Been awhile since I've posted, but here we go. I've spent a lot of hours this week working on my largest ever (86 pieces) segmented salad bowl. Walnut and cherry. It's 14.25×6.25. I did use for the first time the ”miterset” jig to cut all my segments and it worked great. My new Jet 16/32 drum sander was great for getting the rings nice and flat. Almost done just hoping I can use my vacuum Chuck so I can finish the bottom. What I found interesting was the color variations in the walnut, considering I cut it all from the same slab. First mistake I made – when I created the glue block with a tenon my tenon was much too small to handle a bowl this large. I sort of anticipated this and had already turned a new larger tenon in the bottom, it did snap off sending the 1/2 finished bowl to the floor. Once I got it re-chucked on the larger tenon I was able to continue but did have to redo the outside to remove some dents and scratches. I used General Finishes Salad Bowl finish, 3 coats with 600 grit sanding in between. This will be a food safe finish in about 30 days once completely dry. Quite happy with the end result.
After posting my Chess Board, Wayne suggested some turnings so here they are. The whole set was put together as a set for my son. Cocobolo chess box with curley maple highlights. Inside the box, turned curley maple and claro walnut pieces with 24K gold highlights and bases.