November 2019

Some pens and new lathe tool

Some pens and new lathe toolI just had to make these three pens. One is Ambrosia maple made from the cut off from a current project. I just could not throw it away. The other two are comfort grip pens that I tried to fractal burn for a customer but one did not burn well at all that other one had half the wood burned off. So I turned off all the wood from both of them and and made one hard maple burl and one Pistachio pen.The lathe tool is a cutter made from and old parting tool. It is for boring holes that have to be real accurate. I saw a similar tool used and it can take very little material off on the side or the end. It is like a two way scraper. The handle is mahogany and walnut.All these products were finished with EEE and Shellawax!Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Nov-2019

Danish Modern Magazine Rack

Danish Modern Magazine RackI found this design on someone's Pinterest page, and it was the perfect time waster to build over the three day weekend. I intentionally did everything the hard way just to make my brain work (wedged legs, tilted wings, resawed the wood from scraps) and it did.I did manage to use my new-but-unused Veritas small router attachment for a Dremel tool. That thing, for the price, is awesome, if you do much inlay work. I haven't used the Micro-Router, which is a cool $400+. but for my purposes, it worked great. Much better than the plastic toy Dremel makes, which in all fairness DOES work. But is super-hard to micro-adjust.The banding is from my Buffard Freres stash. I thought “what the hey”. It's not like I want that stuff lining my coffin.Building a magazine rack in this day and age seems a bit like an anachronistic throwback. But now I have someplace to put my Model Railroaders so my wife won't throw them away. Stay tuned!For the detail person—Minwax Tung Oil finish, some leftover scraps of Khaya/African Mahogany from my Dead Man's Mahogany stash.

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Nov-2019

Comments:

Cherry and walnut display case

Cherry and walnut display caseA while back, a friend and neighbor from our previous home of twenty years past called and very generously offered some rough cut cherry lumber that he and his wife have been transferring from one domicile to another since the early sixties. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I jumped on the opportunity, only to find what appeared to be approximately ten or so 8 ft boards that had suffered severe bug infestation, some of the exposed sap wood literally crumbling in my hands as I loaded it into my van. My friend asked if I would make a small bookcase from the material for them and keep the rest for myself, only if I had the time…and with no expectation or requirement that I do it.This material was a challenge. Two of the boards were so bad I pretty much tossed them. As a surprise bonus, three of the boards were actually dark walnut. It took me a good year to get around to working with it. Once planed, I was rewarded with mostly curly cherry heartwood of beautiful color, and the walnut, though a bit stained and a bug damaged, to be beautiful as well.The above case is the result. The side panels are standard mortise and tenon rails and stiles with walnut inserts. The rails are dadoed for the shelving, with the shelf tenons slightly smaller then the dadoes to allow for movement. The shelves are attached with screws through the stiles, the screw holes slotted to also allow for wood expansion/contraction, and plugged with 1/2 square walnut plugs. I finished with four coats Minwax tung oil finish and three coats of paste wax.It was truly a pleasure to see my friends faces light up when I delivered the case today. Admittedly, given the tremendous amount of waste, there's not much left for my personal use, but the joy of working with this gorgeous wood was a reward in itself.

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Nov-2019

Comments:

ROUND BOWL WITH FOUR SIDES AND A LID.

ROUND BOWL WITH FOUR SIDES AND A LID.Tis the season in the north to start hiding out in the shop, first skiff of snow last night. I have tried to keep up with the postings on my phone and tablet. Great for seeing but not writing. I have spent allot of time this summer hiking etc and working on my property. Will post some of the things I did this summer later. This project has had top priority, my daughter had a request for me to send a bowl for an auction to raise money for a charity, so it had to be extra special. I had some experience with lathing a four sided bowl so though I would take it a step farther and do a matching lid and top it off with my first ever finial.The wood is Yellow Cedar. very fine grainI have a few construction pictures with some ideas that I will pass along. I lathed the bottom first but could not get a good dovetail for my chuck, I solved the problem by cutting a disc of wood and gluing it on.Then used the tail stock to apply gluing pressureThen lathed a great dovetail for the chuck. I like this idea as one can save more of the wood for the project. I would do it again on shallow projects. I simply sawed it off and finished the bottom normally.Turned it over, chuck held it securely and had not trouble lathing the top surfaceThe top was brought to a completion using a disc with a groove cut in it.The final step before putting the finish on was to cut vee groves for colored rings. Usually I spray the ring black, but I came up with another method, just use a black felt pen, one would not have to mask it off completely, tried it and it worked great. Should have thought of it before I started masking.To see how I put the color on I guess you will have to watch the video, It covers the complete building process.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwcRCf3kI4The only advice I will give is, ALWAYS USE GLOVES WHEN DOING A PROJECT LIKE THIS. and be more careful, I got wacked.For a bonus I make some spurtles and included with the bowl for some extra cash.Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Nov-2019

