September 2019

I Like This Wish It Was My Idea

I Like This Wish It Was My IdeaOkay, not really, not my idea, but I didn't come up with it. I saw it in an email I subscribe to from “Wood Magazine” on “Woodworking Tips and Ideas” or something like that. Anyway, a while back I did some upgrades to my table saw to mainly make it safer and more convenient to use. It included making a new fence rail for it because I added an extension to the right side of the saw. The fence rail is a piece of 2” x 3” steel tube. The original rail had plastic covers to cover the ends of the tube, but they did not fit my new rail. This Tip from Wood Mag. was perfect. Make a little slide out drawer that fits into the tube. It is a nice little pencil box…. I am always looking for a pencil when I am using the saw….. I love this!!Now I will make one for the other end. It will hold my tools I need to change my zero clearance inserts, splitters and blade on the table saw..

posted at: 12:02am on 22-Sep-2019

Walnut and Copper Beer Caddy

Walnut and Copper Beer CaddyI build this walnut and copper beer caddy for a beer enthusiast neighbor who did my son a big favor. Fun, easy project.I've uploaded a build video here:https://youtu.be/7x_NxMMkKYIThanks for looking.Cheers,Paul

posted at: 12:02am on 22-Sep-2019

Cherry Twin Size Bed

Cherry Twin Size BedTwin size cherry bed used dominos and pocket screws for the bed rail mounting. Only glued one side of the biscuit so the bed can be broken down if need be. Finished with danish oil. Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:02am on 22-Sep-2019

Lonely Walnut Bowl

Lonely Walnut BowlI made this bowl for my friend Roger, the wood cutter. He is always cutting trees up into firewood and he saved 8 walnut logs for me so I made this out of the first ones I processed. I made 8 bowl blanks out of 2 logs and I turned this one right away and it warped but did not crack. It is 5 3/4” x 6” and 2 1/2” high. It is finished with Danish oil and clear lacquer and then buffed and waxed.I call it the lonely bowl because I took 7 blanks to school and none of the kids touched them for 3 days and they all cracked so I scrapped them all. From now on I'll rough out 4 bowls right way and then take them to school after they dry a bit. I wanted them to get the feeling of cutting green wood instead of that dry stuff they use all the time.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Sep-2019

Carving Calligraphy

Carving CalligraphyThis is one project I started last year and now finished as I am preparing to attend a craft fair next month.
The letters and frame parts are hand carved walnut and cherry and the backer board is poplar. I like the color combination and plan on using it on other projects. To darken the walnut I used Beliens walnut wood filler, then I finished the letters with 1 coat of shellac, detailed sanded, then oiled with linseed and then waxed with beeswax/linseed mix.
The backer board is unfinished.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Sep-2019

Carved Wood Bowl

Carved Wood BowlThis is a bowl I carved in 1965 in wood shop class, when I was 13. The bottom is mahogany, the top is (I think) white pine. Finished with nitrocellulose lacquer that has yellowed beautifully in the intervening 54 years. The outside was band saw cut and the inside of course took some chisels. I'll be dogged if I could tell anyone anything about those chisels, though! It has a few dents in it, due to having been used a bit.ETA: A side view, though it's a bit dark.

posted at: 12:00am on 21-Sep-2019

Another Mug

Another MugI made this mug and pen out of Zebrawood for my niece which is her favorite wood. It's finished with epoxy inside and out.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Sep-2019

Chess table

Chess tableEnd grain chessboard, Purple Heart and white oak board routered into a butcher block slab. Base is poplar stained dark and slab with board is coated with linseed oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Sep-2019

A Bowl

A Bowl4699 4691 4700 4690 4696 4692A bit of my Silver Maple.This Thing was on my lathe for more than week. I hate it when that happens. I got so hung up about the finishing, because I had so much trouble sanding it to my liking. It happens a lot. Even with pens, sometimes.Anyhow, I finished it today. Just now.And, another thing. I mixed some of thisinto WOP, on the outside. I really expected to see more pearlescence in it. It says right there on the jars, “Pearlex.” And it looked very Pearly mixed into the WOP. I don't know. Maybe I'll try it with resin, sometime. Something to do with the suspension of the pearly stuff in the vehicle, I'm thinking. I finished the inside and the bottom by simply sanding to 600, and hitting it with YG.For all the disappointment I feel in the finish, still, you gotta dig that spalting, huh?And, here's what else I did.Yeah. I signed it. For what it's worth.Thank you. And, I apologize.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Sep-2019

