December 2019

Spalted Red Maple Bowls

Spalted Red Maple BowlsA few Spalted Red Maple Bowls from a tree I harvested out of my parent's backyard. They aren't cored nesting bows, but cut in line on the tree giving the nesting ability. Rough dimesons are 6 and 5 . Finish is satin water based polyurethane.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2019

Nesting Chair

Nesting ChairJust as I was starting to plan on building some outdoor chairs Jay Bates released his plans for this nesting chair, which was a perfect fit for my needs. After purchasing the chair template, I followed Jays plans for the most part with the main difference being the use of trim head screws, instead of flat head like Jay used. The wood is from old treated pine 1X6 that I had previously used in a privacy fence. The set slates had to be milled to 5/8 thickness to be flat, but the chair legs are thick. The chair is finished with boiled linseed oil.Over all the chair is comfy and light weight, storing away neatly. I would highly recommend his template and plans. Here is a link to his web site if you're interested: Jay Bates Nesting ChairThanks for stopping by,Matthew Stillwell

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2019

Magazine Storage Box

Magazine Storage BoxI wanted to create this Magazine Storage Box to house my Grandfathers old woodworking magazine collection. The box is made of Utile hardwood and Mahogany plywood. The plywood edge received a coat of dark stain and the was then finished with satin water based polyurethane. Rubber feet were added to the bottom to prevent scratching. Now I just need a few more for the rest of the collection lol.Thanks for stopping by,Matthew Stillwell

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Dec-2019

Long Overdue Watch Box

Long Overdue Watch BoxGreetings fellow LJ friends. It's been awhile since I have last posted anything. Back issues/surgeries have kept me out of the shop, however I pushed through ongoing issues and prevailed. I have a buddy that is more of a brother than buddy. He asked me quite awhile ago if I could make hime a watch-box and this is what I built for him for his birthday. I cannot the credit for the box design, I used The Wood Whisperer's knife box as the inspiration, changed the dimensions and added the cubbies. I used Bubinga because of its beautiful color and grains and walnut as accents. Brusso hinges and a mortise and tenon type lock from Woodcraft.Yes, you may notice a missing screw head in the right hinge, I snapped it off (hate tightening brass screws) and need to go get a screw extractor to fix my mistake. I wanted to post this before surgery tomorrow but will get the repair done. Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Dec-2019

How To Make A Handsaw Caddy

How To Make A Handsaw CaddyIt's been quite a while since I've been able to post anything on here. It's good to be back.This is a shop project that's been a long time coming. I wanted all of my handsaws to be in one place so I made this handsaw caddy. I based the design on some plans I downloaded from somewhere. I'm sure they're easy enough to find online.The material is just some cut-offs that I scrounged from a construction site. I want people to know that they don't have to spend a lot of money on materials and equipment to make things. They can use whatever material they can come up with and just some basic tools.Check out the video of how I made it on my new You Tube channel Just Throwin' It Together This is the channel that I will be using to post my “How to” videos. Be sure to like and subscribe.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Dec-2019

Pergola

PergolaClient's daughter was getting married and he wanted a 10×12 pergola for the reception, then his wife got involved. It grew to 16×22, LED dimmable lighting, 2 ceiling fans, outdoor TV, roll up sun shades, wifi, stereo, new handrails with LED dimmable lighting. All the LED, TV, stereo and fans are controlled via house wifi. Pergola is made from engineered 6×6, hand picked #1 prime pine, architectural accents by Ozco. Each post is anchored to a reinforced concrete pilar with stone veneer. I took the rafter tails from the cloud lift at the Thorsen house. Now he wants a mini version over the hot tube in the foreground…......