Scrap wood table/stand

Scrap wood table/standI was going through my scrap bin and found enough material to make this little table/stand.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Nov-2019

Tawa Hei Toki (Adze)

Tawa Hei Toki (Adze)Finished this hei toki from some awesomely flecked tawa over the week-end as the rain kicked in.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Nov-2019

USMC 244th Birthday - scroll of General John A Lejeune's 1921 Birthday message

USMC 244th Birthday - scroll of General John A Lejeune's 1921 Birthday messageThis was a scroll I was asked to make for PM LIght Tactical Vehicle yearly Marine Corps Birthday celebration at Quantico, VaHappy 244th Birthday MarinesIt contains the following.MARINE CORPS ORDERS
No. 47 (Series 1921)
HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS
Washington, November 1, 1921759. The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name “Marine”. In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.
The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.
In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term “Marine” has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.
This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as “Soldiers of the Sea” since the founding of the Corps.
JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General Commandant
757052

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2019

Push block from scraps

Push block from scrapsMade a push block for my tablesaw from scrapsYou can buy the original from MICROJIG, Inc. at Amazon for 70 here in GermanyEven though I like the idea, I am to cheap for that and I really like to build my own tools and jigs. No beauty at all, but a safety feature.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2019

Coffee Table

Coffee TableMy sister shopped all the furniture stores in her area but didn't find anything that fit her decor, so I was tasked with making it..
Maple with a tiger maple top, honey maple aniline dye finished with lacquer.
Thanks to David Southern for design, Bill Jefferson for construction guidance and Kenny Warren for finishing tips

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Nov-2019

Mission Clock

Mission Clock I purchased the plan from Klockit as well as the clock mechanism. I made the clock from white oak and put a natural oil finish on it. The plans they provide are drawings with some dimensions listed as typical. I modified the door and used a different router bit for the top and bottom.I had expected the plans to be better. I spent a fair amount of time trying to understand the drawings and make some sense of them. I had called their support line and was told someone would call me back. They offered me a refund, but I decided to give it a try.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2019

Walnut Computer desk

Walnut Computer deskHi Gang,
This was a project that was planned years ago, started in June, sat party finished for weeks and then was completed in early September. I had two book matched slabs waiting/wanting to be used for something exciting in our house and decided to replace my old computer desk. Before gluing up the top I ripped the other crotch section off so I would have a flat back to set against the pine wall of our loft. My original plan was to use this crotch section as a backsplash giving the desk a “double waterfall “effect – coming down from the back and then going down to the left – but that plan changed quickly after I dry assembled it. (It looked too busy and would have also been hidden by the monitors which now will be mounted against the wall, eliminating the typical monitor stands). I then decided to use the crotch section as a sub-imposed shelf to support the computer and printer below the desk top.
The miter joint uses 5 floating tenons and I affixed two metal brackets on the underside as reinforcements. I glued the miter cut-off in place to (almost) hide the metal brackets. I cut the other leg to leave two tenons, 1×1&1/2 inches, and then carefully transferred their location to the top and chiseled the mating mortises to make a very snug mechanical joint. I used Tightbond 3 for all gluing and filled the cracks and gaps in the top with epoxy.
The top is 1&1/2 inch thick and its widest point is 31 inches. The other leg is about 18 inches wide and was cut from a 2&3/4 in slab and flattened with a planes.Thanks for looking and as usual, please, ignore the Woodduck. . Marc

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2019

Round Tissue Box.

Round Tissue Box.This is my version of a round tissue box. Tony (Woodshaver) and I were having fun with this one. I tease him time to time to go out and get a lathe and he said if I show him how to make one on a lathe he would consider it.woodshaver Tony Chome | projects | blog6917 posts in 3883 days#27 posted 10-31-2019 08:57 AM
FlagOh NO Dave! Code of Ethics against me! LOL!
Sometimes I get it right but most times it's be accident! Although it's not April I couldn't help posting that cute little red lathe but just for a joke as you can see!I'm still lathe-less except for truing my drill press into one occasionally! Can you show me how to turn out a tissue box on a lathe? Now that would be very cool and I may bite the bullet and buy one! You made me feel lonely when you said I'm on my own you know. so show me a lathe tissue box and make me smile! LOL!Long story short, here you have it. It's made from Lyptus, Tigerwood, and Padauk. 10 segments to a ring, 10 rings. The top is a piece of red box elder which matched the padauk on the rings and the base is made from a chunk of walnut. 8'' tall, the base is 5'' dia, and the top is 3 1/2''. Finished with lacquer.
So should we wait for him to get a lathe? NOT!!!!
We had the round tissue boxes here which made the project easy but you can also use a stack of regular tissues and fold then twice to make them work. googleWell here it is Tony. Thanks for the inspiration. Nancy loves it.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Nov-2019

