To test my recently built bowl lathe, I performed this project using a black locus endgrain slab. Due to the unbalance, the heavy lathe of about 1,700 pounds shook mildly even at ~700 rpm (my guess, no rpm reader equipped). After turning the concentric circles, two circles were cut into segments using a router lathe (last pic). Black lines on the other circles were made by grinder wheel. A reptile eye was imbedded at the center to symbolize the Sauron's eye located in side the castle walls. This slab had small decorative burls at the outer rim.
This is my first lathe project with a curved profile and also my first deep bore.I used a chunk of cherry from my firewood pile that had dried in the basement for nine months.You'll notice that this is actually a metal turning lathe, Which I have modified with two different tool rests for hand turning.I used a pill bottle to create a watertight interior, and I filled the tenon on the bottom with a short stack of quarters epoxied in place for additional ballast.The finish is simply Cherry tinted Watco call Danish oil With a couple coats of satin lacquer. I did get some fish eye in the lacquer but was able to remove it with fine steel wool.I was pleased enough with the final product to give it to Mrs. Mainiac as an anniversary gift, Who seems to be pleased with it.