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2019

Toboggan from years past

Toboggan from years past24 years ago, on a weekend away from my new career as an air traffic controller, I purchased an inexpensive Craftsman 10 contractors saw. I made a couple of finger boards out of scrap 2×4. I found a local lumberyard and bought some 8/4 ash. Using the saw and finger boards to hold the ash to the fence and table I ripped off 16 7/16 thick 10' strips. Using a belt sander, I rounded the sides of each strip and removed the saw marks.I capped off a 3' section of old 4 PVC and filled it with hot water and fabric softener. Soaking the ash strips for about an hour, I bent them in a jig make of scrap 3/4 ply and 1 dowels tying each tip back to hold the curve while they dried. 12 survived.The next day I stained a few and began assembling the toboggan with scraps of oak as cleats. Countersinking brass screw into the ash from underneath and securing each runner to the oak. Some brass eye screws and chain to hold the curve nose. 3 coats of poly. I sewed the cushion filling it with an old closed cell sleeping pad.Over then next 10 years my kids and I wore out the ol' toboggan sliding many miles in the snow. I think of this as my first real woodworking project but then recall cutting up an old waterbed with a handsaw to make a bookcase. Building a truck bed insert out of plywood and old carpet. Probably others. Somewhere along the way I stumbled into enough skills to make my kids happy with a toboggan. No, I'm not a woodworker, but I can glue together some scrap and occasionally have a good time.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2019

Comments:

Custom room w arts/crafts style furniture

Custom room w arts/crafts style furnitureClient started out wanting water damage in a wall repaired. Project morphed into LVP floor with radiant in floor heat. Trimmed entire room in 1/4sawn red oak. Removed old patio door and trimmed in 1/4sawn red oak with ashe threshold. He then wanted furniture for the room and this is the result. Wood is 1/4sawn red oak. Tables are a/c trestle style. Chairs are sized to room and table and made from 1/4sawn red oak. Not pictured is a matching desk. Table tops were book matched with dutchman inlays. Corner bench is also a cedar lined storage unit. Inside the corner where storage can be problematic to get to is a control unit for LED cove lighting going around the ceiling controlable via wifi. Also installed custom crown, again, 1/4sawn red oak.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Dec-2019

Coasters and Holders

Coasters and HoldersThought I would take some of my scrap shop wood and do something with it. I made a form out of some 1/2 plywood where I could make up to eight coasters at a time. I cut some dark walnut and made the holder and put a piece of walnut in each coaster, all different.
I finished the holder with lacquer.
Enjoy

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2019

Story Book Box

Story Book BoxI told my wife, Luann, I wanted to make a box that looked like a book. She jumped on that idea and we came up with a story that we wanted. I told Luann I had enough room for seven pairs of pages in the book. She chose what she wanted on each pair and did the artwork. She also wrote out the songs, but just imported the scriptures. She was afraid that she would make too many mistakes and have to start over too often. When some others saw what I was working on they wanted one too. I ended up making thirteen of them. We decided that we would give this book to her dad who is a retired pastor. Only two were gifts, the others were sold. The boxes were fairly simple to make, but the pages took a half hour to laser each one. I think that I had twice the time with the laser than I had in building.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2019

Comments:

Lamp made from floor drain cover and reclaimed hardwood

Lamp made from floor drain cover and reclaimed hardwoodWhile Buying materials for my studio at the local hardware store, the cast iron floor drain cover came to my attention. I was attracted to the vertical slots of the drain. I feel that there is something that can be done with them and the wood. Well here it is. I design and build a lamp out of them. The legs are from 10mm round brass, and i used led light. Finished in oil. Hope you like it.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Dec-2019

Dust Collection for the Miter Station

Dust Collection for the Miter StationA few months back, I built a simple modular 2×4 miter saw station. I finally got around to adding much needed dust collection.First, I made a dust hood with sliding adjustable doors which makes it easy to open up for mitered cuts, and second, I added a dust cyclone to my shop vac on an automated switch.I tested the air quality every step of the way to see how effective each of the components was, and what an improvement! Can't believe I waited this long to make this upgrade.You can watch the build video HERE.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2019

Basket Illusion Gift Box

Basket Illusion Gift BoxI made this for a gift exchange at my wood turning club. Made from cherry. Approx. 7” x 5”. Colored with India ink markers: blue and black. Sprayed with a matte finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2019

Another Firewood Box

Another Firewood BoxAt least it's made from firewood. Good ol' Texas old growth mesquite. Approx. 18” x 12” x 10” with a lift out tray.Custom order from a couple I met at a recent craft fair. The only ones who have ever made good on their “I'll get back with you.” promise.Just a simple sewing box for their soon-to-be daughter-in-law who recently got her Masters in Mechanical Engineering (hence the cog wheels).May end up with more orders if they like this one enough.Comments and critiques welcomed as always. Thanx for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Dec-2019

