October 2019

Cherry and Walnut Router Table Wing

Cherry and Walnut Router Table Wing After almost three years of having it in a box under my table saw, I finally installed a cast iron General router table wing on my SawStop table saw. It was not an exact fit and I had to make some serious modifications. Because of the difference in wing sizes, I decided to install a cherry and walnut cutting board tail-piece. I had the lumber as scraps from a recent paddle build and hutch repair. Everything was glued up, a coat of Silver Tip 2-part epoxy was applied, sanded, and then 3 coats of marine spar varnish topped it all off.SawStop now makes a router table wing and router lift that bolts right in, but they didn't when I bought both the saw and wing. That said, the do-it-yourself option with the General or similar wing and lift is less than 1/2 the cost of the SawStop option.I documented the whole overbuilt process in a 2-part YouTube Video series and in part 1, I went over the steps I took getting the wing installed and mounted correctly and the installation of the router lift, plus a few tips. For the second of two videos, I detailed the fence installation, the vacuum box and dust collection, and the steps I took in making and installing the over-built wooden tail piece.Part 1:
https://youtu.be/Zu1VS1Ef45oPart 2:

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Oct-2019

Birthday Box

Birthday BoxMy wife asked me to build a small box to hold some scented votive candles to send to her sister for a birthday.
The box is made from Brazilian Koa flooring and Red Oak leftovers. Finish is spray lacquer.
The initial is pyrography.
Turned out pretty sweet.

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Oct-2019

Bookshelf

BookshelfThis modern look bookshelf was assembled using just dowels and wood glue. I chose to use Dowelmax to drill the holes and connect boards with dowels because I didn't want to have visible screws or pocket holes. Find the free plans at TheDIYPlan

posted at: 12:01am on 22-Oct-2019

Comments:

Tap Handle (Wrench) Made From Hardwood.

Tap Handle (Wrench) Made From Hardwood. I have a project coming up where I need a 1/4-20 bolt to be screwed into a piece of hardwood.Already having the 1/4-20 tap, I don't have a tap handle.The tap handle is made from cumaru which is a super hard wood and is rated 3330 LBf on the Janka hardness scale.This wood wrench is for tapping wood, not metals.A stainless steel 1/4-20 1/4 set screw was used to hold the tap in the handle.An 1/8 Veritas PM-V11 chisel worked great to square up the small drill hole to hold the small end of the tap.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Oct-2019

Desk for my daughter, Reclaimed Pine Heartwood and Maple

Desk for my daughter, Reclaimed Pine Heartwood and MapleMy 8 year-old elder daughter requested that I make her a desk for her to do her homework on. I may have overdone it a bit—she'll grow into it, but at 5-feet long, it's quite a lot of desk for a little girl. Guess I should have scaled things down. Took me long enough too—I started back in April and just delivered last week…Very grateful to Brett for sharing the plans for his Walnut and Maple desk, with an honorary mention to BroncoBrian, whose Purpleheart and Maple rendition of Brett's plans I first stumbled across.The top and drawer fronts are ~100 year old pine heartwood, formerly floorboards from the kitchen of my ~100 year old house. For the top, although the boards started out around 13/16”, even with cauls I had to plane it to about 11/16” to get things flat, making for a relatively thin top. The many nail holes are filled with West System epoxy, colored with some black pigment that I had sitting around from an attempt at colored concrete many years ago. Body is all hard maple, nothing too exciting there.I'm really please with how this turned out. Made a lot of progress with my skills—the dovetails on the drawers are my best yet. Also during this project I finally figured out how reliably to get my chisels super sharp (thanks to a Paul Sellers video), which was a big help with chopping mortises in that hard-as-rock maple!

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Oct-2019

Santa Claus Tree Ornament

Santa Claus Tree OrnamentThis is a Santa Claus tree ornament. It is about 6 inches tall, 2 inches wide. It is carved from basswood and the back is hollowed out to reduce weight.Claude

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Oct-2019

Board and bowl

Board and bowlMy son in law asked me to make a cutting board and matching bowl,I have made my share of cutting boards but never a matching bowl. Actually this is the first bowl I ever made.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Oct-2019

bench

benchlive edge bench i made from an old apple tree everything was cut with a chainsaw

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Oct-2019

More cutting boards

More cutting boardsThese two boards came from the same blank and the scraps from that blank. Birdseye Maple, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, Padauk, Cherry Walnut, and Quartersawn White Oak.

