chose a set of long hands to reach across the clock face.The finish is satin varathane which really brought out the color of the wood.Hope you enjoy what you see :-)

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Feb-2020

Telescoping Ceiling Light Test Stand

Telescoping Ceiling Light Test StandI built two of these telescoping stands to test various ceiling light options in preparation for an upcoming kitchen remodel. Our kitchen is lit by two large four-tube fluorescent light boxes. I've hated those things for years, and we'd like to replace them with something more modern, but deciding how to replace them has been a struggle.Each stand has an overhead arm, to which I can attach a light, on a height-adjustable post that lets me move the arm up to the ceiling. It's not as good as actually installing the light, but it's pretty close. Having two stands lets us experiment with positioning and spacing.The stands are very simple, and this is one of the few projects I've worked on where I just winged itwith no real planning or SketchUp modeling. I built both stands from four 2” x 2 furring strip boards and plywood scraps. For the wiring, I used an old three-wire extension cord, electrical plugs, and cable staples.The base of each stand is an X formed by two 24 cross-lapped boards. I also cut a shallow recess on the top of one strip to create a pocket for the bottom of the fixed post. Four angled braces connect the post to the base.The fixed part of the post is 6' tall. The movable part is 4' tall. I created a sleeve on the movable part from three 12 long plywood strips. The sleeve fits loosely around the fixed post and lets me raise the stand to reach our 9' ceilings. To maintain the adjusted height, I use a spring clamp under the sleeve.The top arm is 16 long and is screwed onto the top of the movable post, with a shallow rabbet for alignment and an angle brace for support.For wiring, I stapled a length of extension cable up the movable post over the arm, with some excess at the arm end and a male plug on the post end.The first lights we tested were 6 retrofit LED wafer lights. To hold the lights, I cut holes in 12” by 12 plywood scraps (painted white to simulate the ceiling) and attached them to the arms with spacer blocks to allow room for the fixtures.From that test we learned that these wafer lights are very bright but spray light everywhere. The light on the countertops was dim, and the wide beam spread created considerable glare. So these lights were out. (I'll use them in an above-workbench light I plan to build later.)Next, we simulated recessed cans by attaching bulb bases to the stands and using narrow-flood PAR30 bulbs. These bulbs concentrate bright light on the countertops and will be great for task lighting. But, unless we cover the ceiling with them, they won't provide adequate ambient lighting for the room.That observation led to our final test (at least for now). Our current thinking is that we'll need strategically placed (aligned with the countertop edges) PAR30 cans for task lighting and two centrally positioned traditional flush-mount lights for ambient lighting.To try this test, I attached pancake electrical boxes to the stand arms. In the last of the six main project photos at the top of this posting we're testing a 20 diameter dome light with four 15 watt LED bulbs (each roughly equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb) positioned as high as possible under one of our existing fluorescent fixtures. (By the way, this light weighs 10 pounds, and that's as heavy as I would risk with these stands. The stand is on the verge of tipping over.) It produces a lot of usable light, and we now think our plan will work. We even think three-bulb fixtures will suffice.These tests will give us more confidence when we discuss lighting with our contractor and his electrician because we'll come in from a much more informed perspective.This project will eventually be a throwaway for me. But, if I worked for a lighting or electrical shop, I'd build a bunch of fancier versions of them for testing and demonstrations. They'd have folding bases, interchangeable light arms for various light types, and integrated height locks (threaded rods with star handles in the movable posts riding in long slots in the fixed posts, etc.).I'm straying off the topic of woodworking, but I decided to post this project in case it helps anyone else struggling with lighting design. To that end, I'd also like to provide the following links, which provide the most useful lighting information I found on the web. Instead of the general “space your recessed lights in a grid” advice most articles contain, these go into detail about bulb types and discuss actual measurements and specific design principles.

Thanks for reading!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Feb-2020

Yarn Bowl

Yarn BowlThis is another mesquite yarn bowl that has turquoise inlay and fractal burned figures. It is 6” high and 5 1/2” outside diameter.It is finished with wipe on poly.Cheers, JimI also finished a sign for our new granddaugher to be in April…Mylah It is cut out of 3/16 plywood and painted with white .

