My attempt at the Arts and Crafts bed, plans from Wood Magazine. It is the king size version in QSWO. The finish is mostly Jewett's Stickley Aurora recipe. One minor deviation from the plans…The plans call for buying a center support for the king size bed to prevent the slats/box springs from sagging in the middle due to the large width. It was a bit pricey for what it is and it apparently only supports one slat. Instead, I just built a rectangle out of 2×4's which just sits on the floor under the center of the bed. It supports the center 3 slats. It is visible in the pic with the happy client (my wife). A couple things I learned: 1)A King sized bed is huge, and heavy. Milling lumber that long and thick presents a few challenges. Fortunately I had a couple roller stands to help with the jointing and planing. 2) It is challenging to find QSWO of the necessary width (and grain) for some of the wider boards due to the nature of how the quarter logs are milled. I used a flat sawn board for the lower horizontal of the head board since it wont be visible. It was a lot of work but hopefully it will be worth it every time I sack out after a long day…...FOOTNOTE: I shared pictures of the bed with my elderly uncle and we were both quite surprised because as it turns out, he built the exact same bed in Queen size several years ago.
I got an order for a seam ripper at the last show so I bought 5 kits and used some different woods for a display at the next show. These are double ended rippers with a large and small cutter that reverse and store inside for safety. I used olive , pistachio, osage orange and 2 are rosewood they are finished with EEE polish and Shellawax
I finished this board earlier this week. It's a little tweak on other piano boards I have seen. It is made with Maple, Cherry, and Walnut.I have to thank JL7 for all the math he did (and then shared) of his piano boardsYears ago I took what I learned from JL7 and started milling my lumber into enough blanks to make three piano boards. I had a lot to learn and this project taught me a whole lot about accuracy and checking my tools for square. I got so frustrated that I put the blanks in a box and it sat on a shelf until last week. I found the box and decided to give it another go. I was able to salvage enough usable blanks to make this board. I'm grateful for the lessons and I'm glad I didn't totally throw the project out because I think it's my most favorite piece that I've made.