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Oct-2019

Comments:

Dog stuff holder (excuse to use the "new" bandsaw)

Dog stuff holder  (excuse to use the "new" bandsaw)Bandsaw purchased last spring but havent had opportunity to use it much. This is a silly project I finished last week. Holder for “dog stuff” by the garage door. Used the wood I played with on the bandsaw (walnut strip in poplar) for the front and then tried large finger joints on the bandsaw with questionable outcome. Added few screws so seems solid enough. Decided to add some interest to the back board so I cut some more rolling waves at the band saw. Used keyhole slots; so it is now home securely on the garage wall by our door. No more looking for dog combs and brushes. Teddee did not seem impressed

posted at: 12:01am on 19-Oct-2019

Snowman with Cardinal

Snowman with CardinalThis is a little snowman with a snow shovel and a cardinal bird. He stands about 4.5 inches tall, carved from basswood, painted with acrylics.Claude

posted at: 12:01am on 18-Oct-2019

Simple Butcher Block Workbench

Simple Butcher Block WorkbenchSimple workbench that took me 3 years to build…I have a carpenter's bench with end-vise in the middle of my shop so I can work all around it. This is a secondary “side bench” fixed to the wall for assembly work, fix-it projects, etc.Was going to glue up a pine top but found a 2” thick 2' x 6' maple butcher block for $50, so I picked that up and glued up stock for legs about 3 years ago. And there it sat until last week when I got back to it and finally finished it!Cutting the big stretcher mortises was interesting. In the past I've used a tablesaw stacked dado blade. Pain to set up and adjust, and still the cuts aren't that clean. This time I hogged out the mortises on the bandsaw to within 1/8” of final size, then set up the equivalent of a crosscut sled on my router table, set stop blocks, and routed the mortises to final dimension. Worked fantastic, it was quick, all 14 mortises are exactly identical size, and the stretchers snug in perfectly! I test assembled the whole thing dry with no glue/screws, and it stood up itself just fine and pretty stout.2' x 5' maple butcher block top
Pine legs, 3”x 3”, made by jointing two 2×4's, then gluing together
Pine stretchers, glued and screwed into half-lap mortises in the legs
No front stretcher at the top, so I have unhindered access for clamping.
3/4” maple plywood lower shelf. Later it'll get a drawer unit.-

posted at: 12:01am on 18-Oct-2019

Blond Yorkie

Blond YorkieThis is a blond Yorkshire Terrier caricature, carved for a customer. It stands just over 3.5 inches tall. Carved from basswood, painted with acrylics.Claude

posted at: 12:01am on 18-Oct-2019

A Member Remember

A Member Rememberlj member Scott Clark recently passed away suddenly and his family asked me to make a container for his cremains. I hesitated to post this but I know Scott would be pissed if I didn't. He always referred to lj's as “the site”. It's made from wood that Scott hand picked in the last year or two, including the “1/4 figured maple bundles he was selling here on the site, a big hunk-a Black Walnut burl crotch that he harvested locally and the figured maple slabs he had that we used for a bassinet project we were doing.I thought it was only fitting that his ashes rest in his wood and knowing him I think he'd like that as well as adding some appropriately snarky retort to the idea. :-)

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2019

C. Christiansen workbench

C. Christiansen workbenchI found this Christiansen workbench with Sheldon quick release vise. I believe this is all maple and I used an English Chestnut stain.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2019

Small Crosscut Sled

Small Crosscut SledDecided it was time to make a well needed small crosscut sled. I got the idea for this one from a few different ones on the internet. I needed it to fit my Dewalt table saw, so got the dimensions from it. The bottom is 1/2 inch ply with the front and back of two 3/4 inch ply glued together for more rigidity. I used some scrap padauk for the two runners. After building it, I took a cut through it and adjusted the front fence to exact 90 degrees with the saw line with my digital measuring tools. I then installed a blade guard or block to protect hands etc. It was sanded, then sprayed with lacquer and sanded lightly. I then waxed both the bottom of the sled and the table saw to make it slide easier. I used the bandsaw to cut the back down a little to lessen the weight, and slightly rounded all edges for safety.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Oct-2019