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Feb-2020

Dutch Tool Chest

Dutch Tool ChestI built my Dutch Tool Chest pretty faithfully to Chris Schwarz's plans. It was built entirely by hand tools.I used 1×12” Radiata Pine from the BORG. It got four coats of Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co.'s Marigold Yellow, then a couple coats of Danish Oil.The interior got two coats of blonde shellac to make it easier to wipe down.Like many others who made chests like this, I used 6d fine finishing nails from Tremont Nail Co. and strap hinges from Lee Valley. The hinges and screws fastening them were soaked in EvapoRust to take the rust and Zinc-coating off, respectively.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2020

Bartop for kitchen

Bartop for kitchenNearing the end of a 2yr total house remodel and needed to get this built.Reused 125ish year old TnG pine that used to be interior wsll covering.Thought is share.Better pictures than resent posts, wife took pictures, she loves it.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2020

Stereo Stand

Stereo Stand The Man Cave has acquired many new stereo pieces: cassette deck, 8 track player, DVD player, turntable, power amplifier, pre-amp/tuner, reel-to-reel player and television.
It also acquired a teenage daughter who wanted a quiet place to listen to her music and watch her movies in peace.
The first stereo stand was a tall, repurposed, cheap bookcase; it served its purpose adequately until
I found a turntable. Turntables change ALL the rules.
A YouTuber had an idea for The Easy TV Stand. I pilfered this idea. My son designed it. My wife suggested using lumber because it was for The Man Cave.
It's in two sections. The middle shelf is made from two sheets of 3/4 plywood. **photos can't be reoriented to portrait. First two were taken differently.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Feb-2020

Wooden children's Crocs

Wooden children's CrocsHand carved children's Crocs. Basswood

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2020

Wooden Crocs

Wooden CrocsMens Size 11. Hand carved Crocs. Have been displayed in NYC and Berlin art galleries. Basswood

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2020

Wall Clock

Wall ClockI needed to fill the large space above my couch. I decided to make this clock which fills the space nicely.
The face is 12 inches square and made of Birdseye Maple. The arms are 44 inches long and made of Cherry.
The overall length is 68 inches and fits the space quite well. The arms have a epoxy inlay tinted dark red with mother of pearl. The dots on the face are also epoxy inlay tinted dark red without the pearl. It was a fun project to build and serves the purpose it is intended for!

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Feb-2020

Cedar French Rolling Pin

Cedar French Rolling PinThis time a French style rolling pin. Cedar from a neighbors yard where a tree was felled to make way for a bigger house. Finished with tung oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2020

New Workbench

New WorkbenchMy latest workbench made from pressure treated pine from the big box store.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Feb-2020

Comments:

A Half Bound Book using Baltic Birch and Dyed Veneer.

A Half Bound Book using Baltic Birch and Dyed Veneer.While I haven't posted projects since last summer, that does not mean my workshop has been idle. Bookbinding has made good use of my woodworking tools and experience, initially in making the jigs needed for making books and trimming the text blocks. This project made it into LJ by using Baltic birch instead of chip board and instead of full leather covers, leather and wood veneer in half bound format. The bookbinding presses shown in the previous project worked well as veneer presses. The two crafts really play well together! The longer story plus some more photos are here: https://smortegav.blogspot.com/2020/02/twenty-years-of-valentines-cards-made.html

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Feb-2020

simple yakisugi box

simple yakisugi boxThe cover made from shavings

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Feb-2020

Pine cutouts

Pine cutoutsWhen I first started my woodworking business in 1990 I started out small, cutting out hundreds of shapes for local crafters to adorn with decorative painting. Thirty years later and I still have a few loyal customers who occasionally order more of the same. Like this pile of 120 gingerbread cutouts and 10 shamrocks cut from sugar pine milled to 5/8” thick. My first scroll saw was used RBI Hawk that I picked up for $300. It got a lot of use and performed so well that I bought a new RBI a few years later. I sold the old one which was still running fairly well for $200. I've gotten more than my money's worth out of both and over the years they allowed me to cut out thousands of shapes .

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Feb-2020

Splated Maple Rolling Pin

Splated Maple Rolling PinFound a nice chunk of maple at the local plywood store. Really enjoyed this project and always wanted my own hand made rolling pin.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2020

Bread Box

Bread Boxwife wanted a place for bread potatoes onions .

