April 2019

Chess Board with Drawer

Chess Board with DrawerThis chessboard is based off of a design from Volume 22 / Number 132 (December 2000) of a Woodsmith magazine. I changed the squares to 2-1/4. Made of walnut and hard maple. I made the inlay myself. The dark stripes in it are a rosewood veneer. I chose the rosewood because its what I had laying around. I donated this project for a dinner auction that benefited my kids school. I did not make the pieces…I'm not much of a carver.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2019

Mallets

MalletsMy youngest brother the only one of 6 kids to stay on the family farm was cleaning some fence rows and offered me some osage orange (I had previously asked for some of this extreemly hard wood if he ever came across some. I took an 8 foot log and 2 pieces about 2 foot long and 16 inches in diameter. Sealed the ends.

A couple of months late with some difficulty split one piece in half with sledge and wedge. Wedge kept bouncing out with each strike – frustrating but humerous! This was the smaller half:

Made a simple jig to hold the larger half as I cut it up on a band saw.

Resulting in 2 nice blanks for mallet heads and a bunch of scraps for future projects:

Cut up some red oak for handles using table saw to create the tenons and then rough shaped the handles on the bandsaw:

Then further shaped the handles on belt sander and mostly a spindle sander:

Used bench top mortiser for each head and hand chiseled the top end about 1/8th wider along long axis, trimmed tenons to fit heads and used hand saw to create 2 kerfs in the handle tenons. Created some wedges from osage orange scraps. Sorry no photos on this part.
Glued each handle in head keeping glue below kerfs in handles:

When glue dried I hammered in the wedges spreading the handles into chiseled out area. The osage orange worked great as wedges!

Sanded handles using 120, 150, 180 grits. applied a coat of BLO. Wala – they were done.

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2019

Japanese Inspired Hallway Table

Japanese Inspired Hallway TableI built my wife a narrow hallway table so she can set her indoor plants on in front of our bay window. It is Japanese style inspired with the extra floating panel beneath the top. I was going to do through tenons on the legs but decided to go for a quicker build. Made out of solid and very heavy Brazilian Cherry. Finished with Sealcoat Shellac and then 4 coats of General Finishes Poly acrylic Satin.Comments and questions welcome! Thanks!

posted at: 12:00am on 20-Apr-2019

End Vise

End ViseBuilt this vise primarily to hold irregular shaped items. The fret filing and the small bit of chisel work on the banjo went quicker and easier with this setup. Vise is made from hem fir with “ultra-suede” jaw faces provided by my wife from her fabric collection – we will see how it wears. The 3/4 inch diameter acme threads with only 6 threads per inch spin freely for quick setup. The jaw opening is 3 1/2 inches, but the threaded rods can be pulled out another 2 inches if needed for a 5 1/2 inch opening.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2019

Bathroom shelf.

Bathroom shelf.This is (I believe) called a zen shelf I made via request from a family in South Carolina… Not sure what makes it “zen” but the looks is appealing. It was installed in their master bathroom. Wood is walnut.
Sorry, the picture is too fuzzy and I don't have another. Basically, the two shelves are tapered from the outside.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2019

Checkerboard box

Checkerboard boxAnother Andy style art box. This one was made for an old friend of mine. The 3/4 inch divit in the inside of the lid is for a 2019 penny. I like to put in a penny for the year it was made, but this time, it took a while to get ahold of a new penny. The wood is purpleheart and holly, and the inside boxes are maple. The monogrammed lid is held on with rare earth magnets.

posted at: 12:00am on 19-Apr-2019

Cigar Ash Tray

Cigar Ash TrayMahogany and maple cigar ash trays. Everything was done on a tablesaw, including the circular shape of the ash tray, as well as the bowl cut. Used a cross cut sled to cut the edges, then made a jig to rotate the piece over the saw blade to get the concave shape on the inside. It was the first time trying this technique and wasn't sure how it would work out, but I couldn't believe how easy it was and how well it worked.I used my drill press to spin the ash tray while I held sandpaper against it to get a smooth and even surface....and if you don't drill holes for the cigar holder, they make nice candy dishes!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Apr-2019

Jointer Stand

Jointer StandJust completed a stand for my recently completed bench top jointer. The entire frame work is constructed using 2×4's, held together by glue and pocket screws with 1/4 launan plywood inserts accented by 1.5 trim.The base dimensions are 38 L x 15 W x 24.5 H while the top measures 38 L x 15 W x 1.5 D.For a finish I painted the lower frame white and all of the trim and drawer pulls expresso brown, then finished all the plywood with a coat of gloss polyurethane.