Challenge Coin Rack for Naval Officer

Challenge Coin Rack for Naval OfficerThis is multi-level challenge coin rack I made for a friend of mine currently stationed in Germany. The emblem in the top is called the Mustang emblem which represents someone who began their Naval career as an enlisted person and worked their way into the officer ranks. The logo was cut with my CNC machine. The project is made from Walnut and Maple and finished with clear lacquer. Not shown in the picture is a Lazy Susan that I installed on the bottom so you can spin the coin rack around to view the coins on all sides. This design will hold approximately 80 standard challenge coins.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Oct-2019

Comments:

Extreme Birdhouses , Security Camera Birdhouse !

Extreme Birdhouses     , Security Camera Birdhouse ! This house has a built in security camera and is made from white cedar.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Oct-2019

From Firewood to Mallet

From Firewood to MalletFrom firewood to mallet.I've always wanted a Lie Nielsen mallet made by Blue Spruce. I like the shape, feel, and compact size. It's a beautiful mallet but out of my budget so I decided to make my own.I drive by a firewood lot every once in a while and love to stop by and see what I can find. There are mounds and mounds of all kinds of wood. The wood is already split so it isn't much good for furniture but it's great for small projects. I found some River Red Gum Eucalyptus firewood (really heavy and hard) with some nice figure and made a mallet out of it.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Oct-2019

Comments:

Raindrop Koa wood 4 poster and guest bed.

Raindrop Koa wood 4 poster  and guest bed.Well,,,, I just got a random comment on an old post and was surprised to see that maybe 6 years have gone by since putting anything up! It looks like you are all crazy about jigs and fixtures and still making tons of stuff. Same here more or less, Last year I got caught in a run of about 45 pieces ( including 20 chairs) of what I would categorize as traditional woodworking. It was interesting to revisit some of these old forms and try to come up with something a bit new / different. These are the two 4 posters that were part of the commission.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2019

Onesies

OnesiesOnesies that I made over the weekend on my CNC.GarageworX 18×24 CNC
Vectric VCarve Pro software
Sweetheart font
Select pine
45 deg vbit for the text
.25” compression bit for the profileSpray shellac finish
Hand paint the letters
Finish sand thru the grits
Spray shellac for the final finish

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2019

Benchtop Jointer Extension Wings

Benchtop Jointer Extension WingsPretty basic project here. I finally got fed up with lousy joinery so I broke down and purchased a benchtop jointer and thickness planer. Not the bees knees but great for my hobby work in the garage.Anyway, as much as I love my new jointer, it suffers the same pitfalls as all benchtop jointers, especially the short tables. This model came with a 31” top with rails that extend out to about 51”. That's cool, except with all that empty space in there, the rails aren't actually very helpful. So I took advantage of their presence and made some “wings” that rest on the rails and make for a virtually seamless extended table. The rails are adjustable to be parallel and coplanar, and my wings take advantage of that (in other words, they follow whatever adjustments I make to the rails).I used 3/4” baltic birch plywood. I used my router and edge guide to route the grooves. Sanded and used finishing wax to make for a smooth and slippery surface.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Oct-2019

Another 3D Voronoi Pattern

Another 3D Voronoi PatternWith this project I wanted to create an abstract representation of a giraffe against a deep blue sky. The black walnut carved Voronoi pattern closely resembles the giraffe pattern and the deep blue dyed veneer represents the sky. The dyed veneer was glued to a piece of 1/2plywood using a vacuum veneer press. The biggest challenges in this project ware designing the Voronoi pattern and then accurately cutting the veneered plywood to match the curve of the walnut (the walnut is not simply glued onto the veneered plywood, but actually set into the plywood as can be seen in the last three pictures.
As before I first designed the pattern in software and then cut the pattern on my CNC machine. The frame is 3/8 black walnut with mired joints. Finish is Minwax hand rubbed poly.
Roger

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2019

Silent Auction Gift For School

Silent Auction Gift For SchoolThis is a silent auction gift for my Granddaughter Lola's Elementary School here in Georgetown. Made of Soft Maple a simple wand spindle turning. I always add a short fantasy story for enthusiasm. This one was called The White Wand of Chadwick and on the base I burned the initials A D. so the kids would be intrigued and the parents would bid more. Thanks for Looking, Joe