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2020

Comments:

I found myself in need of a center finder...

I found myself in need of a center finder...So… I am contemplating my bench build. One of the things I'd like to do is build an end vise with a homemade wooden screw. There are circular blanks (for baseball bats) at my local Woodcraft, but I want to mount them on the lathe as centered as possible to decrease the amount of trueing up I need to do. Thus, a center finder. Scraps of mahogany for the sides, a walnut box top I had screwed up and put in the small bits bin for the 45 degree scribe. I was bored with the shape and started shaping the arm that became the head and body. That led to the wings being shaped. Note – I glued up the wings on the wrong side of the square… if you look the through dowels are much cleaner on the bottom. All hand tool build except the dowel holes…. my bit and brace doesn't hold drill bits tight. I really enjoyed using my rasps for the shaping. I needed a V-groove and a couple of other carving tools for the wings, but most of the work was with a rasp.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Feb-2020

Five More Pendants with Inlay

Five  More Pendants with InlayThese are the last 5 pendants I made that needed inlay. They are made from Osage orange, Pecan, Mesquite and 2 from Ironwood.The are finished with Danish Oil and then buffed and waxed.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2020

"Laminated" Jewelry Box

"Laminated" Jewelry BoxThis is another “reproduction” of an LJ project. The original by kdc68 is is here. I really think his idea of mixing the laminations with the box joints was pretty brilliant.My only innovation was to add some walnut splines into the mitered corners of the lid.Maple and walnut; finished with natural Danish Oil topped with some wipe on poly.Thanks to kdc68 for the inspiration. Will be following your work to see what to copy next!

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2020

Shawl Rings and Pins

Shawl Rings and PinsI started out making 2 ironwood hair pins and then I was shown some shawl rings and decided to make these sets for the March craft show.
The rings are also ironwood.They are finished with Danish Oil and then buffed and waxed.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Feb-2020

Greene & Greene Clock

Greene & Greene ClockI haven't posted anything in awhile so I thought I would post one of my latest builds. This one is in curly maple. Enjoy!

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Feb-2020

Wood Solution

Wood SolutionMy name is Gene and I'm a Lumberjock. That means I often find a way to solve problems with wood. Recently purchased an used drone (my new hobby) and noticed that the joysticks on the controller were exposed when storing the controller. Saw an plastic fixture online that was way over priced to protect the joysticks while in storage. My mind intermediately jumped to a solution made from a piece of scrap wood. Found a worm eaten piece of old cherry and made this item. Used BLO for finish. Not a piece of art but it is functional.
Let's start a LA chapter (Lumberjocks Anonymous)

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Feb-2020

DIY Back of Door Shelf

DIY Back of Door ShelfIt's always nice to have extra storage space to keep household items more organized. There is one little place that typically is not being utilized, which is behind the closet door. So I've built a DIY Back of Door Shelf Organizer for our pantry closet. This gives us more space to store additional items.This is a very simple project that took me an hour to do, and it could be customized to any door size you want. Our pantry door is smaller than a typical 36x80 door, so the plans I created were designed for a 20 wide door. If you're making a shelf for a different size door, you just have to leave about 1 clearance from the front to make sure the door closes without hitting the door jamb.
I used 14 boards for the entire project and installed the shelves far apart to fit 8 tall water bottles. A lot of times we buy a full case of water bottles and each case has 24 bottles. So this DIY back of door shelf fits 24 bottles perfectly.This pantry shelf project could also be customized to store different herbs and spices. Usually, herbs and spices come in smaller containers and in this case, instead of using 14, you could use 12 boards. Also, the horizontal shelf boards could be much closer together.You also might be interested in a DIY Offsetting Shelf I build earlier this year. To find the full plans visit TheDIYPlan.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Feb-2020

hidden storage

hidden storageOak and pine top with hidden magnetic lock.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2020