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Apr-2019

New Life for an Old Knife

New Life for an Old KnifeMy favorite Chef's knife was ready for retirement…..the handle was disintegrating. I nursed it along for a while, and then decided to try to rehabilitate it. I had a piece of African teak...supposed to be water resistant….and a little time. The original handle was held in place by brass rivets, and I couldn't find any of those. Instead, I got brass machine screws and nuts from my local hardware guy, and they worked just fine. After sawing a kerf for the tang with my table saw and rounding over the edges on my router table, I carefully measured the locatiion of the hardware holes, drilled and then set the tang in place with epoxy. I let the brass hardware stand a bit proud and ground it down with my belt sander. The wood is treated to a few doses of mineral oil, and my baby is back in business. Very satisfying project!

posted at: 12:00am on 18-Apr-2019

cribbage board

cribbage boardI was digging through my scrap pile of walnut and found this board. i pulled it out and ran it through the planer a couple of times and it started screaming cribbbage board, make me a cribbage board, so i complied.Im trying a couple different things in some scrap wood to make a peg holder. i will post when i deided which way i choose.all coments welcome

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Apr-2019

Few more pens

Few more pensJust wanted to post a few pens I made recently!

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Apr-2019

Sliding lid box

Sliding lid boxFound some rare spalted maple at my supply store and figured cherry mixed with some regular cherry blanks. These are sliding lid jewelry boxes. They are about 2 inches tall and approx 5×7

posted at: 12:01am on 17-Apr-2019

Magic Wand - Wizards Unite

Magic Wand - Wizards UniteI took a little time away from my curent project to have a little fun in my shop. A new Harry Potter game is coming out soon and decided amongst other YouTube channels to make a Magic wand. Have a look and let me know what you think!My Little guy loves it!https://youtu.be/KLLymx1wm68

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2019

Nut Tray

Nut TrayNut tray turned from the same piece of recycled timber, you can see a similar pattern to the last platter 200 mm in diameter.Comments welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2019

Foliate 'Beardy' Viking

Foliate 'Beardy' VikingThis is cut from a pattern by Fiona Kingdon. She is a scroll artist, and I mean she “paints” with a scroll saw. She does it free hand, no pattern. She has made some patterns of some of her pieces. Her patterns require a lot of patients and attention because she is not a pattern maker. It is a privilege and challenge to cut them. This is the first of four or her patterns I have purchased. I unknowingly made it even more difficult for me by cutting it in quarter sawed Red Oak. I love to cut Oak, but will never cut “quarter sawed” again. It is worth viewing her work, whether your scroll or not. It is awesome!https://www.fionakingdon.com/2017/11/26/w4eb8iwmuyjttpvwcce4ya1t4oplqs

posted at: 12:00am on 16-Apr-2019

Bear light

Bear lightBuilt a bar in my basement and I needed to brighten up the area. So, I decided to create a light that could be hung up but still lend an artistic feature to the wildlife motif.

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Apr-2019

Aircraft Carrier Shadow Box

Aircraft Carrier Shadow BoxMy shipmate and friend is retiring from the US Navy in June after 35 years of service. We served together on the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN 71). He was the Flight Deck Office and I was the Air Bos'n. He asked me to make his shadow box and he wanted it in the shape of an aircraft carrier. He must have thought a garage full of tools equals talent and skill…I search the internet for ideas and came across a few posts on here. I reached out to one particular woodworker. He was generous and kind enough to answer me. Over the course of the build his tips and encouragement were most helpful and instrumental. Thanks Al!Bow to Stern she is 43-inches with a beam of 19-inches and 3-inches from the flight deck to the keel. There is a -inch rabbet on the bottom for the back and a 'flange' around the top for the glass. I started with a 12-foot 4/4 cherry board.She has 12 different miter angles. (The customer wanted symmetry.) Each piece has two different angles on each end. Needless to say, I measured and checked my angles SEVERAL times before turning on the saw.I was concerned during the whole build about the strength of the miters and all the handling the box would be subject toso I reinforced with dowels. My buddy liked the contrasting look, so I used birch dowels. I'm more confident now it will stand up to gentle handlingI think.I had the fantail engraved to match the fantail of the THEODORE ROOSEVELT circa 2008 when I was the Air Bos'n there. The Air Boss let me put the phrase on our round down in 5 inch letters.I used General Finishes satin water based topcoat (x4) and a coat of wax.Going to the class cutter tomorrow.I put a lot of self induced stress on myself because it was quite the challenge and an important build. Now that it is complete I am very relieved!!Thanks for looking.Ski

posted at: 12:00am on 15-Apr-2019

Comments:

MDF doors in the Cnc router

MDF doors in the Cnc routerI used my Cnc router to whip up some MDF cabinet doors. I then used Rocklers hinge cup Jig to drill the holes for the European Hinges. These are for a custom cabinet set for two bathrooms. If you are interested in following along, show a little love to my Lumberjocks page and follow me on Instagram that may not be posted here. @andyglassimpressions

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2019

NEW 3D

NEW 3DWow. If you haven't made an end grain cutting board like this, you might want to store up some patience first.
It was fun and challenging at the same time.
The 3-5m pieces are slick and try to move, when doing the glue up. I finished with mineral oil.
Enjoy

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2019

Cowardly Panel Plane

Cowardly Panel PlaneWhat else do you call a plane that's yellow?Second iteration of a 12 inch panel plane in my signature style. Laminated Osage Orange body with a curly ambrosia maple tote. As with my other planes, the sole, rods and cap are all stainless steel. Several updates/changes to this one. I've started using a steel throat block for better iron support and stability, this is the first one completed in that manner. You can see it in this progress pic.Other changes include insetting the tote, where the first one of this size was laminated clear to the rear and I now have a logo stamp to mark the planes. As with most new techniques & features, there has been a learning curve but it was worth it to develop an even better final product.Thanks for looking.

posted at: 12:00am on 14-Apr-2019

Single Bracket Storage Shelf of Dowel

Single Bracket Storage Shelf of DowelWhilst looking for inspiration to finish off my rifle the other afternoon I came up with this single bracket shelf idea. I needed something easy to build.All doweled together using my new jig. The shelf light weight. The bracket super strong, Id have to say the weakest link is the wall anchors.I used the shelf to sit my over engineered dowelmax storage box on at the top of the stairs to my Small workshop.Maybe I,ll post this on the dowelmax versus domino boring old thread. (My tip is that you couldn't get much stronger than this shelf.)Thanks for reading
Regards
Anthony

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2019

Drift Wood for Essential Oils

Drift Wood for Essential Oils This was a request from DIL from when I was in Sydney, she wanted a stand to display her Bottles of Essential Oils.I had a piece of drift wood that just happened to pass by so I used that.Construction Processs:First up I needed to obtain a flat datum to work with so I made a jig to hold the piece so I could feed it into my thicknesser.I removed the bulk of the high spots in the material with my Arbortech Turbo Planner then fed it into the thicknesser.Once that was complete I drilled suitable sized holes with a forstner bits, totaling about 15 or so of each size.The next step was then out with the wire brush and remove all the aged surface. Upon cleaning it all up it was simply finished off with a coat of sanding sealer.Took me a couple of hours from start to finish.The tools used:-
Arbortech Turbo Planer
Guinevere sanding system
Thicknesser
Drill Press and two forstner bits
Water based Sanding Sealer.What sort of timber is it?...well I have no idea actually, but it looks OK.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2019

Storage cabinet

Storage cabinetI had the screw and nail bins mounted on the wall. So much wall space I felt was wasted and we can always use more storage space. It is on a two by two 1 1/2 popular, popular face frame, 3/4 oak veneer and walnut door and drawer fronts. I had all of the wood except the 3/4 oak veneer.