Custom yo yo

Custom yo yoI decided to try my hand at making a yo yo for my nephew, who back in is youth loved his yo yo. I came up with this custom French Goat Toys yo yo.It is made with some cherry I had sitting around and stained with his favorite color.And best of all, it actually works.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Dec-2019

Breakfast Table

Breakfast TableThis small sturdy Breakfast Table is a great option for a dining/breakfast area. A place where you can create memories with your family, while enjoying a nice meal. I built this table using just 2×6s and 4×4s costing me about $70 of material. Farmhouse furniture is so in style right now, and you can build your own for a great price. Also, another plus to DIY is you can stain or paint it whatever color you like. Enjoy building. Find the free plans at TheDIYPlan.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Dec-2019

Atomic Bombe Jewelry Box

Atomic Bombe Jewelry BoxBox number 21 in my recent box series. This is number 7 in my Adventures into Shape.This box is built from pine and poplar and the splines and beads are mesquite and pine. There are also walnut and cedar in the feet, the lid and the pull.I used machines to mill the wood and to cut the angles and dimensions and used chisels and gouges to carve the basic form. Hand sanded most of the form and tried a die grinder with 3m roloc 1 inch discs. The bands of the poplar on this box run horizontally along the bottom of the triangular form. These were carved away to reveal the exaggerated rounded bottom of the main piece.The jewelry box core has a pull that makes it easy to lift out of the larger box This five tray felt lined box has a brass rod axle which allows each tray to swivel open. There are magnets also embedded in the walls of the trays that keep the different trays aligned.
Dimensions are as follows…
Outside dimensions of the Atomic Bombe are 11 at the widest on each side x 17 1/2 tall.
The inner core ring tray box is 4 on each side x 8 tall and each tray is 1 deep.During the build I wanted the bottom of the box to extend lower than it actually was so I added some more wood and created a secret compartment on the bottom. The box must be emptied and then flipped over to access the compartment. The bottom lid swivels on a brass screw and has two rare earth magnets that help keep it closed in the right position.

Finish is an oil based fruitwood stain and a wipe on mixture of oil based poly and mineral spirits. Followed with Johnson's Paste Wax. I skipped using shellac on this one and the overall finish is a little clearer and more of a satin sheen.I felt like this box was very similar to the last one Rocket Bombe Ring Box but I wanted to post a couple of pics of both for comparison.
The inner tray box on this one is much larger and the actual curvature of the outer box is much more extreme. I seem to do a couple of versions of each of the last few boxes with some changes. They are definitely related and they also have some major differences.Any thoughts on the actual finish without the shellac? The matte finish is a little more natural but I am not sure what to think.Thanks for looking.
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Jon

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Dec-2019

Cutting Boards

Cutting BoardsMy friend who requested the matching bowls, cheese slicers and cutting boards asked for another cutting board so I made the bottom one for her and the top one from the extra 45 degree cuts with pieces added. Of course she wants the top one. Ha Ha I told her she could have either one, It doesn't matter to me. Walnut and Mahogany.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Dec-2019

Hollow turned ornament

Hollow turned ornament Turning more ornaments tonight and experimenting with thinner and thinner finnials. Maple and walnut.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Dec-2019

Solo Cup Holder

Solo Cup HolderSo my wife was having a party on one of my shop days this week. She's always looking to have everything perfect. I noticed that she had many decor items (strategically placed things I've made for her) but the drink station looked rather blah. I had an ash cutoff and an idea…Hence, my version of the ever-handy solo cup holder. Solid ash, some oil to make it pop and no reason to ever swap backwash with fellow party guests ever again. So for those out there who are always losing the marker, you're welcome.Follow us on social media at @docsdesignsfurniture on Facebook and Instagram!Www.docsdesignsfurniture.com