Toy wooden block hauler

Toy wooden block haulerA little recreational woodworking. We're having a one year old spend the weekend with us. I made wooden toys for his father (my nephew) when he was a kid, so I thought I'd revive the tradition. Primarily made of 1/2” alder, with a mahogany cab, padouk wheels and a dozen 2” birch blocks. The truck is finished with Deft Semi-Gloss lacquer. The blocks with General Finishes Wood Bowl Finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Sep-2019

Walnut Roubo Workbench

Walnut Roubo WorkbenchHi, this is my recently completed walnut roubo workbench. I didn't originally plan on making a workbench out of such extravagant wood, but i got lucky. I happened across a craigslist post for a few old walnut beams. When I went out to see them they were in pretty rough condition, having sat outside under tin for a few decades. I took a chance and in the end they cleaned up well and for a price less than what i'd spend on a comparable ash or maple bench. I did have to epoxy a few major checks and dig out enough nails and lag screws to build a small treehouse but that was part of the fun.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Sep-2019

Commissioned Chess Boards I've made over the last year

Commissioned Chess Boards I've made over the last yearIt's been awhile since I posted on here, so I've uploaded 6 projects at once. Found a nice little niche market sort of for chess boards. All but one of these were commissioned for me to make for someone. The collaboration process is kind of fun. I welcome all constructive feedback y'all can give, as I'm always trying to improve on things.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Sep-2019

Inspired

InspiredWhile cruising around on Sunday, I came across this plain, but really nice, 1955 Chevy 210 model. I was “driven” to make something.Woods: Western Red Cedar, White Oak and Cherry.Backer: Luaun plywood.Frame: Poplar.Finish: Natural Danish Oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Sep-2019

Views in the new shop

Views in the new shopFinally getting it together; it only took a year, but there were other priorities.Got the cabinets finished and installed, clamps hung, everything out of the boxes. Still need to get the lathe assembled and a stand built for it.Great environment; AC and heat which were missing in the previous shop. Have a sink (!!) that supports a coffee pot. Epoxy floor. 2 closets.Plenty of light with 12 4000 lumen fixtures – 48,000 lumens !! Its bright!Ready to make sawdust!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Sep-2019

Cedar Tatami bed

Cedar Tatami bedI'm brand new to woodworking (I'd only made one thing, a picture frame, prior to this project) so this was definitely a case of biting off more than I could chew. Not only in terms of skills required, but also in terms of overall time to complete. I worked on this thing every spare minute I had for around 5 weeks. I estimate roughly 60 hours of effort. At times it really felt like it would never end. Not what I expected with my I was putting together this “simple” design! I had long term plans to build a fancier bed, but the arrival (or probably more accurately, the first sighting) of some brown recluse spiders in my house suddenly motivated me to stop sleeping on the floor :) The concept was to make a bed with cedar lumber that I could get at the local big box the same day (because you know, this should be a 4-5 hour project tops so I can't possibly wait a few days to get lumber from out of town). I also wanted to avoid using any fasteners or glue. At this point I'm not even sure why I wanted to avoid fasteners, as it should have been obvious to me that this contradicted my “quick and easy” goals.Anyway, in the end it was a great learning opportunity. I enjoyed using a marking knife and gauge for the first time, the precision is really appeals to my OCD. Unfortunately, the 2×8's cupped on me halfway through the project so all my early attempts and producing zero-gap joints ended up with me doing hours of chiseling and sanding to allow things to actually fit together. In the end, everything fits very snugly and requires some gentle mallet nudges, but there are still visible gaps. Kind of weird, but I'm 16” above the spiders now and that's what really counts ;)I also really enjoyed using a Japanese saw for the first time. My table saw couldn't cut deep enough for notching the 6×6 timbers, but it produced a great guide to allow the saw to track the remainder of the line nicely. And the Dewalt planer really impressed me with how quickly it turned those fuzzy 6×6s into smooth-as-glass 5.75×5.75s. Can't imagine trying to do that by hand!I finished it with Watco Danish oil and let it cure for about 5 days before moving it into my room. Still kind of stinks but hopefully it's past the toxic off-gassing stage at this point. Feels really good to have it done and surprisingly I'm ok with its flaws (I'm sure in the future I'll be less tolerant of such things, but for now it's easy to justify as necessary to learning).Thanks for looking!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Sep-2019