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2019

The Herd

The HerdGetting ready for a holiday-themed craft show … these can either be stand-up displays, or be hung on the wall. They are cut from 1/2” and 1/4” birch plywood, and stand about 9” high. Finish is rattle-can acrylic.These are not my original design … the pattern was authored by Steve Good, and appeared on his Scrollsaw Workshop. If you are into scrollsaw work, Steve offers a terrific daily blog along with free patterns.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Oct-2019

Bunny hutches

Bunny hutchesI was asked to make some bunny hutches for a friend. I wanted to make them as well as I could which led me to over engineer a little. The boxes are western cedar for a non toxic cage but rot resistant and the bases are pressure treated. I loosely used plans from Stan Sullivan Simply Easy DIY. It was pretty easy but the most fun woodworking were the handles. I laminated cedar and white oak due to rot resistances of both woods.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Oct-2019

New mallets

New malletsI made these mallets with some cut offs I had. The big one is paduak and maple with a hickory hammer handle I bought. The little one is purple heart and maple with a red oak dowel for a handle.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Oct-2019

It begins..

It begins..I've been thinking about a pole lathe for quite some time. I think I'll see if I can crap out a somewhat functional one tomorrow to speed this up.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2019

"Cuzns" making clocks #2

"Cuzns" making clocks #2I had the grand kids over during the summer looking for something to do. So I decided to give them the option of making clocks for their rooms. The first part with four of the grand kids is here.https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/410706The continuation with two more grand kids is here. It's the same process as before but with two different wood selections. -They got to select their own wood-But, between the first group and the second group I found some more veneers. I spied the one that Savannah selected. It was a piece of veneer that had a color spot with some missing veneer that was in the shape of a heart. Just the thing for a girl. (Trying not to be sexiest in that statement) The top is the same veneer but didn't have the heart imperfection (or perfection if you prize it more)Brendon's was a little more difficult because it was a four way match of Madron Burl from Oregon You tape up two pieces and then two other pieces and then you run them through the saw to get a straight edge so that all 4 pieces are square. There was a slight broken piece where the 4 corners met, but then we drilled the hole for the clock motor and all was right with the world.They opted to go without any identification for the hours. Who needs that anyway.I great time was enjoyed by all. The parents were pleased that they found something to keep busy other than video games.Grandpa was glad that he got to share a little knowledge and spend some time with them.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2019

Family measuring board.

Family measuring board.As the title states this is a measuring board for our growing family. It's made of beech with the letters and numbers burned in with my laser engraver. All the lines are routed in then epoxy filled. The last picture is of a tee square that will be held in place by magnets for storage. The long piece is dovetailed into the small section that contains the magnet. The edge of the measuring board also contains its sister magnet. So the thought is for it to be used with long side coming out and laying ontop of the person or dog being measured head. Then used across the measuring board to make the line for the measurement on the board. Sorry I don't have a pic of it being held up the gel super glue is still drying and the magnets are 20lb pull so I'm sure it will pull out of the hole.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Oct-2019

Dovetail Stool

Dovetail StoolThis is a project I made for school. It is the first project I've ever put hand-cut dovetails in (though I did a lot of practice pieces before hand). Overall I think the stool turned out pretty great. Nothing fancy just some nice joinery.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2019

Cribbage Board Box

Cribbage Board Box The board is made from cherry and the ends are walnut. I built these for a local shop so they are laser engraved with “Black Forest Colorado” to give the tourist something to take home.If you are interested in seeing how I made them. Check out my video.Thanks for watching
Brain Benham

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2019

Comments:

Been wanting these for a long time.