One Piece Wood Knife

One Piece Wood KnifeThis is carved from a single piece of basswood, including the pivot. It is 8” long overall. After carving the blade slot & shaping the blade to go in the slot, the difficult part is forming the pivot. Since it is cross-grain, it has to be kept fairly large and precisely aligned side-to-side, so I cut it with a #9-7mm gouge. Then I had to release it by carefully slicing along the sides of the blade with a thin knife (metal). The process convinced me to just use 1/8” dowel for all future wooden knives.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2020

My Barn Door Project

My Barn Door ProjectAfter a year of planning this project idea, I'm finally finished. One door is for our walk-in closet and other is for our bathroom.
Both doors are made from tongue and groove pine with common 1×4 and 1×6 boards as the front frame. Hardware was purchased on Amazon. Price for these were $43.00 per set. Compared to big box stores these were a steel.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Feb-2020

Drill press taable

Drill press taableThis something I've been wanting to build for some time. I've got a Porter Cable drill press and the table not the best for woodworking. I watched several YouTube videos and adapted them to my situation. That bolt in the table is in the only hole in it. It's a threaded hole and took a fine thread bolt. No big deal I just took the table with me to Ace Hardware. The only issue was they were trying to figure out how to ring up my drill press table as I went to pay for the bolt and nut. I recessed the nut into the plywood base from the top and it really holds the whole table down quite well.
One of the YouTube videos used a CNC to cut the recess for the circle insert and recess. I use my bandsaw circle cutting jig to make a template then a pattern cutting bit on my router. So far it's working out real well and one more project scratched off my to do list.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2020

high leg shelves

high leg shelvesMaybe i should remain the tenon next time.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Feb-2020

Challenge Coin Display

Challenge Coin DisplaySimple challange coin display made with Walnut, Ash, Oak, Maple and Paduak.Base is solid walnut and the uprights are made from maple and walnut in the shape of an octagon.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2020

Party Silverware Organizer

Party Silverware OrganizerBeing organized at parties is KEY to having happy guests? Why can't you do it in style? I had a challenge from a client to come up with something other than the tray-style organizers…..hold my beer! I like things a little curvy when it comes to custom designs so here's what I came up with.Its a 2-piece design…CNC cut (insert eye rolls by some). Some glue/clamping pressure and tada…an instant delight that is unique. 3 different slots, each with a 3” recess. To aid assembly I machined a 3/8” dowel hole on the inside of each part which keeps everything aligned. This prototype, seen in cherry, turned out rather nice.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2020

First mallet!

First mallet!Live oak for the head, oak dowels and black walnut handle finished with BLO. Live oak is not fun to work with but dang this thing weighs almost 10lbs

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Feb-2020

Boat bookcase

Boat bookcaseBookcase / storage unit I built for my new grandson's room. The date on the pictures is incorrect. I completed it about a year ago. Neglected to change the date after I changed the battery.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2020

Fret Sawing Jig

Fret Sawing JigSince I started making fretted instruments – dulcimers, ukes and banjos – the most often asked question in “how do you cut the slots for the frets?” It started by laying out frets with a 24” Vernier caliper from Harbor Freight and cutting them by hand with a fret saw. This worked but was time consuming so I upgraded to a circular fret saw from StewMac used with a crosscut sled. However, a template was still needed to improve accuracy and repeatability.
Templates and manufactured jigs are pricey, but pre-slotted fretboards of common wood such as maple are relatively inexpensive from StewMac or LMI and make great templates. The last part of the solution came from a workshop by Jason Romero who described using a thin piece of sheet metal as an “indexing” device. It took while to figure out a way to incorporate this into the crosscut sled. The addition is nothing more than a milled piece of fir with a .023” slot attached to the crosscut sled with Rockler fence clamps. A feeler guage fits the slot and can be easily lifted up and set down in the slotted template which is attached to the blank fret board with double sided tape.
I make most of my fretboards from Jatoba as well as Wenge and other relatively dense hardwoods. For information, the maple template was ripped in half for convenience and to have a spare.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2020

