Having moved we now have two decks, one in the front and one in the back of the house so I was ordered to create another set of chairs for the back of the house. I elected to go with folding Adirondack chairs because I wanted to be able to move them out of the weather and store in the winter. After looking at a number of chair designs I chose the design from The Barley Harvest. They have some nice plans that are pretty easy to follow. And they give you full size plans that I mounted on 1/8” hardboard and made templates to trace. They also have a number of matching pieces like foot rests and a table. I liked the curved backs on these chairs. Flat ones get uncomfortable rather quickly. Also the nice addition of making UHMW plastic washers between the moving parts and using plastic tubing in the holes of the pivots so the holes don't wear out and the chair becomes loose. You sit pretty deep into this chair but once in it is very comfortable. Nice wide arms to hold a sparkling malt beverage. Pretty sturdy but if I were to use on the lawn or sand beach I would probably drill a hole in the back support and back part of the leg and put a carriage bolt with a wing nut to hold in place. Easy enough to fold up and unfold. Just grab the top of the back and push forward. The whole thing lays flat. To unfold just the opposite, while laying on the ground grab the top of the back and pull back. Make sure the back support is all the way to the rear and it's as sturdy as any other chair.All pieces are western red cedar. The pieces are glued with gorilla glue non foaming clear and screwed with coated deck screws. I also bored and plugged all the holes for a better look. Used my CNC to put our name on the front so they will be a bit less likely to walk away some night and a message on the inside for the next owner. Kind of like a software Easter egg. Finished off with 3 coats of BLO.
I haven't posted anything in a while. It's not that I haven't been busy, just hasn't been woodworking projects suitable for project posting. I've been spending a lot of time bringing my new 1984 sailboat up to my standards and most of it has been either non-woodworking or boring woodworking. Anyway I hate drop boards when I'm out sailing and much prefer doors so I made these to suit the boat and compliment the cockpit grate I did last summer. They are solid Teak which means only slightly more valuable than solid gold but since I've ruined it by making them fit only my boat, I think I'm pretty safe leaving them in sight. :-)