How to Make a Disc Sander- DIY 12 inch Disc Sander

How to Make a Disc Sander- DIY 12 inch Disc SanderVideo making the disc sander.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Sep-2019

Tv wall unit

Tv wall unitTv wall unit made from plans in wood magazine. The plans had barn doors but we opted for no doors because we wanted the shelves to show all the time. I just made some trim for the top to change it a bit. The plans also used oak which would have been nice. I used pine, plywood and varathane kona gel stain.
This is a nice project and budget friendly with wood we chose compared to the price for a wall unit this size.
Happy building!!

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Sep-2019

Compact router table

Compact router tableI built a compact router table for my Bosch trim router. The plans are from Woodsmith shop using 1/2” Baltic Birch plywood. I saw them build it on their tv show so I thought about giving it a try. I made my own knobs for the t-track bolts. It works well and folds up to make it very compact. It supplies space for storage of the router bits and fence.

posted at: 12:00am on 17-Sep-2019

Moxon Vise on the cheap

Moxon Vise on the cheapI was wanting to learn how to make dovetail joints and get some practice. I asked LJ what type of vise would fit my basic workbench and that is where I first heard of a Moxon Vise. Not wanting to invest a huge amount of money on a learning project I settled on the following. All ideas are from others and none are my own but it worked out.Two Gold's Gym dumbbells $7.95 ea.
One nice maple board $65.00
A couple of 2×8 frome Depot $ ???(not much)
Four 3/4” bench dogs from Woodcraft $15 (I can't remember if that is per pair)Anyway I had gotten a jointer on the cheap $150 and was itching to try out my new planer so I gave it a go. Finished it today and only have two unfinished items. 1) Cut a bevel between the two dog holes on the front jaw to make room for the saw on half blind dovetails. 2) what finish if any to put on it (seeking input here).Thank to all for the suggestions here at LJ on this project….my first!

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Sep-2019

Stiletto Band Saw Box

Stiletto Band Saw BoxI enjoyed making this Stiletto shoe band saw box. My own design. It's about 5 inches high and made from cedar and maple, and walnut drawer fronts.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Sep-2019

Comments:

Display case for my wooden models

Display case for my wooden models Gents, it has been a long time since I posted anything so this should make up for lost time. I decided to make a cabinet for all my models (my daughter calls them my tonka toys). The cabinet is made out of pine 3/4” boards with piano hinges on the doors. The size is 8' long and 54” tall. I used 1/4” plexi glass for the doors and side windows. Each shelf is a different height by 1 to 2”. Then I used my harbor freight hvlp gun and sprayed it with 4 coats of high gloss polyurethane and sanded with 320 grit in between coats. I have plenty of room for more tonka toys. Lol. Well enjoy the pictures and tell me what you think.

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Sep-2019

New Cabinet for my SawStop

New Cabinet for my SawStopI made a cabinet from Baltic Birch to hold my SawStop JobSite saw. It was always my intent to eventually go to a cabinet, and I probably should have just bought one of the bigger saws, but that isn't how it worked out. I bought an Incra table saw fence many years ago from member Loren, and finally put it to use on this cabinet. I also welded up a structure to hold the fence, and aligned it to the saw. I can cut a piece of wood and have it within .001” from one end to the other, for the distance I will ever use (about 2 feet). This freed up enough floor space in my minuscule “shop” space that I could almost get the entire structure in the picture with my cell phone. First project off this setup forthcoming.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Sep-2019

Trophy Buck Wall Clock

Trophy Buck Wall ClockPattern is from the Complete Guide to Making Wooden Clocks (3rd Edition). The clock is made from cherry and Baltic birch plywood. The clock mechanism is from Klockit.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Sep-2019