posted at: 12:00am on 13-Apr-2019

C - Table with built in shelf

C - Table with built in shelfMy wife has a home office that she recently purchased a Chaise Lounger , its a model that doesn't have any arms on it, so it makes it difficult to read or drink a cup of coffee at. So She asked me to come up with a idea of a table.
So I came across a lot of style's of table that would work great but something stuck out about this style of table and mainly it was the joint that was used to assemble it, its called a finger joint (box joint) and its simply a series of fingers and slot that when mated together forms an extremely strong joint as well as looking very attractive and not as hard to complete as say a dovetail joint. My blog detailing this project goes into a lot more detail but these are the steps I took in making this project, but please feel free to click the below links for he Project Blog and Complete plans on making it.Materials NeededI wanted to use by some 1” x 12” Oak and Maple woods to make this but my home center didn't have any so I opted to buy some 1” thick Stair threads so that is what I did. I basically ripped the bullnose edging of and I was at the races and for a fraction of the cost as well.Crosscutting the partsOnce I ripped the bullnose edging that was on the workpieces I turned to my crosscut sled to cut them to final size and to be honest I spent more time in this project in the glue up than any other phase. This project only had 5 parts to it.
The Box Joint JigI actually didn't have a box joint jig for my table saw so I went about making one, I actually put a lot of time into this jig because I really like using finger joints in projects so I put together this little jig for the table-saw that I found on www.instructables.comwww.instructables.comCutting the finger jointsWith the jig built it was time to cut the box joints, since there were only 5 pieces project this didn't take very long and within about 90 minutes I had cut all box joints into their respective parts. Some parts had both ends of a board jointed with box joints and other boards only needed 1 end with them.
I actually needed to add a sacrificial fence to my fence on the jig because a couple of the boards were too tall and felt a little on the nervous side running them through the 1/2” wide dado stack.Dry Assembly & Clamping AidsTo aid me during the glue-ups I actually had another side project and that was to make some right angled clamping jigs I had some scrap MDF so I banged out about 6 of them to aid in the clamping of the table parts. It was crucial that all joints were at 90 because it only had 1 side to it and I didn't want the table tipping over. I also always do a dry assembly to rehearse the glue up and know were to add clamps. This table took a week to glue up because I didn't want to take a chance on working on a table section and the glue was not fully cured, so I added a piece of the table every day leaving the glue dry for 24 hours for each joint.
Here are the right angled clamping jigs
One section all clamped up.Glue-UpLike I had mentioned I glue up one section at a time so as that it had 24 hours to cure between project sections. I also used a few tricks to help me with limited cleanup of glue squeeze-out along the joint line, in theory you place tape adjacent to the joint so any squeeze out goes onto the tape and them once cured you just rip up the tape and you have a nice clean line, this worked great and I will be using this in the future.SandingIn between each glued up section I sanded the parts with 150 grit and finally once the table was assembled I used 220 grit that was probably overkill but I didn't have any other grit other than courser grits.Finished TableI finally applied 3 coats of Minwax Polyacrylic finish and sanded in between each coat and I have to say that the table came out great and the wife is very happy.Well that is all I have and thanks for reading, please feel free to check out my website where I blogged in more details and have plans for plans for for sale on my site.

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Apr-2019

1932 Chevy hot rod

1932 Chevy hot rod This is my finish project ,added some flames on the side and built a glass case to put it in

posted at: 12:00am on 12-Apr-2019

Assembly etc table

Assembly etc tableI often suffer from acute analysis paralysis when it comes to projects in the shop. Case and point – I've been in dire need of some kind of an assembly table for decades and in that time have looked at literally hundreds of ideas, gathering features, designing in Sketch Up and even buying components. At some point last month while kneeling on the concrete floor of my shop glueing up a project I decided I'd had enough and regardless of still not being sure of exactly what I wanted, roughly finalised something and started cutting wood. It took longer to build than I thought (as does everything in my world it seems) and evolved quite a bit as I started trimming it out with the shelves, drawers and the various clamping options but even with some more details still to be completed, I'm largely happy with how it turned out and it has already become the centerpoint of my work space.
Here's a few pics of the build in process:

posted at: 12:04am on 11-Apr-2019

Repurposed Pine Box

Repurposed Pine BoxThis pine box was given to my late wife Phyllis, and had her initials carved into the top in large letters. After a divorce (and marrying me) the initials were no longer correct, so she asked me to shave off the top and carve a new design. The new design by Wayne Barton features oak leaves and a simple chip carved center. White Pine – 7-1/4” x 9-1/2”

posted at: 12:04am on 11-Apr-2019

Drunken Cutting Board.

Drunken Cutting Board.I had a lot of fun making this. Couldn't for the life of me remember how it was done so looked up a couple from LJ'S. Thanks Guys for the help.
This one measures 11.5in x 16.5in and is 1.5in thick.
I found two panels in Bunnings, one white wood and the other was shades of brown, only trouble was some of the brown disappeared when I sanded it flat.
BUT YOU GET THAT SOMETIMES.
Finished with food oil.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking.
C & C WelcomeBob.