Hardwood floor inlays - Walnut in Oak

Hardwood floor inlays - Walnut in OakWe decided to convert the dining room floor to hardwood.I asked my wife “Do you want inlays to match the kitchen floor?” “Of course!” was the reply.When I asked my flooring guy if he wanted to do them or should I he said “You do it, my knees don't want to”Here are the steps:Make a template and lay out the designLocate the templateI used a template guide on my router so the template openings are larger than the inlayCut the pattern and move the templateFlip the template to cut the other. Note the “length adjustment” for the long slot and how I place a nail so the hole lands under the inlayCut mating halfUse the short slot in the template to cut connecting groove. Get ready to cut sharp cornersFinish the cornersCut a bunch of walnut sticks that are a tight fit in widthTrim to exact length, add glue and tap into placeRepeat until finishedProject took about 20-25 hours

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2019

Key Note

Key NoteKey Note Key Board Key Holder.
Real 1940s piano keys and hammers set in English Oak Themed on Mini Moog reference to the infamous Gary Numan.
For all the Muso's synth lovers here's a place to hang your keys
The Key Board…

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2019

Shop Cabinet

Shop CabinetI made this out of poplar, with a maple top. I wanted more storage plus another work surface. It was all done by hand and all solid wood except for the plywood drawer bottoms.It was good practice cutting half-blind dovetails and fitting drawers. By the end of this I was pretty happy with how my joints on my drawers came out.I'm also pretty new to making frame and panel pieces. Both sides, the bottom, and the two doors gave me pretty good practice on those. I thought I had gotten the doors pretty good, but I've got a little twist in one of them. I also hadn't hung doors before this. They were looking pretty good before I painted, but after I took them off to paint and put them back on, they weren't hanging quite right. I'll probably take them off one more time and do a little tweaking to see if I can get them just right. Part of it seems to be that the screws I got don't want to seat completely in the hinges. They look like they might be hitting each other and keeping the hinges from closing all the way.Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this came out. I feel like I got some good experience making it, learned some new techniques, and got some confidence to tackle something a little fancier next. Plus, I've got more storage space in my garage now! I'll probably make some little boxes and trays for small tools so I can keep things in the cabinet and just pull out a tray and take it to the bench when I need things.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Nov-2019

Mail and Key Organizer

Mail and Key OrganizerCheck out this DIY simple mail and key organizer! Now you can have your mail arranged and your keys always in one place, so you don't need to look for them any longer. Also having small place for plant makes it cozy and lovely. Find the free plans at TheDIYPlan.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2019

Miter saw stand

Miter saw standI finally got around to making a stand for my miter saw.
All plywood construction, it has two wings to support long pieces. On castors so I can roll it out to the driveway to make sawdust.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2019

Navy Grumman E4D Hawkeye Challenge Coin Holder

Navy Grumman E4D Hawkeye Challenge Coin Holder My son is a Navy avation structural mechanic (AM or airframer) stationed in Japan. He is assigned to a Hawkeye squadron and collects challenge coins like alot of his fellow servicemen. Thought it would be a good Christmas gift if I made him a display rack for his collection. Problem is, I couldn't print a silloette big enough on my printer for the project. So I got my artistic daughter to freehand one for me on poster board. Cut it out and used it to paint a outline on a piece of walnut. Cut it out on the band saw and them used the scroll saw to do the small cutouts. Cut slots 1/4” wide and 1/4” deep. Wasn't pleased with how the coins were sitting so I ran it through and made them about 3/8ths deep and that worked better. Inlaid a maple stripe. The Hawkeye has a distinctive tail section (see last pic) so to add a little demension to the project I added a raised section that sits in one of the slots and is removable for storage and transport. Finished with Danish oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Nov-2019