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Dec-2019

Entry Bench with Shoe Storage

Entry Bench with Shoe StorageWe have been needing better shoe storage for our front hall for years (shoes are just stacked in bookcases now) and I finally decided to do something about it. After getting inspiration from projects on here and elsewhere I decided on a basic plan for a bench with 2 shelves for storage (1 adjustable) and went to planning the design. Little did I know at the time how long it would take me to tweak the design to something that I would want to build but at the same time be achievable with my limited woodworking skills (I started on my new hobby about 1 year ago). For example I had never done mortise and tenon before and cutting the mortises was more than I could handle no matter what technique I tried, so I hit on the idea of cutting a continuous groove in the legs and making the mortises by filling in the grooves with wood strips (walnut in this case) and leaving spaces where I wanted to mortises to be.The frame and shelves are made from red oak and the top from Peruvian walnut. I finished the frame using Watco Danish oil followed by 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal, and finished the walnut top using 6 coats of Arm-R-Seal.I think for a first furniture project it turned out rather well, and my wife loves it. I have thought about making a matching table for the other side of the entry hall (taller and shallower with more shelves) as a complementary piece and additional storage (we have WAY too many shoes!).Thanks so much to everybody on this forum that has helped by giving me tips and inspiration on this and other projects. I only hope that as I gain knowledge and skills that I can share the same with others like so many here have done for me.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2019

Twin Family Tree Vases

Twin Family Tree VasesTwin family tree vases 450 mm high turned from segmented Fijian Kauri. One each for the two family membersComments welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2019

Christmas Crafts

Christmas Crafts I've been making all sorts of projects out of wood for 12 years and never made a dime, except for the time we made a Bear for our local funeral home. I figured I'd be resting on it one day so why not.
My wife and son have recently have gotten into laser engraving and cutting on an Epalog Laser owned by our public library. They made Christmas Ornaments along with college boxes cut out of 1/4” Birch Plywood to sell tomorrow at a church craft fair. The booth space is inexpensive and they drawn fairly large crowds. Along with my wife sisters they plan to become overnight millionaires. They asked if I wanted to make something so I could get rich too. I spent many hours making two items but decided to stay poor and donated them to their cause. At my age I'd be to old to enjoy all that money anyway.
I made the snow men out of scraps and turned them on my lathe. I'm not to good at making the hats look right on their heads so I cut them off with my bandsaw, sanded the top of the head flat and reattached the hat with a dowel. Painted, Polyed, drilled, and covered all my mistakes with glitter. It took forever it seemed till finally they were
done.
I turned the wand out of Cherry and sanded it to 3000 grit on the lathe, smooth as glass. Then used renaissance wax to protect and polish the wand. I used a wood-burner on the end to apply the initials HP. The base was made of scrap left over from a chess board I'm making.
I know this all sounds crazy but I have friends who pay for their tools and shop expenses doing Christmas Crafts Fairs starting around Thanksgiving up to the weekend before Christmas. They make a sizable amount of money. Hopefully my wife will become rich tomorrow and I can retire. Oh, I forget I'm already retired and love to play in my shop.
Thanks for Looking and Merry Christmas.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Dec-2019

Farm style table

Farm style table Farm style side table. Fits perfectly under the wall mirrors and doesn't clutter the slack being so narrow. Finished it with a double whitewashed look,white paint and Jacobean stain.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2019

Built-in Entertainment Center

Built-in Entertainment Center 16' built in entertainment center. Open space finished with a ship lap can fit up to a 65 TV. Shaker doors and drawers everywhere. Finished with a bottom base molding and and upper crown.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2019

Craftsman style clock

Craftsman style clockI made this clock out of quarter sawn white oak. My daughter and I took a day trip to Motawi Tile in Ann Arbor to buy the tile. We also got to take a tour of the factory. The finish was achieved by fumigating with household ammonia for 2 days followed with Danish Oil and then a couple of coats of wipe on polyurethane. I tried the danish oil without fumigating and just didn't like the result as much.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Dec-2019

Cake Knives

Cake KnivesWalnut and Maple cake knives I made for Christmas gifts. My wife asked me if I thought I could make them for a couple of friends, so my response was “challenge accepted!” I had never tried something like this before and I actually used an existing kitchen knife for a template. These are pretty easy to make, and an excellent use of small scraps if you're a wood hoarder like me.
A band sander and/or a spindle sander will make these almost effortless if you are so inclined. I made the walnut dowels for the handles using a piece of metal with a hole drilled in it and then running a square piece of stock through it. I saw the idea online somewhere and was a bit skeptical as to if this would work, but it does indeed!
finished with mineral oil and beeswax.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2019