posted at: 12:04am on 11-Apr-2019

Zebrano bentwood ring

Zebrano bentwood ringZebrano bentwood ring. Working with veneer when making rings is such a different kettle of fish—99% no power tools, except for the sneaky finish with a handheld drill :p

posted at: 12:01am on 10-Apr-2019

Shelving Unit

Shelving UnitHello AllI was back on the honey do list the last week or so and my wife asked me to remedy the storage solution that we currently had down stairs next to our washer and dryer in the basement. We were currently storing all the detergent and fabric softener on a very old chair so I decided to use up some scrap sheet goods that I had lying around.Here is the old set up.DESIGNI went to my Sketchup program and through this model together keeping in mind vertain dimensions that I needed, although I hated that chair that we were using I like the foot print that it occupied so I didn't want to make my new unit any bigger, I also wanted to place a trash can on the bottom shelf so I spaces the bottom shelf the appropriate distance from the middle shelf so as to fit it in.
Here is my Sketchup ModelMATERIALS USED
I had so much veneered MDF lying around that was given to me some time ago and to be honest I really don't like using MDF but I had a few different veneered panels I chose to use it any way it was only for the basement and no one would ever really see it. But the funny thing was as the project progressed I was doing things such as using hardwoods and adding curves and visual interesting traits to the case that looks like I could store it upstairs. I usually practice things on basement and workshop projects that I don't do on expensive projects in the main part of the house, you could say they are my experimental projects.Most of the panels I used were 3/4” MDF and I also used some 3/4' solid oak and maple for the edge banding on the sides.SOLID WOOD EDGE-BANDINGAs I mentioned I used solid wood edge-banding to cover the ugly MDF edges on pieces that will be visible. Although this is not hard to do it is a little time consuming here are the steps that I took in applying the edge banding to the case sides. I took an oversized blank and since I decided to use biscuits to attach these edges to the MDF panels I needed to mark a line where the slots needed to be applied using my biscuit jointer.
Once I used my biscuit jointer to cut the slots I took the blank over to my table-saw and ripped them along each edge of where the slots were located. I use this method because its safer to cut the biscuit slots into a wider workpiece than a narrow one. Added glue to both the MDF side and the edge banding and clamped them all together. Used my router with a flush trim bit to even up the edges of the solid wood it was a little oversized but once you use the router its like it was always a solid panel.
Here is the case sides with the edge-banding clamped and glued in place.JOINERY TIMEI decided to use Rabbet and Dado joints to assembly the case work so after consulting my plans on where to locate the dadoes I installed the dado stack that matched the shelves wood thickness and went about placing matching dadoes in each of the sides as that was the only workpieces in this project that were to receive the cut outs.
Also there was a very good reason for installing the solid wood edge banding before I tackled the joinery part of the project and that is simply because it is much easier to cut one solid panel with the dado stack instead of cutting individual pieces and hope the line up later.
The sides were to receive the following:
2 dadoes
2 rabbets
Here are the case sides with the dadoes and rabbet's cut into the inside facesSHAPING THE SIDES & SHELF FRONTSI wanted to add some visual interest aspects to the case and I decided to achieve this by doing these two things:
Adding a curved solid wood feature to each side. To achieve this I needed the a solid piece of maple and turning it into a curve design. To attach this piece to the side I again turned to my biscuit jointer and attached it using biscuits and glue. To cut the shape I roughly drew and outline pleasing to the eye, cut this design out on my band saw and then did little more shaping using my oscillating belt sander.
As far as the shelf front go I decided to add two different router profiles to the front an back edges of the top of the piece. I will also be removing a section f the shelf front so as that I can just glue it in front of the shelf and that way the shelf front will be flush with the rest of the case sides.THE GLUE UP The glue up was very simple I decided to glue and screw 1 side at a time and then once one side was completed I turned the case to the other side and glue and screwed that together. Unfortunately I don't have too many pictures of this except the one below.FINISHED SHELVING UNITThe only thing that was left to do was to give he unit 1 more coat of paint and well I didn't take any pictures of that as it didn't offer much in the line of valuable content. I really like how the unit turned out, but to be honest MDF is not my favorite material and if I could do it again I would definitely use cabinet grade plywood and then stain it. There is just something about MDF that I just don't like, it cannot take a screw very well and well to be honest it hates glue, it just absorbs it all day long ad nothing sticks that is why I needed to incorporate metal fixings to the case sides. One more thing I know that plywood has a very thin wood veneer on the face well this MDF had even less and I could not sand the unit because it would remove the paper thin veneer that was on the panel.But all in all it was only for a basement utility unit and looks really didn't matter that much and it fulfilled a need near my washer/dryer.

posted at: 12:01am on 10-Apr-2019

Wine glass Box

Wine glass BoxHad to make a wine glass box, glass stems, cork screw, and stopper for a wedding. Didn't have a lot of time so it's not up to my standards, but the happy couple were pleased.

posted at: 12:01am on 10-Apr-2019

Aluminum Extrusions For Woodworking

I wanted a way to temporarily attach featherboards, or a tall fence, or anything else I might think of, to my table saw fence. I saw people using aluminum extrusions clamped to their fences for this purpose, and I liked how it seemed to work really well, and it could be removed as easily as it was mounted. So I set out to find a good source for these pieces of metal convenience.