nightstand

nightstandsleep with cedar smell :D

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Feb-2020

Andy Klein's Twin Turbo Vise Build

Andy Klein's Twin Turbo Vise BuildHello LJ. I finally got the time to post this amazing vise project. I backed this project on Kickstarter and started building away upon receipt. If you don't know what this is, it is a 2-speed, gear-driven vise. Pulling the handle in the out position makes the vise travel in slow mode (typical vise speed) and pushing the handle in (engaging the inner gears) makes the vise travel in Fast mode. Here are some links below so you can get a better idea:
Introduction to the Vise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr2NDsk62MM&t=222s
Final Design Update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nMmGC7yew&list=PLBtl4Z2Fk7O2TYa3YVEFUWVsZTamg0Jv1&index=5
Here's his site to see what he has to offer: https://www.in-kleind.com/store/Let me know what you think!Alright, let's get to the build.Fresh package. You can smell the steel at this point. (That's the amazing cork rubber on top. This thing grips like no other)
Nicely packaged, although mine was one of the very first packaged that was later changed due to potential damage to the acrylic front.
Acrylic front with protective sheets on it.
At this point I had to buy some appropriately sized lumber for the chops. Went to both Rockler and Woodcraft and was able to buy some nice Padauk and Hard Maple at very reasonable prices (both were on sale so very nice). I wanted to do a 2-tone design and don't regret it one bit.Resawed hard maple. Honestly didn't think my PC bandsaw with a riser block would do this well, but it did and I was very happy with it.
Laying out where I need to cut so the steel plate will fit nicely.
Made the cut on the Padauk and glued it to the maple. (obviously after milling, planing, sanding to size).
Testing the fit of the steel plate, marking out the holes for the tube, and marking the tap and recess holes
Everything drilled, tapped, and recessed. The 2 holes to either side of the center hole are not as deep as it should have been. Andy's original video said 3/4”, but it should be 7/8”. Most of us found out the hard way, but all new builders should be in the clear now.
Endgrain profile look. (It'll look very blended once you see the end result)
Time for some hardware assembly.
Gears assembled. Looking beautiful already.
Used a brass wheel cup to “clean” the steel plate. Pattern looks great.
Put polycrylic on the steel to prevent rust after using the cup wheel.
Initial gear install per Andy's instructions.
My bench is pretty thin at 2-1/2” and made with pine, so I used my old chops (Oak) since it'll take more of a beating that Pine ever will.
Setting up the guide blocks. My slab of oak was off the bench, so this was easy to do.
Using clamps to make sure the blocks were flush.
Oak piece installed with the guide block and the steel plate waiting patiently for the install.
Setting up the screw guide. The hard maple you see here has been planed to make my bench 4” thick in total. My bench is only 2-1/2” thick so I need to increase it to meet the vise requirements. Once again, this helps me lay out the guide block here on top of the bench instead of under.
Guide blocks installed and bench thickness is now 4”. Perfect for the vise.
Time for gears and acrylic install. Looks fantastic.
Just a few of the back of the steel plate
Now, the chops design calls for the acrylic to lay on top of the chops, but I modified it in that I wanted the acrylic recessed. I adjusted the thickness of both the Maple and Padauk to match so the Acrylic will lay flat with the steel plate being completely flat as well with no pressure on either. What you see here is the only setup I had on-hand to rabbet a 1/8” recess. It is a dremel in a Craftsman plunge base using a tiny rabbet bit. I was shocked this worked so well as you will see.
What a mess. PRO TIP: Vacuum Padauk. NEVER try to wipe this off of any surface as it will just bleed in. I've had previous experience with bleed ins and it's not pretty.
Nice looking rabbet considering what I was using.
Mostly cleaned up. Looks great so far.
Awwww yeah. Perfect test fit.
Hardware-complete vise installed to test fit. I didn't take any photos, but I trimmed, planed, sanded, and rounded the edges of chop after this test fit.
Bottom view of the completed hardware install
Taped off the center and the back to put a finish on it. I taped it off because I was unsure how much thickess it would add due to the acrylic being recessed. It was already perfect, so I didn't want any kind of film increasing it (probably over analysed it, but oh well).
Close up of the finish. Love it.
Close up of the finished install.
Vise is now complete. Love this thing.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2020