Coffee Filter Box

Coffee Filter BoxOK, cheesy, but what the hay. I wanted to make a box to hold the filters for my little coffee maker using my new saw cabinet setup, instead of leaving them on the counter in the plastic bag. Red oak cut in a large box joint “ala Greene and Greene”. The bottom of the box is a piece of 1/8” Baltic Birch plywood. Finished with Minwax “Golden Oak” stain and Minwax water based spar varnish. I WAS going to use amber shellac spray, but it doesn't appear to be available here in my town. I finished it before assembling it, and had to put it together with clamps due to there being an interference fit with the parts. I guess that's an Incra precision issue, which I'll keep in mind for next time. The edges are just chamfered, as I was trying for a pretty rustic look, so what appears to be gaps where the pieces join are just chamfers. It's tight as a drum at the joints. The handle for the lid is a simple drawer pull from LOWES.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Sep-2019

Comments:

Rainbow poplar and African black wood

Rainbow poplar and African black woodI didn't feel like making a tenon so I left the blank on the screw chuck and turned away. 5.5 inch wide and about seven inches to top of finial.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Sep-2019

Comments:

Curly walnut and resin end table

Curly walnut and resin end tableHad a gnarly piece of walnut laying around for quite some time so I finally decided to use it for a little end table.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Sep-2019

Walnut Saw Blade Table

Walnut Saw Blade TableI picked up this 36” wide industrial lumbermill sawblade in rural Oregon two years ago with the general theory of making some kind of table. The ideas were percolating, just waiting for the right time and impetus. Walnut seemed the right choice. The blade is embedded in the wood. Steel screws were placed in the table leg edges and heads ground down to appear worn. I kept the steel blade raw and untreated, hoping to emphasize its rough texture and rust against the polished, smooth wood. The legs are meant to mimic the shape of the saw teeth. This table will join five other items I made in a local art museum exhibit. Special thanks to friend Nick for his CNC mad skills.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Sep-2019

Figured Maple bowl

Figured Maple bowlI picked up this piece of heavily figured maple In Portland, Oregon about four years ago and finally turned something out of it. It has a lot of curl and burliness to it. I stupidly paid by the pound. I probably brought the circular piece of wood down to about 1/4 of its original size. The inside got pretty deep and was narrow so that made things start to catch on the inside. It is quite beautiful though. Finished it with wax and oil.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Sep-2019

TV table

TV tableMade this for my son. He needed a table for his TV and storage for 5 feet of DVDs. The doors slide out and each have 3 shelves; top shelf is fixed in place but the bottom two shelves slide out to make reading the titles easier. And there's some hidden storage behind each of the doors.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Sep-2019

TV Table (opened up)

TV Table (opened up)Here is the TV table opened up to show the movable shelves for DVD storage.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Sep-2019

DIY Cornhole Boards

DIY Cornhole BoardsBuilding these popular DIY cornhole boards was a lot of fun and it only took few hours to make. Staining and painting probably took longer than building it. Our kids love playing it, although they don't necessarily follow the rules and just make up their own.Most of the cornhole set you buy on Amazon are made from plywood. I used plywood to make it sturdier and so that bags would not bounce up when hitting the board. Also, knowing my 8 year old son, after he gets bored playing cornhole, he'll make a bike ramp out of it. So in my case, the boards need to withstand the bikes as well.Also, if anyone is interested in scoreboard for the game, I have free plans available too.Visit our website for more info and printable PDF download TheDIYPlan

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Sep-2019

The General

The GeneralI really like the look and feel of the General, it has a longer better shaped boiler to my eye.
Was a fun build, made with birch and a touch a oak.
I used Narm Marshall's toy book plans to get the shape then went off and used a little Toys and Joys and the General at Gatto is in there too.
Always have fun filling the cab with doodads, following the ideas I got from Ducky. :=]

The blog is here.