A quick google search for "aluminum extrusions", turns up dozens of companies that sell them, but I didn't want to have them shipped, because they can be bent in transit, and I wanted a six foot length, so the shipping weight and cost were prohibitive.

I ended up going with Grainger. They offer lots of different sizes and shapes, and they have retail locations all over the U.S., and I found one just 20 minutes away. If you're in the Providence, RI area, it's located at 78 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI 02888.

i didn't want anything too tall or too heavy. After paging through their extensive online catalog, I settled on item #5JTA6. I got a six foot length, that is 3" tall, and 1" thick. The three slots it has are each just a tad over 1/4" wide. It cost $54.64 ($9.11/ft), including tax, and there was no shipping charge, because I could just go pick it up once they notified me it was ready.

After I got it home, I measured my fence, and cut an equally long piece from the six foot length using a metal cutting chop saw. It cut like butter. You will need to file the edges of the cut side to smooth them over. Then I needed a quick way to temporarily attach it to my fence. I decided to use three 3/4" flat-head screws that would slide into the middle slot on the back of the extrusion, and into a piece of nice flat PVC "board" of roughly the same size. I counterbored three holes on the back side of the board, so that the bolts just poked through, and I could get a washer and nut on each one, and they were still below the surface of the board, so that it would sit flush against the fence.

Then I used universal fence clamps to attach the pvc/extrusion combination to my table saw fence.

I couldn't be happier with the final outcome, and I'm still pondering what cool things I can do with the rest of the extrusion. I'll post anything new that I do as well.

posted at: 9:44am on 09-Apr-2019
path: /Woodworking/Resources | permalink | edit (requires password)

Entry step

Entry stepMade this step for a house I no longer own. Made it in “mahogany” (sapele I think) so I would not have to maintain it.At the very moment we were leaving the house to move out of state, I yelled “Oh… WAIT!” and I ran over and grabbed the step. I plan to break it down and repurpose the wood!Still, this was a sturdy and useful piece when in use. Left outside in the weather (lake effect snow, etc.) and it always had a nice warm feel to sit on it. Finished with teak oil (whatever that is) and it held up real nice without ever needing refinishing. Used stainless screws to hold it together, but it was unnecessary because everything is still tight as a drum from the titebond III.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2019

Charger Station for Shop

Charger Station for ShopQuick and dirty charger station. I don't like to spend time on shop furniture.(Fun fact: that festool charger used to belong to the wood whisperer! I picked up his old Carvex.)

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2019

QD Can Holder

QD Can HolderWhen people really want to grill, but they don't really want to grill, they make kebabs.For me, when I really want to work in my shop but I don't really want to start a whole thing, I try to use up the bits and pieces of project ply kicking around.This time is was for a beer can caddy. (Most caddies aren't designed to accommodate macho pint cans.)Made three like this. Half in ply and nails! Very sturdy. Finished with chalk board paint.Still trying to identify worthy recipients of the other two I made.

posted at: 12:00am on 09-Apr-2019

Cherry Book Stand

Cherry Book StandBook holder or stand made of one small piece of cherry. Super easy and basic design. Would make a decent gift if batched out. It could also be modified and become an ipad or tablet holder.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2019

Walnut bedside tables

Walnut bedside tablesDaughter wanted a couple of bedside tables. Had this walnut stored since 1982, and finally got my shop up and running, so this was my first project. Used Old Masters Blended Tung Oil Varnish.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2019

walking stick

walking stickwalking stick i made for my wife from a wood dowel and wrapped paracord handle.

posted at: 12:00am on 08-Apr-2019

1920's Ford "C" Cab Farm Truck for a little boy's first birthday

1920's Ford "C" Cab Farm Truck for a little boy's first birthday 1920's Ford “C” Cab Farm Truck for a little boy's first birthday.After seeing the Ford “C” Cab Farm Truck I made for the local boys & girls club Easter Guessing competition our youngest daughter asked if I could make a similar but smaller version for Asher's cousin Sammy's first birthday.I had the pattern for the “C” Cab so it wasn't too difficult to scale down the farm truck to a smaller tray back truck with not too much extra detail to ensure it's playable for a little bloke.The timber is a mixture of Merbau, Spotted Gum, Blackheart Sassafras with Beech Wheels while the finish is my home made Wipe On Poly.