Growth Ruler

Growth RulerHi:This last week, at my dear wife's suggestion, I built a “Growth Ruler” as a Christmas gift for my eldest son's family. Keeping in mind that my son is 6' 3” and that kids these days are often taller than their parent, I scaled the ruler from 2 feet to 7 feet.The ruler is constructed like a row of puzzle pieces (see pattern) connected together with dowels. I used Baltic Birch plywood, which is really nice to work with, and oak dowels.After tracing the pattern onto the plywood, each of the puzzle pieces was first pre-drilled where the dowels would be located. Then I took the wood to the bandsaw and to cut the straight lines. A 1/4” bandsaw blade moved freely in the drill holes, and allowed me to turn the wood as needed.Each puzzle piece is 6” square on the edges, not including the tang. The triangular cutout on the right side are 1” apart. The notches on the left side are 6” apart.I built a measuring slide that glides up and down the ruler to aid in measuring height. The slide can be fixed in position with a wing-nut and screw.The finish is clear coat with a topcoat of paste was. The numbers and dots were cut out of sign makers vinyl. I generated the text for these letters on my computer.All in all, this was a very enjoyable pre-Christmas project.Bill
bjudt@me.com

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2019

4 Christmas sleighs

4 Christmas sleighs I was thinking of what to do with some waist wood in the shop so i built these Christmas sleighs ,someone will enjoy them .

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Dec-2019

Miter Saw Station Build Part | 1

Miter Saw Station Build Part | 1YouTube Build VideoFree Build PlansMore Info

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Dec-2019

First Attempt - End Grain Coasters

First Attempt - End Grain CoastersJust thought I would try to make some end grain coasters. I'm happy with them, just wish their overall size was more consistent between one design and the other… next set…..

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Dec-2019

my First ( and only ) box made to date

my First ( and only ) box made to dateHi all, As the title says, this is ( so far) the only box I have made. I actually made this a couple years ago. I hope that's ok for posting. I love making smaller projects, but my honey do list is mostly for larger projects ( book cases, bedroom furniture, things like that ) so I was thrilled when the Mrs. asked for a keepsake box. I looked at tons of pictures and kind of picked out the details I liked. The wood was black walnut, a couple of boards I picked up locally and for the top insert a cutoff of a piece of air dried black walnut I had bought years ago for another project. So, to the build. There are four main components, the lid, main body, feet and tray. The lid is mortise and floating tenon with a groove cut around and the insert floating.
The main body is mitered with square ” maple keys” for alignment and as a detail. Unlike most I do most of my miter work on the chop saw.

I finished the inside prier to assembly.
The feet ( bottom) are mitered together with hidden splines then routered to leave the ” feet” proud of the rest of the bottom.
The tray is maple and black walnut
The hinges were brusso. All told I loved making it and my wife was ecstatic. My only disappointment was the walnut board I picked up did not have the ” snap” of the air dried insert. I have since heard the colors of air dried walnut are much more vivid.
Thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Dec-2019

Comments:

Mid century modern style end table

Mid century modern style end tableMy daughter need an end table to fill in a spot at her apartment for college. Made from ambrosia maple and walnut. Not sure how to rotate pics so any help would be appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Dec-2019

You Name It

You Name ItThis is a ??? kitchen thing.About 14 inches long, 3-1/4 wide and varies on thickness of flat part from relatively sharp on the front and right side to 3/8 thick on the left side.Made from pallet oak. Used a lot of different tools, even the scrollsaw and a lot of sanding,- even using a flap-wheel on the drillpress for some of it. The sharpening was all done with sanders. 2 hand sanders and 2 different belt sanders were used. The oscillating 4” grizzly carried the heavy load, with the 6” Jet doing the sharpening part.As I do not have a band saw the angle cuts were done with hand saws. the handle part was curt on the scrollsaw.Finish is many (probably 15+ ) coats of walnut oil-food grade.Design was a T & E special again.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Dec-2019