Library Card File Cabinet

Library Card File CabinetI have lurked on this site for a number of years but have never posted a project. I didn't believe any of my projects were worthy enough to post when compared to all of the great woodworking that is posted. However, I am proud of my latest project, a “library card file cabinet” made for a friend. She had looked for a couple of years but couldn't find what she wanted so I agreed to build it for her.The dimensions were made to fit her foyer and are 44”h x 49”w x 12”d. Stained white oak (per customer) finished with 4 coats lacquer for everything except the pullouts and top which are satin Arm R Seal. The 36 drawers just about kicked my butt! This definitely added to my skills and has given me confidence to try more furniture projects.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2019

Wild Intarsia

Wild IntarsiaI used Bloodwood, Poplar, Aspen, Alder, Spalted Maple, and Yellowheart.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2019

Custom Designed Live Edge Table & Base

Custom Designed Live Edge Table & BaseThe debut of the live edge dining table is here! Three weeks of work went into this beast, as you saw my earlier posts about designing and constructing the radian base. I chose to stain it gray to compliment our tile floors. It was a custom leg profile I designed and template routed. The legs are 3” thick with mortised stretchers.The top was a joy to complete as well. It is a 72×34x1.5 monkeypod slab that was router-flattened, then stabilized with steel c-channel to keep it as such. The choice of Rubio Monocoat Pure really creates the figure pop I was looking for. After curing, I wet sanded with mineral spirits up to 1500 grit and buffed out with some carnauba wax, this thing is like glass to the touch. For those curious, I purchased the slab at West Penn Hardwoods in Catawba, NC.I'm also working on my photographic skills as well…being that a picture can be worth a thousand words…or a furniture sale. So, as always on my posts, feedback is needed…the good, the bad, the ugly…lemme have it straight!Have a great week y'all and gimme a follow on Facebook or Instagram at @docsdesignsfurniture.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Nov-2019

Inexpensive Solar Light Grave Markers

Inexpensive Solar Light Grave MarkersMy wife lost her mother at the end of last year and a buddy of mine lost a infant granddaughter… Made these solar powered grave markers for them to use until the headstones were set in place . The landscape lights are just a few dollars apiece at any big box stores and fully self contained. I just disassembled them then attached to the crosses using lag bolts and a washer. Didn't have the room for the little girls full name to be routed on that cross so I ordered a brass plate to go on it instead. A simple and inexpensive way to show your respect.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2019

Keepsake boxes

Keepsake boxesThis was a simple but sweet project. A friend's family used to gather in a walnut paneled room every day to watch TV, read and talk. There was some leftover paneling stored in their garage. His mother passed a few years ago and his father died this past year. The extra scraps of paneling were kept when they sold the house. He asked if I could build keepsake boxes of whatever design I came up with. He wanted a dozen as Christmas gifts for family members this year. The only criterion was that most of the box had to be made from the walnut paneling. Above are 6 of the boxes drying after a finish was applied.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2019

Table Centerpiece

Table CenterpieceI love how this table centerpiece turned out. This flower center piece is designed for bottles that are 7 1/2” tall. We bought Fever-Tree premium ginger ale drink and used the empty bottles for this project. I burned the wood using propane torch to give it that texture look and than stained it with Minwax gray color. I used the same burning method to make our king size headboard. Find the free plans at TheDIYPlan and enjoy building!

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Nov-2019

Clock for my Other Uncle

Clock for my Other UncleAfter making the first clock for my older Uncle and Aunt's 50th wedding anniversary, I went back and began making this clock for my Uncle I had never met yet. Although it's been delayed for various reasons, I finally brought it over to the house today to wait until i can deliver it to him hopefully sometime in the next month or so.My Uncle, a retired Master Chief Petty Officer, Radioman, served on several subs notably the second USS Finback SSN 670 while his wife, my Aunt, is a retired Senior Chief Petty Officer, Personnel, who served many years on the USNS Comfort hospital ship.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2019

live edge mirror

live edge mirrorMade this black walnut live edge mirror from a piece of wood that's been sitting in my shop for years. I'm on a mission to use up some of these pieces of wood that have been in the way for to long. I put this one up for sale at my restaurant for $48 and it sold in the first hour, guess I should have asked for more.These live edge projects have been very hot for me, going to try to make some inventory for the holidays.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2019

Paper Towel holders

Paper Towel holdersHere's an idea for some of that scrap wood that's just to nice to through out and collects dust for ever in your cut off bin. I can usually get around $20 for them and they don't last long around the holidays.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Nov-2019

Comments:

End grain chaotic cutting board

End grain chaotic cutting boardFinished up an end-grain cutting board today. The body of the board is made from purple heart, walnut, maple, and cherry and the border is walnut. All grain is vertical to make the board fully end grain.Cutting sequence:
1. Made 4 planks measuring 13x14x1.25. Glue/clamp/wait 24 hrs/plane.
2. Cut 1.25 strips. Rearranged and flipped 90 degrees. Glue/clamp/wait 24 hrs/plane.
3. Cut 1 strips. Rearranged and flipped 90 degrees. Glue/clamp/wait 24 hrs/plane.
4. Cut 1 strips. Rearranged and flipped 90 degrees. Glue/clamp/wait 24 hrs/plane.
5. Final cuts are 1 7/8. Rearrange/flip end grain up. Glue/clamp/wait 24 hrs/plane.Added a 3/4 walnut border. Routed in handles and 1/4 round over on all edges. Sanded 80/120/220. Coated with mineral oil. Measures 14x21x1.75.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Nov-2019

Sandpipers for Sandpiper

Sandpipers for SandpiperThis is a little decoration for the galley table on my new to me sailboat Sandpiper. I looked through a lot of photos before I found one I liked. It seems that sandpipers aren't particularly pretty birds on the ground. In flight however it's a different ball game.What really makes this special is the single piece of Indian Rosewood veneer that forms the background. I have a few pieces like this with the sapwood in the centre. (Perhaps you recognize it Elaine)The big challenge to this project was that it is inlayed into my galley table which is teak plywood with extremely thin veneer. It would have been so easy to sand through….Thanks for looking…Paul

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Nov-2019

Custom cabinet run

Custom cabinet runThis is a run of custom cabinets that I made. The boxes are 3/4” Baltic Birch and the solids are Poplar.I really wish I had a sprayer, but since I dont, this is completely hand painted.The scalloped shelf supports, while unconventional, really make these cabinet stand out as completely custom. It was a ton of work, but really pleased with the outcome.I included a “before” photo as well.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Nov-2019

"Big Santa"

"Big Santa"“Big Santa Painted!”
I completed painting this guy last night and i think he turned out pretty good. Not as good as the original by Harold Enlow, but I knew that wasn't very likely. But I still enjoy carving his rough outs and I learn quite a bit from each one and hopefully something will rub off one of these days. He is about 16 inches tall and six inches wide, so there is a lot of room for details. I did open his eyes up a bit, although they are still a little squinty. I was trying a technique that Vic Hood mentioned for making a happy eye. At least I'm happy! Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Nov-2019

Scrap Wood Redneck Cooler

Scrap Wood Redneck CoolerNot much of a story. My daughter wanted a rustic wedding and a watering trough as a drink cooler. I can't just throw a metal tub on the ground and call it a day, so…I had a bunch of cut-off 2X4s laying around and got to work. The only “new” purchase was the trough and the hinges. I attached the tub to the base using metal roofing screws to keep it water tight and finished with a couple of coats of cedar deck stain/water proofing.By the time the reception was over, I had this one sold and had orders for a few more. Yes, the spigot is a working drain. It holds 8 full cases of soda and fifteen 10 pound bags of ice.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Nov-2019

Alder Bowl

Alder BowlThis is loose end that I had laying near the lathe for a while and I decided to finish it for the show tomorrow.
I got this big alder log from a firewood pile in Washington State. It was twice as long but it was very cracked so I cut off half of the height and burned it and still had some cracks to contend with in this piece. I filled them with powdered gold stone and CA glue. I'll never use that in a turning again unless I can just sand it. It dulled 4 bowl gouges to just clean up the fills. Actually the fleck in the gold stone does not show up very well in this small of an area.This bowl is 10” x 3” high and finished with Danish oil and buffed and waxed.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Nov-2019

Another Ornate Thingy

Another Ornate ThingyThis is one more of Charles Hands Ornate patterns. Decided to cut it just to stay in practice, while I wait to receive some wood I ordered. Got it done just in time because the wood got here. I have a couple clocks I want to build so I will be busy this winter. By the way I have ordered wood twice now from Cherokee Woods located in California. I am ordering 1/8” and 1/4” stock, and what I have received has been top quality. Service is great also.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2019

Pencil Box

Pencil BoxThis Pencil Box is a very simple wood project for kids to do at home. I had bunch of scrap plywood laying around from other projects so I decided to do something small and simple that my kids could help with. Find the free plans at TheDIYPlan

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2019

Chess Board

Chess BoardA chessboard made as a learning exercise in precision fitting. Tiles are black walnut and hard maple on a hidden plywood base. Boarder is a thin strip of oak with a leapardwood frame. Finish is several coats of poly varnish buffed to a high gloss finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Nov-2019