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Apr-2019

One more rattle for McKinlee

One more rattle for McKinleeThe last rattle with the marble in it was a little too big for our great granddaughter's little hand so I made this one a little smaller. It is made from 2 flat pieces of cherry with a groove bored in each side and glued together with few BB's inside. It is 4” in diameter and the ring is 1/2” diameter with a 1/4” hole n the center.It is buffed and waxed with Carnuba waxcheers, Jim

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Apr-2019

Comments:

Taming the beast.... belt sander stand

Taming the beast.... belt sander standI've had this 4×24 Bosch belt sander for some 23 years and used it extensively when building my timber frame house.But when it comes to woodworking, it has proven to be a project wrecker, as it can remove a lot of material quickly, and if you let it rock or tilt it can easily put a divot in your project.So for some time, I've wanted to make a stand with a fence, but the box designs I've seen look pretty heavy and limit access to the controls. So I used 1×1 80/20 extrusions with aa Aluminum plate for the spine.The stand holds the sander securely to the base and plumb to the fence, and can be used in 3 different orientations. It has pins spaced to match the hole pattern in my downdraft outfeed table to keep it securely in place when in use.Used it today for the first time and all seemed to function well.Thanks for looking in,Matt

posted at: 12:01am on 07-Apr-2019

Table Saw Storage Drawers

Table Saw Storage DrawersAdded these plywood drawers underneath my table saw extension table after I got tired of walking around my Saw to the other side of the shop every time i needed a push stick, blade, jig or feather board. Now, all the things I need for my table saw are right next to the saw. No telling how much time I save with those things closer at hand!

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2019

Large Panel Sled

Large Panel SledThis is a 24 x 36 panel sled was made to trim the edges on a large laminated desktop for a desk I was making. I closely followed the Sled design by Frank Howarth illustrated in his YouTube video entitled Big Table Saw Sled (see https://youtu.be/4p0UTVUXh48). The Sled is made from 1/2 Russian birch with an oak fence and has some unique features in that it rides in only one miter slot and has only one fence on the front of the Sled rather than the rear. These features, along with two mounted hold down clamps, allow the Sled to be used with very large panels.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2019

Mahogany Writing Desk

Mahogany Writing DeskThis desk was made from the plans given in the article Providence Writinng Desk by Mario Rodriquez in Popular Woodworking April 2009 issue #175. The Desk is made from true Honduras mohogany exported before Honduras stopped exporting Mahogany. The drawer runners and guides are made from hard maple. Floating drawer bottoms are made from 1/4 russian birch plywood.Finishing was accomplished by first sanding with 80, 120, 150 and then 220 grit sandpaper. Then, per the authors direction, a coat of sanding sealer was applied and rubbed out using #0000 steel wool. Then I applied 3 coats of clear satin brushing lacquer. Then, I sanded very lightly with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and rubbed the desk out with wool lube and #0000 steel wool again. Finally, a coat of Minwax finishing wax was applied.

posted at: 12:00am on 06-Apr-2019

Another Bowl

Another BowlCompleted a grouping with this latest bowl.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Apr-2019

Solid Cedar Bench Seats

Solid Cedar Bench SeatsI made these solid cedar wagon wheel bench seats for a local restaurant. Still going strong after several years.

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Apr-2019

Train Set

Train SetWooden toy train set.Comments welcome

posted at: 12:00am on 05-Apr-2019

Part 1, Dust control on my model 113

Part 1, Dust control on my model 113Two layers of 1/8” hardboard, rare earth magnets.
So far so good, next add is a chute to the bottom.

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2019

Comments:

Desk with lift out for sewing machine

Desk with lift out for sewing machine They originally wanted a super long desk so she could keep her sewing machine on the end all the time.
This posed a logistics issue on getting it in the room etc.
so I proposed the lift mechanism. Same as the kitchen lift devices.
Plus I didn't want drawer or door pulls jutting out. So routed them in the 5/4 applied fronts and door.
Dovetails are cut by hand and the majority of the frame is mortise and Tenon.
Not sure if it's modern or arts &. Crafts. My own design. So maybe it should be called mix up style

