A friend had asked me to make a box for an old bible she had. This did go on for some time until I said bring it over and I will have a look and take some measurements. Me thinking this would be a small task that would not take long. The small task idea faded very quickly when she brought it over. It measures 340mmX290mmX140mm (13.4”X11.4”X5.5”). It's very heavy and in poor condition externally but a treasure seeing it's an 1878 edition. ;I couldn't justify a plywood case for such an item. I ended up with a board 2.4mX200mmX25mm (7'10”X7.9”X1”) of Malaysian mahogany (Melurak) from Trend Timbers. This is a hardwood but nice to work with. I Boxed the joints.
and the lid was in two parts, joined using biscuits. I dado'd a cross into the lid & and cut cedar strips to fit the slots. The centre ended up a problem because the glue grabbed the strips before they could fit in the perfect mitres I had cut. Anyway the circle was added to cover the error. Lesson learned. Because the bible is heavy I did away with the idea of a hinged lid. I ended up making a fitted lid to lay the bible on (while the lid was upside down) & place the box over it, clamp the lid to the box and turn it upright.
Commission from a local small business for 6 keep-sake letter sized boxes in six different woods. Matching inlay banding on bevel topped shop-sawn veneer tops. Satisfying job, making one-of-a-king objects at an affordable price for the client. Cherry, birds-eye maple, walnut, curly soft maple, sapele, and spalted hard maple, with ebony inlay.
Made this piano bench for my daughter who started taking lessons. The top and legs are made from reclaimed black locust from a bridge in Brooklyn. Tried something a little different to attach the legs. Used sliding dovetails instead of m&t.