SMALLEST of 3 on a DIME

SMALLEST of 3 on a DIMELast month a wood turning facebook site had another challenge project to make a miniature version of a larger project that could only be up to 1 1/2 inches high, As you remember I got first place with my Spaceship bowl for the November challenge. I thought I had this one in the bag. A goblet with a lid and a finial, just to be more confident I would make a captive ring on both top and bottom. The practice one was out of a birch scrap to see if I could do it.Then to make a more presentable project I tried several real had woods but was not successful cutting the rings, to brittle. ended up using black walnut and it worked quite well. The next one was smaller than the first, then since I still had some wood left on the blank I tried a real small one. The tool to make the captive ring is made on the end of the tang of a chainsaw file also pictured.The top and bottom where made separate to fit perfectly, and I was proud that I was able to lathe a hollow on the lid.To do this I had to lathe the top backwards, lid, captive rings, and finial lastI was rather proud of my project, had never attempted to do something like this. An enjoyable challenge.But as they say PRIDE GOETH BEFORE FALL. I didn't get any placement. I do know you people will give me thumbs up anyway, this is where I find the real reward.So other than that been restoring a trail motor bike That had been scraped up a number of times, got it going Thursday and road around the yard on the ice and snow. Be ready for the mountain trails this summer.Project now is helping a fiend build a wood lathe,Thanks for looking and Comments appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2020

Tissue Boxes with Heart Inlay's

Tissue Boxes  with Heart Inlay'sTwo soft pine tissue boxes with Walnut inlay and Walnut splines. One box is a birthday gift for a friend.I cut a small piece of 1/8” plastic a wee bit wider than the with of the opening at the bottom of the box and press it in to keep the tissue box in place.
Thanks for looking!.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Feb-2020

Molding Plane - warped to useful

Molding Plane - warped to usefulI received this beading plane as part of a package deal, it came with the wedge and iron, but it had no boxing and was unusable in it's condition. As I have quite a few good beading planes, I decided to experiment with it and figured I had nothing to loose.This was my first experience with steam bending, and I wasn't concerned with an adverse outcome should I somehow destroy the tool.Picture 1 shows the final outcome, a viable beading plane that will be a “user”, but more importantly I've determined I can save a few other planes in the same condition – warped.The other pictures show: how warped it looked from the heal, how warped the maple boxing I made contoured to the plane, how warped the body is compared to a ruler, my “steam box”, and the clamp-up after steaming.My steam machine was a roaster set to 450 Degrees, I left the “soup” to boil for an hour and a half, with the plane setting on a wire rack to keep it out of the water. The wire rack was a dollar store napkin holder:
The clamp up was between two 2X4's, with plastic card shims to over bend and help avoid what is referred to as spring back when the clamps are removed. I let it cool for 24 hours just to play safe. The shims are the leftover gift cards, old AAA member cards, AARP cards received in the junk mail, etc.
Final result, a useful plane with nice straight boxing.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2020

Bike & Scooter Rack For The Kids

Bike & Scooter Rack For The KidsMy garage was slowly being overtaken by bikes and scooters, and I decided to do something about it. I tried to come up with a design that would be easy to produce as well as produce a bike/scooter rack that would be easy for my kids to use. Using 2×8s and 1×8s, I created this kids scooter and bike rack which can accomodate the variety of vehicles in my garage. It's all held together with wood glue and brad nails. The strategically-placed miters help with slide bike and scooters into the rack. Check out the video to see how it all came together. Let me know know you think. And if you want step-by-step instructions to make your own, get them here: http://bit.ly/2S40WWk

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2020

GrandKids game table

GrandKids game tableI made this table for my grandkids for Christmas. The top has a chess/checker board on one side and Lego plates on the other. 4 drawers for storage and the chess/checker board top is epoxy coated for durability. The wood used is Cherry and Walnut for the table and drawer fronts. The chess/checker board is Padauk and Walnut with a Purple Heart border. The table is ~32” square and 24” high.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Feb-2020

TV Stand

TV StandTelevision stand for my daughter. Made from white oak and finished with polycrylic. She wanted a clear finish. Stand measures 60×24 x 30. Legs have dados on the back side with holes for dowels. So the lower and middle shelf have 2 dowels at the point of connection to each leg and sit in the dado as well. Top has a slight chamfer. She asked me to add the x brace on the side to match a bookcase she had. Fits a nice big tv, components, and some storage baskets. Thanks