Been wanting these for a long time.Every time I think about it I don't have the right limbs available, then when I do I never think of it. kek.Been eye balling this limb that had broken out of a tree and landed on a fence and tangled in vines so it was kept off the ground since we moved here a couple of months ago. It was already there. I didn't expect to get any good wood from it but today I decided to check it out and was happily surprised. Got enough for these two holdfasts, and several other pieces one to two feet long 1 1/2” to 3” dia.Posted on the forums earlier about my improvised shaving pony, this is what I was working on.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Oct-2019

Blue Pine Mantel

Blue Pine MantelFinally getting around to posting pics of my last project. I wanted it to be a little more “live edge” than it ended up, but all in all I'm happy with it…. more importantly my wife is happy.. Thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Oct-2019

Comments:

Craftsman style white oak dining chairs

Craftsman style white oak dining chairsThese were my first chairs. So I approached this project slowly and methodically. I followed fairly closely a pattern published in Fine Woodworking by Kevin Rodel in 2007. And, before I cut any white oak I made a practice chair from construction grade 2×4s.I bandsawed the parts roughly and then brought them to final shape using an MDF pattern and a bearing-guided spiral router bit. I had to be careful with grain direction, which meant I could rout half the workpiece with the pattern taped to one side and then I had to affix the pattern to the opposite side to finish shaping it. I still needed to use hand tools (spokeshave, hand plane) to remove tool marks and to refine the final shape.I made use of my milling machine to cut the angled mortises. I also used it to trim the tenons for the mortise and tenon joints. It was the first time I had used the milling machine to bring the tenons to final thickness but it worked really well. There were a lot of mortise and tenon joints.I prefinished the pieces before assembly so that I could color the pieces to match the dining room table. I taped the mortises and tenons to prevent contamination with finish. Then, I applied shellac, General finishes brown mahogany gel stain (wiped on and then immediately wiped off), some more shellac, followed by several coats of an oil-varnish blend.I added some ebony pegs on either side of the crest rail and chiseled them into pyramids using a sheet of stainless steel to prevent the chisel from marring the finished surface of the chair back.I upholstered the chairs myself, following a video workshop on upholstery for woodworkers on the Fine Woodworking Magazine web site. That video series alone made my annual fee for web access worth the money.When I built the dining table, I had this chair design in mind so I built the trestles to match the chair backsplat. The German shepherd seems to approve of the match.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Oct-2019

"Autumn" hand plane

"Autumn" hand planeI haven't been on here forever. I have been working for a company and decided that I wouldn't post anything I made for them. It's their product. But recently I've been making some knives and decided to make a few hand planes. This is the first one and I am in the process of making the 2nd one. This plane is a wood plane made with maple, walnut, bubinga, teak, and ziricote. The lever cap is stainless steel, the lever cap screw is stainless steel with a walnut insert, and the blade is 01 tool steel that I heat treated and tempered. As always any criticism, positive or negative, is welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Oct-2019

Comments:

King Size Sun Burst design bed.

King Size Sun Burst design bed.merican By Mimwax with 3 coats of satin poly. Enjoy

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2019

PumpkiNSpice

PumpkiNSpiceBeen looking at some more of Rebecca DeGroot's work and decided to try her herringbone pattern ornaments. For first attempt, OK, but need to glue up bigger blank for a bigger ornament. The wood is the laminated wood from Cousineau Wood Products. The colors are orange and brown.Bobby
Louisiana

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2019

Box elder clock

Box elder clockBoxelder clock

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Oct-2019

Farmhouse chair

Farmhouse chairI made this farmhouse chair to match the dining table that I build from Shanty-2-Chic website. For this project its important to use wood glue on all of the joints so that it would stay together for a long time. Find free plans at The DIY Plan

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2019

Flag Display Box

Flag Display BoxI finally finished this flag display box. I created it as a prototype because it was it required some new techniques that I was unsure about.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2019

Cherry Maloof Settee to match the rocker

Cherry Maloof Settee to match the rockerHad some left over cherry from the rocker and the wife said, we could really use a bench by the door for putting on shoes. So of course I built this. Not what she had in mind and she doesn't plan on putting it by the door, but it matches the rocker!

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Oct-2019

Radius Dish - 28 Feet

Radius Dish - 28 FeetFinished first radius dish. Used the radius template from the last project to make the 28 foot radius guide rails for the router sled. 3/4” plywood rails were capped with 1/8” plywood to provide a smoother running surface for the sled. The attempt to make a dust collector attachment didn't work out well so the project was moved outside where the 3/4” MDF made a real mess. Drawer pull knobs were used to aid in the spinning of the dish. The surface came out much smoother than expected so minimal sanding will be required.The radius dish will be used to build a slight arch into the tops of ukuleles and someday maybe a guitar or two. The 28 foot radius guide rails will be swapped out for a 15 foot pair to make another dish for assembly of arched backs.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2019