My 3rd & 4th segmented turning

My 3rd & 4th segmented turning I'm learning to build segmented turning . Lots more to discover.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Dec-2019

Turntable for cake

Turntable for cakeHow to make

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2019

More hiking sticks

More hiking sticksEvery time I go hiking, I see downed limbs that I need to make something out of. Usually hiking sticks. 4 Oak sticks, Minwax poly and paracord handles. And a black locust stick, stained with black gel stain, some Daly's teak oil and a paracord handle

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2019

Scroll Work

Scroll WorkI'll post better pictures when I finish the actual project these are for but I figured I'd show off the scroll work itself. I really like the saw now that I know what I'm doing with it but I have a lot more to learn

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Dec-2019

2nd. Tool handle

2nd.  Tool handleSecond handle

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2019

Comments:

Business card holder-When lumberjocks work together

Business card holder-When lumberjocks work togetherWhen lumberjocks work together, anything is possible! Awhile back, my Son printed some cards for me to set out during my craft shows. Now I knew I needed something to put them in. I wanted something original and shows my wood work. I thought of what has become my signature item for these sales, my post office door banks. I've made and sold over 60 of these over the last couple years. I had no idea how to make one small enough for cards but I thought maybe some of my friends might have an idea. So during the last swap I posted if any of the CNC users could do one the size of a card. I posted an example.The response was overwhelming. The conversation quickly turned to how to make one and I had offers to help me get one done. John McClure was the the first to offer to make one. I think it became a challenge for him. Before he could get started, Mikeacg had already figured out the vectors and sent them to him.John said with these he had all he needed to get started, except what size I wanted it. Gosh, I didn't know what size or how the project should be made. I sized it up as if it would be a drawer, with the cards inside. John posted this graphic to see what I thought. With that and a quick phone, he was off and running posting progress pics along the way.Getting ready to cut,we chose maple as the material with intention to paint it gold.When he finished, he posted the final results.I was amazed when I got them in the mail. It was also decided that the door needed a knob inside the letters. This was when HokieKen joined the build party. I sent him the size, very small and he had brass knobs on the way in no time. So small I have no idea how he was able to turn them.Now it was my turn. I chose walnut for the wood for the body and decided to make a holder in the top instead of a drawer. I cut rabbets in the front to recess the door into and also for the back. On the top I made a holder from maple to match the door and cut out for it to fit into. A bit tough with coping saw and chisel but I got a good fit. I cut a block for the inside that fills the box, adds weight and keeps the holder, the front and back in place and all is glued together. I added some trim around the maple to give a step raised look and to fill the window, I used antique copper mirror. For a finish I used danish oil. I chose not to paint, the natural wood look just seemed so much better to me.I have been more excited about this project then I have in a long time. I want to thank everyone that helped. This would not have happened without each of you.Mikeacg-for the vectors and renderingsJohn McClure-for making that beautiful doorHokieKen-for the knobsMike (my Son)-for the walnut pallet he found for the wood and the photography

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2019

Hickory and Walnut End Table

Hickory and Walnut End TableI finally finished the end table that I've been picking away at. It matches my other living room furniture. I tried a couple new things with it – 1) inlays, 2) Epoxy filling. Both worked out pretty well.One lesson I learned is that if you use slow-setting epoxy and have something suspended in it, the stuff settles to the bottom before the epoxy sets up. I ended up chiseling out some of the epoxy and refilling it. Ya live and learn. I had better luck with doing the epoxy in two “lifts”. The color comes from some turquoise colored sand I got at a hobby shop.All the joints are mortise and tenon. (Drawer has lap joints I guess)Finish is Danish oil, followed by 3 to 4 coats of Arm R Seal poly.It stands about 25” tall. Will reside by our couch.I'm really liking the chunk of hickory that's got all the mineral streaking in it. Can't beat the contrasting colors of hickory.Some additional build photos below:Some Parts cut out.
One of the side gluing up.
Dry fitting some joints.
Lots of mortises cut out.
I tried out my new tenoning jig. It worked well, except that I had a triple chip grind blade, and it left a little funky cut on the shoulders. I've since procured a square tooth blade that will fix that problem.
Final fit up and gluing.
Using a jig to cut in the inlays.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Dec-2019