The Woodshop Shed

adventures in woodworking and home maintenance, from my shop in an oversized backyard shed

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
       


Another Mesquite Bowl

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Another Mesquite BowlI found this chunk of mesquite laying around at the sawmill and snagged it from my buddy. He said it had been there for quite a few years. It was hard as a rock! This is the second largest bowl I have ever carved. It's about 17 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 10 inches tall. Once again, who would have thought that such beauty was inside an old gray stump.This one was a little difficult to figure out where I was going with it at first. I listened to it for quite some time, and it didn't say a dang thing, so I just tore into it. Turned out pretty cool I think.



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2019
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



Kid's Room Shelves

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Kid's Room ShelvesI finally completed my first big furniture project. My daughter wanted me to make her some shelves for her room when she moved into it, and I did. The design was largely custom to what she wanted. It's all pine (her request) from Home Depot. It has shelves for books and other stuff, and a bin at the bottom for plush toys. Thanks to grimejr for the idea for the bin .It took me 10 months to build these thanks to two main factors. First, I got busy with other stuff. Secondly, I was learning a lot of new things along the way, which meant I'd often have to spend time trying stuff out on test pieces, building jigs, purchasing new tools and learning to use them, etc. I also ended up using lots of different techniques along the way as I learned how not to do things.I made the shelf panels first. They are glue-ups of 1×4's from Home Depot. I had no jointer or planer, so I made a jig to joint their edges on the table saw. This made the glue joints nice and tight, but of course did not help at all with the faces. So, I used a belt sander to flatten them out. This, of course, did not work well, but I got them somewhat flat after a huge amount of work. After a couple shelves this way, I broke down and bought a jointer and a planer. The other shelves went much better, though there was still a lot of sanding to remove all the glue residue.After struggling to make shelf panels, I decided to use plywood for the other large surfaces. I cut edge banding from 1×4's and glued it on. I did end up doing another glue up for the angled pieces on the side of the bin, but that was only 12 wide so I could put it through my planer to flatten it out.The trim around the sides was actually made from 2×6's. I trimmed off the rounded edges, jointed and planed them, then cut them into 1.5 x 1.5 pieces. I cut a 3/4 x 3/4 notch out of them, mitered the ends, and put them over the edges of the plywood on the sides. It was a very cheap way to make the trim, and actually looks pretty decent.I used strap hinges to attach the bin door, pocket screws to attach the bin door sides, and brads in a couple of hidden locations, but otherwise everything is just glued together.I sealed it with Zinsser SealCoat, then finished with General Finishes High Performance. I applied both of these with a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun hooked up to my little compressor. I build myself a large cardboard backdrop with 2×4 frame to avoid getting overspray all over my garage. It was my first time spraying finish, and I loved it. It went on very easily and quickly.I made one extra addition after the shelves were put in place. Once she stuffed all her stuffed animals in the bottom bin, the bin would always fall open. So, I made a little latch out of scrap, finished it the same as the shelves, and attached it with a brass screw. So, now she can latch it closed.



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2019
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



Skateboard and New Zealand rimu pendant with black tourmaline three-dot inlay

Furnished content.
(from Lumberjocks.com)


Skateboard and New Zealand rimu pendant with black tourmaline three-dot inlayFinally started using some of the small bits that gets put aside from other projects.



Read more here

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Aug-2019
path: /Woodworking | permalink | edit (requires password)

Comments:
0 comments, click here to add the first



August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
       


Promoted by Feed Shark





RSS (site)  RSS (path)

ATOM (site)  ATOM (path)

Categories
 - blog home

 - Announcements  (0)
 - Annoyances  (0)
 - For_Sale  (0)
 - Home_and_Garden  (0)
 - Humor  (0)
 - Industry_News  (1341)
 - Massachusetts_USA  (0)
     - Swansea  (0)
 - Notices  (0)
 - Observations  (0)
 - Oddities  (0)
 - Reading  (0)
     - Books  (0)
     - Ebooks  (0)
     - Magazines  (0)
     - Online_Articles  (0)
 - Reviews  (0)
 - Rhode_Island_USA  (0)
     - Providence  (0)
 - Shop  (0)
 - Shop_Improvements  (2)
 - Woodworking  (2937)
     - Projects  (1)
     - Resources  (3)
     - Techniques  (179)
     - Tips  (0)
     - Videos  (7)


Archives
 -2019  August  (69)
 -2019  July  (94)
 -2019  June  (89)
 -2019  May  (97)
 -2019  April  (89)
 -2019  March  (100)
 -2019  February  (93)
 -2019  January  (88)
 -2018  December  (28)
 -2018  November  (36)
 -2018  October  (75)
 -2018  September  (30)


My Sites

 - Millennium3Publishing.com

 - SponsorWorks.net

 - ListBug.com

 - TextEx.net

 - FindAdsHere.com

 - VisitLater.com