Brazilian koa keepsake box

Brazilian koa keepsake boxMajority of materials is from some 3/8” wood flooring scraps I had as leftovers from a wall project.
Compass rose veneer is from Matt at inlaybanding.com.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2019

Lidded Box

Lidded BoxA store-bought Ambrosia Maple blank started this example of unadulterated nonsense. In photo #4, you may see some kind of inclusion (?). It's not. It seems there was a band of pith running through this piece. Even with store-bought wood, I seem to be pithin' into the wind. The bit that looks for all the world like a coffee stain is actually in the wood. I quit drinking coffee three years ago, this month. (I'm a recovering caffeine addict.) I kinda like it, quite frankly.The lid was created as follows:And, this:I wanted to burn a line into the knob. Does anyone know what I did with my burnishing wires? Can't find them. So I got out a purple Sharpie. I wiped off the excess because I was a-feared the ink would spread while I was applying finish. The finish I applied was YG and HS.Then, I fired up my wood burning pen and, like a moron, signed it. (The pen didn't get hot enough. I actually had to take a torch to it to heat it up enough to make a mark. Or, a moron, if you please.)Thank you. And, I apologize.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Oct-2019

Tissue Box Curly Maple & Walnut

Tissue Box Curly Maple & WalnutThis tissue box is made with Curly Maple and Walnut and is similar to the last box I made. The tray under the 1/2 box of tissues leaves a little space to hide some small things if you use a 1/2 box of tissues in it. If you leave the tray out a larger box of tissues will fit.
I kept the walnut splines straight unlike the last box I made. People said the splines cut on an angle looked crooked and not done intentionally; I agree straight splines look much better.
I used a piano hing to attach the cover and finished the box using spray on lacquer.
Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2019

Horse hoof pick

Horse hoof pick Horse hoof pick. Doug fir burl handle, walnut ends, copper cap ferrule, stainless hook.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2019

Comments:

Oak and layered birch ring

Oak and layered birch ringTurned two separate ring blanks and combined them into the final ring. Voila :)

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Oct-2019

Murphy Grill Station

Murphy Grill StationThis fold down storage cabinet is a great place to store all your grill tools and accessories.It features Wallcontrol pegboard and Weatherwash stain.It folds up when not in use and is a great centerpiece for any outdoor grilling area!How it works
Free Plans

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2019

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!The Hammond Library here in LA sponsors our carving club. The librarian is always asking us to bring in more carvings to display, so I made this one for them to put on the check-out desk. Measures 3×3 x 3 inches, not counting the stem. Hollowed out with a 1.5 inch Forstner bit, and a battery-powered votive “candle” that flickers inserted in the bottom. Hope you like it.Claude

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2019

Rustic American Flag Plaque

Rustic American Flag PlaqueI made this rustic American Flag plaque for an active duty Coast Guard member that was transferring to a new command. This was to commemorate her tour with the Pacific Law Enforcement Team. The plaque is 10.5” x 18.5” and made from oak. I stained the flag with a dark walnut stain and flame kissed the stripes and insignia with a torch. The medallion was cut with my CNC machine. This was a fun project and the recipient was very pleased with the outcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Oct-2019

rustic ladder towel bar

rustic ladder towel barchestnut barn wood and metal ladder towel bar that I made as part of a bathroom remodel. thanks for looking

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Oct-2019

Baby Grand Piano Bookcase Conversion

Baby Grand Piano Bookcase ConversionThis was a big build! Commissioned by a friend to turn a Baby Grand Piano with a damaged sound board into a book case for their music room.I started by stripping the piano, build up the frame what help the sound board, veneered the inside with mahogany to match the outside. Inset the shelves. Built out arches and used the key bed as a bottom shelf. I left the piano serial number visible and highlighted it in gold.Added a maple back to mimic the original soundboard. Trimmed the lid to act as trim and positioned a maple keystone at the top as accent.Finally reattached the pedals for accent. They couldn't be happier. Delivered and installed. Now to be used to store music books and other items.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Oct-2019