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2020

Oval Serving Tray

Oval Serving TrayOval serving tray from maple with a cherry center. Used the three nail and string technique to shape the board then a jig saw and a lot of sanding. Added a few rubber feet, cutting board oil and wax.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2020

Toy Semi Truck and Toy Cars

Toy Semi Truck and Toy CarsToy semi trailer made for my nephew's 2nd birthday. Truck was made primary of ash. The stripe and wheels are sapele. The box top lifts off so he can place toys or other objects inside. I do not have a cnc so the Woodcraft Store in Buffalo Grove assisted for a small fee. They were very helpful. The cars are left over ash, with some small bits of purpleheart for accents. I created a template with some plywood and used that to shape the ash. Wheels were store bought on the cars.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Feb-2020

combine of remainder

combine of remainderI have so many beech remainder, that i have to handle them.In order to consume them, i use them to practice kanawa tsugi for a long time.lucky, i just get some cheap hinoki and mahogany shortly before.All i need to do is combine them simply.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2020

Violin Scraper Caddy

Violin Scraper CaddyA while ago I made a set of violin maker's scrapers from a dollar store saw blade. They have been sitting in the tray from a package of Fig Newtons on my work table. I occasionally use them as I need to clean up areas on the violins and cellos that I repair.A few days ago I decided to make a little caddy to hold them upright for easier access. Formerly I would dig through the tray looking for the one I wanted.I made it very simply with a hunk of scrap 3/4 pine. I used the table saw to make the kerfs in it about 1/2 inch deep. Then I simply wrapped it by glueing on a piece of thin 2/4 strip that I kept.I finished it with boiled linseed oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2020

Rattle Jerkbait

Rattle JerkbaitOkay, it seems that all I'm posting now is fishing lures. This one I really like though. I think it came out so 'pretty'. I hope the fish think so too. Things that are new for me:

• I upped my difficulty with the paint scheme
  • There is a ball bearing in the lure causing it to rattle when it's retrieved
  • I made my own eyes. In fact I made everything about the lure
  • It's got two dimes, yes coins, embedded in the build… You'll have to watch the video to find out why
The video of the build is here.....

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Feb-2020

We2 jeep

We2 jeepIt has been a long time between projects. Used a lot of scrap to do this. Comments to help me get better at woodworking.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2020

assemblable long shoe stool

assemblable long shoe stoolsome agathis & red meranti

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2020

First lathe project

First lathe project I got a lathe in 2019 and tried making a goblet. It is only for show. Comments welcomed

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Feb-2020

Box Joint Jig

Box Joint JigThis is my version of the box joint jig.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2020

Segmented ?? Platter

Segmented ?? PlatterI saw some beautiful work done by Alex Amoruso and decided to try one. Thank you Alex for the inspiration. After I finished the cutting of the pieces I realised that it was not going to look anything like Alex's work. BUT here it is for anyone to look at. Now I realise where I went so wrong, but all the time not intending to make a direct copy.The timbers are Jarrah, Meranti and Yellow Walnut, the finish is Feast Watson Kitchen Timber Oil and then buffed. The Platter is 13 inches in dia. and less than 3/4 thick.C & C welcome and thank you for looking.Bob

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2020

Beer Hogs

Beer HogsThese have a secret; They are beer HOGS!Size is about 5/8 inch wide. 2-3/4 tall and 4-3/4 long. Design by T & E designs.They look like an ordinary shelf hog. However with the right angle; they will open your favorite bottled brew. Think upside down.Finish is walnut oil, food grade. I am very poor at wood identification, so “pallet wood” is going to have to do. They are a quite hard wood and will open many bottles before ear failure occurs.If someone can identify the wood species, I will appreciate the answer.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Feb-2020