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2019

WS3000 accessory box

WS3000 accessory boxFinally, I gave up and bought Work Sharp 3000, bought it used on amazon. The unit came OK – one rubber foot was lost and super fine sanding disk was glued with air bubbles. The leg was sent for free by customer support of Work Sharp (what a nice people!). And bubbles were removed with the needle and some efforts.
Pretty pleased with the device, but I am still learning to use it.As always, new tool needs some storage for accessories, in this case – glass disks, sand pads. So I built little box for them in F&D stile (”fast and dirty” :) ). The height and the length were determined by the salvaged pine(?) board. The width is obviously from the disk diameter. I almost did not have any cutoffs.I decided to challenge myself and my contractors TS for 45 miter cuts. It went OK, until I made few little mistakes while gluing up and clamping. But everything was saved/masked with sander and right angle photography.Made little jig with dowel key for routing dividers slots. It worked out great.1. Final result
2. Sketch Up project
3. Routing slots
4. Ready for glue up
5. Sanded and sprayed with poly-U
6. Dividers (and bottom) are lauan plywood scrap pieces

posted at: 12:00am on 04-Apr-2019

Trestle Table

Trestle TableThis is my version of The Wood Whishperer Trestle Table.I made it of a local Brazilian wood called Araa. The dark parts are Black Canela.Plans are available at Mark Spugnolo website: https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/legs-mt-dimpling-knock-trestle-table-pt-1/

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2019

Walnut/Cherry Segmented salad bowl

Walnut/Cherry Segmented salad bowlBeen awhile since I've posted, but here we go. I've spent a lot of hours this week working on my largest ever (86 pieces) segmented salad bowl. Walnut and cherry. It's 14.25×6.25. I did use for the first time the ”miterset” jig to cut all my segments and it worked great. My new Jet 16/32 drum sander was great for getting the rings nice and flat. Almost done just hoping I can use my vacuum Chuck so I can finish the bottom. What I found interesting was the color variations in the walnut, considering I cut it all from the same slab. First mistake I made – when I created the glue block with a tenon my tenon was much too small to handle a bowl this large. I sort of anticipated this and had already turned a new larger tenon in the bottom, it did snap off sending the 1/2 finished bowl to the floor. Once I got it re-chucked on the larger tenon I was able to continue but did have to redo the outside to remove some dents and scratches. I used General Finishes Salad Bowl finish, 3 coats with 600 grit sanding in between. This will be a food safe finish in about 30 days once completely dry. Quite happy with the end result.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2019

Chess Piece Storage Box and Turned 24K Gold pieces

Chess Piece Storage Box and Turned 24K Gold piecesAfter posting my Chess Board, Wayne suggested some turnings so here they are. The whole set was put together as a set for my son. Cocobolo chess box with curley maple highlights. Inside the box, turned curley maple and claro walnut pieces with 24K gold highlights and bases.

posted at: 12:00am on 03-Apr-2019

Maple Burl Rolling Pin

Maple Burl Rolling PinRecently I was graciously given a maple burl slab by a fellow LJ friend. Here is the result of my first working with of the slab. I think this rolling pin turned out fairly nicely, probably my favorite of the seventeen I have made. I did discover, however, that lathe chisels don't really like burl; it was definitely worth the work though!I had a little bit of fun with the finish, which is french polish. Being my first time french polishing, I was pleasantly surprised how well the finish looks! It took somewhere in the realm of eight hours to complete; it is 24” long, and has a diameter of 3.5 inches. It definitely has some heft to it, weighing in at 2.5 lbs; I really like a large pin though, makes it really fill solid. This rolling pin also has a wall mound for decoration for when it is not in use. Overall, it was a fun rolling pin to make, made from a wood that really pops under a good finish!
-Dale M.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Apr-2019

Island Table

Island TableKitchen Island Table my son-inlaw wanted to build. My son-inlaw Mike built the base, I made the tabletop, another son-inlaw kevin and I put epoxy on the top, then Mike and kevin installed the top to the base. Group effort.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Apr-2019

Scrap wood cake slice

Scrap wood cake sliceQuick scrap wood project. Not too shabby for a first go, I reckon :) Handle is mahogany, blade is oak.

posted at: 12:00am on 02-Apr-2019

In Honor of April

In Honor of AprilI cut this in honor of April the giraffe at the Animal Adventure Center in New York. She had a baby boy around a week ago. I watched the birth with thousands of other people on live cam. It was pretty amazing. You can see her and her baby here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPRVy1jat4

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2019

Model T Ford

Model T FordToy vintage car.Comments welcome.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2019

Comments:

Nut cracking mallet & bottle stoppers

Nut cracking mallet & bottle stoppersJust a few minor turnings from scraps of oak & purple heart.

posted at: 12:00am on 01-Apr-2019