School Bowls

School BowlsThese area couple bowls I turned at school between classes or when I didn't have any turning students for that class. These roughed out blanks were on the shelf for quite a while and no one wanted to finish them, so…The walnut bowl is 6” x 2 1/4” and is finished with clear gloss lacquer.The Osage orange bowl with the branch hole through it is 7” x 4 1/2” and is finished with satin poly.I'm giving the walnut bowl to the new secretary at the high school who lets me in with the visitor badge each day.
I giving the Osage bowl to my friends Myron and Diane who gave me the big stash of Osage Orange wood a couple years ago.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Oct-2019

Scott Morrison Inspired Bassinet

Scott Morrison Inspired BassinetJust completed this bassinet inspired by the original by Scott Morrison, but many thanks to Steve Gaskins, a fellow member of this forum, who also has built a reproduction and was instrumental in guiding me through the build process.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2019

Comments:

A couple of spoons, my first ever.

A couple of spoons, my first ever. Also if your broke like me, I made that gouge (bottom image, top center) from a brick layers jointing tool. They are like 6 bucks at lowes, can make two sizes. Better to decide which size you want and cut the other end down to be handled. I'll do that when I can get a hot enough fire going or borrow a torch for a few minutes to straighten it out. Works pretty good for a sub $10 gouge. Of course I've never had a real gouge in hand, so nothing to compare to.Any way, plan to get at least one bowl from that log, some more spoons/ladles/whatever.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2019

POWER

POWERPOWER is a sculpture carved on a massive block composed by a lot of glued battens of a Brazilian wood species called IMBIA (Ocotea porosa).
The total height is 7.5 feet including a base with about 20 inches (not shown).
The weight is something near to one ton.
I hope that this fist reminds to power, determination, etc., but never an allusion to violence, fight, etc.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Oct-2019

Yarn Bowls

Yarn BowlsYarn bowls #54, #55, and #56 ready to go to gallery night!These are mahogany and maple … each is about 6-1/2” in diameter with a floating base.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Oct-2019

Mushrooms

MushroomsMushrooms for spring craft shows … these were turned from branches from a downed maple tree.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Oct-2019

Need A Toothpick?

Need A Toothpick?Some inventory for upcoming craft shows … these are a great way to use up scraps!These are based on a project by Dennis Belcher, which appeared in the August 2019 edition of the American Woodturner, the journal of the American Association of Woodturners.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Oct-2019

Squeeze box

Squeeze boxRemember the song from “The Who – Squeeze box?” This ain't like that. I was browsing the antiques on craigslist and saw a little accordion humidor. It got me thinking.It took about 10 weeks from idea to finished project. The 1st few days were just wondering if I could do it, a few more to figure out how, set dimensions and come up with a plan. That changed along the way. I built a mockup in bb ply to check proportions, and later another in MDF to check joinery. That's something I'm doing more and helps me make decisions. I can make mistakes in plywood and MDF and hopefully not the finished project. Hopefully.I only got to buy 1 new tool for this, a 45 degree chamfer router bit.
I did make a total of 13 jigs, jig attachments, templates, glueup forms, tall drill press fence, router table fence inserts and a small parts crosscut sled.I don't know what all the woods are that I used. The white wood is Aspen, the brown wood is I think wenge, and my guess on the red wood is ribbon mahogany. That red wood is harder than Chinese arithmetic, and easily burns on the tablesaw and router table. If you know what they are I'm all ears. The black keys are something else I don't know.The bottom of the top box is the top of the middle box, and the bottom of the middle box is the top of the bottom box. That made me think of that old Paul Simon song.It has cute little feet.
The top box is the smallest inside, but still big enough. The bottom is attached with rare earth magnets. A secret compartment.Brass spiral nails are glued in and predrilled to reinforce the miter joints.The box is 5” wide x 5” tall x 8” long. The keyboard brings it up to 8” tall.Minwax Aerosol Lacquer Semi – Gloss

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Oct-2019

Office Shelves

Office ShelvesOffice shelves made of Oak with a butcher block top shelf. Really enjoyed making these. First time doing dados with a router. Have always used dado blades on the table Saw. Good thing I practiced on scrap wood though. Have to take much smaller cuts than I thought. My first dados simply were a mess. However the ones on the actual shelves are very close and worked perfect. Wife wanted it unstained which was wonderful because I am a little sick of dark stained Oak at this point. Well I hope y'all like them. But most important is that the wife loves them.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Oct-2019