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Sep-2019

Toddler Beds

Toddler BedsMy twin grandchildren have turn 3 years old and needed a change to their cribs. So I finished step two to the crib design and made the changeable front to make toddler beds. I think they turned out pretty nice.

posted at: 12:01am on 12-Sep-2019

Quickie fireplace

Quickie fireplace4”x12” white oak timber mantel with simple flat panel surround.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Sep-2019

Drunking Cutting Boards

Drunking Cutting BoardsHave been looking at some Drunken Cutting Boards by some of our LJs, ( Most recently Salty and BobWemm ), and decided to give it a try. These are more difficult than my usual ones which made them a good challenge. I had some scrap Walnut and some Maple that had a lot of grain character, so decided on these. Kept them pretty simple for my first time but plan on doing others with more pieces etc. They are 12 X 16 inches and 3/4 inches thick. Treated with Mineral Oil and Bee Wax mixture.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Sep-2019

Out feed / Work table

Out feed / Work tableRecently replaced my cabinet saw with a FELDER sliding table saw and needed to build a new outfeed table. Decided I wanted it to be a multi-purpose table that would incorporate storage of many of my Festool Systainers. I am very pleased with how it turned out as the design was ever changing as I built it.

posted at: 12:00am on 11-Sep-2019

3 Piece Shop Sign

3 Piece Shop SignMy neighbor is the maintenance supervisor at Allaire State Park and brought me some 4/4 rough sawn oak so I cut, planed and carved out the letters with my Rockler letter templates then filled the letters with yellow tinted epoxy, I also carved out recesses for the patches then coated them with more clear epoxy.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Sep-2019

Scrapwood awl

Scrapwood awlThis tool making is getting to be quite fun. I decided to make an awl for a friend of mine. I had some left over scraps from the Mallet Swap and glued up a blank and turned this one for him

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Sep-2019

Lathe Stand

Lathe StandNeeded a stand for a new lathe. The legs are angled in at 5 degrees with storage on the front, sides and back. The gap in the top shelf is to allow the lathe motor to breathe.

posted at: 12:00am on 10-Sep-2019

Outdoor T.V. Enclosure

Outdoor T.V. EnclosureI was asked to build an enclosure for a outdoor T.V. Little dark on the stain however still came out well. Calculating the gas shocks size and pressure needed was a challenge. I also Googled some information on standard screen sizes and went up by two sizes.All in all I think it came out well.Built with 2×4 and 2×6's with a tongue and grove bit set.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Sep-2019

Outdoor Barn Style Doors

Outdoor Barn Style DoorsI was asked to build some doors for an outdoor patio bar and grill area. The costumer wanted them red and distressed for aged look. Made from 1×4 and 1×12 with tong and grove.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Sep-2019

Comments:

Back at making more frames

Back at making more framesI enjoy making frames – the challenge of the miters along with the ability to complete in a shorter time span (compared to big furniture type projects) is nice. Plus frames make nice gifts. First three were for here at home. Last couple are for others. All are walnut. They all have keyhole slots for hanging.Well, except for the small one where I used some corners to make a stand (miters were beyond a challenge so glue helped to fill in the gaps)Edit: one more – this one is from hickory

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Sep-2019

Electric Oreo

Electric Oreo Having a lot of fun building home made string instruments generically referred to as cigar box guitars. Others have used the Oreo design on small projects. I decided to upsize it to make a body for this four string electric guitar. Used a cNc to make the body.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Sep-2019

Mailbox

MailboxWe replaced our dilapidated, plastic mailbox with this handmade version.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Sep-2019

Pew Repurpose restoral

Pew Repurpose restoralThis was a 50 year old pew which was 9' long and I fully disassembled and wanted to remove all the white paint. I also wanted to reshape the end sections and place a rounded look on the back. After cutting the edges and lots of sanding and removing over 100 material staples it was ready for reassembly and staining.The before picture is picture four above which was at start of disassembly …My wife selected old mahogany stain and it gave it an old look. Will try to insert some of the build pics also …...

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Sep-2019

Intarsia Rooster Weathervane

Intarsia Rooster Weathervane Meet my funky Intarsia Rooster Weathervane! You can read the blog (complete with photos) depicting the 'idiosyncrasies of funky' … from its inception back in April of 2017 to fruition!!Thanks for taking a peek!