Sweet Sixteen Staved Bombe Box

Sweet Sixteen Staved Bombe BoxBox number 23 in my recent box series. This is number 9 in my Adventures into Shape.This box is built from pine, cedar and poplar. It is the 2nd build with 16 mitered and glued staves. It has dowels that secure each stave to the top and bottom rims. This box is shorter and stouter than the last one and the outer curvatures flair out a bit more as the original dimensions on these staves are thicker.I used machines to mill the wood and to cut the angles and dimensions and used chisels and gouges to carve the basic form along with hand saws, rasps and angle grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel. There was a lot of hand sanding on this piece. One new set of tools that I used were 2 inch and 3 inch turners foam backed sanding discs on inch mandrels. I used a Japanese Shinto rasp extensively also. The main form has dowel inlay/inclusions along the widest part of the body.The feet were especially fun to shape. I wasn't entirely sure about some features on them but they ended up with knees, calves and feet so I am pretty happy with them. The handle was also fun to make.The jewelry box has two removable trays. They are felt lined and they are also pinned with dowels to re-enforce the miters.Dimensions are as follows…
Outside dimensions of the Sweet Sixteen Staved Bombe Box are 16 at the widest, 11 deep and 15 tall.
The two jewelry trays are around 2 1/2 deep so the interior is about 5 1/2 inches deep.There are two compartments, one the bottom of the box and another one on the bottom of the lid. Both compartments are not so secret as they are easily seen. Both have twist caps that fit into the large diameter holes and there are also magnets to assist with aligning them in the locked position. The lid is heavy but not as heavy as you may think because the compartment is quite large. I felt like the last box had a large lid that wasn't utilized well for a compartment and this is the result.Finish is an oil based fruitwood stain and a wipe on mixture of oil based poly and mineral spirits. I used Trewax brand paste wax for the matte sheen that it can be buffed out to reveal.This one took a little longer than the last one but I took a week off due to the flu and another week I spent building shelves, building jigs, reorganizing my shop and doing other little upgrades to my shop.
and a pic for comparison of the last box which was also a 16 staved box.
New Year's Bombe Jewelry Box
I like to build a couple of variations of an idea or design.Thanks for looking.
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Jon

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2020

Comments:

Bust of my dad carved from a reclaimed railroad tie

Bust of my dad carved from a reclaimed railroad tieI sculpted the bust digitally, then used homemade cnc machines and a rotary tool to carve it. Not a good idea to use creosote laden railroad ties, so I stopped using them since making this.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2020

Bore Finishing Tool

Bore Finishing ToolThis is a little scraping tool I made for an upcoming job where i need to hold the bore within a few thousandths. it is like a double edged skew with a negative rake edge for scraping. The steel is a piece of 1095 steel that I cut to shape with a cut off wheel and had it hardened by our local blacksmith,Chuck. I made the handle out of osage orange and it is finished with clear lacquer.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Feb-2020

New Bench

New BenchJust finished stuffing all the drawers, made from Maple and Poplar.

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Feb-2020

Piano Board end grain x 2

Piano Board end grain x 2This is my second project doing the piano board with keys and changed a few methods. I used maple and walnut strips per JL7 (Jeff) plans. One thing I changed was using 1/16 veneer strips for the key walnut spacers which made the key makeup a little easier. (See last picture) Each board is slightly under 12 in width and about 16 in length, I kept the thickness little over an 1 so they have the cutting block feel. I still haven't perfected the perfect key glue up as some slipped on me but most are lined up ok.I am keeping one of these as the last project was given away to a piano player. I'm glad some projects get to stay at home :)Thanks again to JL7 (Jeff)https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/98256

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Feb-2020

Comments:

FANCY DANCIN' BOOTS! Decorated by Olivia!

FANCY DANCIN' BOOTS! Decorated by Olivia!Just wanted to brag about this pair as I challenged my granddaughter to do a paint job.
Simply put – She did an awesome job! Thank you very much Olivia!She did the project with a lot of love for Grandpa. Looking at the first picture, you will see a large
heart connecting the heels. Wow!!!!Enjoy!The Bootman!

posted at: 12:02am on 02-Feb-2020

Marine flag wall hanging

Marine flag wall hanging I made this for a former marine that I used to work with.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Feb-2020

Morningside Grandmother Clock

Morningside Grandmother ClockA Dan Wilckens design from 2003. 107 hour build time, 187 pieces, 1048 interior cuts. Cut from 3/4” pine, birch plywood and walnut and 1/4” walnut and ash. I started this project on 11/13/2019 and finished up on 1/30/2020. I would highly recommend patterns from Wilckens Woodworking (wilckenswoodworking.net) I usually build one large piece in the winter, and this was most enjoyable. Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Feb-2020