This is my version of a project I saw on Reddit. I've made a couple of changes to the original: I wanted a bigger top to sit on the legs, I used a rabbet to hold the bottom rather than cleats, and a couple other minor things.This is my 3rd woodworking project since woodshop in high school some 40 years ago so it was a bit beyond my skillset. I've learned so much building this including making 4 inch through-tenons and resawing and book-matching panels. Pictures of the build process can be found here.
This is a toy I made for our great granddaughter for when she gets a little older. Kids like toys that move and make a lot of noise and this does both. I will put her picture on both sides of the block before I give it to her. It is 30” tall and had 11 rungs. It should have been 12 so the bock winds up in the same position as when it was started but she won't know that. I added a plan for it with dimensions and made it a 12 rung ladder and 33” tall.The ladder is made from maple with walnut cap on the outside. It has 11 – 1/2” dowels in it and they were machined on the router table to 1/4” thick . The block is box elder and you have to tweak it a bit to get it tumble and not stop. I added a 7/16” x 3/8” long piece of brass on one side to mover the center of gravity of the block to keep it moving Here is a video of it working. https://youtu.be/ClJQIKPsjloThe following process shots were taken when I had the camera in the shop: cheers, Jim
Son-in law asked me to make a toy box within a few days of my great grand kids birthday. So I set my other projects aside to make this. Used up extra materials I had on hand (didn't have to go out and buy anything for this toy box). 4×4 pine cut to 3×3 rails & stiles, A red oak chest lid I was saving for another project, 3/4” red oak plywood panels to save time (for sides, back and front) and hickory legs. With the three lid supports, the lid can be 1” open to fully open and it will remain open till you push it closed. I surprised myself by having this done in 3 days, including using a waterbased stain on the panels and 3 coats of waterbased poly inside & out. I myself don't like using plywood, but it was the only way to save time to get this done in 3 days.