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Sep-2019

Mortising machine modification

Mortising machine modificationI modified my benchtop mortising machine to make it a little more user friendly. I added a cross slide vise to the base, and did away with the finicky work holding setup that came with the machine. Since the vise raised the height at which the workpiece is held, I had to add a spacer block between the base and the upright to ensure proper clearance. Since my mods were made out of baltic birch plyWOOD, I guess this “project” qualifies to be posted here. I want to say that this was not my own brilliant idea. It was a tip sent in to Fine Woodworking by a subscriber (John Jory), and published in their February 2005 issue. The cross slide vise I used is a super cheap Chinese POS, but it is adequate for the purpose. If I were doing a lot of mortising, I would probably invest in a better model vise, or maybe even a floor stand mortiser. But for my hobby shop, this is really enough.

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Sep-2019

New 7 layers scroll saw pattern

New 7 layers scroll saw patternMy last 7 layers scroll saw pattern
Size 21*21 cm
Pattern link here
https://www.etsy.com/listing/734616521#egwoodmade pattern
After finishing it I get an idea to paint it with rainbow colours so I will make another one
And finish it with rainbow colours

posted at: 12:00am on 07-Sep-2019

Comments:

Push blocks for the jointer

Push blocks for the jointerThese push blocks are easy to make, 3.5×6 and 4×12, with the handles glued on and a cleat glued to the bottom of the long one. Then I glued some carpet pad to the bottom of the small one.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Sep-2019

Pillar and Scroll Clock

Pillar and Scroll ClockThis is a reproduction Eli Terry – Pillar and Scroll Clock. The case is new and the original wooden movement and dial date back to the early 1820's. The tablet is “Emoglise” painted or reverse painted with a gold leaf boarder. Wood for the case is Sapelle from South America which closely simulates old growth Mahogany.
The last picture shows the wooden movement.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Sep-2019

Swivel & fold dining table

Swivel & fold dining tableA friend gave me a few rough cut boards of red oak, so I need to find something to do with them. I didn't need another table, but decided I would try building this one. The most part the construction is simple, it took a little think to establish the swivel point and where to locate the stops. The most difficult part of the construction was the mortising of the 4 Soss hinges. I cooked up a couple of simple templates that helped, but if I was doing it again I would spend more time making better templates.It turned out that my son needed a new kitchen table just as I finished it, so the table quickly found a home.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Sep-2019

Aromatic cedar chest

Aromatic cedar chestI have built several of these, just finished this one for my friends granddaughter. Engraved her name in the lid with my xcarve cnc machine using a 60 degree bit. Love making these if for nothing else but the aroma you get when working with cedar.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Sep-2019

Mini Foot Locker

Mini Foot LockerMade a jig just to do these box corners. for the box and tray.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Sep-2019

Bandsaw box

Bandsaw boxLove making these. Never make the same one twice.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Sep-2019

Comments:

White oak live edge table and bench

White oak live edge table and benchI really enjoy working with live edge lumber. My son is buying his first house I built this for his kitchen hopefully for years of use.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Sep-2019

Fractal Figure Plaque

Fractal Figure PlaqueThis is a gift for the retired dentist that sold me all the walnut of my upcoming projects.
He had never heard of fractal burning on wood so I thought I'd give him a sample on piece of his walnut that was a cut off from one of the boards.It is 3/4” thick and 4 1/2” x 10” and finished with satin lacquer. The fractal pattern was inlaid with turquoise paint because it is too dark to show up on walnut…like you can see on the back of the board.cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Sep-2019

Purple Heart, Ambrosia maple and Cherry end table

Purple Heart, Ambrosia maple and Cherry end tableThe top is Purple Heart, legs are cherry and the bracing is ambrosia maple. 2 coats of clear poly for the finish.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Sep-2019

Comments:

Teenage Grandaughter's Dream & Will You Build it "Grandpaw"

Teenage Grandaughter's Dream & Will You Build it "Grandpaw"My granddaughter Jaylen wanted a framed mirror with shelves on each side to dance in front of, sit and put makeup on, and store girl stuff. This is what I came up with: sides are made out of 3/4” furniture grade plywood, Poplar shelves mounted in dato's, 3/4” MDF mirror frame, trimmed in Poplar, put together with pocket hole screws and painted white. It's a little over around 5' tall. Mounted to the wall in 3 sections and then trimmed out as 1 unit.She had a sleep over Friday night and my daughter would occasionally go in and check on them and found all 5 in one form or another looking, dancing, talking, brushing, smiling, laughing, giggling in the mirror all night. Thats teenagers for you, as for me, I still don't know who that old bald guy is who keeps looking back in the mirror. You and I both know this project isn't a masterpiece, but my Granddaughter thinks it is, and that's what makes the old man happy.Thanks for looking, Joe

