You could also call this my first attempt at making solid wood bowls. Its possibly not of a sale able standard standard but its my best effort. The timber is an Australian hardwood of the Eucalyptus Species possibly from its features Yellow Stringy Bark. I used a variety of methods in its construction some not quite the right way to do it but managed to produce an acceptable resultThe construction was not without problems many of which I detailed in the Construction blog by the same name I made my own template and profiled the edges of the material before making the actual bowl this is a bit incorrect as it removes any fixing areas.The template. To make my own template I used LBD's wheel sanding jig and it allowed me to make the very accurate template you see. I hindsiight your are possibly better off buying an off the shelf one and matching the timber to it.In the production of the bowl I managed to total two router bits, mainly due to incorrect process.Finishing the bowl this takes quite a lot of effort to obtain the finished result you see.It was a real learning experience for me and I was reasonable happy with the result Summed up in a few words.From the raw materials, thicknessing Routing profiling and then sanding from 180 to 320 grit finishing with Gill's Carnauba wax polish.Whats the cut in the side? Its a chain saw mark from when Grant cut the timber, its left for a talking point when its deliveredIf you dont know already it produces a massive amount of waste.Also its not recommended to use it in the garden See Mark Wilsons comment in the blog.
We use the dinette area in our RV as a bed at night, and my kid grew tired of having to pull it all apart to set it up…. so I replaced the “standard” rv table that was there with this dropleaf/gaslift version. Now we can raise/lower the table without having to remove any cushions at all… and it makes things A LOT easier.Some lessons to pass along:—Always eager to try “new” wood, I made this out of thermally modified Ash. Huge mistake. The wood is so dry and brittle that if you look at it sideways it will split. I ended up reinforcing the whole underside of the table with plywood—and I suspect I will need to replace the tabletop in a year or two regardless.—I got an HVLP sprayer years ago and for some reason was too intimidated to use it. Since I was already down the road to ruin with my wood selection, I figured damn the torpedoes and figured I'd spray this piece. I was stunned at how easy the process was—and what a great finish I got. Silly me for avoiding it for so long.I sprayed this with General Finishes High Performance, dumped straight (no dilution) into my Earlex 5000, 1.5 tip. Easy peasy!
A while back I was hired by a couple to design and help build this spiral stair case. It turned out great. I only have one picture of it to share that was taken during the process of building it. They loved it and it turned out well. It was kept simple because no one had much money. But she cooked well and they were a great couple. The curved wood was cut into thin strips bundled up and thrown into the Kalamazoo River for a week to soften it up. Many strips were cut and several did not survive the bending. But we planned for that and it went well. Never needed more clamps than I did on this job.