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Sep-2019

Honey Do's

Honey Do'sNo marquetry here. These are a couple of Q&D pergolas that I built for my beloved's yard makeover project. The pergolas themselves are just pressure treated material but the gates are really nice yellow cedar. My shop still smells great.
The sign is an old one that I carved for our previous gate years ago with new paint and gold leaf (artificial).Thanks for looking.Paul

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Sep-2019

Red Cedar Bowls

Red Cedar BowlsTwo bowls from a Red Cedar Burl. Finished with boiled linseed oil and wipe on poly. 10.25” D X 4.5” H. The cored bowl is 8” D X 2.75” H.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Sep-2019

Farmhouse Table

Farmhouse TableI made the table using 2×8 yellow pine. I used a friend's festool domino to make the glue up go smoother. The stain is Watco Dark Walnut and finish is minwax wipe on poly satin. I used dominos and dowels to attach the breadboard ends. I enlongated the holes on the outside for the dowels to allow for wood movement.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Sep-2019

Standing Cabinet

Standing CabinetI always wanted to build a Krenov-style standing cabinet but needed something larger for practical storage. The carcase is 3/4 birch plywood with a PSA-backed ash veneer and trimmed with 1/4 walnut. The doors are 3/4 walnut, assembled with pocket screws, with 1/4 plywood panels finished with ash veneer. I constructed the base with mortises made with a plunge router and my homemade mortising jig and loose tenons. I glued up some of the 22 degree waste pieces from the crown to make the door handles, gave them a nice flare. I had a little snafu with the veneer though. I have used PSA-backed peel and stick veneer multiple times but for some reason this time it bubbled up (probably because I did not apply a sealer first). Since I had already applied the trim, I ended up using a router and flat bit to skim off the veneer and glued in panels of 1/8 HDF with new veneer. Overall I very happy with the proportions of this piece and how it turned out.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Sep-2019

Multi-Media/Video Cabinet

Multi-Media/Video Cabinet Mrs. Fleamo wanted a new TV stand/cabinet for our family room. She bought me a nice HD 70 last Christmas so I had to oblige. She wanted to hide the shiny black speakers since we only use them for movies and they collect dust like some woodworkers collect planes. The faux drawers are held in by rare earth magnets. All home made with the exception of the fasteners, hinges and hardware.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Sep-2019

Whistle and Rings

Whistle and RingsWe were given a piece of hollow African Blackwood, at our wood turning guild , and a challenge for next month to see what we could make out of it. It was a little over 1” in diameter and about 9” long.
I drilled it out to 5/8 and glued in a dowel and made a whistle out of it for my great granddaughter. I used a flat piece of African Blackwood for the cap and piece of cherry for the mouthpiece. It works but the three notes are not as good as they should be. I need to learn more about whistle making.The whistle is 6 1/2” long and the 3 1/4” holes are 3 1/2”, 4 1/2” and 5 1/2” deep.
It is finished with EEE and ShellawaxI had a piece left over so I turned 6 rings of various sizes from it. They are also finished with EEE and Shellawax.Cheers, Jim

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Sep-2019

Forest Fossils

Forest Fossils Butternut Burl standing 54 inches tall and 3 inches thick at the base and 1.75 at the edges near the Ammonite
terabyte wood burned on one side and a fish on the other near the bottom. The Ammonite took a month to program and put into the cnc . I worked with a young man on on the cnc Did 4 prototypes on mdf to get the position we wanted .C and C welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Sep-2019

Two Axis Turned Maple Winged Bowl

Two Axis Turned Maple Winged BowlThis is a last piece of the branch from my daughter's tree. I turned it in the style of Rudy Lopez.
All the sanding had to be done off the lathe.
It is maple and finished with Danish oil and 3 stage buffed and waxed.Cheers, JimHere is a link to how I did it.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Sep-2019